Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation The Stig' plans rival Top Gear show

The Stig' plans rival Top Gear show
Stephen Ottley
September 30, 2010 - 5:59PM

Ben Collins formerly known as the Stig, is planning to start his own show to rival Top Gear.
The Stig is set to go head-to-head with his former colleagues at Top Gear. Ben Collins, recently unveiled as the driver behind the white helmet of the popular British TV program's anonymous racing driver, is in talks to star in his own TV show.

Collins left Top Gear earlier this year after revealing he would write a book about his time as The Stig. He says he is now focused on becoming a TV presenter and is in talks with several networks in the UK. He has told the media that his plan for the show would involve more elaborate and dangerous stunts.

"I'm going to be concentrating on television and I've got some exciting projects coming up," Collins told UK media.

"Presenting is what I'd like to get into. There were many ideas that I've had on Top Gear that they thought were too crazy and hopefully now I can get away with as a free agent."

Collins is no stranger to stunt driving. During his time as The Stig he also worked on the James Bond film Quantum of Solace.

"I'd love to do some stunts and having worked in the film industry with stunt professionals I have huge respect for what they do," he said.

Collins has also revealed his relief at not having to maintain his double-life. He reveals in his book 'The Man in the White Suit' the lengths he went to hiding his role as The Stig which included lying to friends and family.

"Over the last 18 months there were more and more rumours that I was The Stig," Collins told The Sun. "The end was nigh, so for that pressure to come off is fantastic.

"The great thing is that I can talk about my past without worrying.

"You don't realise how precious freedom of speech is until someone tries to take it away from you."

In addition to his TV aspirations Collins also admits he wants to write more books; including works of fiction.

He will also get back to his professional racing career and compete in the final round of this year's British Touring Car Championship.