Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

agree with 4vman! for the ceo to come out and make a statement or statements, could make it appear the problems are much larger than what they are.

i think a lot of the problems people whinge about are petty. also any that are potentially dangerous are fixed by ford so its not like they refuse to fix cars.

people love to whinge. in my opinion, ford build a great product for the price.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
agree with 4vman! for the ceo to come out and make a statement or statements, could make it appear the problems are much larger than what they are.

i think a lot of the problems people whinge about are petty. also any that are potentially dangerous are fixed by ford so its not like they refuse to fix cars.

According to Ford they are selling more to Private buyers so obviously the negative publicity is being taken with a grain of salt or no one reads Cars Guide.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me
Well i have had my BA Turbo since 2005 and have had only one issue with it(destroyed gearbox) which was my fault.

If i had the bread i would be into a new one.Absolutely love them.
2004 Xr6 and still going with no issues and never been off the road. Hand brake has been adjusted 3 times ...... no complaints what so ever.

All manufacturers have dramas with their cars ... its just some get more attention than others. Ford can do nothing but keep making damn good cars which is what they are doing. A statement would be a disaster.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #34
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

CarsGuide's cheif editor is Paul Gover. For those who don't know much of Paul's journolistic 'talent', or forgot who he was, a quick refresher.
Paul Gover was the journolist who wrote the famous 1987 Canberra Times article on Peter Brocks 'Polariser'. Gover claimed he physically felt the enormous difference when Brock was road testing a Commodore which was fitted with the device, as opposed to when it was removed. Most other journo's, including those loyal to Brock, put it down to the different driving style of Brock. Classic snake oil salesmanship. Aggresive and struggling without the polariser, suddenly smooth and controlled with it installed. Gover fell for it hook, line and sinker. Phil Scott was one of those who was cut from the Brock inner circle when he stated that while he couldn't prove or disprove the theory that the Polariser worked, it was clear Brock driving the car differently to exagerate the point.
The reward for Gover was a career writing glowing articles about Brock and Holden. He then transferred his enormous 'talent' over to HRT where he wrote 'unbiased' motorsport reports the safety and confines of the HRT pit garage.....
Ford has issues that need addressing. But so does everyone else. But if your sweating on a balanced and unbiased opinion from Gover and friends, read elsewhere. For me personally, the man has zero credibility as a journolist.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #35
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was a classic in todays herald sun Sir Paul (the lion heart)Gover not apologising for the bias in the paper with there 2 full page and 3 half page atleast articles praising holden and the readers question section bagging out ford like every ****ing week .its one of the only reasons i buy the paper on fridays for the car section and it ****** me off.it was like when the ba came out allthe pictures of fords were in b/w and then a the holden article would have coulor pics they came up with a laim excuse ti try and explain why that happened as well .
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #36
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
2004 Xr6 and still going with no issues and never been off the road. Hand brake has been adjusted 3 times ...... no complaints what so ever.

All manufacturers have dramas with their cars ... its just some get more attention than others. Ford can do nothing but keep making damn good cars which is what they are doing. A statement would be a disaster.
Differential, handbrake, brake hoses, general shoddy interior and no doors locking whatsoever in my 2004 xr6. And while I realize some cars are doomed to be lemons, I don't think it's fair to lump all cars of one model into a category. You obviously have a decent XR, and I obviously don't. Just like car X from car brand X might be rubbish, but car Y from brand X might be fantastic. Just goes to show not everyone is person
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #37
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

........ sorry to hear about your problems and you are right. Some cars just seem to be 'wrong' for one reason or another.

On top of that, mine was an ex Telstra car (can tell by the auto lights) and bought in early '06 so I have had it for a while and I dont treat it too well.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #38
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default not petty problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

I paid 40 g's of my OWN money for a new territory last year, As much as I love Fords, it is not acceptable for a 1 week old car to have rust in it and to have a knock in the front which dosen't seem to be able to be fixed,
there have been other small things which I have accepted but these 2 are just not petty problems
I ended up fixing the rust myself as Fords repair started to rust again after 3 months the knock continues

The territory still beats everything in its class just wish the quality was better and I know how bad the VE commodore is electricly it has had big issues
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #39
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
and the readers question section bagging out ford like every ****ing week .its one of the only reasons i buy the paper on fridays for the car section and it ****** me off.
I thought it was just me.

Every week I read that bloody letters section and I think to myself, god they are really kicking Ford at the moment. Brake issues mostly, but there was other stuff, every single week. Nothing of significance about problems with other cars in the same manner.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #40
ZC001
Cruisin

I am astounded about Ford's continual denial of any problem with brake lines given the number of public reports of problems occurring. If there is one thing you dont want to around with for a safety recall it is brakes. The last time we saw such a cover up on safety issues from a manufacturer it was Mitsubishi - and how many cars are they building in Australia now ?
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
I am astounded about Ford's continual denial of any problem with brake lines given the number of public reports of problems occurring. If there is one thing you dont want to around with for a safety recall it is brakes. The last time we saw such a cover up on safety issues from a manufacturer it was Mitsubishi - and how many cars are they building in Australia now ?
Is there a cover up? Received a letter about the Territory brake recall and has been done and fixed after the last service?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #42
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
CarsGuide's cheif editor is Paul Gover. For those who don't know much of Paul's journolistic 'talent', or forgot who he was, a quick refresher.
Paul Gover was the journolist who wrote the famous 1987 Canberra Times article on Peter Brocks 'Polariser'. Gover claimed he physically felt the enormous difference when Brock was road testing a Commodore which was fitted with the device, as opposed to when it was removed. Most other journo's, including those loyal to Brock, put it down to the different driving style of Brock. Classic snake oil salesmanship. Aggresive and struggling without the polariser, suddenly smooth and controlled with it installed. Gover fell for it hook, line and sinker. Phil Scott was one of those who was cut from the Brock inner circle when he stated that while he couldn't prove or disprove the theory that the Polariser worked, it was clear Brock driving the car differently to exagerate the point.
The reward for Gover was a career writing glowing articles about Brock and Holden. He then transferred his enormous 'talent' over to HRT where he wrote 'unbiased' motorsport reports the safety and confines of the HRT pit garage.....
Ford has issues that need addressing. But so does everyone else. But if your sweating on a balanced and unbiased opinion from Gover and friends, read elsewhere. For me personally, the man has zero credibility as a journolist.
Just to add to that, Smithy of "Ask Smithy" is an ex-Holden engineer which why he has previously said "l'll refer that to the good people at Holden" when a reader complained about an 'awful insect guts colour' fitted to Falcons. But Smithy actually realised it was a Holden colour (due to the description of the car.) Never mind the headline to that letter was 'Ugly Ford Colour'...

Can't let integrity get in the way of a good Ford bagging it seems. Shame as the daily tele has a massive circulation. But maybe that explains Ford's terrible market share in Sydney. GMHolden is very strong by comparison.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #43
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Recalls

Ford 25, Holden 26, Toyota 27 since 2005 so I don't think the CEO has a real need to jump with the media hype.
Ford Recalls
Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited—Certain Ford LV Focus and MA Mondeo Models fitted with DW10 Diesel Engine—Brake Vacuum Pump
Ford—Ford BF Series II/III and FG Falcon E-Gas—Brake Booster Check Valve
Ford—SX and SY Territory—Front Brake Hoses
Ford—2.4L Diesel RWD Transit models
Ford—Capri SE models
Ford—Certain F Series Vehicles equipped with Speed Control—Speed Control System modification (Refer to Recall numbers 2007/9665 - 22/11/2007 and 2006/8836 - 19/10/2006)
Ford—F Series and Econoline
Ford—SE Capri speed control system modification
Ford—Transit RWD—Axle Shaft End Play
Ford—VM Transit—Power Assisted Steering (PAS) Pump Connection
Ford—WX Fiesta and VM Transit—Front End Accessory Drive Belt
Ford—BF11 E-Gas Falcon—LPG Service Valve Hand Tap
Ford—Certain VM Transit Models—Front Strut to Knuckle Clamping Bolt
Ford—E-Gas Ford Falcon BFII various models—LPG tanks
Ford—Falcon—LPG Service Valve Hand Tap
Ford—Fiesta—Steering column
Ford—JH Econovan—Front lower control arms ball joint securing bolts torque
Ford—UQ & US Explorer, 1999/2000 F Series, 1997 Lincoln Town Car vehicles equipped with speed control—Speed Control System modification (Refer to Recall number 2006/8836 - 19/10/2006)
Ford—VM Transit —Front Shock Absorber Lower Securing Bolt
Ford—WQ Fiesta & VM Transit—Front End Accessory Drive Belt
Ford—WX Fiesta—Steering Column
Ford—UP Explorer—Speed Control System modification
Ford—Econovan JH—rear brake link plate and rear brake idle lever replacement
Ford—Explorer Vehicles 2002 model year UT & certain 2003 model year UX
Ford—JH Econovan—Models built from March 2004 to Feb 2005

Holden Recalls
Holden—CG Captiva Model Year 2008 LX and 60th Anniversary Models—Side Indicator Lamp Malfunction
Holden—JF Viva Wagon
Holden—VE and WM models
Holden—VE Current and Ex Police/Emergency Service Vehicle—Surveillance Mode
Holden—VZ vehicles equipped with Side Airbags
Holden—Captiva—Brake Pedal Retaining Clip
Holden—Cruze—Front passenger SRS airbag
Holden—RA Rodeo—Brake Master Cylinder
Holden—VE & VZ Series Vehicles—LPG Service Valve Hand Tap
Holden—Commodore VE & WM Series—Fuel Hose
Holden—Commodore VE & WM Series—Rear Seat Belt Buckle
Holden—UBS Jackaroo and Monterey
Holden—VY SS Crewman
Holden—VY, VY2, V2, VZ, WK and WL variant vehicles
Holden—VZ/WL vehicles
Holden—XC Barina, Combo & Tigra—ABS Brakes
Holden—YG Cruze Driveshaft Circlip Replacement
Holden—509 XC Combo model Tyres
Holden—RA Rodeo
Holden—TS Astra Convertible
Holden—VY Adventra
Holden—VZ Commodore & WL Statesman/Caprice
Holden—VZ Crewman (Storm Pack)
Holden—VZ Diagnostic Link Connector
Holden—VZ/WL—Front Brake Hose Retaining Clip
Holden—XC Barina
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Benoxr.. its amazing how perspectives change when you deal with the facts rather than hot air and emotion....

Combine those numbers with the customer satisfaction info and Ford are travelling marginally better off than Holden..
There's Certainly no sound reason to jump ship to holden for quality or service reasons...

Old 13-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #45
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

benoxr, you might want to foward that off to the good people at Carsguide and ask them to explain why......
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #46
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^I suppose the Holden PR / Marketing money is spent in all sorts of places
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I am always amazed by some of the idiots on this forum that think when a Ford stalwart turns his back on Ford they automatically think said person will buy a Holden.... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #48
FordTech65

Why should the CEO make any comment at all?? Maybe if these poor excuses for journalists got off thier **** and did some real investigation they might surprise themselves and find that maybe it isn't the vehicle manufacturer that is the "actual" source of the problem/s!! They would rather sit in thier office and read extremely biased emails/letters from people that are disgruntled for one reason or another and use it as sensationalized journalism at its best. I'm pretty sure that Ford have investigated any "safety or quality" issues that have been brought to thier attention and maybe thier findings actually indicate there may be factors beyond thier control that contribute to these failures. Therefore any statements made could be misconscrued as an admission of guilt. As for those that say they'll never buy another Ford again,well thats the beauty of living in the lucky country.Its called freedom of choice and kudo's to you.
Old 14-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #49
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats stopping rivals of Ford sending false letters of complaints in to tarnish some rep?
Pretty sure Ford aren't so bad that every farking week the compliants section is bursting at the seams with Ford dramas.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #50
fordfreak22
Starter Motor

Every week it's the same thing they act as if they are helping people but they are only helping their mates at holden, I own an au11 fairmont wagon and it is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned but once again these same guys back then in the media killed of the AU as well, for some reason people who have no idea about cars listen to these guys as if they are hard core mechanics in the industry.
fordfreak22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #51
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Far from being a pointless topic, I think this is vitally important.

Because of the way Ford treats its customers I too can no longer recommend them to anyone. I don't really care if the cars have problems, all cars do. I would happily buy Australian and put a up with some problems if you got some SERVICE with your purchase. Instead you get the typical Ford treatment...

'NO COMMENT'... or best of all 'THEY ARE ALL LIKE THAT.'
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #52
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I am always amazed by some of the idiots on this forum that think when a Ford stalwart turns his back on Ford they automatically think said person will buy a Holden.... :
... Mitsubishi for me!!!
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #53
PETE_XR6

AND IT IS DONE!

Todays Herald Sun Ford's Marin Burela answers questions about the Territory and other issues

about fuken time!
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #54
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Is this the one?

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/ne...ad_territorys/
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I was really disappointed by Carsguide today.

Yes, the Territory has had its issues, and where they allow Mr Burela to answer some questions to give reassurance to the owners of Territories, you have a hard-luck story of a lady with that specialist Herald-Sun 'look sad for the camera with your kid in your arm' look.

I think it's great that Territory is getting recognition, but how can you build brand confidence when one week they're looking at the Territory positively, and a week later, they're focusing on its problems?

Sorry, I never knew that every other car manufacturer did it so well.

I don't doubt Ford's issues, but I wish that they'd use a broader brush.
Surely the people that 'Ask Smithy' don't ALL complain about their Falcon or territory as well.

I liked the Panamaera article though.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

No there was a Q&A with Marin himself. That's the horror story next to the Q&A to blow the issue out of proportion.

I can type out the Q&A if you guys want.
Old 26-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #57
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

At least they're sharing the love:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/ne..._industry_life
Old 26-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Default Marin Burela Q & A

Ok taken from Cars guide 26th June 2009 pg 24-25
Quote:
Q. Carsguide has received many letters about recurrent problems customers have with the Territory's front end, specifically ball-joint failures (excessive wear to the point of failure). What are your findings on this?

A. We are aware of a small number of customers with ball-joint issues which on investigation, were found to be due to excessive wear and, in some cases, were damage damage-related. Most cases were found during the course of routine service and dealt with before any issue arouse. Our engineering and service teams are continuing to actively monitor and investigate any incident identified in the field.
Quote:
Q. Carsguide understands this was a known even during the development of the Territory. Is this right?

A Our vehicles are subject to an extremely rigorous development process that exceeds global industry standards and includes sophisticated CAD and CAE modelling, continued component development, on-road testing - at our proving grounds and on public roads on a variety of surfaces - and a comprehensive engineering review and sign off process. The Territory ball joints passed this process.
Quote:
Q. The updated Territory has a new front suspension design. What has changed and has this fixed the problem?

A. In the automotive business it is normal practice to share technology and design changes across multiple product lines. This is normal and good business practice. A new design application for the virtual-pivot front suspension was implemented for the FG Falcon in 2008 and Territory received that new suspension design with the recent launch of the SY Mark II. New technologies developed for either Falcon or Territory make their way on to the other vehicle at the appropriate time in the model cycle. One example of this was the introduction of dynamic stability control on Territor when it was launched in 2004 - this technology was then applied to Falcon at the next model update in 2005. Specifically, the new virtual-point front suspension has altered the design application from a tention joint to a compression joint.
Quote:
Q. There has been a recall on Territory for brake-hose failures, but what about BA/BF Falcons?

A. The Territory front brake recall is to rectify an issue that is Territory-specific. Despite a very low expected incident rate of only 1.5 percent and the fact that Territory features a duel, independent braking system that provides braking performance from the rear in the case of any issue with the front brakes - as does Falcon - Ford pro-actively recalled all Territory vehicles in order to ensure the safety and piece of mind of our customers. We are investigating a small number of incidents with Falcon front brake hoses, though the root cause is yet to be determined. We are continuing to work with our dealers and other automotive repairers to gather data.
Quote:
Q. There is a dealer alert on rear brake hoses for BA/BF Falcon sedans but not utes and wagons. Why?

A. Utes and Wagons feature a different design for the brake hoses and, as a result, the service campaign for BA/BF sedan rear hoses does not apply to them.
Quote:
Q. Carsguide has fielded reports of peeling 'Shockwave blue' paint on BF Falcons. How many are affected? Is this actually a problem.

A. We are working with the supplier of our Shockwave paint and have repainted vehicles that have experienced an issue, at no cost for the repair to the customer.
Quote:
Q. There are reports of rusting on Territory where the paint is thin. Have you had complaints about this? Has the new Territory fixed this?

A. We are aware of a small number of customers, primarily from coastal areas, who have experienced corrosion, which is cosmetic in nature. Where necessary, those cases are being repaired. It is not a broad problem.
Quote:
Q. Collectively, do these problems harm Ford's hard-won reputation?

A. Ford is one of the most respected companies in Australia with 85 years of dedicated commitment to delivering outstanding vehicles across all market segments, which has been endorsed by many third-party commendations and awards. Our reputation is of the utmost importance to us, which is why which is one reason we invested significant resources into becoming the first Australian car company to achieve a five star safety rating for our Falcon sedan range. We are committed to doing the right thing by our customers and will continue to do so into the future.
Old 26-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #59
faalcon

Quoted from carsguide 26/6/09
In her efforts to get to the bottom of the failure Ms Heraudeau has contacted the dealer, Ford's warranty centre and the company's Customer Service Centre, but with no satisfactory response there she has also been in contact with the RACV and the Victorian Government Consumer Affairs Department, who recommended she contact Carsguide

I didn't know that carsguide were affilliated with Victorian consumer affairs to fix problems they could not handle.
faalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #60
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Don't know how effective this will be, I don't think it was Marin's best effort. Damned if you do, damed if you don't.