Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #31
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

That's a one tonner, totally different class of ute, I'm comparing the VE ute with the FG Styleside as it's a direct competitor.

Holden obviously didn't find much of a market with the 1300kg VZ one tonne ute they sold. That or it was a matter of viability due to different parts being required (they were broke).

But your comparing apples with oranges.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

the leaf sprung rear end will take a LOT more punishment, regardless of the figure in the brochure.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
That's a one tonner, totally different class of ute, I'm comparing the VE ute with the FG Styleside as it's a direct competitor.

Holden obviously didn't find much of a market with the 1300kg VZ one tonne ute they sold. That or it was a matter of viability due to different parts being required (they were broke).

But your comparing apples with oranges.

Stoney!
The option is there for the customer. (also side style box has a one ton rating).

I still see the Falcons being used for the heavy stuff.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #34
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, it's just another example of a one eyed arguement, and to chuck a cat amongst the pigeons..... It's actually more.

Ute payloads:-
FG ute:775
Omega ute (man/auto):775/794
XR6 ute:585
SV6 ute (man/auto):634/633
XR8 ute:540
SS ute (man/auto):617/597

Stoney!
Can I ask wher you ot those figures. I have been trying to get payload capacity on my SS but Holden don't publish it in the brochures. You have go through calculating GVM, minus kerb weight, minus driver weight, minus alloy wheel weight, minus last nights dinner, etc. I just guessed it to be around the 500 odd kilos.

Very surprising as I would have expected the Ford to have the greater carrying capacity, and as a fulltime ute driver, I do prefer leafs. I think the Ford is better suited to work. I also loaded about 500kilos into the rear of my SS the second day I had it, and it did handle it quite well. I would just feel more comfortable with the Ford.

As for 1 tonners, they are completley different. they handle, drive and ride differentley. But I will say that my BFII 1 tonner Drove damn well for a 1 tonne ute. The Ford 1 tonner is leaps and bounds ahead in comfort and handling compared to any other 1 tonne ute.

I am not sure about the current base styleside ute, but past models 1 tonne suspension in the Falcon styleside ute was an extra $495 option. There was a noticable difference in handling between an XL 1 tonner, and an XL styleside without 1 tonne suspension.

Hope that sheds a little more light on the ute subject.

Oh, BTW my old BA stylside ute was much more comfortable and handled so much better than my then new VYII Berlina Wagon. I had loaded more than 900 kgs in it and that was without 1 tonne suspension.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Load ratings are affected by the tyres fitted as well as what the driveline, suspension and chassis can handle.

The lower ratings of XR compared to SS could be nothing more than a lower load rated tyre fitted to the XR. One tonners have the heavy duty Cargo tyres fitted which have a very high load rating.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Ivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeXB
A 1 tonner optioned XR6 chassis cab has a payload capacity of 1240kg.
Technically speaking that isn't a ute.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #37
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I love how every non ute driver likes to bag the Holdens paylod capacity. Its not much different to XR8 or Pursuit.

How many AU-BFII ute owners have the wonderful non-retracting seatbelt option?

This is a major safety issue and has never been recalled, nor has it been rectified in any upgrades. Funnily enough, they have a specific procedure for the warranty claim. The first time it presents, they clean the seatbelt. The second time, they will replace it.

Both brands have the good points and bad points.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Pretty sure the first time they clean it under warranty as a good will gesture after that the customer is charged... there isn't anything wrong with the belts themselves, the upper guides just get dirtier when they're fitted to trade vehicles, driven by dirty tradesmen...like myself, although you'll find the clearance in the upper guide is much larger on an FG
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #38
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
Pretty sure the first time they clean it under warranty as a good will gesture after that the customer is charged... there isn't anything wrong with the belts themselves, the upper guides just get dirtier when they're fitted to trade vehicles, driven by dirty tradesmen...like myself, although you'll find the clearance in the upper guide is much larger on an FG
7 years and atleast 7-8 belts, never got charged once.

Your right though, it was predominately the utes. It's about time the fault was rectified. I'm sure they knew about since AU.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #39
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
7 years and atleast 7-8 belts, never got charged once.

Your right though, it was predominately the utes. It's about time the fault was rectified. I'm sure they knew about since AU.
I have the issue with my 98 el sedan

i should have alook at cleaning it ( oh and it is only the drivers belt ) as i am/was a trady and have to admit it is a bit dirty

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #40
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, it's just another example of a one eyed arguement, and to chuck a cat amongst the pigeons..... It's actually more.

Ute payloads:-
FG ute:775
Omega ute (man/auto):775/794
XR6 ute:585
SV6 ute (man/auto):634/633
XR8 ute:540
SS ute (man/auto):617/597

Stoney!
O/T: Last time I checked the most a VE ute could *TOW* was 1600kg, compared to 2300kg for the Falcon. Big difference. Maybe thats why the tailgates pop open; the ***-end of the VEs is being distorted by people trying to tow something more than a 6x4 trailer?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #41
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
O/T: Last time I checked the most a VE ute could *TOW* was 1600kg, compared to 2300kg for the Falcon. Big difference. Maybe thats why the tailgates pop open; the ***-end of the VEs is being distorted by people trying to tow something more than a 6x4 trailer?
The max is 2.1 tonne rating. I think the VE platform will handle a high weight no problems. It is an incredibly stiff and heavy chassis, a bit over-engineered as it was designed to also accomodate a full size 4wd down the track if one was to be developed.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #42
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Maybe thats why the tailgates pop open; the ***-end of the VEs is being distorted by people trying to tow something more than a 6x4 trailer?
no, they were being popped open by internal force: ie, loose cargo.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Holden recalls VE Ute

Quote:
Tailgate glitch forces Holden to recall 34,432 current-model utes
12 July 2010
By RON HAMMERTON
GM HOLDEN has recalled 34,432 current-model VE Holden Utes to fix tailgates that can be jarred open if hit from the inside with sufficient force by an unsecured load.

In the biggest recall by any manufacturer in Australia this year, Holden is writing to owners of all of its Commodore-based workhorses built since the model was launched in October 2007, asking them to return their vehicle to their Holden dealer to have the tailgate latch fixed.

Holden says the “precautionary” recall follows recent incidents involving two customer vehicles.

Holden warranty engineering, customer satisfaction and quality director Craig Porritt said the likelihood of a tailgate becoming unlatched was low.

“But we will always err on the side of caution and administer a recall to ensure customer satisfaction and safety,” he said.

“Until the fix can be made to each vehicle, we ask our customers to continue to secure loose items in the cargo tray as recommended in the owner’s manual and use a Holden tonneau cover where possible to prevent the condition from occurring.

“If a vehicle does not have a tonneau cover, we recommend owners do not load items against the tailgate until the fix has been made.

“We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.”

While Holden has asked owners to contact their dealer to have the repair done, it has cautioned that timing will be subject to parts availability.

Utes affected by the recall are in the following vehicle identification number (VIN) ranges: 6G1E#42###L100048 - 6G1E#42###L458251; 6G1E#42###L923162 - 6G1E#42###L983869.

Meanwhile, the Holden-made Daewoo Veritas – an export version of the Statesman for South Korea – has been caught up in GM’s recall of vehicles fitted with windscreen washer heating units that can short-circuit and catch fire.

However, the recall does not affect the Statesman and Caprice models sold in Australia, as they are not fitted with the faulty heater units that were fitted only to vehicles sold in cold climates where icing is a problem.

About 1300 Veritas luxury cars sold in Korea included in 1.5 million 2007-2009 GM vehicles recalled for the problem, mainly in North America.

As the US component company that supplied the units, Microheat, has gone bankrupt and closed, GM is simply removing the faulty units and paying compensation to owners.

GM tried to fix the problem in 2008 by having dealers install a fuse in the washer module’s wiring, but after five fires in cars in North America, the company decided to remove the units altogether.

Holden’s statement on the Veritas recall, however, does not refer to fires, saying: “In some circumstances, it is possible for the heated washer module to cause a thermal event.”

The Vertias is one of four GM models affected by the recall in South Korea, the others being Cadillacs – the CTS, DTS and Escalade.

Owners are to get 120,000 won ($A114) compensation.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #44
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And exactly which Falcon ute can tow 2300kgs????

A Manual I6 BA-BF can only tow 1200kg. An auto will tow 1600kgs braked.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Holden-made Daewoo Veritas – an export version of the Statesman for South Korea – has been caught up in GM’s recall of vehicles fitted with windscreen washer heating units that can short-circuit and catch fire.

However, the recall does not affect the Statesman and Caprice models sold in Australia, as they are not fitted with the faulty heater units that were fitted only to vehicles sold in cold climates where icing is a problem.

About 1300 Veritas luxury cars sold in Korea included in 1.5 million 2007-2009 GM vehicles recalled for the problem, mainly in North America.
About time we sent some crappy products their way.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:

Fitted with a heavy duty tow bar the auto can.

Quote:
Maximum Braked Towing Capacity (Subject to State & Territory regulations)
Manual Automatic
Falcon Ute Cab Chassis 1200kg 2300kg
Falcon Ute Styleside Box 1200kg 2300kg
Falcon R6 Cab Chassis Ute 1200kg 2300kg
Falcon R6 Styleside Box Ute 1200kg 2300kg
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #46
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Fitted with a heavy duty tow bar the auto can.
Quote:
Maximum Braked Towing Capacity (Subject to State & Territory regulations)

Manual Automatic
Falcon Ute Cab Chassis 1200kg 2300kg
Falcon Ute Styleside Box 1200kg 2300kg
Falcon R6 Cab Chassis Ute 1200kg 2300kg
Falcon R6 Styleside Box Ute 1200kg 2300kg
I apologise. have bought 2 new utes (1 BA, ! BFII) and never noticed there was a HD towing option on the auto. In my defence, I only by manuals and have never had a need to tow in the past.

I did notice the 1200kg limit for manuals sticker in the glove box though.

Thats what I like about this place. If you have a question, the answer is never too far away.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My FG tows 2300 kgs easy... bit heavy on the fuel tho lol!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #48
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah, revenge!!! :hrod