Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #31
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: Petrol vehicles now added to VW scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
your obviously not an asthmatic, dirty diesel fumes seem to have a nasty effect , and we are not talking small amount of emissions past the legal limit , up to 40 times more , they need their asses kicked good and proper, if you think its ok to let them get away with it ......... perhaps you should have another think about it.
You're right, I'm not asthmatic and my comments are not targeted towards anyone who is - please also note that this thread is discussing petrol vehicles, not diesels.

I also acknowledge that the whole thing started with the diesels.

My point was, nobody knew what was going on 3 months ago and now it's everyone's problem?

What would have happened if the uni students didn't discover the problem - nothing!

Would we be having this discussion? - No!

Would VW (or any other brand) be blamed for the worlds "emissions" problems? No!

I can't help but feel that today's society is 'looking' for the next person to blame or the next law suit.

What VW did was wrong, but if it wasn't discovered, "who cares" or perhaps should I have said "who knew"
Old 18-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #32
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be time to buy VW shares. In 6 months time no one will give a stuff.
6 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
You're right, I'm not asthmatic and my comments are not targeted towards anyone who is - please also note that this thread is discussing petrol vehicles, not diesels.

My point was, nobody knew what was going on 3 months ago and now it's everyone's problem?

What would have happened if the uni students didn't discover the problem - nothing!

Would VW (or any other brand) be blamed for the worlds "emissions" problems? No!

I can't help but feel that today's society is 'looking' for the next person to blame or the next law suit.

What VW did was wrong, but if it wasn't discovered, "who cares" or perhaps should I have said "who knew"
Point taken, I guess someone would have stumbled across it eventually.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Point taken, I guess someone would have stumbled across it eventually.
I'm wondering... did a bunch of people sit in an office and calculate that the profits from sales with vehicles with fudged figures outweighs the costs involved with making them compliant and the drop in sales due to lower power outputs and performance????

Did they choose to just keep going till they were caught because it was better for the bottom line?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #35
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
No hate here , I just see discrepancies in my own displayed vs calculated figures and generally displayed ones are optimistic. I don't think I ever matched manufacturers figures - must be my driving style :-)
No worries bro, just more of a collective term
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post

So why even have rules if they don't mean anything? I care, just because they didn't play fair everyone else has to. The problem is not enough people care about emissions so it just gets ignored.
Old 18-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #36
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I'm wondering... did a bunch of people sit in an office and calculate that the profits from sales with vehicles with fudged figures outweighs the costs involved with making them compliant and the drop in sales due to lower power outputs and performance????

Did they choose to just keep going till they were caught because it was better for the bottom line?
I heard that the boss at the time would tell someone to do something, and if it couldn't be done, threaten that there were plenty of other people who could. People worry about losing their jobs, are being asked to be fuel efficient, up on power, and down on emissions. You can't do it all, so you cut corners and end up in this mess.

Running a company that way was always going to get you in major trouble, blind Freddy could see it coming a mile away.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If that is true , and the dudes he put the hard word to achieve the unachievable with the emissions did the job as required and made him look good to start with , he probably got a good bonus,
i wonder what they will do with him now if it turns out he is too blame for the current saga ?
Old 18-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #38
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
I heard that the boss at the time would tell someone to do something, and if it couldn't be done, threaten that there were plenty of other people who could. People worry about losing their jobs, are being asked to be fuel efficient, up on power, and down on emissions. You can't do it all, so you cut corners and end up in this mess.

Running a company that way was always going to get you in major trouble, blind Freddy could see it coming a mile away.

I've read similar explanations, and when you think about the way a company as massive as VAG is run you can understand how something like this could happen with very few people knowing about it.

Companies this size are usually, out of necessity, huge compartmentalised bureaucracies - each with their own assigned targets. The engineering group would have had their fuel efficiency, performance, and emissions targets along with a tight deadline.

It would seem they couldn't achieve it, so a group of lateral thinking chaps would have gotten together and come up with a solution - a very temporary and short lived solution as it turned out. It's not difficult to imagine virtually no one within the company except for those directly responsible knowing about the methods used. The people directly responsible would have received their bonuses, and probably jumped ship laughing all the way to the bank. And the rest is history.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #39
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrich View Post
Its not about fuel economy its about the emissions the car releases........
It once was not about fuel economy and only some emissions but now it's also about fuel used as well.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/ne...cid=spartanntp

If they have to buy back affected vehicles, I cant see them surviving... surely? That would be an awful lot of money, more than they have?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #41
superyob
Banned

Does anybody other than ecotards care whether V-Dubs pump out a bit more carbon??? How naughty of them, yawn...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #42
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Does anybody other than ecotards care whether V-Dubs pump out a bit more carbon??? How naughty of them, yawn...

Yeah I do. I'm no greenie but its corporate fraud on a massive scale. It's also the air that we breath. Vdub sold these s***boxes claiming they are green and lean knowing full well that wasn't the case. Whoever signed off on this policy should go to prison.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #43
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Yeah I do. I'm no greenie but its corporate fraud on a massive scale. It's also the air that we breath. Vdub sold these s***boxes claiming they are green and lean knowing full well that wasn't the case. Whoever signed off on this policy should go to prison.
Thankyou, exactly how I feel.
Old 18-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
So they did the wrong thing, saved a lot of money in the process by not needing to fit certain emissions equipment, giving them an unfair advantage against their competitors while lying to buyers, and you think this is nothing?

Its fraud.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I can show you there is a car that betters the manufacturers specified fuel consumption figures:

For the FG X (I think the FG was slightly worse) Ford quotes per ADR81/02 for 6 speed manual 11.1 lt/100kms

Photo below shows my current average fuel consumption. Yesterday I was down in the city and came home along Mt Alexander Rd and Keilor Rd rather than the freeway, it was stop-start traffic therefore shows a little higher than the usual 10.1 lt/100km.
Sorry...can't let this one eyed post go unchallenged.

Your average speed is 54km/h?

You are comparing your fuel economy as being better than the test yet you aren't complying with the same test as they did?

So what do you think you have proven?

Nothing....take yours up to 120km/h like they do and report back on what your consumption is?

Bet you will get even worse than they did.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

You are comparing your fuel economy as being better than the test yet you aren't complying with the same test as they did?

Nothing....take yours up to 120km/h like they do and report back on what your consumption is?

whats the magna pull @ $1.20
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #47
99AUXR
Brad

Last edited by 99AUXR; 18-11-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: waste of time
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #48
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

I have shown that my car in everyday driving can easily better the published manufacturers fuel economy figure which people generally refer to. Regardless of how the published figure is derived.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #49
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Pretty easy to get and average speed around 54km/h when driving around town. Unless you drive like an idiot that is. . .

It's pretty rare to see a car with such a high average speed. When customers complain about fuel economy the first thing I do is check the average speed. It's usually around 20-30 km/h.
An average of 54 is very high and indicates a lot of freeway or fast flowing driving.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #50
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
It's pretty rare to see a car with such a high average speed. When customers complain about fuel economy the first thing I do is check the average speed. It's usually around 20-30 km/h.
An average of 54 is very high and indicates a lot of freeway or fast flowing driving.
I suppose that's why those people are complaining about their bad fuel economy then. They are stuck at traffic lights more often than not.

But with that sort of driving, the urban figure of 15 lt/100km would be more relevant to compare with, also published in the Ford website for the manual XR6.

And 54 isn't very high; I've seen around 70 with my BA Ghia; that was freeway driving with some stop start.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 18-11-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 18-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #51
superyob
Banned

Quote:
I stand corrected! I did not think of that angle...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #52
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo

I'm not sorry and I'm not letting your crap go unchallenged.

The ADR37 test that we use to establish fuel consumption figures covers only 17.77 km at an average speed of 34.1 km/h and uses 95RON fuel for all petrol cars.

On that basis the figures supplied above are as representative of real world conditions as the ADR test - indeed they are probably harsher conditions.

Even if we actually start to use the NEDC standard it hardly gets much more onerous -

The NEDC entails putting the vehicle through four urban ECE-15 cycles and an extra-urban EUDC cycle. Each urban cycle lasts 200 seconds and covers 1.013 km at speeds of up to 50 km/h, averaging 18.7 km/h.

The single-phase EUDC extra-urban cycle is 400 seconds long, covers 6.955 km at speeds of up to 120 km/h. It averages out at 62.6 km/h however we are currently arguing for a modified EUDC in Australia (given the 120 km/h exceeds our open road speed limit) to lower maximum speed.

For fuel economy, the first four ECE-15 phases are combined to give the urban fuel consumption figures and the highway cycle comes from the last 400 seconds of the test. The combined-cycle figure comes from the entire 1200 second cycle, as do CO2 emissions figures.

Even using the unmodified Euro standard, the combined figure equates to an average speed of 33.58 km/h.

My EcoLPi betters it's quoted figures (12.4 Combined, 18.3 Urban, 9.0 Extra Urban) and has done pretty much since new and yes, I have an average speed that is much higher than the EUDC figure.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #53
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed lately vdub has been advertising like crazy , it won't surprise me if they actually sell a lot of cars despite the scandal, no doubt they will drop prices and a lot of people won't even think about it and will just buy a cheap new car regardless .
In any event people have short memories , so I would not expect the public outcry to last to long,
Tempting to put a tenner on it that in a few years time VW will have paid it's fines and be selling heaps ........ Business as usual.
Old 19-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #54
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
I noticed lately vdub has been advertising like crazy , it won't surprise me if they actually sell a lot of cars despite the scandal, no doubt they will drop prices and a lot of people won't even think about it and will just buy a cheap new car regardless .
In any event people have short memories , so I would not expect the public outcry to last to long,
Tempting to put a tenner on it that in a few years time VW will have paid it's fines and be selling heaps ........ Business as usual.
Yes, and the prices have already dropped considerably. The base Polo Trendline is currently around $8000 less (or ~33% less) than the Match that we bought 9 years ago.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 19-11-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 19-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #55
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last edited by Craig@AUDI; 20-01-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #56
Trump
bitch lasagne

How about this nugget from Australia's version of Lionel Hutz:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/re...19-gl2zr8.html
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #57
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

So Basically after all carry on,this is how VW motors run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0xifuTqVA
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS New One Coming

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont,LX Focus

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #58
wagnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
54 km/hr
Cool, thats much higher than my usual "combined" average km hence the great economy. Around brisbane my average kph rarely gets above 35kph lol

Seriously though my wife has a brand new range rover sport tdv6 which is rated as having a combined economy of 6.9 l/ 100 km but i camt get near that. As an example we regularly do runs from brisbane tp hervey bay to visit the rellies and if i reset the trip when leaving brisbane, drive the 350 odd kms to hervey bay, do a couple of short drives around hervey bay over the weekend (probably 50 to 60ks at most) then drive the 350 ks back to brisbane i generally hey 6.8 l/p 100 ks which in ky book if the car can supposedly do 6.9 l/ 100kms in "combined" driving i should be able to get way better on such a long motorway trip.

I'm not really complaining though because either way the car is awesome and gets crazy good economy regardless.
wagnman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #59
mooseman

So I work for a VW dealer and am happy to answer any questions anyone has. I'm not posting my own opinion piece on the matter because it will just end up in a stupid argument.

If anyone is interested that is...
Old 19-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #60
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
So I work for a VW dealer and am happy to answer any questions anyone has. I'm not posting my own opinion piece on the matter because it will just end up in a stupid argument.

If anyone is interested that is...

When will they have a fix?
Did you hear about the new lawsuit today? Class action is going after a full refund plus dollars for the fraud committed against its customers.
When a customer comes in for service are they informed their cars doesn't comply with emission laws and they risk heavy fines for driving it?
Do you feel bad about killing the whales?