Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #31
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I have finished, I pull it out and spray it all over the windscreen.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
When I have finished, I pull it out and spray it all over the windscreen.
I do like they did on Point Break and bust out my ciggie lighter and turn the nozzle and hose into a flamethrower.

EDIT: I've just gotten the cryptic analogy in your post. Hahahaha.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Best way to save at the bowser is to fill up and just drive off.
pro tip: swap number plates with a random car parked nearby first
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #34
WMD351
Size it up

If you really need to try all of the above then I'd suggest you just get a horse.
As for the price part, what happened to Rudd's "petrol baron"? Probably on a study trip checking out how they price gas on the French riviera.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #35
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Best way to save at the bowser is to fill up and just drive off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Yep. Then a week later you get a knock on the door from two big burly blokes in blue uniforms... Then you still have to pay it... Thanks for endorsing the actions (even if it is a joke) that makes me have to fill out reports rather than do my shift duties.. Thats not a joke.... I hate more paperwork

i thought it was funny...

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #36
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Tips on Filling your Vehicles…

Fill up your car or bike in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
Service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... Your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role.

A 1 degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up, do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.
In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

Of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is half full. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks, when you stop to buy, do not fill up - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Cheers
H
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the one about filling up in the morning....... it sounds feasable, but the tanks are buried well underground in most places , its hard to imagine the tempreture of the fuel changeing that much that it would make a difference, perhaps with above ground lpg tanks it might make some difference.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
the one about filling up in the morning....... it sounds feasable, but the tanks are buried well underground in most places , its hard to imagine the tempreture of the fuel changeing that much that it would make a difference, perhaps with above ground lpg tanks it might make some difference.
Even if, with modern dispensers or pumps (yes there is a difference) which have the ability to account for temperature and product density variations, you were able to sneak out a bit more petrol in early mornings than at midday, the amount you would get would be measured in millilitres, not litres. As I said earlier, the metering devices in dispensers (see, I used that word again) release an amount of fuel according to how the dispenser is calibrated. This calibration is subject to government testing in most jurisdictions to make sure you get a litre when you expect a litre.

7 1/2 years in the petroleum industry in operations and retail I have heard a lot of industry old wives tales and this one is as old as the rest of them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Does anyone hold the ol BP Ultimate in high regards? as opposed to normal run of the mill Premium?

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #40
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Bp ultimate was just about all I ever used in my xr6. It was great.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #41
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
Tips on Filling your Vehicles…

When you're filling up, do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.
In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
I'd like to know where you got this one from, a vapour sucking return line would quickly turn into a liquid sucking return line. The authorities would not take kindly to that kind of practice
The "vapours created" are only going to have more time to escape as you proceed to take three years to fill your tank at snails pace.
Old 30-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #42
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
I'd like to know where you got this one from, a vapour sucking return line would quickly turn into a liquid sucking return line. The authorities would not take kindly to that kind of practice
The "vapours created" are only going to have more time to escape as you proceed to take three years to fill your tank at snails pace.
Nice pick up.
I had old email at work regarding some tips about Filling up Petrol, i got that
point from there. I included it to check for validity of it in Aus as he was reffering of this practice happening in different country. I knew someone would question it.

Cheers
H
Old 30-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #43
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVto10
Bring back driveway service!
a couple months ago i was in Goulburn (NSW) and one of their stations had an attendant filling up the cars. i didn't even have to get out of the car as he ran in and got my change. it's a good way to give the station differentiation from all the others. i'll bet a lot of older drivers go there.

Quote:
Yeah Ford has already addressed that, it's a task to use high flow in the falcon.... buzzt, click... buzzt, click... buzzt, click...
Old 30-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #44
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
Of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is half full. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
The floating roof is to keep the storage facility safe. It cant burn/explode if there is no oxygen.
Old 30-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #45
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehehehe.. What a funny topic.. I think we need to rename it "tight **** tips"!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
hehehehe.. What a funny topic.. I think we need to rename it "tight **** tips"!!
There is already a whole forum devoted to that.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=71
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #47
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

After you fill up keep your eye on the other browsers. If someone fills up less then yours, say that number when you pay.

If they catch on, "oh sorry I read the wrong number"
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
After you fill up keep your eye on the other browsers. If someone fills up less then yours, say that number when you pay.

If they catch on, "oh sorry I read the wrong number"
Hey great idea, I just rang a friend to tell him about it. He seemed very interested and wanted to know all about you. It was strange though, his voice sounded different and when he answered the phone he said "Crime Stoppers" which is not his name.

oh sorry I dialed the wrong number.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #49
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #50
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=flappist]There is already a whole forum devoted to that.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=71[

Made me laugh........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #51
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Hey great idea, I just rang a friend to tell him about it. He seemed very interested and wanted to know all about you. It was strange though, his voice sounded different and when he answered the phone he said "Crime Stoppers" which is not his name.

That is GOLD ..

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #52
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Err sorry, where's the similar thread??? Or are you calling us LPG users tight ****'s? Or is that jealousy? Haha.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #53
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Good posts Flappist.....
Old 30-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #54
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

If you're that much of a Fuel Miser... don't drive...
Old 30-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #55
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Err sorry, where's the similar thread??? Or are you calling us LPG users tight ****'s? Or is that jealousy? Haha.
Flappist is a well-known bigot when it comes to LPG
Old 30-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #56
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

hahah well played Sir, that did make me laugh
Old 30-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #57
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:

Did you? WOW.
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #58
ryanstev

My best tip, hopefully someone hasn't mentioned, is if you get a discount for buying something in the store (here Mobil gives a 4c discount per litre if you spend $4 inside) bring some jerry cans and fill them. I can spend $4 in store and get a $3.20 discount on petrol, if I buy something I actually need, such as milk, it's almost free, not just an impulse buy.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #59
global88
HKS GTR

The best fuel saving tip i have is leave the car home and walk, you probably need the exercise anyway.

Fuel is known to be more dense when cooler, temperature plays a part in the amount of fuel that goes into your tank, its a well known and documented fact.

Honestly, who really cares about 5 cents difference to the tank?
global88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #60
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

The book is called Pumped, apparently an Aussie book.

Thanks for the comments on the tips / myths, everyone. It's been interesting to find out about it so we know what not to bother with. It's good to have it discussed.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post