Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #31
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
We export these kind of 'cars'

We export alot more than we import, we cant afford to become protectionist

well said

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Why do people keep saying that Holden and Ford do not build what people want?

THE COMMODORE IS STILL THE HIGHEST SELLING CAR IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!
You have to look at market share though. Large car segments have been dwindling for over a decade now. I'm sure companies like Kodak wouldn't be around today if they rested on their laurels and never moved into digital technology.

Holden and Ford are both finally diversifying their portfolio but with the falling demand in large sedans each consecutive year the Commodore will absolutely not be the best selling car in a few years.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #33
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
None directly, SAIC makes a version of the Statesman in China which is called a Buick Royale.

You need to look beyond tariffs applying to a particular industry; if we increased tariffs on Korean and Japanese cars, either country could respond in kind by placing tariffs on our exports of meat/livestock/wheat/ore etc, which would make other exporters more of a viable position.

For instance place a tariff on Japanese cars, and our largest trading parter (or 2nd largest depending on the time of day and China's orders) might turn around and place a tariff on our beef exports, resulting in an oportunity for Brazillian exporters of South American meat to provide the same quality product for a cheaper price.

Regardless, as I said in the other thread, I do not believe that my buying choices should be limited any further by any government; protectionism in the automotive industry is a stupid concept to protect an alledgedly inferior local industry that has been mismanaged in that it has failed to have in place proper product planning.

Unfortunately, our big three severly misread the market back in 1999-2001; now they are paying the price and playing catch-up to the rest of the world in nearly every area of the needs/wishes of today's car buyers, whether it be a low cost car (Hyundai), a quality car (usual German suspects, Toyota, Lexus), a low cost quality car (Honda Accord, Mazda, VW) or small SUV (CR-V, Xtrail, Forrester)
You make some good points. I complain more than anyone about the Australian Government attempting to control almost everything I do, I don't know why I thought this would work.

Maybe if Ford revived the Cortina or RWD Capri with a choice of locally built engines they could sell a few cars. I'd probably at least go for a test drive.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #34
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem is building a small car costs virtually the same as a big one, yet obviously the small one sells for less.

So commenting on how Ford and Holden have been short sighted is being a little simplistic.

Also unlike Camera companies, car companies basically have to predict the market as far as 10 years ahead.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #35
dogfish

Won't the price of second hand cars go through the roof?
Look at New Zealand they allow imports at reasonable rates and the local car market (Ford/Holden) don't rate there as much now in new car sales as the 10 year old import offers better options etc than the current Ford/Holden.
As it has been said earlier bring our locally made cars up to world class standard.
When I was in England in 1998 a friend of mine had an Audi A4 Quattro diesel yes diesel and it went like S@#t off a shiny shovel the options/ safety features in the car were amazing and the price over there was basically the same for a middle of the road ford or holden. Why???
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Problem is building a small car costs virtually the same as a big one, yet obviously the small one sells for less.

So commenting on how Ford and Holden have been short sighted is being a little simplistic.

Also unlike Camera companies, car companies basically have to predict the market as far as 10 years ahead.
The issue is they knew where the market was headed well over ten years ago but chose to do little. Building on an orphan platform will cost you far more than building a car that has already had the bulk of its R&D done already in the case of the Focus and Cruze.

It is good to see the bulk of posters can see some sense in the fact that protectionism is a very bad idea.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #37
BlackLS
yum

Is Oz Focus production still penned in for 2011

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought our cars were up to world class standard in most respects dollar for dollar?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #39
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i thought our cars were up to world class standard in most respects dollar for dollar?
They are...

Despite what one posted claimed, a similar sized and featured car is alot more in Europe. Audi A6 3.0L TFSI is over £37k (AUD$76k)
G6ET is Ford's closest equivalent at $56k (216kw/420nm vs 270kw/533nm)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #40
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Usually only in Australia (excuse the pun). The pricing of the euro brands here is so out of whack in comparison to actual standard wages and exchange rates its not funny. Of course much of this gets soaked up in tariff duties already.

Quick comparison of luxury vehicle prices in the UK to AUS:

Average UK wage £25,000 pa/$52,000
Average AUS wage $55,600

Benchmark:
Ford XR6T AUs Price $45490 (0.81x standard AUS wage)
FPV F6 AUS Price $66,590 (1.19x standard AUS wage)

Lux Brands
Audi S4 UK Price £43,555 (Pounds)/$90400 AUD (1.73x UK standard wage)
Audi S4 AUS Price $132,000 (2.37x standard AUS wage)

Lexus IS250 Sports Luxury UK Price £28877/$59,000 AUD (1.13x standard UK wage)
Lexus IS250 AUS Price $79,000 (1.42x standard AUS wage)

BMW 335i M Sport Coupe UK Price £36405/$75,000 AUD (1.44x standard UK wage)
BMW 335i Coupe AUS Price $111,950 (2.01x standard AUS wage)

BMW 550i V8 Sedan UK Price £46295/$96,000 AUD (1.84x standard UK wage)
BMW 550i V8 Sedan AUS Price $170,000 (3.03x standard AUS wage)

BMW 525i (3L most common make) UK Price £30865/$64,000 AUD (1.23x standard UK wage)
BMW 525i AUS Price $96,000. (1.72x standard wage)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #41
PALE ALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
That may be true, but what cars do we export to Korea and China?
Ask Ford,Holden about exporting cars to China,Japan,Korea etc. Thier cars are taxed, tariffed, dutied, out of the market. Why would G.M. build the statesman in China,when Holden build it here in Australia and they could export it to China
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #42
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are...

Despite what one posted claimed, a similar sized and featured car is alot more in Europe. Audi A6 3.0L TFSI is over £37k (AUD$76k)
That Audi is a quattro though, probably allow an extra few k for the AWD setup, not to mention Audi has an envious reputation for quality.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #43
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
The only car we offer that I would say competes on the world stage would be the FG G6ET. For the $$ it is good, barring some small issues here and there it is the highlight of the Aussie car making, but that is the problem, a single model. The whole of Ford Aus cannot survive with this one model, they need more range and more emphasis on the rest of their products. It isn't an Australian market anymore, it is a world market.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #44
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

You could replace every American cab with an AU and that'd certainly change some minds about aus built cars.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE
Ask Ford,Holden about exporting cars to China,Japan,Korea etc. Thier cars are taxed, tariffed, dutied, out of the market. Why would G.M. build the statesman in China,when Holden build it here in Australia and they could export it to China
Japan has 0% tariffs on imported cars, Korea is about as low as ours (China is high). But what they do is have other ways of discouraging buyers to buy imported cars, which would be a smarter way of doing things.

Look at Thailand they are one of the biggest exporters of cars in the world. Australia have a FTA with them but if a car has more then a 3 liter motor on it it is subject to a environmental tax.
Old 16-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #46
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its essentially a given that Tariffs aren't the way to go, but how do we compete with ultra low wages?

Perhaps our own government should buy more australian made products for a start! A maxim for purchasing within government organisations is value for money, which is a good thing. But buying Australian made is way way down the list as far as priority goes.

seems strange that our government purports to prop up our automotive industry then proceeds to buy foreign cars. If its good enough to prop up, then surely its worth using the product?
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #47
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
The issue is they knew where the market was headed well over ten years ago but chose to do little. Building on an orphan platform will cost you far more than building a car that has already had the bulk of its R&D done already in the case of the Focus and Cruze.

It is good to see the bulk of posters can see some sense in the fact that protectionism is a very bad idea.
People always say "they knew where the market was heading". What a load of BS. as little as 5 years ago SUV's, and big Trucks where a huge hit, the number 1 seller in the US had been F100's for decades. In Australia everyone wanted a 4wd, which is why ford developed the Territory.

Suddenly fuel prices soared out of knowhere and a global ressesion hit. things changed in a Matter of 6 months, people started to become protective of their cash and layoffs started happening. Now everyone expects ford and holden to change their whole portfolio within 6-12 months and start making small cars like a flick of the switch, Even though fuel prices are the lowest they have been in years!

No cars are selling, not just large cars but all sorts, even Toyota are struggling. Sometimes things arnt so simple. and although alot of people think they can, we cant predict the future.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #48
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Is Oz Focus production still penned in for 2011
Thats a bit late though, thats a while away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #49
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
People always say "they knew where the market was heading". What a load of BS. as little as 5 years ago SUV's, and big Trucks where a huge hit, the number 1 seller in the US had been F100's for decades. In Australia everyone wanted a 4wd, which is why ford developed the Territory.

Suddenly fuel prices soared out of knowhere and a global ressesion hit. things changed in a Matter of 6 months, people started to become protective of their cash and layoffs started happening. Now everyone expects ford and holden to change their whole portfolio within 6-12 months and start making small cars like a flick of the switch, Even though fuel prices are the lowest they have been in years!

No cars are selling, not just large cars but all sorts, even Toyota are struggling. Sometimes things arnt so simple. and although alot of people think they can, we cant predict the future.
I was talking specifically about the large car segment. Back in 2001 I had a conversation about this issue with Geoff Polites and Ford knew then that the volumes would drop by 2010 dramatically. Was Geoff full of BS?
Old 16-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #50
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Thats a bit late though, thats a while away.
It takes just under 5 years from a drawing on a board to a car rolling off the line. For instance, AU was signed off in 1993!!!!!! The only reason Focus is getting here quicker is because it is a carry over model with a facelift.

The Holden Cruze is a Daewoo that is already in production all over the world. Holden will be sourcing them from Thailand until next year when the tooling will be completed and they will manufacture them in OZ. So even though Holden are manufacturing a current model vehicle, it will still take 18 months (or longer) before they roll them off the line.........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #51
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
I was talking specifically about the large car segment. Back in 2001 I had a conversation about this issue with Geoff Polites and Ford knew then that the volumes would drop by 2010 dramatically. Was Geoff full of BS?
Very good point, Ford announced Focus production nearly 2 years ago, I think they did see it coming to an extent. But they never saw the global financial crisis coming, however, Ford are one of the best manufacturers to weather the storm due to the low staff levels. We already are running a skeleton crew and are still profitable at this level of sales. Fingers are crossed though, that Focus will get Ford back to number 1 in Oz.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #52
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It takes just under 5 years from a drawing on a board to a car rolling off the line. For instance, AU was signed off in 1993!!!!!! The only reason Focus is getting here quicker is because it is a carry over model with a facelift.

The Holden Cruze is a Daewoo that is already in production all over the world. Holden will be sourcing them from Thailand until next year when the tooling will be completed and they will manufacture them in OZ. So even though Holden are manufacturing a current model vehicle, it will still take 18 months (or longer) before they roll them off the line.........
But wouldn't it have been a better idea to organise to get the Focus done locally years ago? I know it takes time, but the timing is a little off to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #53
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

There is still no formal commitment by Ford HQ on Focus production in Australia. The project is said to be still under review as always all things are, a decision is expected later in the year.

No significant amounts of investment dollars have been committed to the plant upgrade for it, which makes sense given it's still not decided on. I know there is handful or two of engineers now working with other Ford NA and Europe and are looking at the plant upgrades and costs now.

We know the new car has a very high level of spec and technology, it's expected price points and they can now see it's going to cost more than they thought to build it here.

Wait and see.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #54
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The only reason Focus is getting here quicker is because it is a carry over model with a facelift.
No it's an all new Body and carryover floor pan.....

Check out the Focus section for some 'artist' renditions of the car. I think it'll be a winner if it's built here.....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #55
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
No it's an all new Body and carryover floor pan.....

Check out the Focus section for some 'artist' renditions of the car. I think it'll be a winner if it's built here.....
Exactly, all the underbody dies are built and to the best of my knowledge underpin the current focus. So therefore no try out needs to be done. So you have just saved six months there. Skin finish is a different story........
Old 16-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #56
LTDHO
The one and only

Buy Australian. It's the only answer.
No importing pats in from the US
Minimise what we import.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #57
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Buy Australian. It's the only answer.
No importing pats in from the US
Minimise what we import.
Patriotism means nothing if we do not make what the public want, or if we do not make it to a high enough standard. People do not want what we make anymore......
Old 17-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #58
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No I don't support extra taxes on imports. For those of us old enough to remember the breathtaking arrogance and poor quality of cars and dealers under the "big three", when the attitude was you should be happy with what you get and can bugger off if you want better, then a return to the good old days is not welcome.

Much of the chronic problems with Ford and Holden are hangover attitudes and corporate practices from back then anyway. There are faint signs, but signs just the same with cars that have quality like the FG, that Ford are finally getting the idea that the good old days are gone and they need to do better.

Their dealer network, might take a few more years though to get the message.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #59
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
As we are all aware, a large part of the the Australian media has pounced on the issues GM and to a lesser extent Ford appear to be having with money.

I have not done enough research to determine if this is true, but if it is then there may be some issues with a sudden and massive decline in Australian employment.

My question is, would you vote for a proposal by the the Australian Government to severely increase the price (import tax, whatever) of new imported cars to match the approximate price of our frankly much better locally built cars?

Not only would this increase new car sales in Australia for Ford and Holden and provide a lot of Australians with better job security, but it would help remove at least some of the Korean pussbuckets off our roads that (to me at least) are nothing more then an eyesore.

Anyone looking to purchase a new Hyundai would then be better off buying a second hand Aussie car, which would support sales of new Aussie cars even more.

All the current imported cars already in the country would still be allowed to be sold new or second hand as before, so unless they are quality stuff they will rot and deteriorate into history.
No - protectionism was one of the root causes of the great depression
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #60
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
They are...

Give me the G6ET over that thing any day.

I will never own another Audi

My short answer to the q posed in this thread:

"My question is, would you vote for a proposal by the the Australian Government to severely increase the price (import tax, whatever) of new imported cars to match the approximate price of our frankly much better locally built cars?"..

is YES because the FG deserves to succeed.

However it will never happen.

And thats a LONG one to answer
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post