Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #31
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
AFL, the only sport where you get a point for missing
Ford Forums - a place where people post the same stuff OVER AND OVER again.

That, and in AFL when you miss, it's out of bounds on the full. You get nothing.

When you score but don't kick a goal, you get a behind. Could I argue that in cricket when you don't hit the ball, you can still get a BYE?

Jimmy Bartel's behind after the siren...ask the crowd if they cared. I certainly did, and it was a sweet behind!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yawn
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #33
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
I can comfortably say having played both codes that switching (at least at a junior level) is not as difficult as most would believe. I can also say that league is both more fun and harder work.
That's hardly brilliant, using AusKick as the measuring stick when comparing the intensity required by both sports. Your argument lacks any real credibility.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #34
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
That's hardly brilliant, using AusKick as the measuring stick when comparing the intensity required by both sports. Your argument lacks any real credibility.
you're more than welcome to your opinion. I simply use the best information I have gathered first hand to form my own.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once got a birdie playing pitch and putt. How hard can it be to emulate it in real golf?

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #36
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how many fans bitching and complaining about being hard done by, don't even support their club financially or go to games. If Folau is looking to get more money, who cares. His choice. He's the one who goes to training, does the hard yards and plays the game. We just sit back, drink beer and hurl abuse at the TV. Israel Folau is not the game of rugby league. He is one of many.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #37
bingoTE50
Steve

Not a lot of incentive for juniors who love the game seeing a guy get signed for good coin who has never played the game .Sheedy could have put a lot of quality kids on scholarships and possibly unearthed one or two Folaus,a Ablett,a Sherman, another Voss and maybe a Judd . As many kids who make it, the ones who don't are probably tenfold more, due to differing reasons ,but we will never no because of these of type decisions. Ridiculous...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #38
rodderz

NRL needs to seriously overhaul there salary cap if they are to keep big name players and keep the integrity of the game. How many players have also left to play overseas to get bigger pay packets?

If gallop reckons his game is huge he needs to allow it to be rather than trying to be the school headmaster be all high and mighty. Perhaps they should introduce a payment policy where player's salary goes up the longer they stay with a club, try and keep some loyalty there.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Perhaps they should introduce a payment policy where player's salary goes up the longer they stay with a club, try and keep some loyalty there.

this was brought up a few years ago. i forget who, but there was a push to get a 'rebate' system for players who had been at a club for 5 years or more. it went up every year after 5 years and allows clubs to hang on to their stars. i forget the exact details but it didn't get through anyway. it got brought up again in the aftermath of the recent storm scandal.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #40
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this was brought up a few years ago. i forget who, but there was a push to get a 'rebate' system for players who had been at a club for 5 years or more. it went up every year after 5 years and allows clubs to hang on to their stars. i forget the exact details but it didn't get through anyway. it got brought up again in the aftermath of the recent storm scandal.
there is a rule in the NBA salary cap giving exceptions to players who have been at an organisation for 10yrs. it was brought in so Larry Bird didnt have to leave the Celtics in the 80s. its referred to as the "Larry Bird rule". they also have a "veterans minimum", "mid level exception" and a few other exceptions and it all seems to work fine.

i believe NRL clubs should be privately owned, if the owner cant afford to be competitive then its time to sell up and move on.

2 things for NRL fans to remember when having a whinge about rival codes "poaching" our talent:
1) league was founded as a breakaway comp to pay the rugby players to play.
and 2) try to remember the 80s when players like Mick O'Conner, Ricky Stuart, the Ellas, Ray Price, Wally Lewis, John Simon, Mathew Ridge, etc were all poached from rugby union for top dollar. not all of them played union at the senior level, but they played union as juniors

so arent we really just getting a taste of our own medicine?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #41
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

another thing to prove sports players simply get to much in the first place... and stop calling them heroes for goodness sake!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #42
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If I was an AFL player, I'd be a little peeved that some guy can come from the NRL and automatically claim a much higher salary than me without one ounce of proof he's actually capable of playing the game.
Exactly! Especially if you are a talented youngster who saw the new AFL team as you chance to make it, then an NRL show pony comes along and takes your spot.. The whole thing is a bit absurd.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #43
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Both defectors Hunt and Isa have been lured to NEW clubs. IMHO the ability of both to play top AFL is a moot point to both clubs.

It is exposure they want and need. Throw a million a year at it, get a mention in the news once a week, cheaper than producing a series of TV commercials blowing your own horn.

Remember when big Dell went to ARU. Highest contracted player to the ARU and he couldn't even kick the ball. Didn't matter, marketing genius. Ticket sales to REDs and Australia games well covered the outlay.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #44
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Both defectors Hunt and Isa have been lured to NEW clubs. IMHO the ability of both to play top AFL is a moot point to both clubs.

It is exposure they want and need. Throw a million a year at it, get a mention in the news once a week, cheaper than producing a series of TV commercials blowing your own horn.

Remember when big Dell went to ARU. Highest contracted player to the ARU and he couldn't even kick the ball. Didn't matter, marketing genius. Ticket sales to REDs and Australia games well covered the outlay.
We have a winner!!

Look at who the coach of GWS is, none other than the great man himself Kevin Sheedy. The same Sheedy who was a brilliant marketer of Essendon and the AFL in general, was the first to realize that there was great potential in indigenous players, the first to bring a Muslim player in and the first to look overseas regularly for players. The bloke knows exactly what he is doing, he is one of the biggest reasons the AFL today is what it is.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #45
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I heard this on the radio, my first responce was... HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I foresee a future of hurting AFL players.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #46
BOSHOG
avenge me

i also wonder if a Queenslander will lure crowds to games in Western Sydney, surely they wouldve been better off chasing someone from NSW
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #47
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I just hope for his sake he does well, otherwise all the hype and the ridiculous amount they are paying him would have been a waste!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #48
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
i also wonder if a Queenslander will lure crowds to games in Western Sydney, surely they wouldve been better off chasing someone from NSW
According to NSW papers, he is from NSW. What makes that intersting is under AFL rules if he was to be selected in a State side he would be a NSW player not a Queenslander. Seems they might be building up to their own series in the next 2-3 years I think.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #49
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
According to NSW papers, he is from NSW. What makes that intersting is under AFL rules if he was to be selected in a State side he would be a NSW player not a Queenslander. Seems they might be building up to their own series in the next 2-3 years I think.
yeah i read that too, however i think he'll always be seen as a QLDer now.

Greg Inglis also went to high school in newcastle (Hunter Sports High)
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #50
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can someone explain why Rugby is called football ??? In todays paper it says "Folau has only had 10 kicks in 90 games of NRL" AND ITS CALLED FOOTBALL!!! throwball or runball is more appropriate. I am from Queensland and I have always supported the AFL, never could understand the neanderthal rugby. Good luck to Carmichael and Israel, be a change to see them playing REAL football.But each to their own...
Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #51
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Can someone explain why Rugby is called football ??? In todays paper it says "Folau has only had 10 kicks in 90 games of NRL" AND ITS CALLED FOOTBALL!!! throwball or runball is more appropriate. ..
It once was the same game... Ie someone picked up a round soccer ball and started to run with it..

"After the formation of Association Football (where we get the term soccer), Rugby teams could not agree to the new standardised rules, and it is here that the sports went their separate ways. And while many Union's around the world have no association with football/soccer, they remain faithful to the sport's origin by retaining the 'Football' in their name (Rugby Football Union)."

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #52
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Jimmy Bartel's behind after the siren...ask the crowd if they cared. I certainly did, and it was a sweet behind!
That's another thing.. they should wear baggier shorts.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #53
JazManXII
Starter Motor

i dont see how this move would upset the youth of AFL as there are more possibilities for players to get drafted with there being 2 new teams, thats 40 more players needed
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #54
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
NRL, where there's more people on the field than in the crowd.
That is the comeback of the year - ripper!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's another thing.. they should wear baggier shorts.
Haha...nice pickup.
But his best feature is probably his legs.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #56
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Care factor = zero! Sorry. No one in my opinion is worth the money that this guy signed on the dotted line for. All that money for just a game! Why can Israel donate $1 million dollars of that nest age to the RTA to fix the roads here in Newcastle? Seriously though, where does all this cabbage come from? Sponsers or something?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #57
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
NRL, where there's more people on the field than in the crowd.
Actually, the record for a rugby league crowd is 109,600 odd at the 1999 Grand Final. I should know as I was there
but I don't really want to talk about it as my team lost....
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #58
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndec
Actually, the record for a rugby league crowd is 109,600 odd at the 1999 Grand Final. I should know as I was there
Thats a one off...every match day,,the AFL gets bigger crowds than the NRL.
Lions get more bums on seats than the Bronco's.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #59
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndec
That is amazing, considering it was Melbourne's first Grand FInal (in their second year of existence)...

The record in the AFL is the 1970 Grand Final (considered by many as the best ever) in front of a crowd of 121,696. That is back in the days of standing room. It was also Carlton v Collingwood.

St George are on top this year John. A chance you may be.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #60
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a west Aussy like many others of us I know nothing about NRL, I thought the headline was abaout : ISRAEL TO FOLLOW AFL - I thought AFL was goign to be big in Israel

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post