Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I'd rather see 130kw/420Nm TD 3L similar to the Navara

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #32
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

In the early 1980's the Big3 started turning out a lot of smaller, front wheel drive cars. Previous to this there were only a couple FWD GM cars, and they were full sized. Now they were all building compact and mid-sized cars with FWD , something none of them had done in the States before, and with unibody chassis instead of on a frame.

The reason was fuel economy. The quickest way to up fuel economy was to lighten the cars. FWD was a real quick way to do that. However, all of these cars sucked! It was what they had not built before and they were rushed to market. This was the abortion years, but it saved the manufacturers.

If everything in this industry is cyclical, and it is, here we go again. However, this time they've got experience and technology under their belts. These cars are not going to be slouches.

When you think of a 4 banger being a prominent engine in the coming Fords don't think of the usual "Oh crap" engines. This is a new day, and Ford has some really cool 4 cylinder engines hitting the market today, coming out next year, and you would not believe what it is development. In an email from "The man" in the engine department, he hinted to me what Ford has in the works. I can't say anything right now but let me say that they have some pretty amazing rubber bands they are working on! Toyota and Honda are going to s&#t themselves. Mercedes is going to say WTF!!??

BTW, if anyone is not familiar with the yank "rubber band" expression just let me know and I will elaborate.

You would not believe what they want to put a four banger into.......something you and I would never do, but they can get the power needed to do it now.

The EcoBoost 4 cylinder has a powerband that comes in around 1,600 RPM so you get real power soon, without the usual turbo lag which kicks in about 2,200, and a real flat curve that goes to about 5,500. With more power in at a lower RPM, and then being able to sustain it, this thing can move a car pretty well.

For those of us that are performance purists, yeah, sucks for us.........at least until we fill up the tank a few times, check our wallets, and feel the unexpected pull of a 4 banger.........and then think "Hhhhmmm, maybe this ain't so bad after all?"

........I'm still keeping my Clevo though.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #33
Paxton
Cobblers!

I've known about this since the middle of last year. There are a number of early 123 mules running around the You Yangs with I4T engines in them. The I4T EcoBoost Engine is a Ford Corporate engine that will be seen in Taurus, Mustang and F150.

Ford must be fuming over this, as this engine was rumoured to tackle Holden's impending release of a 3.2 DI Commodore.

Oh yes, The I4T isn't the only trick up 123's sleeve. I'm really looking forward to the other engine...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Oh yes, The I4T isn't the only trick up 123's sleeve. I'm really looking forward to the other engine...
Argh! suspense!

TT V6?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I've known about this since the middle of last year. There are a number of early 123 mules running around the You Yangs with I4T engines in them. The I4T EcoBoost Engine is a Ford Corporate engine that will be seen in Taurus, Mustang and F150.

Ford must be fuming over this, as this engine was rumoured to tackle Holden's impending release of a 3.2 DI Commodore.

Is the I4T RWD?
Old 19-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #36
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Argh! suspense!

TT V6?
What rock have you been hiding under? The V6 got canned in November. It is still I6T in that department...

VZTRT - Yes. Still a Falcon, just with a more unconventional (for Falcon, anyway), engine.
Old 19-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #37
mooky

Look at Mitsubishi.

-The Magna, Verada. FWD good car to drive, they go like a shower of and good fuel consumption, but they went bust, they had AWD, performance cars, turbo 6 and 4cyl models in there line up. Yet they went bust there just isn't room for FWD cars in the Australian market.

If ford go with FWD they will go the way of Mitsubishi.
mooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #38
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.0L 4cyl EcoBoost is supposed to put out 205kw and 380Nm of torque with zero turbo lag and a very flat curve. It runs on regular unleaded. Why are people talking about a 120kw diesel? And secondly, what's to complain about here?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #39
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The 2.0L 4cyl EcoBoost is supposed to put out 205kw and 380Nm of torque with zero turbo lag and a very flat curve. It runs on regular unleaded. Why are people talking about a 120kw diesel? And secondly, what's to complain about here?
Ain't that the truth. I can't wait for this car to arrive.

The only thing that was going to slow Ford, is does the I4T match the I6 for fuel consumption? What's the point of releasing a 4 Cylinder motor that can't match the I6 for fuel economy? I don't think there is one.
Old 19-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is true, sometimes a larger motor will be better mpg than a smaller one. I think the EcoBoost will be better though. 3.5 EB in the Flex gets the same ad a non EB version that has less power and torque but same displacement. An example where a smaller EB engine replaces a larger non EB one is the F150. 3.5 EcoBoost has 350hp or more and gets 23mpg compared to the 320hp 5.4 V8 that gets 18. So I think the 2.0 EB will do better than the 4.0 I-6 in the
Falcon. On a side note, the next Explorer will have a 2.0 EcoBoost standard.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

whats the point?? we see things like the mazda cx7 which uses more petrol then a Territory??

I dont get 4 cylinder heavy cars,, they are a waste of time.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
whats the point?? we see things like the mazda cx7 which uses more petrol then a Territory??

I dont get 4 cylinder heavy cars,, they are a waste of time.
didn't you read the post above. It is noware near a waste of time. Todays 4cyl engines are nothing like the ones of old.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

IMO the Falcon and Territory will NOT get a four cylinder motor - forget it it won't happen.....

2013 is a long way away.

My bet is that IF this is set in stone, the Falcon and Territory will die in 2013 and either:

1. FoA will be wound up (don't think this will happen).

2. A new platform will be launched alongside Focus - maybe a new Gen Mondeo (for export to the region also), with a version that is an SUV also (ie: like Kuga is off the Focus platform) to replace the Territory.

Engineering the Falcon for an I4 is not going to happen unless volume increases significantly.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #44
Dezza
Parts bin special

Also for those who want a 4 cylinder, what's wrong with the Mondeo? It's nearly the same size as a Falcon, and those who buy 4 cylinders won't care about the FWD. It seems pointless.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #45
bd737

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
True. A dedicated gas form of that engine would be insane.
Old 19-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #46
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

It's the 80's all over again!

Having said that, obviously something had to be done and I'm glad they aren't going to shove hybrids down our throat.

I really wish Ford and others would throw more money at Hydrogen technology.
Old 19-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I really wish Ford and others would throw more money at Hydrogen technology.

Done ages ago in the US.
Old 19-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #48
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
VZTRT - Yes. Still a Falcon, just with a more unconventional (for Falcon, anyway), engine.
Would it have anything to do with an F6 having to change its name to F5?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #49
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Done ages ago in the US.
Not enough IMHO.

But yes they are doing something about it.

http://www.ford.com/innovation/envir...endly/hydrogen
Old 19-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #50
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im very very interested in hearing what everyone that knows something, but isnt allowed to has to say... they skirt the issue perfectly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
IMO the Falcon and Territory will NOT get a four cylinder motor - forget it it won't happen.....

2013 is a long way away.

My bet is that IF this is set in stone, the Falcon and Territory will die in 2013 and either:

1. FoA will be wound up (don't think this will happen).

2. A new platform will be launched alongside Focus - maybe a new Gen Mondeo (for export to the region also), with a version that is an SUV also (ie: like Kuga is off the Focus platform) to replace the Territory.

Engineering the Falcon for an I4 is not going to happen unless volume increases significantly.
SCroll up a little, and have a read.......
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #51
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with another option if it will sell cars.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Not everyone wants big 6's & 8's and most wouldnt know if their car was RWD or FWD. How many 6's or 8's RWD's are included in the tops sellers from Toyota and Mazda? If there is a market ...... fill it.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #53
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Im very very interested in hearing what everyone that knows something, but isnt allowed to has to say... they skirt the issue perfectly....

SCroll up a little, and have a read.......
123 is dead.....

My sources tell me the program is not even called that anymore, AND since the V6 is dead, a lot content has been pulled out of the program.

Like I said there won't be an I4 Falcon.....
Old 19-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #54
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Idiotic 4 cylinders

Back in 91 we went to to England via Los angeles and while at LA airport I looked at a Cadilac full size like Caddies of old were like Elvis had
any way the bonnet was open and being a car nut I had to have a look having seen Caddies with 500 big blocks with no room left under the bonnet
wow was I surprised it had a FOUR cylinder motor sitting crossways it looked like a LASER under there so I guess it was front wheel drive
to me that looked pathetic
Thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #55
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

I thought Project 123 went bye-bye with the V6.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #56
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, the other camp looks promising if puting corvette motors into commies is anything to go by...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #57
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I thought Project 123 went bye-bye with the V6.
It did.....

There won't be any engine changes in Falcon AFAIK.

Wishful thinking and BS if you ask me.

At 3500 sales a month including ute ? It won't happen.......
Old 19-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #58
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's all well and good to say no one wants large FWD sedans and you will never buy one, but not many people are buying large RWD sedans either??????

So what should Ford and Holden do now? Sit on their backsides and hope things get better by themselves? Fit larger/thirstier motors? Or do they fit smaller boosted motors that cut fuel usage and make the car lighter?

Be truthful right now...... What do Ford and Holden have to do to make YOU go out and buy a new car from their range? For me, it was a case of provide a large wagon type vehicle with plenty of headroom and legroom and storage areas for prams, toys, camping equipment etc. That is why I chose a Territory.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #59
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Be truthful right now...... What do Ford and Holden have to do to make YOU go out and buy a new car from their range?
Pay my mortgage
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #60
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Not everyone wants big 6's & 8's and most wouldnt know if their car was RWD or FWD. How many 6's or 8's RWD's are included in the tops sellers from Toyota and Mazda? If there is a market ...... fill it.
Exactly...

Did the starfire harm the comodore...?

\≡≡T≡≡/