Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #31
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGN-355
Its built in korea what do u expect. I didnt see what the problem was with there frontera's they used to sell up until 02.
Don't know much about Fronteras but i know one thing. My bro-in-law brought one (4-cyl) on a camping trip and it was GUTLESS. (Apparently the 6-cyl version has a bit of poke.)

Two cars, each with two blokes and their gear. The Frontera (unencumbered) couldn't keep up with a 2000 4-cyl petrol Hilux (which is no rocket ship) with a trailer and 2 bikes on the back.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #32
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I used to work at a holden dealer and there was only 1 craptiva sold in 12 months there, but every week there would be 2 or 3 craptiva threw the service department usually with electrical issues.

But when I think about it, the dealer ship where i was also sold nissans, so why buy the craptiva when the pathfinder, murano, x trail and possibley navara would look to be the better cars. If I was looking at something like a craptiva I would happily loose the extra seats to get something that drives, looks, as capable off road, feels so much better and be cheaper. That car would be a nissan xtrail turbo diesel

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #33
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where's KUGA ? When we need it !!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #34
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGN-355
Its built in korea what do u expect. I didnt see what the problem was with there frontera's they used to sell up until 02.
That is why Hyundai is one of the most successful motor companies in recent times, has won many awards internationally and is continuing to gain a reputation for increased reliability and quality.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Awards/default.aspx

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/10/...carmakers.html

Just a couple of things to consider...

Yes, Hyundai were pieces of junk when they first came about, but now they are becoming a far more cost effective vehicle than others, and their quality and reliability is improving.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #35
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Yes, Hyundai were pieces of junk when they first came about, but now they are becoming a far more cost effective vehicle than others, and their quality and reliability is improving.
Sadly, GM Daewoo is not improving.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
That is why Hyundai is one of the most successful motor companies in recent times, has won many awards internationally and is continuing to gain a reputation for increased reliability and quality.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Awards/default.aspx

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/10/...carmakers.html

Just a couple of things to consider...

Yes, just look at their sales figures in Australia for 2009. They must be doing something right.....
Old 09-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #37
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lemons are restricted to just the big three here. There is a black late model Mercedes van getting around here with "this car is a lemon" in big yellow letters down the sides and across the back. Freq parked on the highway and outside the dealers yard.
Its about time the pollies pulled their noses out of the trough and actually did something about lemon laws instead of just paying lip service
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #38
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

A mate of mine bought a new Captiva about 2 years ago, he got one with the lot, it cost him plenty so I thought it best to shut my mouth even though the word Craptiva was constantly running through my head.
Anyway when he bought it he knew it was made in Korea, but went on to say that it had a Commodore V6 engine and transmission, so that made it an Aussie car.
What is it with these Holden people, they think Holdens are Aussie, even when they know they have been manufactured in another country. Its the same as the ones who put Chev badges on Commondores because its got a Chev V8. :
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #39
mitch

Have you guys heard about the new recall for the craptiva.It was in the West Australian on thursday, Steering failure,yes STEERING failure

A work mate came into the crib room the same day sprouting about the article in the same paper, that the holden commodore was the best selling car in WA for the year,which got most of the other boys bagging me as well about how holden is this and that and Fords are crap ad naseum ad naseum.

UNTIL i pointed out the small recall notice for the holden craptiva at the back of the paper. You should have heard the excuses come out then until the subject changed very conveniently

So the media and certain posters on ls1 can scream blue murder about Ford ball joints and brake line issues(as they rightly should) ,but nobody seems too say anything about cheap built to a price, second rate daewoo garbage (sold at premium prices) flying towards your family doing 110ks on our roads, with reports of STEERING FAILURE

Sounds typical to me ,so about time some one got stuck into holden isnt it?

sorry to rant just got of night shift
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #40
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Cobra
What is it with these Holden people, they think Holdens are Aussie, even when they know they have been manufactured in another country. Its the same as the ones who put Chev badges on Commondores because its got a Chev V8. :
I don't see what the big deal with chev badges is, its their car, they have to drive it, look at it daily. They sell the VE as chevs over seas anyway.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #41
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
A mate of mine bought a new Captiva about 2 years ago, he got one with the lot, it cost him plenty so I thought it best to shut my mouth even though the word Craptiva was constantly running through my head.
Anyway when he bought it he knew it was made in Korea, but went on to say that it had a Commodore V6 engine and transmission, so that made it an Aussie car.
I Don't know where he gets that it' got a Commodore Engine & gear box as the 3.2 is not in a commodore nor is it FWD or AWD. I have added a pic of Craptiva you can see FWD gearbox in it.
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...-10_460x0w.jpg
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #42
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Im not saying the Captiva does or doesnt have Aussie anything in it, the point is that the perception to some buyers is that its an Aussie car.

And just for the record, there is currently no Holden sold in America as a Chev, unless of course you mean the Pontiac G8. In that case they slould be slapping Pontiac badges on the VEs (not likely).
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #43
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Im not saying the Captiva does or doesnt have Aussie anything in it, the point is that the perception to some buyers is that its an Aussie car.

And just for the record, there is currently no Holden sold in America as a Chev, unless of course you mean the Pontiac G8. In that case they slould be slapping Pontiac badges on the VEs (not likely).
Point 1 Just agreeing with you.
Secondly, agree again as what is the point in owning a car then putting another badge on it, I suppose it's a bit like if you cannot win a race then go buy the competitions race car.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Sadly, GM Daewoo is not improving.
That may be absolutely true, but to brand all Korean cars in the manner that I was responding too is ludicrous.

I know many people who have owned Hyundais and for the price, they are absolutely satisfied and they all say, 'the car has been very reliable.'

These people range from owning 1990 Excels to a 2008 i30.

That was my point.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #45
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_h187
Don't tell anyone.. but I actually work as a holden tech. And to tell you the truth, we haven't had many troubles with the captivas at all. From my experience, they've been one of the better cars of the holden fleet, even if they are daewoos. Sure you get a few shocker cars here and there, but show me a line of car that hasn't.

Not trying to defend captivas or anything, but if you base your opinions on anything from what you see on current affair/today tonight...... :
Now, that doesn't say much for the rest of the fleet, does it.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #46
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I cant believe how many fo you guys have been suckered in by the brilliant investigative journalism of Today Tonight simply because theyre picking on a Holden, if the same article was about a Ford, everyone here would be hanging **** on the journos

fwiw, I've been working for Holden since the start of august, and the only warranty work we've had on Captivas is a couple of rear shock absorbers and a problem with one that saw a lot of dirt roads and was having problems with dust leaking in through the rear body vent
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #47
kezzer

Quote:

I didn't say America, they are sold as chevs in the middle east, and other parts of the globe. Sold as buick in some other countries, its an international platform, have whatever damn badge you want.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #48
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

^not to mention the SS's and whatever they are feature a CHEVROLET engine drivetrain.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #49
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
^not to mention the SS's and whatever they are feature a CHEVROLET engine drivetrain.
I always thought they are a GM powertrain engine.
Since a few divisions of GM have used them.

Same thing as Lincoln and mercury using Ford engines?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #50
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dorve one yesterday and well um I liked it. the way I see it is my BA was a lemon back to the dealer countles times even had there roaming expert tech guy come out to sort out a few issues on 2 different occasions, I then came in sucker and got a territory, not a bad car but really bad quality control issues and again it was back to the dealer for warranty many times for just silly things.

Its time to replace the territory now and the captiva is looking like a good option, I havent asked ford to quote and wont be,

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #51
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Its time to replace the territory now and the captiva is looking like a good option, I havent asked ford to quote and wont be,
Why not a Kluger or CX9?
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #52
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

When I was managing a Toyota dealership, we swapped 2 people out of Craptiva's, and put them into Klugers. The senior management team decided that this was the best thing to do, as it would save face seeing as they are also Holden dealers. Both the Craptivas spent more time in the workshop, than in the customers garage. In the end, the easiest solution was to get these people out of their vehicles, in case they went to shows like Today Tonight. (Not that a dealer would ever try to hide anything LOL)
Old 13-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #53
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Why not a Kluger or CX9?
Fair price hike for the CX9, you also have the VW tiguen, Mitsi Outlander etc that fit into that medium size soccer mum category.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #54
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Today Tonight and A Current Affair are both crap shows. Gutter Journalism.

I do agree with the show saying that the "Lemon Law" should be introduced here.
i agree on TT and ACA, both

What's the difference between united states lemon laws and ours. here they can fix it as many times as needed while in warranty, where there's a cut off point in usa where the manuf has to buy the car back?
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #55
Whitey Ford

Quote:
I dorve one yesterday and well um I liked it. the way I see it is my BA was a lemon back to the dealer countles times even had there roaming expert tech guy come out to sort out a few issues on 2 different occasions, I then came in sucker and got a territory, not a bad car but really bad quality control issues and again it was back to the dealer for warranty many times for just silly things.

Hey why don't you just buy one of those Great Wall SUV's instead?

They're like $20,000 so you could probably buy two!
Whitey Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #56
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
All I can say is, its about damn time the media give Holden the beating theyve loooonngg deserved.
Here here!, 10 years ago if you told people that one day a large amount of the cars in the Holden line up would be Daewoos they would have laughed in your face!

How things have changed
Old 14-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #57
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
Hey why don't you just buy one of those Great Wall SUV's instead?

They're like $20,000 so you could probably buy two!
looking at a few things but I put the Great Wall unit a tad below the terriotry in quality, but I wont begetting pricing off ford Ive just had enough of the ford system as it currently stands.

Old 14-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #58
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
looking at a few things but I put the Great Wall unit a tad below the terriotry in quality, but I wont begetting pricing off ford Ive just had enough of the ford system as it currently stands.
Yeti have a good look at Mitsubishi and Nissan, both have vehicles in the Territory and Craptiva range. I too have had many issues with my Territory and the BA which went 4 months ago but I would not seriously consider the Craptiva, I don't think you can beat the Japanese for quality and reliability
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #59
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea drove the Kluger and the Chalanger yesterday, and am trying to organise a drive of a pathfinder as we speek (all more expencive cars than either the Territory or Captiva I know) I just couldnt put my self through the poor quality control and after sales service I have experianced ove rthe last 3 new ford cars I've had

in all honusty the captiva is really a only as a last resort car but that said it drove every bit as good as the Territory it has different engine options and is well appointed