Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Who was at fault?
The cocky, he should be jailed for this crime like all terrorists 2 0.17%
The girls, they should pay compensation or at least apologise for their dogs 122 10.60%
No one, the dogs were feral and should have been destroyed 35 3.04%
Guns should be totally banned even for farmers 2 0.17%
Guns and meat should be totally banned and we should all be vegies 3 0.26%
Bananas and ice cream taste yummy 987 85.75%
Voters: 1151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #31
DVSFPV
Diesel Monkey

i live on a rural property outside of melbourne, we too have stock and our next door neighbours have sheep if either of us saw a dog/animal attacking either of our livestock it would be shot dead in its tracks wether it was a pet or a feral... once it has attacked something it will do it again so may aswell just stop the animal before it turns on a baby or human... i sadly have seen pet dogs shot down because they have attacked livestock its not nice but it had to be done.
IMO stuff the girls they should pay for any losses to the cocky and for the bullets he had to use too...

Its got 290KWS of the BLUE OVALS FINEST!!:

Custom Cold Air Intake :

2'5 Cat Back Zorst... Straight Thru Muffler :

100 cpi hi-flow cats

hornet shaker

220KWS at the rears : no tune.... YET!!!
Old 24-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #32
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on, I polled for the farmer was Justified in shooting of the dogs. But to walk over to there property and shoot the dog is not on. Far enough the dog probly needed some lead in its diet but the farmers choice to shoot left went the dog left his property.
It could of been stopped after have one dog shot i pretty sure the girl would get the message and keep her other dog away. It just sounds like to me that the dog shot on her property was driven by anger not racinal thought.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #33
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Shooting dog on your property OK

Going on to neighbours property to shoot them, not OK, (if that is what happenned)

Most newspapers never let the truth get in the way of a good story
"Gun toting redneck kills Precious family pet" sells more papers than "Hippie's dogs annoy farmers cows"
Old 24-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #34
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Whoops!
Old 24-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #35
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Farmer has a right to protect his property from said "feral animals".
If said Girls didn't take action, sorry, you loose.

If farmer walked on to girls property and or shot the dogs on the girls property, different story.

Girls have a responsibilty to curb animals (dogs) attacking / wandering, particularly with sheep/cattle nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I have seen what a pack of domestic dogs can do to sheep, not a pretty sight.
+1
Old 24-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it is getting interesting. There seem to be many inconsistencies which is possibly why the police are investigating.

The girls' stories and the cocky's story are different, surprise surprise.

If he did, if fact, take a loaded firearm onto someone else's property without permission let alone discharged it, he is duckpoo, game over.
Old 24-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #37
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I have been in a similar situation, bordering 2 properties.

Old man and me were hunting.
Said next door neighbour heard us shooting, said we shot over his head. We never did this, said farmer took out a double barrel shotgun (uncocked) and threatened us with his shotgun, saying blatently we shot over his head on purpose and was on his property.
Old man, myself and this next door neighbour were at loggerheads with words.
Neighbour said he'd call the cops on us, we told him that he threatened us with his shotgun.
Told old man, cool it, back away, let him think he won...Smart choice.
We never shot over him, at his property, or even entered his property as he claimed.

1 hour later cops pulls around, said "we shot a neighbour", old man and myself owned up and shocked that the neighbour would make such claims, told him our side of story. Cop backed down after hearing this, as the neighbour was known to the cop as a "thorn in everyones side".
The whole thing I rekon he was growing dope.

Remember, in stories like this (and mine), there is always 2 sides of the story as the media will only side with the "defenceless women" in the farmer with the dogs story
Old 24-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #38
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This was part of the story:
oopps!

In that case please accept my apology Magpie.

I hadn't read the story in full, only going off the info from this thread and was under the understanding that the dog was shot on the farmers property at the scene of the crime!

That puts the story in quite a different light. I dont condone the farmer taking matters into his own hands. Wish I could change my vote to the bananas now!
Old 24-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #39
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Craig Cameron and Katrina Schodel from the extract

2 gilrs??

Now I know where the bananas came into it.
Old 24-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #40
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

HAHAHA....innuendo, funny stuff! :
Old 24-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #41
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even with reading all the posts fully in this thread and where one dog was shot and the other shot somewhere else and two her's but one with a him name
ill still stick with box 2 and still think its the neighbors and the cops are both at fault to have driven him to such lengths after repeated requests to do something about the dogs and i still think there is still more to this story

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 24-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #42
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

As usual innocent animals have become the victims of human ignorance and stupidity.
Old 25-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #43
Jesk
certified nutter

as for wanting the body of her dog back, im sure she would 'love' to see it after being shredded with a shotgun blast
Old 25-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #44
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am generally for gun control - that is i think the majority of people should not have easy access to one. I think the current gun controls do a great job at keeping these lethal weapons out of the hands of suicidal kids and teenagers - i was once one of them!

But i live on a rural property in a rural community and i see city folk move in with their city attitude (I love all the furry animals) and their city lifestyle (i got woken at 9am by the tractor next door...grouch) and their bloody pets (dogs and cats).

When a farmer's property is threatened, shoot to kill. Yes i think he should have gone onto the property and shot the dog - and i do believe that he is allowed under our local laws. If the girls failed to properly contain their animals then the responsibility then falls to the farmer - and he did the correct thing. So what if he did it in front of them? Have they seen an animal being savaged by dogs? It is not a pretty sight. An animal being put down by bullet is far more humane.

Then the girls should pay for the lost livestock, the bullets, and the farmer's time spent fixing the problem!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 25-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #45
tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
the current gun controls do a great job at keeping these lethal weapons out of the hands of...

Was it lethal for me to take a .44 magnum out to the pistol range and shoot holes in paper???? No? Then WTF are they banned....because of stupid do gooders and bleeding hearts thats why!!

(Sorry - that wasnt a go at u or directed towards you GTP - just the general gun laws )

As for the girls in question - if in fact there dogs had harrassed the livestock - then they should harden the F up and deal with the consequences. If the farmer had in fact ventured onto their property and done the deed - then obviously hes in the wrong, but one can understand his frustrations towards the dog and its owner. The fact that they (the girls i presume) have gone to the media and started a winge session speaks volumes...
Old 25-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #46
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Ticked number 2
Old 26-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #47
HLC
Audi S3

I'm Gen Y (21), im a licenced shooter, rifle and handgun, so naturally im pro gun, and i believe that the cocky was well within his rights here.

the gun laws are plenty tight in the country and i see no need for recourse to get this cocky's guns taken from him etc.

sometimes i wish the same sort of rules applied in suburbia, because im sick of my neighbours cat getting at my pet rabbits with no care or concern from them. if this was property it would be finished too.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #48
HLC
Audi S3

Guns should be totally banned even for farmers 0 0%

brilliant result.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #49
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest
Was it lethal for me to take a .44 magnum out to the pistol range and shoot holes in paper???? No? Then WTF are they banned....because of stupid do gooders and bleeding hearts thats why!!
yes but the stupidity is, my .357 magnum which is just as lethal can still be taken out and shot at paper :

orrr if i really wanted, i could go and take up western action/steel shooting and go and get me a special permit to get a .44 magnum anyway.

hell, my .22 target pistol is just as lethal in competant hands.

the laws dont make sense and they never will.
Old 26-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #50
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I think the farmer tool the appropriate action. He was defending his animals from wild animals.
If the girls didn't want their dogs shot, they should have tamed them or put them on a rope.
Old 26-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #51
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Guns should be totally banned even for farmers 0 0%

brilliant result.
What???? Are they supposed to put an injured cow down by strangling it??? Get real, and stay in the city.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 26-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #52
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Farmers have it tough enough already without worrying about dogs killing or hurting their cattle. Good on him.
Old 26-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #53
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
What???? Are they supposed to put an injured cow down by strangling it??? Get real, and stay in the city.
He wasn't saying farmers should not have guns. He was commenting that the vote option was 0% and was happy with that. He is on the same side.
Old 26-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #54
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
He wasn't saying farmers should not have guns. He was commenting that the vote option was 0% and was happy with that. He is on the same side.
Oh OK. Sorry 'bout that. I need some english comprehension practice.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 26-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #55
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Farmers have it tough enough already without worrying about dogs killing or hurting their cattle. Good on him.

Ha ha,most farmers I know (and I know a few) are far from struggling,infact they are some of the wealthiest people I know.

And from my experience would be more then happy to put down a dog, regardless of the situation.This is just my personal experience,it is NOT a generalisation.
Old 26-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #56
weenie

Just another media beat up. as if the farmer would have needed to go on their property to shoot the second dog when they were attacking livestock on his property. another anti gun story to stir up all the city dwellers that wear blinkers, & need someone to make all their decisions for them. Same as all the wombats that were getting shot around braidwood, & their ears taken as trophies. : Nothing mentioned in that story about the amount of bats run over every night, or the fact that the ears are the only part foxes eat off a bat.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #57
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

So is there any updates to the story?
Old 26-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #58
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
Ha ha,most farmers I know (and I know a few) are far from struggling,infact they are some of the wealthiest people I know.

And from my experience would be more then happy to put down a dog, regardless of the situation.This is just my personal experience,it is NOT a generalisation.
I don't know any of the current generation of farmers that are wealthy.The previous generation - yes, but not the current generation.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #59
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I don't know any of the current generation of farmers that are wealthy.The previous generation - yes, but not the current generation.
I have two uncles that own propertys here in south australia,and each property turns over around 2 million dollars a year.

Obviously you cant genaralise,I am only going from my experience.

I am sure alot of farmers are struggling,but so are alot of small businesses, that do not receive government assistance,but were getting of topic.

Last edited by Clint Eastwood; 26-11-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 26-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #60
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

If the dogs were shot on his property then I have no problems. If my dog got onto someone elses property and did this then I would take care of it myself. The stupidity of people who posess animals that are potentially lethal weapons yet have no control over, or seem not to care to have control over said animals never ceases to amaze me.
Closed Thread