Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Sourcing parts cheaply

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Or am I missing something?

Auto8 were listing warranty periods on their listings that they wouldn't acknowledge or honour when it came round to providing the warranty.
Yep, you're missing something alright.

Don't know about auto8 warranties as I have never had a problem with anything I've bought off them. Most of it heavy duty truck stuff.

Would you like me to go and ask them for you ?

I support local jobs first.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #32
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep, you're missing something alright.
In that case I have and I apologise for my mistake and stupidity.

Quote:
Don't know about auto8 warranties as I have never had a problem with anything I've bought off them. Most of it heavy duty truck stuff.

Would you like me to go and ask them for you ?
Appreciate the offer, but its all good thanks. It was a while back and written it off and moved on. Just left a sour taste.

They advertised NOS BF alternators with a 5 year warranty in the description. When it came time to claim they said only 1 year warranty as that's what's listed in the item specifics, the 5 year was an error. They now advertise 5 years in both sections.

Also had a Bosch master cylinder. 2 year warranty. About 14 months in it started occasionally leaking from between the main piston and body. Apparently that was a fitting fault, but it didn't matter it only had 12 month warranty. Item specifics was different than description. Seemed to have stopped leaking now too.

Quote:
I support local jobs first.
As I try to do. But my wallet can't ignore massive differences in prices unfortunately. If I had of won that $1.8b lottery draw a few weeks back it would have been a different story.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #33
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Online Auto Parts quite regularly as I live in a rural area.
I don't buy the cheap stuff but the name parts are always reasonably priced.
For the Victorians, they also have a warehouse down there so it's not just Qld.
Their delivery charges are quite reasonable and I have even ordered from them on an afternoon and had the package turn up at my local Post Office the next day.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #34
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all.. About six weeks ago I did the unthinkable in the rain and managed to back into a mate's Ford Territory ...Just careless , no excuses and did $1200 damage to the rear quarter panel subsequently done under insurance .. Surprisingly all I really did to the AU 2 was break the left hand tail light and cracked a bit more paint on the rear bar .. Once I sorted out the insurance for Leigh to get his car fixed quickly I tried to buy a new tail light .

. Rang Ford in Tassie (three dealers)... Nup ....can't get them anymore they all said . Gave me the genuine part number though .. Rang the various recyclers to try and find a Series 2 or 3 light and shocked to find they are pretty hard to come by and after trying 3-4 of them I gave up .. Good ol EBAY then .. Plenty of non genuine but not many genuine at the time ..

Then a mate told me about a mob called Carparts2U . I visited their website , found a tail light for $75 and rang them .. They were awesome and I paid for it via Paypal .. Postage was $19 with insurance . Two days later it arrived beautifully packed . I had a really close look before fitting and was genuinely pleased with the quality compared to the genuine one .

It may not be OEM but to say I was happy and relieved that it was a pretty accurate alternative is an under statement .. I have been stung by after market parts before but thankfully not this time ..

Carparts2U are a father and son company based in Sydney . I think their prices are pretty good , their service is terrific and will use them again ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2022, 12:23 AM   #35
Simon2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all.. About six weeks ago I did the unthinkable in the rain and managed to back into a mate's Ford Territory ...Just careless , no excuses and did $1200 damage to the rear quarter panel subsequently done under insurance .. Surprisingly all I really did to the AU 2 was break the left hand tail light and cracked a bit more paint on the rear bar .. Once I sorted out the insurance for Leigh to get his car fixed quickly I tried to buy a new tail light .

. Rang Ford in Tassie (three dealers)... Nup ....can't get them anymore they all said . Gave me the genuine part number though .. Rang the various recyclers to try and find a Series 2 or 3 light and shocked to find they are pretty hard to come by and after trying 3-4 of them I gave up .. Good ol EBAY then .. Plenty of non genuine but not many genuine at the time ..

Then a mate told me about a mob called Carparts2U . I visited their website , found a tail light for $75 and rang them .. They were awesome and I paid for it via Paypal .. Postage was $19 with insurance . Two days later it arrived beautifully packed . I had a really close look before fitting and was genuinely pleased with the quality compared to the genuine one .

It may not be OEM but to say I was happy and relieved that it was a pretty accurate alternative is an under statement .. I have been stung by after market parts before but thankfully not this time ..

Carparts2U are a father and son company based in Sydney . I think their prices are pretty good , their service is terrific and will use them again ..
What kind of after market parts did you get stung by, was it.for your AU?
Simon2g is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #36
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2g View Post
What kind of after market parts did you get stung by, was it.for your AU?
Yes Simon.. Hasn't needed a lot but finding genuine Ford parts for the AU not easy to come by , no longer available or just really expensive compared to after market these days ..

Mostly electrical components I've tried to source via Ford and the yellowing headlights I wanted to replace surprised me .. Ford wanted $370 each or well over $750 delivered a couple of years ago . I was expecting a couple of hundred but not nearly double the price . Ended up using some compound and now periodically rub them and reasonably rejuvinate them .

Front brake calipers ended up being non genuine because Ford's seemed to cost more than made sense at the time .. New keys cutting and coding from local Ford mob quoted $350... Chose a private crowd to do it for $190..

When I got the cheap brand new LH tail light recently I noticed Carparts2U had the headlights for series 2-3 AU's for $195 each .. If they are equivalent quality to the tail lights I might just go with them later on .

I guess it's understandable given AU's are now at least two decades out of production but it's getting harder for me to justify the extra cost of OEM parts to keep the old girl on the road ..

If you are not familiar with them ,here's the link to their website ..You can ring them and double check on details too .They told me that they have lots of parts not listed and why it's worth checking via the Call Us servivce if the required part isn't showing in the drop down inventory ..really friendly mob ..

https://www.carparts2u.com.au/..

. Cheers ...

Last edited by roddy1960; 03-09-2022 at 09:51 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #37
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I come across quite a few AUs at the DIY wreckers. Presumably all the good parts would get taken in a hurry.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: