Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
The only alternative i have given myself other than a Ford or Holden would be looking at a used (4-5 year old) M3 within the next 5 years... Driving a mates E46 M3 has made me appreciate these cars more than ever...
Yes i have a client wiht an E46 and its a brillant car, he thrashes it day and night and it dont miss a beat. Id love a brand new one but I don't think that will ever happen.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I have had a Japanese car, an Aussie and now a Euro.
The Japanese car was reliable, a bit of fun, it put up with anything I threw at it and it wasn't a Toyota. It was however a little plain Jane.

The Aussie car, attractive, comfortable and generally reliable but suffered in areas of quality, a lot of wear and tear in a time frame that any other car wouldn't.

The Euro is attractive, comfortable, so far reliable and a lot better built. If this continues I will definately continue to buy European. I have no loyalty to brands or country of origin. If the car is priced well, looks good, feels right and brings a smile to my face then I'll buy it.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #33
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
So we can look forward to you owning a Camry any time soon RATT?
:
If they had a turbo rwd version? Maybe..
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
tallica1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Remember that is just in this part of the world. I don't have any figures at hand, but the BMW 5 series/Merc E Class is about the same price as Falcon/Commodore in Europe, considering living costs etc. are all relative.

In NZ, used Euros (and Jappas) shiit all over aussie cars in bang for bucks. I could pick up a mid ninetys V12 Merc S class or BMW 7 series for the same price as an AU Fairlane V8 (12k upwards). I know which one I'd rather spend my hard earned on lol.
At the same time a 2000 M5 BMW and E55 Benz goes for around VT-VY 300kw GTS money (45-55k). Irrelevant, but thats my situation, so yeah, I'll be buying a Euro, among others as soon as I can.
Very true! I live in NZ too, soon moving to QLD like the rest of NZ lol.

My Dad bought a 1993 Merc SL600 (V12), when it first came out they retailed for $350,000...he bought his 6 months ago for $25,000K. Before that he owned a HSV VXII Clubsport R8 that he sold for $27k, which he said was a really nice car but since he is moving to QLD (I'm following him there too) there is no point in taking an HSV (which are made over there) over as it will only loose value more so, so he intends on shipping the Merc over and selling it there thinking it would be worth around $45k in QLD according to the prices of other cars alike on carsales.com.au.

After selling the Merc he thinking of buying another HSV lol the VE or VF if it's out then.
tallica1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
Binnie
EB11 falcon GLI

Nope, i cant see my self driving anything euro for a long time i would perfer to ride Ausie any day

FORDS IN THE PARK

FTF Car Club of NSW
Binnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #36
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

For a small daily driver I wouldn’t go for a new Euro. Second hand they may offer value for money (but so do the Jap and the Aussie models)

Pretty much all the current & recent Euro tiddlers are slower around Winton than my current Japanese coupe. There are some well respected names that seem to go great at 8/10ths on the road but throw them at a track and the much vaunted European handling starts to fall apart. So why should I pay more to wind up going slower?

Other than a Renaultsport Megane 230 F1 R26 (or whatever the latest equivalent is going to be) I can’t see any budget Euro that does anything for me performance wise. It’ll be interesting to see if the new Clio’s gains in the chassis negate the deficit of it’s weight gain.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
For a small daily driver I wouldn’t go for a new Euro. Second hand they may offer value for money (but so do the Jap and the Aussie models)

Pretty much all the current & recent Euro tiddlers are slower around Winton than my current Japanese coupe. There are some well respected names that seem to go great at 8/10ths on the road but throw them at a track and the much vaunted European handling starts to fall apart. So why should I pay more to wind up going slower?

Other than a Renaultsport Megane 230 F1 R26 (or whatever the latest equivalent is going to be) I can’t see any budget Euro that does anything for me performance wise. It’ll be interesting to see if the new Clio’s gains in the chassis negate the deficit of it’s weight gain.
http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=45cef20ccccde

I'll say with the extra power, the six-speed gearbox and the new chassis... the 197 is probably quicker everywhere then the 182.

Oh... I just thought I'd throw some of these in too...

It seems all the current Euro offerings are either faster then the ITR, or right there with it. Oh, the 10 sec discrepency on the Nurburgring may seem alot between the GTI V and DC2R, but on an 8:50 lap, that's 1.88% difference - closer then it looks.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #38
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
It seems all the current Euro offerings are either faster then the ITR, or right there with it. Oh, the 10 sec discrepency on the Nurburgring may seem alot between the GTI V and DC2R, but on an 8:50 lap, that's 1.88% difference - closer then it looks.
Yup and the long straights on the ‘Ring probably hurt the short geared ITR. I pull at or near an indicated 200kmh at Sandown/Phillip Island, my top speed is around 230kmh.

A lot of the Euros seem to fall on their bum (especially Audi & VW) on Aussie circuits. Have a look at the Motor PCOTY lap times at Winton.

I’m not saying that me or my car are that great just saying that I wish the Euros lived up to their reputations. Hell, on R-spec tyres (high 1:43’s) it looks like I’d beat one of the old twin turbo RS4’s! I know mine is a very narrow viewpoint to compare cars on but it applies in my case.

FYI By my maths a Renaultsport Clio at 1:47.00 versus DC2 ITR at 1:45.50 at Winton puts the Honda about 43m ahead every lap. Feel free to post up Sandown, Phillip Island and Calder times (and mods) and we’ll see how they compare
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

1:43's at Winton on R-Specs, not bad. The Megane R26 did 1:43.06 there in MOTOR's hands on regular tyres.

According to MOTOR the RSC182 Cup at Winton is 1:47.16, however looking around at trackday results, one can find better times.

IMO the current Euro offerings are all ahead of the ITR, which is to be expected with what, almost a decade of advancement?

Have you lapped Sandown in your DC2R?

:
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #40
Rev28K
re

Quote:
IMO the current Euro offerings are all ahead of the ITR, which is to be expected with what, almost a decade of advancement?
Too right they should!! Especially with technology, capacity, turbos, etc.

Quote:
Have you lapped Sandown in your DC2R?
Yes. High 1:32's and spent a lot of time looking over my shoulder for GTR's.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #41
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does a Ford Focus count as a Euro? The only Euros I can see myself driving are VW's of a Focus for a daily driver. I wouldnt buy a BMW or Merc brand new either, but would consider a second hand one.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #42
ELtim
Six One Eight

What turns me off most European cars is the damage bills. I'd be happy for the next 10 years if I could buy a Xr8 BA (Assuming petrol prices don't climb too much higher).

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #43
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Yes. High 1:32's and spent a lot of time looking over my shoulder for GTR's.
Nice. That's a track I really want to do in my 172.

:
Old 08-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #44
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Remember that is just in this part of the world. I don't have any figures at hand, but the BMW 5 series/Merc E Class is about the same price as Falcon/Commodore in Europe, considering living costs etc. are all relative.

In NZ, used Euros (and Jappas) shiit all over aussie cars in bang for bucks. I could pick up a mid ninetys V12 Merc S class or BMW 7 series for the same price as an AU Fairlane V8 (12k upwards). I know which one I'd rather spend my hard earned on lol.
At the same time a 2000 M5 BMW and E55 Benz goes for around VT-VY 300kw GTS money (45-55k). Irrelevant, but thats my situation, so yeah, I'll be buying a Euro, among others as soon as I can.
Are these euros NZ New or used jap imports as I would imagine there would be some difference in price between them.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #45
groops

Euro - No
Aussie - No
Jap - Yes

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #46
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Are these euros NZ New or used jap imports as I would imagine there would be some difference in price between them.
Generally both, although NZ new examples with history usually demand a higher price. Saw a striped XR8 like yours out by Kumeu today... wasn't you was it?
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #47
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Generally both, although NZ new examples with history usually demand a higher price. Saw a striped XR8 like yours out by Kumeu today... wasn't you was it?

No mate, I'm on the other island.

My next car will be euro/jap, I moved back to a Falcon in a moment of weakness and the quality still ain't there. Will check out the FG but can't see it happening, maybe a Mondeo when the 5T/TDCI get to NZ.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #48
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd737
'hoi polloi'
Been watching a little HairSpray eh?

Yes I'd love an RS4 Avant (the wagon) but I could never justify that kind of money on a car plus I can't see myself being able to afford anything remotely that expensive anytime soon
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #49
bd737

[QUOTE=Jesk]Been watching a little HairSpray eh?

Got it from the Three Stooges episode Hoi Polloi actually - the colour-converted version of that episode is a classic!