Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #31
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrane
So you're saying a $5k cheaper car with 17's instead of 18's, standard trim/lights/kit, XR wheel wouldn't sell?
i think it would be a better thing to say design an XT with the I6T and suspension - but leave the rest like standard..

Mitsubishi have the same sort of thing.. the Evolution RS. comes with chasers, no air con etc etc - basicly you buy pre-prepped race car and you dont pay for the things your just gonna throw out if you were going to use it as a rally car

if thats what you want anyway

Last edited by Fev; 24-09-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #32
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
WHY water the product down???!!! Suddenly it doesn't become as "special" to own an XR....
So with your theory, the XR8 shouldn't exist because it's no longer special to own a Super Persuit?
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #33
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
i think it would be a better thing to say design an XT with the I6T and suspension - but leave the rest like standard..

Mitsubishi have the same sort of thing.. the Evolution RS. comes with chasers, no air con etc etc - basicly you buy pre-prepped race car and you dont pay for the things your just gonna throw out if you were going to use it as a rally car
that is pretty much more or less what i'm getting at.

the XR6-T has made it's mark, i'm not talking about challenging it's value... more so giving people the opportunity to have a 'quicker' car without paying the $46k + orc
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #34
MONSOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrane
The 3V made 20kw less than the turbo, used more fuel and doesn't respond to mods so wasn't that populer.
Doesn't respond to mods? thats strange, I'm sure there is a 3v v8 Ba that does decent quartermile times who's owner is a member here. They have better flowing heads than an XR8
Old 24-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSOON
Doesn't respond to mods? thats strange, I'm sure there is a 3v v8 Ba that does decent quartermile times who's owner is a member here. They have better flowing heads than an XR8
Rubbish...

Old 24-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSOON
looks like i didn't finish my sentance, i meant 'doesnt respond to mods AS WELL as the turbo motor'

apologies
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #37
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he's doin 12sec quarters and i think over 250rwkw's Lionhuntr is his name! nice lookin car too
Old 24-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #38
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't really wanting this thread to go down the XR6T/XR8 road to tell you all the truth! It was more about a lighter, quicker F6/GT at a price. Thats all!
Old 24-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #39
Sprint347
Tickford

Yeah sorry to hijack your thread, i'm done here
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Because it was too heavy, that was the reason I think?
I doubt many potential buyers were scared away from the Coupe4 because it was too heavy. How much heavier was it compared to a GTO? 2% more?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #41
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
how about making something like the XR8 sprint... put the BOSS 315 into a G6 with 19's / bobtail spoiler for 44 grand, id buy 2!
Thats what the Devil R Should have been..

XR8 with a 290
Six Speed Manual Only
19's
Brembo 4/4

No Luxury stuff with decent springs and shocks..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #42
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I doubt many potential buyers were scared away from the Coupe4 because it was too heavy. How much heavier was it compared to a GTO? 2% more?
I justed checked it out, the Coupe4 was 140kg heavier then the coupe GTO.
Old 24-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Go down the road of the RS lancers or Type-R hondas.

Delete the electric seats, have a basic radio add some Recaros, some good lightweight wheels with grippy rubber and Some good Adjustable coilovers. Then up the boost a notch, (say, give it 330kw) and adjust the gearing...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

the difference between an bf xt v8 and an fpv is about 105 - 115kg depending on model. seriously how much difference is that sort of weight going to make.

do people really buy cars based on 1/4 mile times. : even if they did would .2 or even .5 of a second really sway their decision to go without all the luxuries of any modern sports car.

seriously...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #45
chris0

I understand the question at hand.
But i cant see why?
It has been done in the past. HSV did the clubsport dealer team spec (oz racing wheels, premium brakes and suspension) which made the car stop, and handle marginally better. Offered no more horse power, therefore was no faster.
I cant see FPV doing the same trick, i mean they had the 'R-Spec' suspension packages in the B series..
But to strip out the features such as air con, electric seats etc, and throw in maybe even another 'R-Spec' type option, you would have a pov pack interior FPV that saves 3/10th's around a racetrack.
That's my opinion why FPV havent created lite versions of there already stunning line up.
Old 24-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #46
WPN XR6T
Useless

Probably less to do with weight, and more to do with price. If you delete all the standard luxo electric goodies, you save on weight and cost, so you have a basic car, with all the go fast gear expected of the go fast cars, but without the primium. So, if you do want to start a project, it keeps the over heads down, and you get the car you want, not the car Ford want you to have.

Though, a 4WD Falcon I6T with a proper suspension set up and carbon bonnet, roof, and boot to lower the center of gravity would be freaken sweet...

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #47
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think the idea has worth as a limited run featuring lighter wheels, aluminium suspension for less unsprung weight, adjustable coilovers and lighter body panels. Add that to an increase in power and large spec brakes, maybe the perfect platform to release the next level of engine spec for a new model. The key would be to attract use in motor sporting events (eg Targa, Bathurst 24hr etc) and track days. Not a crazy idea, as long as it is not a half baked effort as previous efforts have been. There are the people out there that will cough up the cash, as long as it is done right and has exclusivity.

Also, why when subjects like this come up does everyone start talking 1/4 mile times? In a car of this type the 1/4 will not mean squat, street meet drag racers do not cough up that sort of cash, they modify what they have anyway. Circuit racing is the key because it transfers to many more facets of motorsport. Only one type of motorsport involves a straight line, every other has bends in the track.
Old 24-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #48
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the same with the porsche gt3, they have a no cost clubsport option which gives you a roll cage and other options so that you could use in a rally or track day's etc.

The other side which has been stated in above post's is that there would not be a demand for a car like this...In theory a lightweight f6 or gt sounds great,but they are struggling to get the base spec fpv's and hsv's out of the door (harder now thanks to the bloody luxo car tax that's in now)...If people were to their money where their mouth is,it might be conceived.

Last edited by futura888; 24-09-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: edit
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #49
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would just be another headache for the production line for very few (lite)units sold when Ford Aust is already working with the minimum staff levels to sell established units imo, the current models are already good value, less than a years pay for a xr6t.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 02:04 AM   #50
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a version with as much in common with a 1350kg V8 Supercar as possible?
Let's face it= A V8 Supercar is going to outstrip any production car on the market at a racetrack, and it uses proven technology.
5.0 pushrod V8s, Live axle, Hollinger sequential. Weight of roll cage removal would be offset by extra seats and boot bracing. Lightest wheels possible, maybe some fibreglass paneling and carbon fibre. Desirable lightweight magnesium wheels are a must. The sheer simplicity of this formula makes it cheap and viable.
Engine? Well a twin turbo all-alloy 5 litre V8 seems capable of similar power to a V8 Supercar.
Instead of resurrecting HO, why not create a GT2 style road-racer?
A new breed of balls-out race car for the road that re-ignites Australia's love affair with the Falcon.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #51
WPN XR6T
Useless

It would be Gold! Australia was at it's peak when it came to muscle cars when they banned the Phase 4. It became an Icon, even though it never sold (as a Phase 4) and a simular level of excitement is been felt now with the current range.

It has taken more than 30 years for Australians to re-embrace muscle cars (well, the general public, anyway...) and I say the time is now. If Ford are going to act, now is the time, before fuel prices and politics kill it (Australian motoring) off again and we are once again left in a world that has no Ford V8's.

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 25-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #52
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

FPV can't even give their new models a set of new rims.
Old 25-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
I justed checked it out, the Coupe4 was 140kg heavier then the coupe GTO.
So about 8%?

If it was my decision to make, it would be the GTO. If I'm going to drive a big V8, it's always going to be RWD.

To start making FPV's lighter is going to make them considerably more expensive. If you wanted to make a track weapon, it'd be cheaper to buy an FPV off the shelf and start pulling unnecessary things out of it to drop its weight yourself.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #54
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a definate never gonna happen lol - you buckle a rim your up for $800 a corner! and that gearbox would cost more then a brand new falcon lol
Old 25-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think allot of people would die if they knew how much money it costs to engineer 1KG out of a car without compromising safety, durability, ADR requirements, NVH and model integrity.....

Old 25-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #56
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think allot of people would die if they knew how much money it costs to engineer 1KG out of a car without compromising safety, durability, ADR requirements, NVH and model integrity.....
Would you humour us and share these figures?
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 25-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #57
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I find the question somewhat perplexing - as in an F6/GT is a big heavy car what 1700kg+, its more of a tourer. Its not designed to be a road racer hence why I find it bemusing why you would want a "lite" version.

I mean if you want a light fast car you go buy an EVO or a WRX or a Type R ect. If you wanted to compete on weight you wouldnt start off with a Falcon sized F6 in the first place you'd do an FPV Focus.

My 2c.
Old 25-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford make these cars as light as they possibly can and maintain a competitive $RRP...
Making them lighter while ticking all the usual boxes costs an enourmous amount of money in R+D and component costs.

Old 25-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #59
WPN XR6T
Useless

Meh, but you can still dream, BMW did it with the M3...

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 25-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #60
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$125,913 = m3 coupe so not really
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post