Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #31
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
They'll just pull out the "this is the greatest change in Commodores history" line again. Should be able to fool the masses.
Yes, but the last GMH fooling has seemed to last only 6mths worth of sales so far.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #32
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Falcon sold 2700 and Commodore 3100, it probably means that Cruze has stolen a few sales too...
I see many of them...possibly more than Mazda3s.

That 2700 Falcon units I assume would be far more financially valuable to Ford than the 3100 to Holden. I do not see many XTs anymore. I see mostly XRs and G-Series, and they look noticeably better than the base model.

In comparison, most VEs I see are Omegas and from the front they look noticeably cheap and plain.

Are people gaining sense?

Would be interested to see Fiesta's sales. Apparently they can't get them here fast enough, despite the high price for its class. That's good. People prepared to pay a little more for something a little better.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #33
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Who says they're April build ?

they were listed with the some of the cars in this link:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...12#post3167512

Certainly not old stock lying around.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #34
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Would Ford be making money on these cars? 32990 driveaway for April build XR6s is just crazy.
It'd cost more to have 5-Speed Auto models sitting on the lots for the next six months. They need to clear this stock and get the ZF auto into circulation. As the factory that produces the Falcon 5-Speed unit is ceasing production, I'm betting Ford have got access to a lot of stock at extremely cheap prices, hence drive-away XR6 prices and G6 LE (two runs of).
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When Terri gets its fat upgrade, they should say,

'There's a lot said about so called Australian cars nowadays. Fact remains that Territory is the only Australian-built and designed SUV. With class-leading comfort, power and refinement, you'd be letting your country down not having one.'

That's a pretty bad effort, but HOlden has those absolutely lame commercials with that female voice that is meant to sound so matter-of-fact when it's really just dazzling people with pyrite instead of gold.

Should also make mention that despite its size, its petrol use is very favourable compared to the smaller Captiva

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #36
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hate the "feel good" jingle they play in the Holden ads..can't feel good about a car that looks like the ones they're trying to flog.

Problem is, the lowest common denominator still buys these without a second look at ford. Good thing sales are on the rise for ford.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #37
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not saying others dont do it, but surely that is just a blatant attempt to get more cars "registered".
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I hate the "feel good" jingle they play in the Holden ads..can't feel good about a car that looks like the ones they're trying to flog.

Problem is, the lowest common denominator still buys these without a second look at ford. Good thing sales are on the rise for ford.
Somebody in the last couple of weeks said that Holden has a more loyal following than Ford.

If you asked the population about which car you consider to be Australian, most of the idiotic masses would say Holden. Now, they may be, but their advertising about "Holden means a great deal to Australia' and all that stuff has implied a lot of things.

I said before that with my Geelong membership, the club was good enough to send me a cap. On the side is a 'Ford' logo. I had people asking me, 'Why are you wearing a Ford cap (actually a GFC cap!)? They're American.'

Ford needs to be more direct and aggressive in their advertising at times I think, but also remain 100% factual with no spin.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #39
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'm a firm believer in buying Australian made, but certainly not 100% of the time. I drink imported beers occasionally and enjoy American crime novelists. I eat a variety of food from all different countries. So for me to drive a car whose companies origins are in the USA but whose major design and componentry is in Australia, is kind of a win win when you think that the car is such good value for money AND it's keeping jobs in Australia. Reason enough for me to salute ford as a very Australian brand.
But as you say Matt, it's the perception of the majority that counts. They see the ads played constantly and it's in the psyche of many Australians to see that Holden is the great Aussie brand. I wish ford could do the same, instill a feeling of real australianism.
Without the crappy jingle.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #40
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
If Falcon sold 2700 and Commodore 3100, it probably means that Cruze has stolen a few sales too...
I see many of them...possibly more than Mazda3s.

That 2700 Falcon units I assume would be far more financially valuable to Ford than the 3100 to Holden. I do not see many XTs anymore. I see mostly XRs and G-Series, and they look noticeably better than the base model.

In comparison, most VEs I see are Omegas and from the front they look noticeably cheap and plain.

Are people gaining sense?

Would be interested to see Fiesta's sales. Apparently they can't get them here fast enough, despite the high price for its class. That's good. People prepared to pay a little more for something a little better.
Yeah, i'd be hoping to see Fiesta crack the 1000 sales mark again.Supply will be the key but it sure seems that Fiesta is getting a following.

I do think that Cruze has taken some sales from Commodore.

I also think if Commodore sold 3100 for the month then Corolla will have outsold it. I kind of wonder too if the hybrid Camry (~600 in March) may have taken a bite off 3.0L Omega Commodores?

Hopefully Ford will have cracked about 5,000 locally built for the month. Looks like they might've

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #41
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

With a difference of 400 units between them it would be interesting to see if the Falcon jumped up a few spots, or the VE dropped a couple. Reading into the carsales article I can't tell which is the case, as they say Commodore is likely to retain it's no1 position, but growth was shown in all sectors.
Maybe there's quite a few models sitting in between that gap of 400.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #42
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Are you Trolling or misrepresenting the data ?

2 or those 8 vehicles are April build. How many other April build discount cars are in the 2700 ? Hmmmm ?

Sounds to me like you're trying to make light of Ford results and link them to some theory you have ....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #43
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you Trolling or misrepresenting the data ?

2 or those 8 vehicles are April build. How many other April build discount cars are in the 2700 ? Hmmmm ?

Sounds to me like you're trying to make light of Ford results and link them to some theory you have ....

Yep you caught me definately misrepresenting the data, because a March 2010 built car sold in April is a world of difference to a April 2010 car sold in April.

The biggest misrepresentation of the facts is that Ford has already sold every car they make. We have cars only weeks old from the factory being registered on the last day of April and discounted to buggery. - So much for chasing profits not market share.

Hey I know I probably take the devils advocate role a bit far sometimes, but that doesnt mean that Im a troll. I think Ford deserves every sale they get, as the car is outstanding. I just think a critical eye on the company is healthy for any Ford enthusiast, or we could turn into blind sheep (a bit like Holden supporters haha)
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep you caught me definately misrepresenting the data, because a March 2010 built car sold in April is a world of difference to a April 2010 car sold in April.

The biggest misrepresentation of the facts is that Ford has already sold every car they make. We have cars only weeks old from the factory being registered on the last day of April and discounted to buggery. - So much for chasing profits not market share.

Hey I know I probably take the devils advocate role a bit far sometimes, but that doesnt mean that Im a troll. I think Ford deserves every sale they get, as the car is outstanding. I just think a critical eye on the company is healthy for any Ford enthusiast, or we could turn into blind sheep (a bit like Holden supporters haha)
It would be nice then to see you take a "critical eye" as you call it to your beloved Holden in the same way from time to time then if you want to be seen as balanced in your views and not seen as a closet troll...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #45
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We have cars only weeks old from the factory being registered on the last day of April and discounted to buggery. - So much for chasing profits not market share.
as was mentioned earlier.. i don't think ford did this to "chase market share".. but are using up 5 speed auto boxes to make way for the ZF standard models that are coming..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #46
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default 50 years, six commemorative Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
as was mentioned earlier.. i don't think ford did this to "chase market share".. but are using up 5 speed auto boxes to make way for the ZF standard models that are coming..
Not to mention these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoint
Ford Falcon celebrates its 50th anniversary with special edition G Series and XR sedans and utes

The Ford Motor Company of Australia is preparing to introduce a six-strong fleet of anniversary sedans and utes, as the Falcon approaches its first half century on sale.

The celebratory Falcons will comprise G Series and XR models wearing special garb including badging, colour accents, interior embellishments and extra equipment.

G Series anniversary models will include G6E and G6E Turbo variants featuring "unique accent colour treatments with 'Medium Stealth' touches on the upper and lower grilles, and rear bumper insert, plus 'Light Stealth' accents on the fog lamp bezels and alloy wheels."

The seats will get new leather trim embroidered with 50th anniversary logos, while a special interior trim will appear on the "centre console, ICC, instrument panel and front door spears."

Standard equipment will include satellite navigation with Suna traffic channel, and G Series 19-inch alloy wheels with special accent treatment.

Two new exterior colours will also become available for G Series (and other Falcons) at 50th anniversary time: Havana, which is "a soft neutral mocha metallic with smoky brown graduated hues and a dark, deeper bronze highlight" and, in August, a "dark charcoal with a hint of blue featuring a dark, sparkling luxury metallic highlight," dubbed Edge.

The XR anniversary Falcons include XR6 and XR6 Turbo sedans and Utes and, similar to the G Series anniversary models, are treated to exterior and interior embellishments, as well as a new exterior hue -- "an intense and saturated effervescent burnt orange" called Sunburst. Ford says this will be the "hero" colour for XR models.

XR anniversary Falcons will get XR50 badging, body stripes and a 50th anniversary logo on the front guards. XR50 identification will also be found on seat logos, floor mats, instrument graphics and door sills. Dual zone climate control and a leather-trimmed steering wheel will be standard.

The XR6 Turbo will add leather seat trim (the regular XR6 gets part-leather), premium audio system, rear parking sensors and specially detailed 19-inch XR alloy wheels (18-inch for the XR6).

Ford has not yet announced prices for the Falcon anniversary models, although the company has flagged they will offer value for money rather than just 50-year exclusivity.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-falcons-19247
Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #47
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me put it like this the dealer I bought my focus XR5 from struggled to get one, and they got one by swapping a brand spanker g6et for it - hadn't been off the truck a day and it was gone, and you tell me there is no demand for Falcons?

The way I see it the other dealer had the Focus to take up room in their showroom because they couldn't get their hands on a Falcon due to the fact that as soon as they did it went out the door. Compare this to holden buffeting sales by registering a crapload of cars to inflate the figures, yea I can see who's cars are in more demand can you?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #48
greens_tuf

Strong Sales in April Boost Car Market

5th May, 2010

Solid sales across all vehicle segments have resulted in the second highest April result on record.

Official VFACTS data released by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) shows that 81,401 passenger cars, SUVs and commercial vehicles were sold in April, up 27.3 per cent (or 17,436 vehicles) on the same month in 2009.

“There are signs of strength across a broad range of vehicle segments and buyer types,” FCAI Chief Executive Andrew McKellar said.

“The strong result is certainly very encouraging and shows the competition between the brands is intense but challenges still remain,” he said.

“It has to be expected that recent interest rate increases will have some dampening effect on demand over coming months,” Mr McKellar said.

“However, the industry is hopeful that interest rates must now be at a level where further increases will be more difficult to justify,” he said.

The SUV segment again led the charge in April with an increase of 38 per cent; followed by passenger cars (up 28.5 per cent), light commercials (up 15.7 per cent) and then heavy commercials with a 5.4 per cent increase.

Toyota retained the top selling position in April with a market share of 20.5 per cent; followed by Holden with 12.2 per cent and then Ford with 10.1 per cent.

Year-to-date, 333,228 vehicles have been sold, an increase of 20.3 percent compared to the first four months of 2009.
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #49
MexicanBatman
Banned

just a question

how do Toyota sell so bloody many corollas, they are the blandest bit of gear this side of an Avalon, haven't really changed in a hundred years, yet they sell stacks of the buggers

to who? who buys a corolla?
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #50
mcnamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
just a question

how do Toyota sell so bloody many corollas, they are the blandest bit of gear this side of an Avalon, haven't really changed in a hundred years, yet they sell stacks of the buggers

to who? who buys a corolla?
Fleets buy them and Governments Toyota has strong fleet pricing
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #51
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And Asian people love Toyotas. They mainly seem to buy them and Hondas.

Last edited by EDManual; 05-05-2010 at 03:38 PM.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

^^PMSL

Well hopefully Ford have gained ground, if its better than previous it can only be a good thing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #53
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

That's quite drop for the VE compared with March. I don't think its a case of the Falcon gaining ground, I think the Falcon is retaining its niche with the capacity that is available, but I dare say the VE has dropped a place or two - although I'd like to know why. Certainly isn't through lack of marketing.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #54
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think the Corolla is one of the best looking small cars out there.. To me, it is better looking than Madaz 3, I30, Curze, & Focus. The only small cars I think look better is the Lancer & Golf.. I totally understand why they sell so well, add the reliability factor & you have a sales winner!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #55
The Snout

The Corolla is an icon of Aussie motoring as much as any car. Been a honest bit of gear for many people for many years and it takes a flogging without complaint. The current gen one looks perfectly fine.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #56
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I think 4Vman makes a good point.

Details / info can be misrepresented.

Do you have more info ?

Any evidence of more than one dealer registering 'a lot' of cars ?

Cars ARE sold to dealers, and the booking rate for dealers takes up 100 % of the build schedule. The dealers can do what they want with those cars... a % will be demos.

There are zero cars built to spec (BOS) which means that NIL are being built just to keep the line going.

As for Holden ? I'd say they have been building BOS to get their "numbers".

Otherwise there would be no downdays at Elizabeth. This rubbish about them 'preparing' for the 'New' model Commodore is just that... Rubbish !

I'm still waiting on data to show that a significant number of the 2700 April Falcons are made up of demo's and Ford 'playing' the numbers game.....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #57
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I think 4Vman makes a good point.

Details / info can be misrepresented.

Do you have more info ?

Any evidence of more than one dealer registering 'a lot' of cars ?

Cars ARE sold to dealers, and the booking rate for dealers takes up 100 % of

There are zero cars built to spec (BOS) which means that NIL are being built just to keep the line going.
the build schedule. The dealers can do what they want with those cars... a % will be demos.
As for Holden ? I'd say they have been building BOS to get their "numbers".

Otherwise there would be no downdays at Elizabeth. This rubbish about them 'preparing' for the 'New' model Commodore is just that... Rubbish !

I'm still waiting on data to show that a significant number of the 2700 April Falcons are made up of demo's and Ford 'playing' the numbers game.....
Ford are definately playing the numbers by giving big incentives on demos.. Dealers can't be competitive unless they run a certain number of demos, and with the incentive on registered XR6's for April its no wonder why dealers are registering them in huge numbers to get their bonus money and stay competitive with the other dealers.

You only have to look at the amount of registered demos on carsales to see this!! Search demo FG XR6 with lowest kms possible and see the price of them, starting at $29,990 drive away brand new one south australian delear has atleast 10 cars on there alone! Thats without looking at other variants registered as well, in particular FPV with most 2009 Plate FPVs being now registered to gain bonus money and in turn giving dealers more room to discount and get rid of them.

Problem with Ford is they have the wrong mix of cars at times, they run out of some cars and are overstocked with other cars, therefore making it hard for them to get a nice balance. Im not sure what their theory is with the current agreesive pricing, but I think we will see some interesting figures in the next 6 months!

Oh and i know one dealer in QLD that registered over 70 demos last month and he wasnt at the top of the tree!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 05-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #58
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Personally I think the Corolla is one of the best looking small cars out there.. To me, it is better looking than Madaz 3, I30, Curze, & Focus. The only small cars I think look better is the Lancer & Golf.. I totally understand why they sell so well, add the reliability factor & you have a sales winner!!
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The Corolla is such a non blip on my radar, I had to go to Toyota's website to confirm what the current model looks like - I don't think there's another car on the road that I would have to do that with. I'd agree with it being better looking than the current Mazda 3 and the I30 but not the Focus and I dare say, not the Cruze either.

I've got a mate at work that continually jabs me about buying a reliable, efficient and relatively fast Aurion (he loves his) and my continued response is that I'll consider one when driving a vehicle becomes a souless chore - and I don't ever see that happening.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #59
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Have a current corolla in the family atm almost 40 000k's and interior fit and finish is horrible. Compared to the previous focus, astra and previous gen corolla it's already starting to fall apart and rattle.

Couldn't fault the previous corolla. That was an honest car and well built. Quality at Toyota seems to have taken a slip. I too wonder why they sell so many.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #60
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Not to mention these:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-falcons-19247

Standard equipment will include satellite navigation with Suna traffic channel, and G Series 19-inch alloy wheels with special accent treatment.
I like the accents on those wheels, and certainly in a city like Sydney, Suna would come in handy.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post