Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #31
TadKa
Wait? What?

I'm very against street racing. However I have a friend who when on his p's, he and another car were being d-heads and he ran a red. I wont go into any details but he was convicted of manslaughter. Did time got out. I know that he gets very upset and everyone knows he made a unmeasurable mistake but would anyone be happy if he had taken his life. I'd hope the answer is no.

Last edited by TadKa; 30-01-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: replace swear word
Old 30-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
I'm very against street racing. However I have a friend who when on his p's, he and another car were being d-heads and he ran a red. I wont go into any details but he was convicted of manslaughter. Did time got out. I know that he gets very upset and everyone knows he made a unmeasurable mistake but would anyone be happy if he had taken his life. I'd hope the answer is no.
The answer here is no too. Your friend showed courage in a time of crisis and faced the music. Unfortunately he now has guilt but he has served his time for what happened. People like him should be encouraged and people like him who own up to things should always be given a second chance. I'm betting that nothing could make him feel worse than his memories of the incident, and I hope he has been able to move on in some positive way with his life.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 30-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #33
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
Bullshit! It just adds to the tragedy that this whole sorry saga has turned into. Another death will not bring the old couple back.
It is bad that the whole thing happened that is for certain , but how sad is it that there is now another death to clean up. It would only be making the families of everyone feel worse again. The guy stuffed up , made a dumb decision that 95% of us have done before and now he is dead too. I live in the general area where it all has unfolded. There have been plenty of threats , witch hunts ect for these people. The last six months would have been unbearable , getting all that plus living with the guilt of what happened and charges laying over your head. Now to die on the side of the road in the bush is tragic.
It was a dumb decision he made to get involved in the race and yes he should of been punished for it. But it was also a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time for them all.
I agree with you 100%. This is not karma or justice, this is another tragedy. He made a mistake, a very costly one and everyone is quick to say he deserved it but how many here can honestly say they have not used our roads as raceways? Are you any better because you haven't caused a death or serious injury? We should all practice what we preach! It is an absolute tragedy that another life is gone. And no, I don't condone what he did in any way but people should stop being hypocrits when most yourselves do the exact same stupid things on our roads. I feel so sad for all the losses.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 30-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #34
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have to say and I won't be popular .. But the old couple did turn onto that road.. YES the other cars where speeding!! The trouble is they couldn't see the cars due to speed.. Being an old couple there eyesight wouldn't be too good...A side hit at almost any speed is dangerous...
Its sad story all around...I get to many accidents through my work..
I cannot understand why this one has seen so much media attention...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 30-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #35
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I have to say and I won't be popular .. But the old couple did turn onto that road.. YES the other cars where speeding!! The trouble is they couldn't see the cars due to speed.. Being an old couple there eyesight wouldn't be too good...A side hit at almost any speed is dangerous...
Its sad story all around...I get to many accidents through my work..
I cannot understand why this one has seen so much media attention...
I can. It is a classic sob story and will make people feel bad as they were old and seen as defenceless. A media blow up if I ever saw one. Had it of been a bloke in his mid 30's to mid 40's there would not have been anywhere near the coverage but as it was an elderly couple it is easier for the media to paint a picture of them in a good light while painting a picture of the offenders in a much worse light. It's all about circumstances and pure bad luck my friend.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 30-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #36
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Poor guy? Try a Criminal who decided not to face the consequences of his actions and took the cowards way out.
LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE!

I am not about to condemn this man considering I have done plenty of stupid things and I am especially not going to condemn because the poor bloke is dead.

It could have happened to anybody here and considering we don't no the full circumstances it could have happened EVEN IF YOU WEREN'T STREET RACING.
I have seen plenty of old people off in their own little world while driving so who is to say it could have happened even if you were driving responsibily??

I say RIP
Old 30-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #37
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hang on a bit, if they saw the headlights say 400 to 500 metres away then they would have thought; "plenty of time to turn", as we all have and turned accordingly. The fact is these twits were covering the distance up to three times as fast as normal so you can hardly say it was their fault. People also think that 70 and 71 is old, you've got to be joking. At that age they are already under scrutiny from the RTA and have to have almost yearly sight and other medical tests; in many cases they are more capable than younger people of various extractions who have conditions undetected.

The comment about them turning is ridiculous, they saw the cars, figured they had ample time as we all have and yet these cars covered the distance up to three times faster than normal. At nighttime depth perception is more difficult from the lack of visual markers to gauge a vehicles speed and often why the majority of serious accidents like this one occur. The drivers racing caused the accident and caused the premature death of two people through stupidity, recklessness and an utter disregard for the law. How many of you have gone around a corner that you've gone around before only to come across two people racing and after nearly hitting your car you utter the words "what idiots"? They deserve severe punishment for what they have done and should be charged with manslaughter.

Frankly, the defence of the racers is inexcusable and negligent in the extreme. The fact that some people here think its fine to race on the street and ergo jump to the defence of the perpetrators of this crime is disgusting. Passing off the act of criminality with the banal excuse of "we've all done it" is ridiculous as nobody I know has never done it, or been stupid enough to do it. Not wishing to upset anyone here but imagine your parents were killed by two troglodytes racing commodores on the road only to hear excuses like “c’mon, we’ve all done it” or “they shouldn’t have turned,” (no they should have realised that you and some other dumb son of a would be racing and made allowances for it).

Wait till tragedy like this touch your life and see if you are so forthright with suggestions such as “we’ve all done it”. Unbelievable. The investigation has just concluded which is why this man had his charge upgraded to manslaughter, and people still want to make excuses. It doesn’t mean these racers are no worse than you, it means that you are no better than them if that is your mindset. It also means that following in their behavioural pattern will more than likely end up in the same way that these people did, and for what? Bragging rights about your car? There will always be a faster car than yours so the whole racing subject is puerile.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 30-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #38
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

who said that killing yourself is cowardly? if i had the balls to kill myself, i can think of one or two times i would have liked to. hypnotism is the cowardly way out :P

this bloke AFAIK isn't even the one that hit the car that the people died in. IMO guilty by association BS that police enjoy persuing is a likely addative to the reasons that this bloke topped himself. it's all just a shame... RIP all involved...

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
Old 30-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
who said that killing yourself is cowardly? if i had the balls to kill myself, i can think of one or two times i would have liked to. hypnotism is the cowardly way out :P

this bloke AFAIK isn't even the one that hit the car that the people died in. IMO guilty by association BS that police enjoy persuing is a likely addative to the reasons that this bloke topped himself. it's all just a shame... RIP all involved...
I never said it was cowardly but I'll go on record now and say that it is, and is also the most selfish thing someone can do. Why?
Simple, everyone here has someone in their life and the loss of a friend, son, daughter etc rapidly becomes an insurmountable obstacle in their life. To the ones closest, the grief and then the utter self contempt for not picking up on the suicidal persons calls for help stays with them until the end of their lives. So, with that in mind who has the right to inflict a lifetime of grief and suffering on a loved one/s all because it got too hard? You say it takes balls to do it, I say it takes balls not to do it.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 30-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Hang on a bit, if they saw the headlights say 400 to 500 metres away then they would have thought; "plenty of time to turn", as we all have and turned accordingly. The fact is these twits were covering the distance up to three times as fast as normal so you can hardly say it was their fault. People also think that 70 and 71 is old, you've got to be joking. At that age they are already under scrutiny from the RTA and have to have almost yearly sight and other medical tests; in many cases they are more capable than younger people of various extractions who have conditions undetected.

The comment about them turning is ridiculous, they saw the cars, figured they had ample time as we all have and yet these cars covered the distance up to three times faster than normal. At nighttime depth perception is more difficult from the lack of visual markers to gauge a vehicles speed and often why the majority of serious accidents like this one occur.
Hazard perception is a requirement to be able to drive. It may be harder to tell the difference between a car doing 70 and 80 at night, but for the reported speed is certainably noticable. I'd hate to see what the old couple would do at unsignaled level crossing.

Also with your example, you say they see the cars 4-500m down the road when they decide to turn onto the road. At 160km/h they're covering 44.4.m/s. Over the lesser 400m, its means that they had 9 seconds to pull out and get some speed up, and/or for the racers to avoid them. If this was the case I doubt there would have been this accident. Its more likely that the older couple pulled out on the road when they were a shorter distance from them. Ie less than 2 seconds away, where anyone should be able to perviece that they were coming a bit quickly.

Did any of the reports say whether the older couple were intersecting the road, pulled out in front of the racers or turned into the oncoming traffic?

Old 30-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Hazard perception is a requirement to be able to drive. It may be harder to tell the difference between a car doing 70 and 80 at night, but for the reported speed is certainably noticable. I'd hate to see what the old couple would do at unsignaled level crossing.

Also with your example, you say they see the cars 4-500m down the road when they decide to turn onto the road. At 160km/h they're covering 44.4.m/s. Over the lesser 400m, its means that they had 9 seconds to pull out and get some speed up, and/or for the racers to avoid them. If this was the case I doubt there would have been this accident. Its more likely that the older couple pulled out on the road when they were a shorter distance from them. Ie less than 2 seconds away, where anyone should be able to perviece that they were coming a bit quickly.

Did any of the reports say whether the older couple were intersecting the road, pulled out in front of the racers or turned into the oncoming traffic?
I see where you are going but the official police report denounces the elderly couple of any wrong doing. In terms of speeds as well as distances etc it is purely speculative and as such I don't know the actual intersection nor the conditions of the road such as corners etc. At any rate and the very reason these people were charged, the racers were travelling at over double the signposted limit and caused the death of two people. This is not speculative though, it is an established and published fact.

As I said in an earlier post, I think you'll find that in NSW particularly it is much harder to keep a licence after 70 and medical checks as well as sight tests and other cognitive tests are required to keep your licence after your birthday. Furthermore, it is required that every 12-24 months further tests are conducted to ensure that the elderly person can continue to drive without endangering themselves or other motorists. I know this as my father has just recently gone through it. So, I can assure that the age of this couple would have required them to undergo stringent tests to prove capacity to drive.

As for peripheral vision and depth perception, I think there you'll find that they were OK there as well as the RTA actually has a proclusion on licences for elderly people who might have trouble seeing at night.
Again, lets not make the innocent victims in this tragedy out to be the villains, they did nothing wrong and were not contributory to the crash.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 30-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #42
MrEL
Sick Puppy

This is just going to go around in circles. There are only 5 people who know the DEFINATE FACTS about that night. Unfortunately 3 of those people are dead.
There is no excuse for street racing , I have never said there was. But I have the balls to admit that yes whilst it is a stupid thing to do I have done it.
Do I deserve to die? Do all the good things I have done in my life get cancelled out by a couple of stupid acts? To say it is Karma getting payback with death is pretty strong. If someone had of petrol bombed his car ect yeah I would agree that it was karma. I think the higher powers to which ultimately we are all answerable to take everything about your life into consideration.
The guy that killed himself was not involved in the accident. Yes he was racing but was well ahead of the 2 commodores when the crash occured. He did not stop. Was is because he was not aware of the accident happening behind him or did he panic and bail? Only he knows. He did hand himself into the Police station the day after when it was on the media about the smash and that the police were wanting to question the driver of the blue Mazda. He could of tried to hide cause they had no info on him but he come clean and fessed up. Makes it all the more tragic.

This has hit home with me and made me think a lot. I have been in that situation before but luckily there has never been an accident. To realise that you can be charged with these offences even though you were not involved in the accident made me sit up and take notice. You have no control in what is happening behind you but it can come back and bite you on the . Best off not doing it in the first place.
It is a tragic loss of life with this guys suicide. Hopefully his legacy will not be wasted and people will think that it could be them one day and stop racing on the streets. This even proves it to the people out there who think they can drive a bit better then they can that it might happen to them. Kinda kicks the old "it wont happen to me , i know what Im doing when I have a run" in the .
Old 30-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #43
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Again, lets not make the innocent victims in this tragedy out to be the villains, they did nothing wrong and were not contributory to the crash.
No of course not. Those who did wrong deserved to be punished. But imagine the public reaction where the racers were not charged?

On my red P's i was on the other side of the fence. Was pouring rain, 50km residential street, I was turning into a driveway across the street. I stated to proceed, a silver car (blended in with the rain/fog) was coming the opposite direction speeding, or at least not driving to conditions, I hit their front quater panel with a scratch down the side of their car. I was the at-fault party of the accident as not giving way > speeding.

Old 30-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #44
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
This is just going to go around in circles. There are only 5 people who know the DEFINATE FACTS about that night. Unfortunately 3 of those people are dead.
Actually Police dont guess, they gather evidence, a lot can be KNOWN, not guessed from the facts. Why they were racing, who started it, fine only those racing know, but its not relevant anyway so it has no bearing on the matter. The relevant information can be known by those not involved, its how Police solve murders in which no witnesses are located. They can and often do know things ordinary citizens dont because of their training and access to information.
Quote:
Do I deserve to die? Do all the good things I have done in my life get cancelled out by a couple of stupid acts? To say it is Karma getting payback with death is pretty strong. If someone had of petrol bombed his car ect yeah I would agree that it was karma. I think the higher powers to which ultimately we are all answerable to take everything about your life into consideration.
No you dont, neither did he. But theres a difference between wishing someone dead, and having little sympathy for someone who took their own life after such an incident. What I can tell, is he did feel like cr4p and that tells me he had a conscience, so yeah, its tragic, he could have been councelled and led a fruitful life.
Quote:
The guy that killed himself was not involved in the accident. Yes he was racing but was well ahead of the 2 commodores when the crash occured. He did not stop. Was is because he was not aware of the accident happening behind him or did he panic and bail? Only he knows. He did hand himself into the Police station the day after when it was on the media about the smash and that the police were wanting to question the driver of the blue Mazda. He could of tried to hide cause they had no info on him but he come clean and fessed up. Makes it all the more tragic.
His actions contribute to the race in the first place. The two Commodores may have raced anyway, but that only matters if the Mazda never raced, he did, so he is part of it.

The fact he came forward may have helped him in court, but in no way removes his part in the event, thus his guilt. He took his life before this could happen. Police would know why he failed to stop when he handed himself in due to statements, if not, then he took his life before he could clear his name.

Quote:
This has hit home with me and made me think a lot. I have been in that situation before but luckily there has never been an accident. To realise that you can be charged with these offences even though you were not involved in the accident made me sit up and take notice. You have no control in what is happening behind you but it can come back and bite you on the . Best off not doing it in the first place.
At least something good can from the event. Although the "best off not doing so" in the first place should result from the potential to harm innocent people, not the legal consequences. The potential to harm others is clear, has always been so and well and truly drummed home to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
So the guy driving a get away car isnt guilty of the robbery? The driver of the car in a drive by shooting isnt guilty either?
Old 30-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #45
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
No of course not. Those who did wrong deserved to be punished. But imagine the public reaction where the racers were not charged?

On my red P's i was on the other side of the fence. Was pouring rain, 50km residential street, I was turning into a driveway across the street. I stated to proceed, a silver car (blended in with the rain/fog) was coming the opposite direction speeding, or at least not driving to conditions, I hit their front quater panel with a scratch down the side of their car. I was the at-fault party of the accident as not giving way > speeding.
Mate, I can imagine the public reaction, it would finally pull that Corey Delaney twit off the front page of the paper.

As a matter of process, the fact that the charges against these men were to be moved to vehicular manslaughter indicates that the coroners findings and police investigations have drawn to the conclusion that the elderly couple were not at fault; that is all i was trying to re-iterate.
I don't know about Karma or it catching up with anyone but the overwhelming guilt of the suicide guy must have been astounding. As a proud member of these forums I'd hate to see anything like this happen to any of the members here which is why I have been passionate in my abhorration of street racing. Trying to move on in life after being contributory in someones death is almost impossible. Thats not to debunk what I said about suicide, for example after dealing with the repercussions and grief those involved could have worked with the RTA or police to educate others about the seriousness of those few seconds and what it can mean.

Quote: