Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #31
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Servo Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
When two idiots meet at a service station.

What is wrong with people?

Just about every modern car on the road has an arrow next to the petrol pump symbol on their dash telling them which side the filler cap is on!

So if you jump in a friends car or a rental, there is no excuse for that to happen!

Yet, it seems, this is one of a car's best kept secrets.

Ask 8 out of 10 car owners, what the arrow means, and they will have no idea or never really noticed it!.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #32
neverready3

I Think it is peoples attitude to others, they think whatever they are doing inside the service station is more important than everyone else, I have more trouble with people while trying to pump my tyres up .
neverready3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #33
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He said those keen to browse for a snack or magazine “in a manner that would not be considered prompt” should settle their fuel payment first before moving their car to a designated customer bay as a courtesy to waiting drivers.
What a ****ing moron
In what universe does he think that's going to happen.

As I said this is common practice in Perth, and the Servos are fine with it.
It's not a question of "slightly more expensive," PULP prices go up by about 30 cents on other days.

And they're not worried about drive-offs, that's what they have cameras for.
If some low life is going to steal fuel, nothing they can do is going to prevent it. All they can do is review the tape and send the details to the cops.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Why are they idiots?

Bigger idiot is the driver of a similar or much smaller car that insists to line up at a certain bowser only because the tank inlet is on the same side as the bowser yet had they gone straight to the other side that was empty the hose would have more than reached across to the other side...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Why are they idiots?

Bigger idiot is the driver of a similar or much smaller car that insists to line up at a certain bowser only because the tank inlet is on the same side as the bowser yet had they gone straight to the other side that was empty the hose would have more than reached across to the other side...
my OCD prevents me from using a bowser on the opposite side of the car as the filler. Its just wrong.
Old 23-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #36
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
As I said this is common practice in Perth, and the Servos are fine with it.
No the servo I use among many and the industry in Perth have made it very clear they are not fine with it; read the article https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/mot...ng-b881335293z and https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyl...ng-b881335438z and
https://acapmag.com.au/2019/09/servi...ying-for-fuel/

Quote:
As it turns out, this guy might need to turn down the revs, with the Motor Trade Association of WA revealing you “should not” move your vehicle before you’ve paid for your fuel.

“Unless using a ‘pay at the pump’ system or a service station app to pay for fuel, drivers should lock their car and proceed to the customer service counter to settle their outstanding payment,” spokesman Matt Linney said.

“Drivers should not move their vehicles.”

He said there are two main reasons for this: One is the potential for fuel drive-offs and the other is to keep vehicle movements to a minimum.

“In the instance of drive-offs, drivers may - often unintentionally - exit the station without paying,” Mr Linney said.

He said those keen to browse for a snack or magazine “in a manner that would not be considered prompt” should settle their fuel payment first before moving their car to a designated customer bay as a courtesy to waiting drivers.

Last edited by aussiblue; 23-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #37
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
my OCD prevents me from using a bowser on the opposite side of the car as the filler. Its just wrong.
yep, id rather wait than drag a hose over my paint
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #38
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I used to do the park and pay thing but after all the press I referred to I asked my servo about it. They said they would prefer I didn't move until I had paid noting that although they knew me as a regular customer, but a) I often had a different car and b) often they had new staff on who would have never seen me before and would be have trouble enough keeping the cars and pumps correctly matched without people moving cars.
Old 23-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #39
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

I use to hate filling up my ute, fill up the gas then have too move to the petrol bowser, see plenty of register attendants use to freak out... plenty of young ones use to tell me I should pay for one then move and pay again... suck my lefty I use to say, the older attendants knew what was going on when pulling up in a white tray back 2wd jap ute!

But now I got rid of the gas system coz it was absolute crap
Old 23-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #40
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All is not lost.

There are still a few courteous people who move their car for you while they are filling.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #41
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
It's the ****ers that turn into a servo, get halfway off the road, stop & block the flow of traffic while they're deciding which bowser they're going to use....
This, totally. Completely selfish and inexcusable behaviour. Just pick a queue and stick to it. If it happens to be slower, tough.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #42
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of months ago on Saturday arvo I was on my way to the supermarket in our little town with one servo (Caltex) when I thought I'd better top up the old AU..After mid day on a Saturday it's closed but we have the auto serve using a card to pay.

As i got there that day a couple of young people were on a bike that had just got off and were taking off their helmets . So I stopped and waited as they moseyed over to to the card machine to authorize the pump and pay for . I patiently waited , waited some more and waited and waited as they were mucking around , joking , laughing and then waited some more as they seemed to take forever to actually fill the bike . My engine was ticking over the whole time and I was probably 8-10 metres back from the bowsers while I waited . Then it seemed to take an age while they went back over to the machine to get the obligatory receipt and bugger me ... put the helmets , gloves, fasten up the vests and zip up the saddle bags which could have been done a few metres away from the pumps access .In case they were from another planet they must have known I was waiting ...surely .

As I watched them start to pull away and put my AU into drive to nudge up to the pump ....a local I know pretty well then ducked in right in front of me . NOT HAPPY JAN ... I ended up having to wait for her too but at least that was only maybe two minutes .

Needless to say I closed the gap as the driver was getting in after filling up .

Just as well for the bikers and the local that I'm a pretty courteous and mild mannered person I think otherwise their lack of etiquette really tested mine .

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-12-2019 at 09:24 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #43
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Will be interesting to see how long before Australia Adopts like some states in the USA have Pay before you fill. Either by pay at pump similar to Costco method or go pay the operator , then come back to the car to fill.

This is done to stop fuel theft drive offs
Old 26-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
Will be interesting to see how long before Australia Adopts like some states in the USA have Pay before you fill. Either by pay at pump similar to Costco method or go pay the operator , then come back to the car to fill.

Many servos already tried this years ago. Some may still do it. Mainly during non business hours.
Old 26-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #45
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Melbourne some servos installed Pumps where you could swipe a Credit/Debit Card, fill up and then the amount would be debited against your account.

The Swipe facility was disabled on most that I have come across as sales in the shop dropped dramatically.

I am surprised the Fuel Companies developed the phone apps as that must be costing sales in the shop.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #46
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post

That's pretty much is what our local servo is after midday Saturday til 7.30 ish am on Monday .

I don't have a Caltex card but any debit or credit card works of course . Then it's ..Check card , choose whichever pump you need and enter amount of fuel you want, enter pin which then authorises funds transfer , then it allows that pump to open ... Until fuel is pumped it won't give you a receipt if you need it and you have to re enter the card for that .

Never used Costco so is that pretty much how that works ?

Trouble is here there is only one ATM style outlet so if someone else is there and using it or if they want the same fuel as you , it's a wait until they've totally finished .. Ours has 2x91 ron .. 1x 95 ron for the past 18 months and 1 x 98 ron added as of just recently and a separate diesel pump a few metres away .

In the bad old days in our little place if you didn't get your fuel by lunch time Saturday ...you ran on fumes until Monday .
Old 26-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #47
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post

I am surprised the Fuel Companies developed the phone apps as that must be costing sales in the shop.

I'm pretty sure that's why most of them don't have prepay.
if you prepay they'll only put a round figure in the tank $30-40 instead of "fill 'er up" & then getting chips lollies ect when you Pay.

The Odd drive off is worth less to them, than the extra impulse Buys (& filling It u) made when paying when paying "After" pumping the Fuel..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
In the bad old days in our little place if you didn't get your fuel by lunch time Saturday ...you ran on fumes until Monday .
Like that still here in Chiltern, Servo only open 8.30am-5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Local motel does well out of this.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #49
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Like that still here in Chiltern, Servo only open 8.30am-5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Local motel does well out of this.
Yep , until fairly recently unless you wanted an 80 km return trip to our nearest 7 day service that was how it was.
The last minute Saturday morning rush to the Faulky's Garage before he close at 12 was a pretty normal thing . Friday arvo after work for me was preferable ..
Old 26-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #50
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm pretty sure that's why most of them don't have prepay.
if you prepay they'll only put a round figure in the tank $30-40 instead of "fill 'er up" & then getting chips lollies ect when you Pay.

The Odd drive off is worth less to them, than the extra impulse Buys (& filling It u) made when paying when paying "After" pumping the Fuel..
You could still fill the tank on pre pay if you paid in store. You just have to nominate a higher figure (e.g $100) then go back in and get change.

Any servo that had pre pay signage up when I drove in didn't get my business. I drive out again and go to one that doesn't. Treating the majority as criminals due to the actions of a minority doesn't agree with me.
Old 26-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've never encountered the prepay thing before, generally I'm one of the suckers buying ridiculously overpriced lollies for my journey through the auto car wash
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #52
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

You don’t get a buzz out of “saving” money and buying the bulk packs in advance? I think Costco do a one-tonne sling bag option for various sweets including jelly beans, snakes and smarties.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
You don’t get a buzz out of “saving” money and buying the bulk packs in advance? I think Costco do a one-tonne sling bag option for various sweets including jelly beans, snakes and smarties.
Only buy because they're in front of me at the time and I'm like hey those look pretty good right now, while I'm waiting in line looking around, while everyone pays and moves on.

It's one of those things that present itself at the time rather than is planned - I wouldn't buy if I could just tap my card at the pumps and then tap my card at the auto car wash.

The way I see servos is that they're the milkbar of 2019, carries a range of food albeit at inflated prices but they probably don't actually make much on the fuel itself so they want you buying crap inside.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #54
IanC

I used to move over to a parking bay after filling up so as to let the next guy in. I got told off by the cash register chick so I no longer do that now. My gripe is that when I fill up on Mondays I have to queue to even get into the servo and after I have paid it is hard to get out because of numbskulls queuing to get in and blocking the exit. I tried going at 6.30am and there still was a queue.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #55
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:

Actually they aren’t idiots, ever wondered why the hoses are that long?
If there isn’t a bowser available for my correct side I will go to the opposite side and do this.
Old 27-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #56
Rambunctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I went to the servo the other day and waited for 15 mins for someone to come out and fill my tank and check my oil...

Sheesh...I had to do it myself...
Believe it or not there is a filling attendant at the BP at Pacific Paradise (North Shore) on the Sunshine Coast, and the price has stayed at $1.46 for weeks while the other thieves racked it up to $1.70.
I always have the lady with me so I sit in the car while she goes into pay and soon as the car is full I move it for others to get in.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #57
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On this prepay thing a couple of United servos round here close at 6.00pm.If you have an RACT card you get 6c discount all the time then after 6pm you get another 6c discount.Go to the the card machine put in your credit card,then the amount you want.I usually type in $90 and if the fill amount is less I get refunded the difference.Works pretty well with the diesel price around $1.58 then 12c discount
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #58
IanC

Went to fill up at 6am this morning. A guy drove in just in front of me and stopped his Landcruiser pickup at the only vacant pump. He then got out, walked into the servo and bought some lollies, came out and drove off without purchasing any fuel. He could have parked anywhere and got his lollies but he had to do it blocking a pump that he didn't even use! He must have been either bloody minded or thick. My bet is that he was both.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Went to fill up at 6am this morning. A guy drove in just in front of me and stopped his Landcruiser pickup at the only vacant pump. He then got out, walked into the servo and bought some lollies, came out and drove off without purchasing any fuel. He could have parked anywhere and got his lollies but he had to do it blocking a pump that he didn't even use! He must have been either bloody minded or thick. My bet is that he was both.
He drove a landcruiser. Enough said.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #60
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Saw that exact thing a couple of days ago, bloke in a land cruiser pulls up on the opposite side of the pump from me got out walked over to the shop and came back a few minutes later with 2ltrs milk. No fuel purchased. First time I'd seen that happen.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post