Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why Things Fail

Seen many a top shelf item and brand fail miserably well within its warranty period, yes you can always expect a dud here and there but by no means will i believe you always get what you pay for. Just like all the 5-6 year old name brand air cons that i get asked to replace due to compressor failures, it far out weights the 15 year old battlers i come across still going fine
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #32
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj
the thing with laptops and the like are they go out of date so quickly. buy top of the line right now, and in 3 years it will be half as good as any new laptop and considerably a lot cheaper.

My first laptop was virtually top of the line, intel 2.2ghz duel processor, 4gb ram, nvidia 250mb (forget which type) graphics card etc etc. Cost me about $2400 with a voucher, was worth almost $3000.

3 years later...

Now my new laptop. 8gb ram, intel i5 2.4ghz, 64 bit windows 7, USB 3.0, AMD Raedon graphics, for $750

Laptop developement will slow down just like the desktop did to an extent. You buy a good laptop now and I gaurentee you by the requirements on games and programs in 5 years times it will still have more than enough power. Im going to be building my own laptop or desktop soon, but nowadays a graphics card will drive 3 monitors at 1080p. Also anything over 8gb ram is really for show.

Also just because they are producing something more powerful doesnt mean it will ever be used in the immediate future if ever. Just like 600Hz Tvs

Last edited by 99AUXR; 26-10-2012 at 06:02 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Seen many a top shelf item and brand fail miserably well within its warranty period, yes you can always expect a dud here and there but by no means will i believe you always get what you pay for. Just like all the 5-6 year old name brand air cons that i get asked to replace due to compressor failures, it far out weights the 15 year old battlers i come across still going fine
Hmm interesting depends what you are calling a good brand. I mean I do believe quality generally comes with cost. I run a full focal setup in my car dual 12" subs and they take in way more punishing than any other brand and sounds 100x better. Home audio well lets just say there is nothing cheap that you could even get close to the quality of naim.

Great Wall motor vehicles cheap trucks vs a ranger? Your paying for more. I'd also be willing to bet that that 7 yr old design will fail long before the more expensive ranger etc.
Old 26-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Compaq use to be a premium brand. I priced up a 386 once, cost over $8K which was a lot of $$$ back then. The quote came on beautiful embossed paper in a nice sleeve.

Then they were bought out ....
Old 26-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #35
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Compaq use to be a premium brand. I priced up a 386 once, cost over $8K which was a lot of $$$ back then. The quote came on beautiful embossed paper in a nice sleeve.

Then they were bought out ....
Yea our first desktop was compaq, went very well for its time, then like you said HP brought them out.... Such a shame they just become a way to get rid of excess old parts. On another note as consumers there are plenty other quality brands out there still. And atleast compaq was worth something when they sold it.
Old 26-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My Dewalt power tools have seemed to last a lot longer than the Makita stuff I've used over the last 2 years, the only thing I've killed was one 10.8v lithium battery.

I use my drills constantly with hole saws around 60mm in diameter through steel, both of my 1/4" impact guns gets a workout each day taking out bolts and putting them back in, my 18V fluro light has been dropped plenty of times.

I guess if you buy quality, you only spend the money once, it can be a bad move buying price over quality it will just cost you more in the long run really.

One thing I find rather odd though is modern washing machines don't seem to last as long as the ones from the early 90s and before.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I hope my Dell XPS 17 Win7 will go the distance given my P4 XP rig lasted the better part of 10 years. Only reason why I didn't get it fixed was because pretty much every part was obsolete.

The P4 CPU could probably still go on plugging considering it had no thermo paste on it for most of those years and the fan was forever clogged with dust and still didn't burn out.

I still use my 80gb IDE hard drive from it as a backup in fact and it has taken a lot of punishment.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #38
XRGREIGHT

I have a coupe that`s lasted pretty well.

30 something years actually
XRGREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post