Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #31
BrisVegas
Noobie

I was gonna say Territory 7 seater, but that's already been covered. I'm in the processing of buying the previous shape Pajero 3.2 DID as it can take 4-5 kids in the back. The NP model 2003-2006(?) had decent 3rd row headrest and you'd find a low mileage diesel under $25k.

My 2 kids are in boosters/kid seats and will be for a few more years yet. Every now and then it'd be handy to take another couple of carseats so we can take cousins or neighbourhood friends with us. Not an option in our Fiesta!

If you look around most schools you'll see lots of Territory/Prado/Pajero. They must do the job ok.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #32
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Country Squire Wagon .. 9 seater .. it's a classic!!

.. and probably doesn't even have seatbelts so no need to worry about pesky tiedowns and the like ;)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a Mini bus
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #34
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Friends of ours has a ford transit

2 in car seats 3 in booster seats 4 in normal seats

soon to be 3 in car seats

the only issue they have with it is they cant park in shopping centre underground car parks

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #35
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Landcruiser, Prado, Delica, Patrol, pajero, tarago, Imax I think all will fit at least 7. To be honest the new Hyundai Imax seams like a good people hauler, probably not the coolest or best quality thing around but its low to the ground, its big, comes in turbo diesel auto and its cheap (like 42K brand new top of range). Doesnt quite fit your 25k budget but you might be a ble to find a used one around that mark.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big tip is to really ask yourself whether or not you want a 4wd. They are such a compromised vehicle for day-to-day life and are very expensive to run. The one time you need a 4wd a year go down to Avis and get a brand new Patrol for 90 bucks a day.

My pick is the Territory, a people mover would probably be more practical but Territory truly is car-like to drive and pretty much bulletproof apart from a few minor issues.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #37
Scott

I'd back a Kia for all-round livability. I hire them pretty regularly to use at conferences and I am yet to find a better people mover. The go like stink, you can pretty much walk through them, get from the front seats to the back without getting out and still find space for cargo.

If I had 3 or more kids, I'd be in one..... well, the wife would anyway ;)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
Dave3911

'05 R51 Pathfinder would be my pick for that money.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Not sure how many people are actually reading my OP or not...

The dilema is in fitting the child seats/restraints... in a logical manner that WORKS...

IE: Not sure I will be able to fold down the 2nd row seat (in order to get access to 3rd row seat) in a Territory - when I have 2 x child capsules fitted to the 2nd row seat...

It seems to me that this is going to be an issue in ANY 7 seater 4wd/SUV...

Which makes the Vans - ppl movers look like a better option...
Though - not my preferred option... (i really didn't want a VAN...)
Old 20-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

Which makes the Vans - ppl movers look like a better option...
Though - not my preferred option... (i really didn't want a VAN...)
my brother has 4 kids under 7, and has a tarago. its the first of the newer shape and we bought it in qld and drove it home to adelaide. this was the first time i'd been in a van since my own childhood and i have to admit, it drove very well. tarago's are actually lighter than a falcon by a bit of a margin i think. you aren't sitting on top of the front wheels either so the ride is pretty much the same as a sedan.

he has a 4cyl one and round town here in adelaide it achieves 10L/100m which is pretty impressive. a 6cyl one would be thirstier but would give pretty decent performance for what it is.

its not the path many people want to go (owning/driving a van) but it isn't as bad as what it seems.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My sister has 3 kids in boosters/capsules and has a Chrysler voyager. She has one seat removed in the second row on the passenger side (to allow easy access to the rear) with a child seats in the back row and one in the 2nd behind the driver. I would have to check to see if she would be able to fit a 4th next to the one behind the driver.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #42
rocket67

Another vote for Tarago.

My son bought one about 3 years ago for his wife.2005 Model. Paid about $19K. Klm were pretty high, about 180,000. It has not missed a beat, and is easy to load the kids in the back.

Took it for a trip about 500klm away, and found that it comfortably sits around 120, with power to overtake. Enjoyed driving it.

Check this one out - Pickles is your friend

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...otid-103157185

others here

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/listi...TION&x=28&y=15

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #43
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
he has a 4cyl one and round town here in adelaide it achieves 10L/100m which is pretty impressive.
I'll say.... roughly the equivalent of a fully laden 747.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #44
Cooper69S

The bloke who used to to my job (he's just left so it's been my job for about an hour ) has 4 kids and they bought a Grand Voyager which his wife loves - something about a centre aisle so you don't have to fold seats down to get through to the back...
Its end-of-lease now so he's on the lookout for something else. When I suggested Territory he said that the biggest problem (that I haven't seen mentioned here) is that a 7 seat Terry with all the seats up will have precious little space behind the back seats. If you've got a pram it won't leave much room for shopping, and a roof pod on top of a terri isn't going to be very convenient for most people.
He was starting to eye off late model Chev Suburbans (ie what most of the cops on american tv shows drive) but it seems that they're up around $80-90k for rhd converted ones. Even the new Grand Voyager is pretty pricey. his old one's pretty comfortable though...
Like prydey said, our bro bought a Tarago (passed on the territory for the same reason my ex-boss did) and found it much better than you might expect. to give you decent amount of room for yourselves AND your stuff a van (carnival/tarago/voyager) might be the most convenient option
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #45
GT-E

I have a mate that has a Nissan Elgrand.
Pimp looking Jap import that seats 8, can have 6 baby seats.
Old 20-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #46
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I have a mate that has a Nissan Elgrand.
Pimp looking Jap import that seats 8, can have 6 baby seats.
how cool do they look

my wife and i will look at one like that if we ever have another child

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post