Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What's more dangerous 10km over or 10km under?
10kms over is more dangerous 62 29.25%
10kms under is more dangerous 150 70.75%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Oh Goody. Another "How long is a piece of string" threads.

The correct answer would depend totally on the situation.

IE: 120kmh (10k over) is not dangerous on most highways but 40 in a 50 (10k under) zone would be impossible through some country town shopping streets.
Old 24-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #32
reece1
reece1

i see what you getting at. but 10km over is 20km/h faster than 10 under so alot more can go wrong at that speed. everthing happens significantly quiker and longer to pull it up.
but 10 under shits me to tears and is a pain. around the area i live we have some ridicuosly slow speed limits and more seem to pop up. just recently the princess hwy here that runs past the royal national park just dropped its speed from 90 to 80 and its a great stretch of road. its now painfully slow. problem is to many do gooders trying to save the world. although there intentions are good. accidents will still happen its inevitable. sad but its a way of motoring life. we cant keep changing the rules and making things stricter. just my 2 cents
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #33
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
I voted for under the speed limit for the reasons stated above that it causes people to attempt dangerous overtaking manouvres due to causing traffic to bank back. I know that is the reason there are numerous accidents on the Bruce Highway north of Cooroy. People going under the speed limit banking up traffic then people try overtaking when it isn't safe and bang! head on collision usually fatal.

Everyone has a different view on this topic, however I wrote what I did above due to witnessing several major near misses due to this behaviour on this road.

I agree with what this bloke says.

What really annoys me is if I'm doing the limit, or slightly over (say 5kph over) I often get idiots overtaking me and giving me the glare because i'm holding them up. No doubt about it we're living in a world now where there's just no patience anymore...Not sure if this is just a Sydney thing.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #34
irlewy86
Meep Meep

More dangerous in what way? Under you might cause an accident and over you might not be able to react in time?
Old 24-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #35
axeray

10k's under the limit on a freeway is more dangerous than doing 10k's over.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there should be more options even 10Ks under is risky in adverse conditions so safe driving speed is relative

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #37
Marduk
BFII XR6

To many other varying factors to say whether 10 over or 10 under would be more dangerous. It's not a clear cut black and white thing.
Old 24-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #38
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason71
What gets me is roads that used to 100k people did 90,
then they were reduced to 90k zones and people did 80,
then they have been further reduced to 80k and everyone seems to do 70!
Over this period of time the same roads have been improved and cars have been made "safer".
Correct.

However as others have mentioned. sometimes it depends on the road conditions at the time (like rain, wet roads, momentary hazards), where slowing down to below the limit may be appropriate at that instant.

Generally the speed limits around here in Vic are set 10 kph or so too slow, basically for those who dont know how to adjust their speed to the actual conditions and traffic at a particular moment, and just drive at the speed limit regardless.

But I voted for the second option as in the general sense its those driving 10k under the limit regardless in the safest conditions that are the unsafest (for others).
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #39
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Generally speaking, the people sitting under the speed limit are in a daze, inexperienced, not aware of their surroundings, braking when they don't need to (corners, when a truck is coming the other way), speed up when the road widens etc. These are the dangers on our road, and there are so many of them. And it gives me bad road rage, especially when I try to use cruise control.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

I have always believed that slower is not safer.

People are scared of the revenue makers!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeray
10k's under the limit on a freeway is more dangerous than doing 10k's over.
Not necessarily.. but one is illegal, the other isnt.
Traffic moving 10k's above the legal limit has the propensity to catch people out when changing lanes...
Slower traffic requires patience to negotiate, faster moving traffic requires unplanned reflex reactions that can lead to an accident.
It still is very dependant on conditions....
Speed "differential" is a problem....

Old 24-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #42
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Correct.

However as others have mentioned. sometimes it depends on the road conditions at the time (like rain, wet roads, momentary hazards), where slowing down to below the limit may be appropriate at that instant.

Generally the speed limits around here in Vic are set 10 kph or so too slow, basically for those who dont know how to adjust their speed to the actual conditions and traffic at a particular moment, and just drive at the speed limit regardless.

But I voted for the second option as in the general sense its those driving 10k under the limit regardless in the safest conditions that are the unsafest (for others).
You think the limits in Vic are too low... Adelaide has terrible limits. Hardly any above 60, long stretches of main/arterial roads at 50km/h, etc.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #43
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Ok, I'll add some conditions similar to what I experienced yesterday.

I had to drive the same stretch of road 7 times, so 14 trips up and back in a 3 tonne Isuzu truck loaded to its capacity one way, empty the other.
The truck could do the posted speed limit which was 90km/h with no problems (besides being slow getting there).

The conditions are clear, the sun is high in the sky the stretch of road is single lane which has a distance of about 20km.

There aren't many overtaking opportunities due to having consistent traffic in both directions and several long sweeping corners.

So, out of my 14 trips I counted 11 instances where I had to slow down because someone couldn't manage the speed limit for whatever reason.

The cars going slow were all less than 10 years old except 1, which was an older, larger truck. We can let that one off I guess.

So now that we have some sort of an idea of conditions.

In this specific case, does going slower make it safer?

IMHO It creates more situations for an accident occurring.

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 24-12-2008 at 02:39 PM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #44
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think people need to use common sense and general curtiousy (sp).

Get to the limit if your banking up/obstructing traffic, or pull over if you want to continue at your slower speed and let the cars behind pass.

If your over the limit, well most us know the financial consequences. But at least you aren't obstructing traffic. But also your chances of pulling up in an emergency is decreased. (of course that subject is debatable also)

thats my 2c

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Ok, I'll add some conditions similar to what I experienced yesterday.

I had to drive the same stretch of road 7 times, so 14 trips up and back in a 3 tonne Isuzu truck loaded to its capacity one way, empty the other.
The truck could do the posted speed limit which was 90km/h with no problems (besides being slow getting there).

The conditions are clear, the sun is high in the sky the stretch of road is single lane which has a distance of about 20km.

There aren't many overtaking opportunities due to having consistent traffic in both directions and several long sweeping corners.

So, out of my 14 trips I counted 11 instances where I had to slow down because someone couldn't manage the speed limit for whatever reason.

The cars going slow were all less than 10 years old except 1, which was an older, larger truck. We can let that one off I guess.

So now that we have some sort of an idea of conditions.

In this specific case, does going slower make it safer?

IMHO It creates more situations for an accident occurring.
The situation you've described is managable with patience... it might be frustrating and inconvenient but i don't see it as dangerous. The only thing dangerous about that situation would be you (or someone else) trying to overtake a line of traffic when it wasnt safe to do so...
Im my mind the "overtaker" was the person creating the risk or "danger", not the slower moving traffic...
Single lane roads are notorious for this kind of build up, patience is the key.

Old 24-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #46
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The situation you've described is managable with patience... it might be frustrating and inconvenient but i don't see it as dangerous. The only thing dangerous about that situation would be you (or someone else) trying to overtake a line of traffic when it wasnt safe to do so...
Im my mind the "overtaker" was the person creating the risk or "danger", not the slower moving traffic...
Single lane roads are notorious for this kind of build up, patience is the key.
Yeah it does create impatience.

People may be doing it more this time of year because of double demerits.
But as a couple of others have said, the whole watch the speedo like a hawk mentality is disturbing.

Is this really the type of driving that should be encouraged? Watch the speedo so you don't speed, because speed kills?

Personally I'd rather be 10kms over with my eyes ahead spotting any obstacles that may occur then have my head down checking the speedo every 5 seconds.

Maybe the solution is mandatory cruise control?
Old 24-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #47
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

It depends on where it is. On highways its very annoying when you have people sitting under the limit especially in the country. I've seen some people overtake in dangerous situations cause they get really inpatient.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole "speedo check is bad" arguement carries no weight IMO.. weather we like it or not we should all know what speed our vehicles are doing, we lived for decades without cruise control, it isnt that hard to keep your foot steady and give the speedo an occasional glance.
The problem here is people see speed limits as "mandatory to travel" at the posted limit, and see anyone who isnt as a menace, the limits are a max limit, not compulsary limit....

Old 24-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No simple answer. The question is rather stupid.

Going 10km/h faster on a straight highway may be fine, but that isn't taking into account the weather, your car's tyres, the condition of the road itself, visibility etc.
If it's foggy and raining like hell, I would slow down considerably, more than just 10km/h under the limit.

Going 10km/h slower I do not believe is ever much of a problem, unless you're one of those complete and utter who do it in the right lane, and are not turning right. However, it's annoying as hell when people do it in 50 or 60 zones.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #50
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
The problem here is people see speed limits as "mandatory to travel" at the posted limit, and see anyone who isnt as a menace, the limits are a max limit, not compulsary limit....
Geez for once I agree with 4Vman (it must be Christmas)

Most people forget that it is a speed LIMIT and anything under it is quite lawfull. Yes its a PITA, especially in my job, but thar aint noting we can do about it.
Old 24-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #51
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both depend upon weather,road,vehicle and driver conditions,there for i didn't vote.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #52
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been diligent in adhering to the arbitrary limits is nw Sydney for quite some time. I can instinctively know whether I am going about the speed limit.

I know by the change in the number of 'surprises' while driving that my driving quality has suffered to get there. Not unsafe, but less safe.
But even now, if the road gets better and the speed limit does not change my speed will creep up.

IMHO speed rarely causes accidents, but it does make them worse.
I think the real causes should be isolated, and infringements enforced.
I have taken the time to write a few of these up: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=31

Speed is easy to detect, so that is what they look to see in all accidents.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I have been diligent in adhering to the arbitrary limits is nw Sydney for quite some time. I can instinctively know whether I am going about the speed limit.

I know by the change in the number of 'surprises' while driving that my driving quality has suffered to get there. Not unsafe, but less safe.
But even now, if the road gets better and the speed limit does not change my speed will creep up.

IMHO speed rarely causes accidents, but it does make them worse.
I think the real causes should be isolated, and infringements enforced.
I have taken the time to write a few of these up: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=31

Speed is easy to detect, so that is what they look to see in all accidents.
Hmmm.... Statistically "speed above the posted limit" is a contributing factor or common denominator in the vast majority of road deaths on our roads, its a fact.
Speak to ambo's or police who regularly attend fatals, excessive speed is the number 1 factor, second to alcohol...
Excessive speed can kill, without question.
Weather that supports or negates the "speed kills" slogan i really don't care, its splitting hairs....

Old 24-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #54
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmm.... Statistically "speed above the posted limit" is a contributing factor
but not the "Single Cause" that it is usually heralded to be.

In fact the collected stats by the police dont actually include part of your sentence.
They sight excessive speed, not speed 'above the posted limit'

Except in the case of loosing control due to excessive speed (and no other catalyst), or traveling at a speed that did not allow another car to give way to you. There are very few occasions where speed will be the sole cause of an accident.

Policing speed is the easy way out, (it raises revenue too) but from all I have read does not seem to be directly correlated to the road toll.

BTW - I am in no way endorsing speeding, just saying that if we want safer roads we need to focus elsewhere as well - dont just take the easy way out.
Old 24-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
but not the "Single Cause" that it is usually heralded to be.

In fact the collected stats by the police dont actually include part of your sentence.
They sight excessive speed, not speed 'above the posted limit'

Except in the case of loosing control due to excessive speed (and no other catalyst), or traveling at a speed that did not allow another car to give way to you. There are very few occasions where speed will be the sole cause of an accident.

Policing speed is the easy way out, (it raises revenue too) but from all I have read does not seem to be directly correlated to the road toll.

BTW - I am in no way endorsing speeding, just saying that if we want safer roads we need to focus elsewhere as well - dont just take the easy way out.
True, its not the single cause.. but if you look at suburban Fatals involving single cars into road side furniture/shrubbery i bet its pretty close to it.
I also do agree that "excessive speed" is a better term than "speed above the limit" because it allows for the chances of conditions playing a part too.
Maybe the slogan should be "Excessive Speed Kills".?

Old 24-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #56
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True, its not the single cause.. but if you look at suburban Fatals involving single cars into road side furniture/shrubbery
I wonder what % of the road toll that represents

Quote:
Maybe the slogan should be "Excessive Speed Kills".?
You must know I would prefer "Excessive Speed makes accidents worse"

But even then we are targeting the multiplier - not the cause.

I would love to get other people to add to my ideas mentioned in the above post - it might make a letter to someone somewhere one day.

I would like to identify the policable causes of the majority of road deaths.
Old 24-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #57
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
The whole "speedo check is bad" arguement carries no weight IMO.. weather we like it or not we should all know what speed our vehicles are doing, we lived for decades without cruise control, it isnt that hard to keep your foot steady and give the speedo an occasional glance.
I do agree with you with what you're saying, it's good to get other perspectives.

Here's a question for you:
If a person or their vehicle (meaning C classed car, not towing) are unable to do the posted speed, particularly highway speeds and providing the conditions are suitable, do you think maybe they shouldn't have a license?

I ask because I get the feeling a lot of the people who do stay well under the limit do it because they are not comfortable with traveling faster than a certain speed.

That's probably too an open question, but I hope you get what I mean.
Old 24-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #58
FordFan86
meow

Speed doesn't matter, just the skill or lack of that the driver has.

Last edited by FordFan86; 24-12-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Bananas
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #59
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Another thread ruined!

Ive re opened this thread, lets keep it on topic

Last edited by Laminge; 24-12-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I do agree with you with what you're saying, it's good to get other perspectives.

Here's a question for you:
If a person or their vehicle (meaning C classed car, not towing) are unable to do the posted speed, particularly highway speeds and providing the conditions are suitable, do you think maybe they shouldn't have a license?

I ask because I get the feeling a lot of the people who do stay well under the limit do it because they are not comfortable with traveling faster than a certain speed.

That's probably too an open question, but I hope you get what I mean.
Good question.. from my perspective id rather see someone drive "within their limits" and if that means they don't feel comfortable driving at the posted limit given their assessment of the conditions then i think that's a better option then them being forced to drive faster than they feel comfortable or "safe" doing.
Id hate to see a culture develop where young inexperienced drivers (and the elderly too) felt obligated to drive faster than they felt safe to do... regardless of the posted limit.
I totally understand what a PITA slower moving traffic is on single lane roads though....