Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
im talking about NSW not just sydney, the roads are terrible here, motorways excluded. nowhere near the quality of roads you guys have
You need to get out of Brisbane up here. I have driven on all the major roads, including around your area and they are much better than up here.

But yes way off topic.
Old 14-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #32
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
This has gone way off topic...but drive Darra to Briz on Ipswich Motorway, shocking road for a major Motorway. or Bruce Highway !!!???
i was just trying to point out Queenslanders have had it good for a long time, now they have to pay around the same money as the rest of the country.

edit; after reading the post about VIC rego maybe it was just NSW who was getting screwed over
Old 14-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
i was just trying to point out Queenslanders have had it good for a long time, now they have to pay around the same money as the rest of the country.

edit; after reading the post about VIC rego maybe it was just NSW who was getting screwed over

I actually agree with you on this, QLD did have it good.

But you need to consider it in the context of expenses compared to income, NSW has a much higher average income, so does Vic and ACT. So yes we are now starting to pay the same but the income is not the same, this equals unhappy QLD.

It is not just about comparing apples with apples, you have to consider the rest of the grocery basket and the money available to buy it.
Old 14-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #34
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Canberra we only have a 5 year licence, unless special approval is given for 1 year.

$41.70 for 1 year
$145.00 for 5 years

Rego costs are

Car (full size) $853.90
Motorbikes (over 300cc) $511.40
Utes (scale varies depending on weight) From 0 - 975kg @ $741.80 to 2795kg - 4500kg @ $1129.10

We also have our greenslip costs factored into the rego. So we don't need pink slips each year, so no inspections. Just pay to renew.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #35
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I actually agree with you on this, QLD did have it good.

But you need to consider it in the context of expenses compared to income, NSW has a much higher average income, so does Vic and ACT. So yes we are now starting to pay the same but the income is not the same, this equals unhappy QLD.

It is not just about comparing apples with apples, you have to consider the rest of the grocery basket and the money available to buy it.
how much does an average house cost up there? .....im not trying to start a fight i just think QLD residents have it good

and our income isnt that much better, its sydneys population that jacks up our average
Old 14-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #36
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anna Bligh is like a woman on a shopping spree with an open cheque book. Loves to spend money on useless crap!
How about spending that $84 million on young driver ed Anna?

Bent over QLD and cop another one up the freckle from Momma Bligh ...... with love!

Lets hope this is not true as nothing is set in concrete yet. From experience, the fact that they are passing little comment, in political terms, generally means that we are in for an unexpected fingering....... again!

Considering what we are paying, our national highways are still a disgrace and an absolute shame, taking its toll on cars and drivers. Drive around the major cities though (Brisbane), things look alot different.

Last edited by J.C.; 14-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #37
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$350k
Old 14-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #38
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how much does an average house cost up there? .....im not trying to start a fight i just think QLD residents have it good

and our income isnt that much better, its sydneys population that jacks up our average
Small mining town of 10000-12000 people. Two hours from anywhere.

Nice home, two to four year old. Four bedroom. $700000 plus.
Old 14-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #39
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Small mining town of 10000-12000 people. Two hours from anywhere.

Nice home, two to four year old. Four bedroom. $700000 plus.
i wonder what the average wage is in that "small mining town" lol
Old 14-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #40
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How about the cost of living etc.

Ever considered passing a thought about that?
Still, there are people a great deal worse off.

We are getting off topic here aren't we?
Old 14-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #41
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The real problem here is not on whether QLD residents have had it good for so long, the issue here is the sudden increase in price. You and I may see the increases as just bringing the prices into alignment with the other states. As an example, if you or I were to suddenly see our licence costs increase 300% from $150 to $450, then we would definatley have something to say about it. Same as rego and fuel prices. Regardless of the increase, if you suddenly found you needed to come up with an extra 300% each year, while your income is not increasing, then you would have to find it in your budget and for a lot of people, along with interest rate increases and other increases, then it would be a real strain.

And I guess the bottom line is, we don't reside in QLD, so how does this affect us? It doesn't.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Just because the wage my be higher in these 'Small mining towns' doesnt mean a thing. These towns are often remote therefore the cost of getting daily essentials to these places is often more therefore resulting in higher prices aswell.
Ive only been in QLD 3 years or there abouts and i have even noticed that it has changed in that short period of time everything has risen but not the pay every Wednesday.
And TBH its often the case that people like me are often the blame for the way things are in QLD as the amount of people that move here is astronomical. But i do consider myself a QLD'er now, although alot of people wouldnt

As for the roads, the only 'good' main road we have is the M1 from Bris to GC IMO
Old 14-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #43
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
The real problem here is not on whether QLD residents have had it good for so long, the issue here is the sudden increase in price. You and I may see the increases as just bringing the prices into alignment with the other states. As an example, if you or I were to suddenly see our licence costs increase 300% from $150 to $450, then we would definatley have something to say about it. Same as rego and fuel prices. Regardless of the increase, if you suddenly found you needed to come up with an extra 300% each year, while your income is not increasing, then you would have to find it in your budget and for a lot of people, along with interest rate increases and other increases, then it would be a real strain.

And I guess the bottom line is, we don't reside in QLD, so how does this affect us? It doesn't.
10 out of 10 for the above comment. :

Just to add to the house price thing. Five years ago a 30yrs old, small three bedroom "miners cottage" was $60000 -$75000. Now they are selling for $450000 plus.
Do the maths.

Last edited by J.C.; 14-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
10 out of 10 for the above comment. :
Ditto
Old 14-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #45
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
The real problem here is not on whether QLD residents have had it good for so long, the issue here is the sudden increase in price...Regardless of the increase, if you suddenly found you needed to come up with an extra 300% each year, while your income is not increasing, then you would have to find it in your budget and for a lot of people, along with interest rate increases and other increases, then it would be a real strain.
Hit the nail on the head.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
yeah we have to have a pink slip (safety inspection)
But not every 12 months like the paper Nazis down South.
Ball joint and tie rod mecca for unscrupulous inspection centres.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #47
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
But not every 12 months like the paper Nazis down South.
Ball joint and tie rod mecca for unscrupulous inspection centres.
We have to get a pink slip every 12 months, just not for the first 3 years with a new car.

And DJM83 ive lived in extremely remote locations before, the prices are very similar, just the range of items is limited.

Its probably pricey because the median wage is higher then average.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #48
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poor Anna Bligh is just trying to fix the problems her mentor Peter Beatoff ran away from.
Well that's right beatoff did say he had no opposition in springbag.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #49
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi Will this make Queenslanders 300% better drivers. Cheers MD

Not a chance in hell

The Queensland government seem to be putting up all fees.
Maybe the federal government is about to change the ways that the GST monies are handed out and the southern states won't have to subsidise Qld any longer.

We can live in hope.

As for the licence fees. NSW 5 year licences were $142 when I renewed mine in 2008. and rego for an XR8 ute has been over $1000 for quite some time now.

So you won't get any sympathy from me. Welcome to the real world.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #50
Wally
XP Coupe

You can all be sure, if QLD is spending so much on identity fraud reduction, the other states will follow, leasing the technology and hiking the licence fees to parity. That's what Qld does, spends gobs on development and then enterprises it, like e.g. Citec, medical research, etc
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #51
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
$350k

Where? House and land package starts at $400k and that is near Inala (high end real estate there)!
Old 14-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #52
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Not a chance in hell

The Queensland government seem to be putting up all fees.
Maybe the federal government is about to change the ways that the GST monies are handed out and the southern states won't have to subsidise Qld any longer.

We can live in hope.

As for the licence fees. NSW 5 year licences were $142 when I renewed mine in 2008. and rego for an XR8 ute has been over $1000 for quite some time now.

So you won't get any sympathy from me. Welcome to the real world.

When I get equivalent pay to my NSW peers, I won't care either, simple fact is I don't so at the moment I do care.
Old 14-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #53
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Great my 5 year license expires in July.
Old 14-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #54
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Update it now before it goes up?

and 350k sounds like the Goodna area
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #55
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
Update it now before it goes up?

and 350k sounds like the Goodna area
Agreed, the only area I can think of would be the Goodna or Carole Park areas. If that is "average Queensland", I am moving state right now.

Our area is pretty average residential, consisting of mostly 4 bedroom homes on 500-600 sqm blocks and they will cost you around $500, but we are a long way from the city. In closer, for example the Mount Gravatt area will be in the high end of $700k for something similar.
Old 14-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #56
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To put things in perspective, 1 acre 4 bedroom 20-30 year old homes are averaging between 700 and 800k in Gold Coast Hinterland, specifically Mudgeeraba
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Well go in there tomorrow and tell them you are going overseas for 6 months and will need your license.

They will give you a new plastic with 2 expiry dates if they are different classes (e.g. P + O) or 1 expiry date if going from open to open.

I have done it twice over the last 20 years when I have been going to be away for renewal, once interstate the other USA.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #58
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bligh is going to increase the price of everything when she privatises everyting I thought 600000 people would have signed this petition by now.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/vie...1360&lIndex=-1
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Agreed, the only area I can think of would be the Goodna or Carole Park areas. If that is "average Queensland", I am moving state right now.

Our area is pretty average residential, consisting of mostly 4 bedroom homes on 500-600 sqm blocks and they will cost you around $500, but we are a long way from the city. In closer, for example the Mount Gravatt area will be in the high end of $700k for something similar.
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/real-esta...ouses-brisbane

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/real-esta...south-east-qld

You do realise that the majority of QLD is NOT IN BRISBANE don't you
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #60
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/real-esta...ouses-brisbane

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/real-esta...south-east-qld

You do realise that the majority of QLD is NOT IN BRISBANE don't you

These prices are for town houses and units, not houses. The majority of the suburbs are areas that I stand by my previous comment, if that is average queensland I am out of here.

Quote:
The five most affordable suburbs in Brisbane are all located in our city's south-west.
With median house prices under $350,000 for the year ending March, Inala, Acacia Ridge, Darra, Durack and Rocklea all provide good entry-level opportunities for buyers.
I would not want to live in any of those suburbs, I work in Durack and they all are in my work area so I know what they are like. Next time I see you, remind me and I shall show you the Inala Macarena.

I think the point has been proved, someone said the median house price in QLD was $350k and that is not the case, it is the lower range of the market in QLD.