Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #31
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
I doubt it. It's no limited edition collectors item unlike the Cobra's, GT40's etc. That it only sold 220 odd units indicates a sales failure - not a limited edition model.
I thought they made about 500 Cobras? 220 units would make the F6X a limited edition whether it ended when the production target was reached or when they decided to "can" it. Consider other failed cars that fetch high resale values after they were canned. It's about a limited supply and the potential demand rather than what the marketing department deem to be a "limited model".
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
I thought they made about 500 Cobras? 220 units would make the F6X a limited edition whether it ended when the production target was reached or when they decided to "can" it. Consider other failed cars that fetch high resale values after they were canned. It's about a limited supply and the potential demand rather than what the marketing department deem to be a "limited model".
There's a bit more to "collectability" than just limited or low build numbers...
I also doubt SUV's would fall onto the radar of musclecar collectors...

Old 28-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #33
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

that is a shame about the f6-x i really like that car with out the stripes looked like a real sleeper to me, it will be missed by me, those people who brought are proberly lucky because they are rare ! well it will be missed by me and i loved the interior it is different
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #34
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's a bit more to "collectability" than just limited or low build numbers...
I also doubt SUV's would fall onto the radar of musclecar collectors...
It might appeal to SUV musclecar collectors (if SUV and musclecar aren't mutually exclusive). You may be right. Time will tell.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #35
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'll go the other way,
That's not like you 4Vman

What the F6X needed was differentiation but not in the form a body kit but big 20"+ wheels possibly even lowering it a but X5 style.. No doubt the car itself is a ripper but looked the same as a grocery getter and had a boy racer interior. Odd combination. TT Turbo Ghia. Nicer interior, way cheaper.

The other factor is the easy tuning of the T6. Run it out to Nizpro/Bluepower or whoever spend $5k and it would smack the FPV version.

A good car beaten by itself.

PS: Forget collectability. Like any car that wont start till they are 25 years old. Then they will do OK.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

We bought one a few weeks ago, for under 60 kay with 7 seats brand new... Its a fabulous car that was hurt by its original rrp!!!

We are glad we bought it! its a weapon and leaves our old Territory Turbo for dead...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #37
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Only problem with that argument is that the poor old F6X buyer looks like the moron that paid 40K more than the astute buyer who bought the TTG.......

Sometimes you just can't win..........which is exactly why FPV have pulled the plug.
Midddle of last year I was looking at one via a novated lease. The difference in price between an F6X and a TTG for me was $27K

Enough said.....

I did drive one and I couldn't see or feel the extra $$$ over the TTG
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #38
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
The people who've recently bought them for sub $60K got a bargain. Cutting off production now at roughly 220 units in total will make them a collector's item and will improve resale value in the future, IMO. If I had one, I'd hold onto it. Sad to see it go.
Just like the HSV Jackaroo?

I could count the number of F6X's I've seen on one hand, as opposed to several sightings of turbo territories I see every day. Still, a replacement model is long overdue.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yes.. which brings me back to my original postion.. maybe the F6X was too cheap, and needed a bit more polish and less "stick ons", one thing it definately didnt need was a body kit.., its definately not a "boy racer" proposition like other FPV offerings, i see it more in the GT/F6-E segment.

Here's another way to view the paradox: do people see the X5 as a better premium "value for money" proposition because of its price or because of its appointments and quality? because i see X5's on the roads where i live all the time.., so they are selling, and for significantly more $$$ than the F6X...
This is were Ford always go wrong, they always try to do it on the cheap. They should have put an FPV style front bar on it, 20 inch wheels and lowered it more. If they had to charge maybe 4-5 k extra for it then so be it, but I gaurantee it would have sold a lot better than the lame version they did produce did. Buyers of performance SUV's want big wheels, its a must have, and to only fit small crappy looking 18's with the standard TT 245 tyres was a massive mistake.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #40
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Anyone who says the F6X (or the GT-E/F6-E) is too expensive is totally clueless about what these cars deliver compared to equivilant euro offerings..
Thank you for the refreshing sense of reality!
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #41
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Basicly Australia only needs one Turbo territory, plus all those F6X 's down the track will retain a good resale value. I think Ford did the right thing.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #42
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
That's not like you 4Vman

What the F6X needed was differentiation but not in the form a body kit but big 20"+ wheels possibly even lowering it a but X5 style.. No doubt the car itself is a ripper but looked the same as a grocery getter and had a boy racer interior. Odd combination. TT Turbo Ghia. Nicer interior, way cheaper.

The other factor is the easy tuning of the T6. Run it out to Nizpro/Bluepower or whoever spend $5k and it would smack the FPV version.

A good car beaten by itself.

PS: Forget collectability. Like any car that wont start till they are 25 years old. Then they will do OK.
Top post.

The F6X is a great car but FPV should have spent another 10K on each one, put the price up by the same amount and had something that was so much better and differentiated from the TTG that it put itself into another class. Wider 20" rims, Brembos all round, more power (perhaps with limited boost in first gear to keep it real!) and slightly lower ride height (who is going to go bush really?) would have given us a car that could be justified at 90K.

When you look at what went wrong, the customers give an indication:

Every person I know that looked at one could not justify the extra money for a car with better brakes, worse interior and about the same performance (seat of the pants) as the TTG. The only person I know that bought one (The old man) says he would have been just as happy to stay in the TTG he had before.......Not very confidence inspiring from whichever side of the fence you sat, and a good precusor for what has now happened.

Having said all that, if I was in the market for that kind of car, the current "runout" pricing on them makes them a good buy really. A lot of car for the bucks.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #43
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Maybe it would have been more succesful if the Territory Turbo and Ghia Turbo were released as FPV only models...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #44
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
We bought one a few weeks ago, for under 60 kay with 7 seats brand new... Its a fabulous car that was hurt by its original rrp!!!

We are glad we bought it! its a weapon and leaves our old Territory Turbo for dead...
Under 60K for a 7 seater TTG is a good price, not to mention for a F6X.

I couldn't justify the extra cost over a TTG (yes I looked at trading up). 6 Piston Brembo's, different wheels to accomodate the Brembo's and badges plus a tune wasn't worth the premium.

So I kept the TTG, tuned and debunged it and saved $20 odd thousand. It's quicker than a F6X too.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #45
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

See - we're all missing the point here.

FPV & HSV have been the most succesful with the Bread&Butter cars... GT models, Clubsport models.

Why? Because thats what everyone actually wants... these are the cars that people will actually BUY.... these are the cars that people WANT, not dream about or wish they had have bought... they're the sellers....

As someone mentioned earlier, HSV Jackaroo, HSV Astra, TL-50 from Tickford, all flops.... why? because they were ideas that looked good on paper, but nobody actually came to the dealers and bought.... Sure a few of them sold... but realistically not as many as they thought would sell....

Rod Barrett's quotes from the article (linked from first post) are really good...
"“The thing that has led to the decision we have made is that it was never aesthetically different enough from the mother car and probably had a pricetag that didn’t suit the market when it was launched,”" which is basically what everyone has said above...

The bottom line is, it was a cool car, but OVER-priced vs its little brothers from the same stable (TTG & XR6T). And the reality is that there really isn't a proper competitor for the F6X from any other manucaturer.
Before you reply.... X3/X5, Cayenne, Merc, all of these are available a huge colour range that can be aquired from a TV from the 70's (BLACK AND WHITE AND GREY)... plus they are much more expensive and not a Sports/LOUD version of a base model.

Same as the new HSV Clubsportswagon (is that what its called?) has no competitors as Ford/FPV has no equivalent (and the F6X never was a competitor to anyone), and unless you want to compare it to an M3/5 wagon, or an AMG wagon, or the Audi RS6 Avant, then you're not going to find any competitors....

I could go on and on here, but instead I'll start a new thread....

Cheers all...