Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

And an Australian company is/was talking of making a car in Macedonia. http://www.maknews.com/html/articles...macedonia.html
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 AM   #32
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

What about Luxembourg? I don't think they made any cars

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #33
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Vatican City? Does the popemobile count?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #34
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Scotland - There was a long wheelbase mid engined (Alfa flat 4?) thing in the 70’s/80’s called the Clansman.

Malta – A Maltese company owns the AC name nowdays, they were talking about making Cobras/Aces there. There was some talk of the Smart coupe being resurrected as an AC, I don’t know if this was through the Maltese mob.

Poland – they make the Kirkham Cobra replicas amongst other things.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #35
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue

Thats a good compilation....its a little embarrasssing that I know way more about Aussie motor history than I appear to about Scottish motor history!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #36
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Been owned by VW since 1990 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAT

I correct the record only because we have one in the family and it's embarrassing enough without being aligned with Fiat ;)

edit: get dates right
Hahahaha!! I 2nd that!! If they were Fiat ownwd they would have gone the way of the dodo ages ago for building utter unreliable crap. Thank god they're under VW. As for Fiat still being Italian owned, I dunno what's worse, that or being part owned by GM as they were. They may as well be owned by Toyota or Honda so they can actually make cars properly, but then I doubt either would invest money in a sinking ship! :
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #37
blk_frmnt
ẶЦ ╒ǻІґмΩאַâ€*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Belarus is actually a state of russia if memory serves ie belarus = "Belarussia"
The Cold War's over man, go back to Russia!
blk_frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
Hahahaha!! I 2nd that!! If they were Fiat ownwd they would have gone the way of the dodo ages ago for building utter unreliable crap. Thank god they're under VW. As for Fiat still being Italian owned, I dunno what's worse, that or being part owned by GM as they were. They may as well be owned by Toyota or Honda so they can actually make cars properly, but then I doubt either would invest money in a sinking ship! :
If Toyota or Honda bought them they'd only get worse.

Its interesting that the "sinking ship," Fiat is turning profit... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat Whilst companies like, oh, Ford? Are not.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #39
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

How do actually define the question.

In the early 1900's every man and his dog was building cars so you can preety much conclude that all countries were building cars. Australia had a dozen or so car manufacturers at the turn of the century.

Also does it have to be a home grown manufacturer or a corporation dropping a plant there??

Anyway I would have to say:

1)Liechenstein
2)Monaco
3)San Marino
4)Malta
5)Iceland
6)Cyprus
7)Monenegro
8)Macedonia
9)Luxembourg

and most confidently....................................... .....

VATICAN CITY!!
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #40
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_frmnt
The Cold War's over man, go back to Russia!
No thanx, 2 trips is enough for now... :

[IMG][/IMG]
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

[QUOTE=sleekism]How do actually define the question.

In the early 1900's every man and his dog was building cars so you can preety much conclude that all countries were building cars. Australia had a dozen or so car manufacturers at the turn of the century.
[\QUOTE]

Which is why certain countries listed don't have car manufacturers... they didn't exist until recently being broken off something larger...

Macedonia (1992)
Montenegro (2006)

For example...

:
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #42
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Anyway I would have to say:

1)Liechenstein
2)Monaco
3)San Marino
4)Malta
5)Iceland
6)Cyprus
7)Monenegro
8)Macedonia
9)Luxembourg

and most confidently....................................... .....

VATICAN CITY!!
Right I think except Liechenstein; it had the Jehle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehle
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #43
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And Cyprus almost made it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaisis_Motor_Company:

Quote:
Kaisis Motor Company (KMC) is a vehicle manufacturer in Cyprus, in business between 1973 and the late 1980s. The branding takes after the name of the founder, Andreas Kaisis, a local entrepreneur. KMC manufactured (in most cases assembled) trucks, buses, and many speciality vehicles such as ambulances, fire engines and airport vehicles (eg mobile stair vehicles). The first models were based on British Dennis models.

In 1974 the company started producing trucks based on Commer, Dodge and M.A.N. designs. The company produced several other vehicle types, including a number of van and bus designs (such as the Commer/Dodge PB SpaceVan series, the Dodge Walk-thru range and the Dodge Commando series) and a 6x6 military truck. It also ventured into the 4x4 market with several unsuccessful models (some based on Romanian ARO models). Beyond the small Cypriot market, KMC sold its vehicles to over 20 countries, mostly in the Middle East.

Of note was the company’s purchase (in 1974) of the blueprints to the Clan sports car, designed by a team of former Lotus engineers, with plans to set up an assembly line in KMC’s new factory near Nicosia International Airport. This activity was cut short after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974 when the new factory was caught in the buffer zone and thus had to be evacuated. The factory sits vacant to this day.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #44
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Hey nothing wrong with Fiat.
One of the oldest car makers, and were winning GP before Japan or most countries had cars.

Now one of the most popular brands in Europe.
And still Italian owned.
All of what you say is true and I owned a couple of Fiats in the late 60's - I think a 1500 and I can't remember what the other one was.

Fiat also attempted to sell trucks to interstate hauliers (my family had trucks in the 60's and 70's) and they were woeful at best... most of the Euro stuff was in those days. Volvo and Scania were the pick of them. Deutz (air cooled diesels, lol), Fiat and a couple of others just didn't cut it.

Fiats were known as "Vatican Macks".
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #45
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't think Tasmania ever had a car factory either...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Tasmania isn't a country.

:
Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #47
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Tasmania isn't a country.
Should be. That's why our forefathers cut Tasmania off Australia and pushed it out to sea in the first place.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #48
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

all ready on the list

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #49
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been owned by VW since 1990 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAT

I correct the record only because we have one in the family and it's embarrassing enough without being aligned with Fiat ;)

edit: get dates right
but fiat own ferrari.. so you're driving ferrari's somewhat "special" cousin
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #50
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All of what you say is true and I owned a couple of Fiats in the late 60's - I think a 1500 and I can't remember what the other one was.

Fiat also attempted to sell trucks to interstate hauliers (my family had trucks in the 60's and 70's) and they were woeful at best... most of the Euro stuff was in those days. Volvo and Scania were the pick of them. Deutz (air cooled diesels, lol), Fiat and a couple of others just didn't cut it.

Fiats were known as "Vatican Macks".
Iveco is the FIAT truck brand.
a merger with several other Italian and Euro truck and deisel brands.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #51
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Do we count the 'Tornado' Sports, a race car built in Tasmania for John Goss? Essentially a falcon six with a special sports can-am style body. The original "John Goss Special".

This car was made using a fiberglass mold from that car:

see http://www.tonyhamilton.com.au/t_sports.html

Last edited by aussiblue; 09-01-2008 at 08:56 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #52
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
I don't think Tasmania is in Europe! :voldar02:

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #53
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

You might aswell re-add Denmark to that list. They never really had a full go at making a production car accept for some weak attempts at an electric car quite some time ago.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #54
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The Danes have actually made quiet a few cars aside from the mentioned electric Kewet (1991-1995) mostly at the beginning of last century and there is even a possibility they made the first car (the Hammel) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammel_%28automobile%29:

Quote:
Hammel (automobile)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This car from Denmark, built by Urban Johansen und Albert F. Hammel, is connected with some controversy regarding its exact year of construction. One claim is that it was introduced in 1886, making it one of the very first motorcars in the world. Other sources mention the years between 1887 and 1890 as more probable. Only one was constructed. It has been restored and is exhibited in the Technological Museum in Helsingör.
Other cars from Denmark are:

Anglo Dane 1902 -1917
Brems 1900 -1907
Dana 1908 -1914
Dansk 1901 - 1907
DK 1950- 1954
Ellemobil 1909-1913 (Elle MacPh's version of the pope-mobile?)
Gideon 1913-1920
Houlberg 1913- 1920
Thrige 1911-1917

Perhaps they got upset about not being credited with the first car and took their bat and ball and went home.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #55
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The Republic of Iceland?

None made there but they have some interesting relics here http://www.ystafell.is/default.asp?s...7C003%7C&tId=1 including one of those Danish Kewets (gee this means Kewets were even exported!).
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #56
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Serbia has Zastava. Remember the Yugo? http://modelcarstore.blogspot.com/20...how-about.html
I took a Yugo 65 for a spin once, the pedals were so far over the clutch was basically under my right foot. I was going to drive it in a demolition derby last year but when we put the roll bar in I could no longer fit in the seat without my knees touching the dash. Put together like tanks though.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #57
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Andorra, Faeroe Islands, Luxembourg, Malta?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #58
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Malta seems another home for living car relics; who was chasing an anglia 105E? http://www.philseed.com/maltacars.html but they have a nice private car museum http://www.classiccarsmalta.com/
Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #59
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some nice Alfas and Sunbeams there.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #60
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up old fiats

Speaking of Fiats we went to England ten years ago and borrowed a Fiat Strada Arbarth went like the powers twin carbs extractors looked like a KB Laser and in Ireland hired a Opel Corser really a Holden Barina with different badges Iveco (fiat) owns International trucks in Dandechong they make some great trucks also agree with old mate who said Fiat made crappy trucks in the 70s I know from first hand experience JOHN
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post