Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
While I wholeheartedly support your statement, what ever happened to the old chestnut, "innocent until proven guilty"?
It appears in the article to be a civil seizure, so is not dependant on criminal charges. I am pretty sure that if it is a civil confiscation there just has to be a person who is involved (on the balance of probabilities- the civil standard) in serious criminal activity that has wealth that appears to be beyond their means, or something along those lines, I am not getting the legislation out to check.

I am pretty sure the CMC deals with it, instructed by their own investigation, or that of the police.

If anyone is interested the Act is quite intriguing, its called the Criminal Proceeds Confiscation Act and it is QLD legislation.

If Stevens agrees to the sale of it, I reckon he knows he isn't getting it back!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #32
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Ask the naval base bottle shop about driving TD's on the road

does happen
Old 17-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
It does make you wonder what happened to due process.

But does also note that stevens does not oppose this. ..
Im gonna go out on a limb and say the drug offences have nothing to do with the sale of his possessions.
Id say the Police asked him to explain where he got the money to fund them, he didnt want to incriminate himself and had no other verifiable source and so let them go to avoid answering the hard question.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #34
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

The police in SA can do as they please in regard to "seizure" of your property it is on YOU to prove how you got what you have.

An example: My uncle is an interstate owner/driver who was pulled over and searched in a heavy vehicle blitz in SA, his truck was searched and his "emergency funds" found, approx 2k in cash which the police then seized.

Now the 2k was used for living expenses away from home if he couldn't catch a load back from Sydney straight away or if he needed to make a minor repair on the truck.

2k of hard earned money taken at an officer's discretion and nothing more, no suspected criminal activity, no criminal record just a copper exercising his govt given right to take your property.

To get the money back is not a simple procedure such as writing a letter of explanation for lawfully having 2k of cash on your person, no you have to apply through the courts which meant that to reclaim his own money it would have required a solicitor which would have cost around...????........go on have a guess!
Old 18-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #35
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Im gonna go out on a limb and say the drug offences have nothing to do with the sale of his possessions.
Id say the Police asked him to explain where he got the money to fund them, he didnt want to incriminate himself and had no other verifiable source and so let them go to avoid answering the hard question.

Wrong

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #36
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
Wrong
Yeah, I can 100% say that his charges are drug related. I'm pretty sure I remember reading he was charged with manufacture and distribution of commercial quantities of amphetamines.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post