Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #31
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow! That's an absolute disgrace! Worse than the Hindley Street Macca's on a Saturday night here in Adelaide!
At the events over here in Adelaide, you usually see the scouts come in afterwards to clean up the bottles and cans. Would be a nice little money spinner for them.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #32
jonk

My Dad owned 2 can & bottle depots in SA. The stories I could tell... it was some of the hardest manual labour work I've ever come across. It was outdoors rain or shine and in the holiday period incredible.

People would come down from Adelaide saying they couldn't believe how quick we were than the Adelaide depots. It was a hell of an experience but now it so much easier with 'everything' being done by mass binning method. Hand crushing glass, constantly getting cut then dealing with stale alcohol.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #33
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
End of cup week 2008 at Flemington, the public lawn:

we really are a disgracefull /disscusting spiecies arn`t we :
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #34
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

As best I understand it, the 10c is added to the wholesale price of the product and passed onto the consumer. Over time this has been absorbed by the manufacturers, so the price of drinks in SA has stayed the same as the rest of the country. The 10c from each container is then collected by the SA Government and refunded to consumers when they return the containers for recycling.

Containers must carry a "10c refund when sold in SA" label, but the older 5c refund label is still on most containers. All returned containers are worth 10c regardless of the label.

Containers that can be returned for a refund include cans, plastic and glass bottles, flavoured milk cartons, fruit juice boxes etc.

I live close to the Victorian border, and there have been stories in the local paper of Vics saving their cans then bringing them over the border to cash them in. I was talking to a worker last time I went to the recycling centre who said they have been told to ask for proof of residence in SA for anyone who drives up with a non-SA registered car, and not to give the refund for any containers that have been crushed if the 10c refund logo isn't visible.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Nice post Bud Bud

Not entirely true. The deposit is paid by the purchaser of the beverage on top of the wholesale and retail margins.
When the recycling depot passes the containers on to a collection co-ordinator they are paid the 10c and a handling fee so that they may be profitable.
So its not the Govt that funds the deposit scheme. Its self sufficient.
How does the money get from the retailer / wholesaler to the collection people? I was lead to believe the Govt played middle man.

Did some research (gotta love google) and found this
http://www.kesab.asn.au/uploads/File/Fact%20Sheets%20-%20Container%20Deposit%20Legislation%20(CDL).htm
which suggests that the govt have nothing to do with the cash flow. You learn something everyday!

Last edited by smally289; 11-11-2009 at 06:56 PM.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #36
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
How does the money get from the retailer / wholesaler to the collection people?
I also did some googling and found this:
  • The manufacturer collects the deposit from the wholesaler.
  • The wholesaler collects the deposit from the retailer.
  • The retailer collects the deposit from the consumer.
  • The consumer returns the container to a collection centre and is refunded their deposit.
  • The collection centres sort the containers and return them to an "agent" of the manufacturer. These are container maufacturers, such as Visy.
  • The manufacturer then reimburses the collection centre.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #37
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought all states had a recycle plant, we save our cans and bottles during the year and pays for our Christmas drinks.

This year as a bonus they offered $15 bucks to recycle the wife (who was sitting in the front seat at the time) ? why not, buys a few more beers and stops one ear from hurting with all of that nagging, so i took the offer while it was good,
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #38
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Qld they used to have an ally can recycle system where they would weigh the cans and give $'s on the weight. There were some that used to put rocks and old sinkers in some of the cans and crush them. If it looked to be too heavy for what it wasd they would not accept them. So the young folk would still put rocks ect in the cans and hand over a bag with some crushed and some not, to make it harder for them to judge if they were being had. In the end all cans had to be crushed, so they could tell if the weight was out or not.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #39
BA Baracus
xls

Many years ago in qld one of my brothers mates filled his car with cans, and drove to the recycle place probably 5 km away. He made about 30 bucks on the cans but he punctured the front tyres of his car dropping them off, cost him 70 bucks.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #40
redranga

I have a wheelie bin out the back that I put my bottles and cans in. When I walk to the shop to get the paper on the weekend I take a plastic bag and hang it on the back of the kids prams. Usually make $2 per weekend.

When the wheelie bin is full i put the glass into crates and crush the cans and plastic bottles. Ive got the mother in law saving hers for me also.

Once ive got a few bags of cans I take them and get money back. I count them at home and hand them in and give the bloke there my count, he just hands over the money. Usually go about 3 times a year and always get over $100 each time.
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #41
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by police
I have a wheelie bin out the back that I put my bottles and cans in. When I walk to the shop to get the paper on the weekend I take a plastic bag and hang it on the back of the kids prams. Usually make $2 per weekend.

When the wheelie bin is full i put the glass into crates and crush the cans and plastic bottles. Ive got the mother in law saving hers for me also.

Once ive got a few bags of cans I take them and get money back. I count them at home and hand them in and give the bloke there my count, he just hands over the money. Usually go about 3 times a year and always get over $100 each time.
Couldn't resist... Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7ly_...eature=related
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )

Last edited by Charliewool; 15-11-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #42
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i think that in most states you can sell your ally drink cans but instead of the set price per can like SA they are weighed and you are paid the going scrap metal rate. no $$ for glass or plastic.

my neighbours consume a fair quantity of beer and have lots of empty cans that they crush and sell.
to crush them he puts them in an old wool pak and lays them on the lawn, then drives over them in the landcruiser wagon till the bag is flat. think he has as much fun crushing them as emptying them.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #43
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

My boss cringes when we mention recycling cans..

we save all the cans and bottles we drink at work, and when the four or five 240L wheelie bins are full he loads them in his ute and takes them down to the recycling depot. They pay for regular bbq's for us arvo shift guys.

On his last trip there the owner of the depot backed their forklift into the tub of my bosses rodeo mini-truck :hihi:
On the bright side, the insurance paid for a complete respray of the ute

In regards to the pic of flemington posted above, and the interstate collection of cans, I think the same thing on the saturday night of every summernats i've been to.. 'if only i could get all these cans back to SA'
Old 24-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #44
jonk

Still surprised haven't been asked to spill 'your guts' on can/bottle depot stuff.

Basically though, the other states don't know what they're missing out on.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post