Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #31
FPV70

[QUOTE=auxr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70
Hate to correct you but, The first 4 cars around Hell Corner in 1972 were 4 YX GT's. Allan Moffat Leading, Followed by John Goss, Fred Gibson and John French.

Hate to correct you but I believe they were XY GT's , typo's don't you hate them, but yes the memory does get a bit hazy - but hey, either way I still get to yell at the big screen with a few mates, bbq blazing -doesn't really faze me with today's car set up - still the same spirit, red against the blue.

lol, Love it mate... yeah gotta hate the typo's hahaha
Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #32
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
that GTHO rollover on the armco was insane dude was so lucky he got away with that one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWtTue8yXLE
somehow, bill brown was not the luckiest one in the accident
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #33
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 1st Bathurst that i wtched would be the best memory for me, the EB from 1992 or whotever was jus a young fella loved the EB's ever since have my own now for that reason

Other than that growing into a car nut in the dark days it was soooooo good to see a ford on top again in 2006, 2 days before i got my 1st v8 falcon, listening to it on the way to melbourne on the radio in dads truck then watchin it at the roadhouse in barcaldine was where i finally saw it again GREAT TIMES GREAT TIMES
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #34
xls3v

888 car has no ford branding what so ever i noticed on the box today

they could always just slap the holden badges on it already
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #35
minheim

My favourite was the 1974 John Goss/Kevin Bartlett (McLeod Ford) win. They were privateers beating the odds, the new v8 toranas and the rain. Also it was only fair given Goss had the 1973 race won until a Torana fatally damaged his hardtop that year. Love that scene where Moffat is in the Goss pit giving advice and support. From memory Moffat actually supplied the wet weather Goodyear tyres that were fitted to the normally Bridgestone sponsored Goss falcon. An era were the badge meant support and loyalty and before the safety car turned the great race into a last hour sprint race.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #36
Dan289

Hardies Hero's 1981, KB sliding the big camaro to pole position, 2 seconds faster than anyone, in the wettest day ever.. Dick winning the race on Sunday with Tru Blu just capped it off beautifully...
Dan289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #37
arnhemal
Starter Motor

Most memorable moment?

2 mechanics swinging through the rear door of Brocky's car (VK??) and kicking the rear window out after he lost the front windscreen. It was smooth as. As if they had practiced it.

As for this weekend, i would like to see Frosty get a win.

Alex
arnhemal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan289
Hardies Hero's 1981, KB sliding the big camaro to pole position, 2 seconds faster than anyone, in the wettest day ever.. Dick winning the race on Sunday with Tru Blu just capped it off beautifully...
I watched the '81 Hardie Heroes on youtube the other week. Great stuff.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #39
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

F irst
O n
R ace
D ay

is what matters...

1977 is my favorite. Moffat should be glad Colin Bond was at the wheel of the number 2 car... I've had a word with Alan Hamilton and I don't think he would have been so gracious...

XC Falcon Coupe, Bathurst winner.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #40
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
F irst
O n
R ace
D ay

is what matters...

1977 is my favorite. Moffat should be glad Colin Bond was at the wheel of the number 2 car... I've had a word with Alan Hamilton and I don't think he would have been so gracious...

XC Falcon Coupe, Bathurst winner.
That would be because Colin was and will always be a gentleman !!
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #41
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Yes, the ultimate motor racing conundrum, you compete to win...until the team orders tap you on the shoulder, bend you forward and ask you to cough.

Not only is Colin a gentleman, he is a legend; for what he has achieved and for what he was asked to do.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funnily enough both cars and driver pairing get almost equal credit for the staged 1977 1-2 finish so i don't think the "team strategy" has hurt Colin's reputation of place in history too much....
People talk about the 1977 1-2 Ford Victory more than the 1977 Moffat victory...

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #43
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
People talk about the 1977 1-2 Ford Victory more than the 1977 Moffat victory...
..and your tip for 2009's victory?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #44
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DJR or FPR either way it has to be a ford but you never know til they cross the line
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #45
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'm not going to Bathurst this year and its hurting me already will be going next year
Bathurst is Bathurst don't care whats racing there it is a awesome circuit and the moments and stores it produces is what i love you could go on for ever about what happens there on the track and off the track I'm excited bring it on : :
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #46
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

does anyone know just how many laps the two moffat cars travelled together at the end of the 77 race - 1, 5, 10, 20??
basically at what lap did bond catch up
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #47
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim
My favourite was the 1974 John Goss/Kevin Bartlett (McLeod Ford) win. They were privateers beating the odds, the new v8 toranas and the rain. Also it was only fair given Goss had the 1973 race won until a Torana fatally damaged his hardtop that year. Love that scene where Moffat is in the Goss pit giving advice and support. From memory Moffat actually supplied the wet weather Goodyear tyres that were fitted to the normally Bridgestone sponsored Goss falcon. An era were the badge meant support and loyalty and before the safety car turned the great race into a last hour sprint race.

A close second but the best privateer effort I recon was Larry Perkins in 95 in his VR commodore. Not only did he come from a LAP DOWN to win but did it with the old holden 308 where everyone else said 308 was past it's use by date and had switched to chev motors.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #48
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1977 1-2
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #49
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the long run it was actualy better for bond to stay in position.
If he had of taken the win i think his win would have jsut slipped thru in the record books and not been remembered by many except the enthusiasts (like tony longhursts and alan grices)

By staying in formation, it became famous,and eveyone knew who came second, who he was.

god i used to love bathurst, lived for it same way littel kid hangs out for xmas. Now i couldnt give a bugger who wins. I wil lwatch it i guess.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #50
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default Start time of Sunday race?

Would anyone know the approx. start time of the main race on Sunday? Ta. Can't find it on the website, TV guide kinda helps but just wondering if someone has a better idea.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #51
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Would anyone know the approx. start time of the main race on Sunday? Ta. Can't find it on the website, TV guide kinda helps but just wondering if someone has a better idea.

I've got 9.30am in my head but that may be SA time which would make the actual start time 10am on the east coast.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #52
gazza's terri
Starter Motor

Dick johnson 1983 green machine quailifing crash, would have been a fantasic lap. Gee they dont sound like that any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMJsGG0QOIU
gazza's terri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #53
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
According to the V8SC website:
10:30 - 17:27
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #54
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Rather see HRT win than team Vodafone.
Thats a big statement.
Think i need to lie down.
Oh boy. Be careful what you ask for. :
Old 16-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #55
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I'm up to lap 67 of 161 so far, due to lack of time to watch it. I hope to finish it before the middle of next week. So far it's turning out to be the most boring Bathurst ever.

I always look forward to the car data telemetry readouts with in-cockpit camera but so far they've only done it once, briefly.

Am quite over this series, all the cars are the same and there are so many rules. I heard something about a rule governing being able to fold a mirror away and back again to help the driver get out and in. Sounds ridiculous.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post