Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just booked mine in for tomorrow morning at Prestige Sunroofs to have it fixed.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #32
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Stratos 700 series Glass Parted way with my old mans BA XR6 today
Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #33
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
Just booked mine in for tomorrow morning at Prestige Sunroofs to have it fixed.
How did you go ? ....all OK.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Stratos 700 series Glass Parted way with my old mans BA XR6 today
- No damage to the car or anyone else ?

This is a Global recall and apparently there have been issues for years regarding this. I imagine after this - anyone getting a sunroof fitted will be paying even more whilst Webasto try and recoup their losses.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #35
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

This is a Global recall and apparently there have been issues for years regarding this. I imagine after this - anyone getting a sunroof fitted will be paying even more whilst Webasto try and recoup their losses.

So if your car already has a sunroof it will comand a better price on the second hand market than a similar car without. Fantastic !

You'd think something like this would send them broke. The 700 is their most common fitment and if everything between 2002 and 2009 needs to be replaced thats a helluva lot of sunroofs worldwide in that timeframe.

Mine's booked in for next Tuesday morning
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #36
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
So if your car already has a sunroof it will comand a better price on the second hand market than a similar car without. Fantastic !

orning
Dunno about that....people may be steering clear of anything with a sunroof until this is sorted.

Now I've got a dodgy Sunroof and dodgy paint ( SHOCKWAVE ).......
What next ?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
KITBAG

just watched a car go into Custom Sunroofs to have his glass replaced and it took the bloke 15minutes to replace it pretty much drive in drive out.
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #38
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

I rang my Ford dealer the other day to ask them about the recall, they didn't know much about it and when I asked how long it would take they said 2 days as they had to measure up the glass and get the correct one. Apparently there was 3 different size glass panels fitted. I asked them if the head lining needed to be removed to do the job or not and they said "I don't know, yours will be the first one we have done." I have rung up Prestige Sunroofs and they told me that it is a 45 minute job. I'm sorry Ford, I won't be needing your help with this.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #39
redxr8

rang ford in wagga asking about if my car was in the recall and they told me they didnt know much about it only what saw in the paper. then told i had to wate till i got a letter from ford. not real happy about that hope it doesn't come out in mean time as mine is early car
redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #40
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

happened to my uncles au2 ghia last year as well so dont think its limited to ba
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #41
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
How did you go ? ....all OK.
Yep all done. Prestige Sunroofs Burwood installed new glass and frame, I just dropped it off on my way to work and picked it up during lunch.

Don't bother mucking around by getting Ford to do it, my replacement was hassle and stress free!

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

Info to come soon!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #42
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

No thank god there was no damage or injuries. Apparently it scared the crap out of my old man though.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #43
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Just got mine done and a service as well.

What I noticed was that the old glass had a rubber seal surround.
The new Glass now has a felt type seal surround ???

I asked the Installer and apparently there were some minor issues with the old rubber type seal where it would crush and allow some movement. The felt type seal does not do this and is a better option. ( I wonder if this is true or whether its a cheaper option for Webasto ?? )

Anyone else had their glass replaced recently........what seal did you end up with. Is it the felt or the rubber type.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #44
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Just got mine done and a service as well.

What I noticed was that the old glass had a rubber seal surround.
The new Glass now has a felt type seal surround ???

I asked the Installer and apparently there were some minor issues with the old rubber type seal where it would crush and allow some movement. The felt type seal does not do this and is a better option. ( I wonder if this is true or whether its a cheaper option for Webasto ?? )

Anyone else had their glass replaced recently........what seal did you end up with. Is it the felt or the rubber type.
I had my sunroof serviced May last year because I noticed it was making a wind noise when it was closed cruising at 110 on the freeway..

They replaced the old rubber seal with the felt one and it's been OK since. The bloke said the felt one was an improvement on the rubber one
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #45
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just rang Custom Sunroofs to book mine in and was told that if it was not installed aftermarket then i would have to go through Ford, which based on what is said here is not what i want to do.

To those that have theirs booked in, are your sunroofs factory fitted or aftermarket?
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #46
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I had my sunroof serviced May last year because I noticed it was making a wind noise when it was closed cruising at 110 on the freeway..

They replaced the old rubber seal with the felt one and it's been OK since. The bloke said the felt one was an improvement on the rubber one
Yes - that is the reason cited by Webasto as well. The Rubber seal does not stand up to our Aussie Summers and it distorts over time and shrinks. It also suffers from crush memory when the roof closes and it gets squashed.

When it shrinks and distorts - it can then allow air in at high speed which can cause a certain amount of wind noise. Webasto no longer do the rubber seals due to the number of issues they had with them in Australia.

By the way - rep points to the OP for flagging this issue and allowing us to get in early before it gets hectic with the replacements.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #47
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
To those that have theirs booked in, are your sunroofs factory fitted or aftermarket?
Mine was ordered with the car by the original owner.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE

Info to come soon!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #48
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just rang Custom Sunroofs to book mine in and was told that if it was not installed aftermarket then i would have to go through Ford, which based on what is said here is not what i want to do.

AFTERMARKET

Old 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #49
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Mine was fitted by the dealer before I collected the car. They sent the car down to Prestige SUNROODS to get it fitted and all my purchase paperwork / books etc have the SUNROOF stated on them.

Based on this - I went direct to PRESTIGE and had it done. Was completed today - they even chucked in the regular service on the rest of the roof. Took about 45 mins all up.......she's good to go now........and with the new felt seal - it is much quieter as well ( read less wind noise ). BONUS

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #50
PrestigeSunroof
Starter Motor

Default Sunroof Recall

Hey Everyone,

My name is Paul and I am the owner of Prestige Sunroofs in Melbourne.

I read all the comments made here and agree with many of them. Whether it be Prestige Sunroofs, The Sunroof Centre or Custom Sunroofs, we all have a vested interest in making sunroofs the true vehicle enhancement they can be.

The first thing to do is check your serial number on the sunroof. The second is identifying whether it is HSV,HBD,Tickford, FPV, Holden On-line or fitted by an aftermarket company like us. Usually we will place a sticker on the wind deflector or you will find documentation in the car that may reveal the origin.

If you have an aftermarket roof that is within the range for recall, then you can come directly to us. If you have a "factory" sunroof then you are supposed to go to your Vehicle dealer UNLESS the sunroof is not operating. Only when the sunroof is not functioning correctly are you able to bring the "factory" roofs to us. Read into this what you will.

We take 45 minutes to do the recall but an appointment is neccesary. I might also add that the dealers are struggling with doing this correctly, how do I know.....? because they keep ringing for help!

Any questions please drop us a line, cheers, Paul.
PrestigeSunroof is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #51
HSE2

Thanks very much for this Paul. Very good of you. Not sure what I will be doing down here in Tassie but its sure to be comical.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #52
PrestigeSunroof
Starter Motor

Not really, See Nick at Supertrim in Hobart, oh and your sunroof isn't working right!
Old 14-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #53
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks to all those who responded, my sunroof was factory (FPV) fitted but it stopped working a few days ago (does not open fully) so was accepted for repair by Custom Sunroofs, which confirms what Paul said.

BTW Custom Sunroofs are great to deal with. I would not let any Ford Dealer touch my sunroof (let alone the rest of the car).
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #54
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeSunroof
Hey Everyone,

My name is Paul and I am the owner of Prestige Sunroofs in Melbourne.

I read all the comments made here and agree with many of them. Whether it be Prestige Sunroofs, The Sunroof Centre or Custom Sunroofs, we all have a vested interest in making sunroofs the true vehicle enhancement they can be.

The first thing to do is check your serial number on the sunroof. The second is identifying whether it is HSV,HBD,Tickford, FPV, Holden On-line or fitted by an aftermarket company like us. Usually we will place a sticker on the wind deflector or you will find documentation in the car that may reveal the origin.

If you have an aftermarket roof that is within the range for recall, then you can come directly to us. If you have a "factory" sunroof then you are supposed to go to your Vehicle dealer UNLESS the sunroof is not operating. Only when the sunroof is not functioning correctly are you able to bring the "factory" roofs to us. Read into this what you will.

We take 45 minutes to do the recall but an appointment is neccesary. I might also add that the dealers are struggling with doing this correctly, how do I know.....? because they keep ringing for help!

Any questions please drop us a line, cheers, Paul.
Paul

Good to have you on here as a resource.

My glass was replaced by Prestige last week as part of the recall and as I mentioned to the fitter on the day - the new glass now has a FELT seal instead of the old rubber seal.

How is the felt seal supposed to sit on the glass ? Is it supposed to sit flush with the glass when the roof is closed.......that's the way the old rubber seal was. The new felt seal sits below the glass level and the entire seal is now not flush with the car roof ?

I understand that the FELT seal is more durable and does not suffer from the issues the old rubber seal had and consequently does not suffer from the wind noise when at speed.

Anyways - here's a pic of what I'm trying to put into words :

Picture of roof closed showing the felt seal and glass line and roof line

Picture of Glass open showing felt seal line and glass edge line

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 14-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #55
Miss_Aly
Queen Bee

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the work on cruises and the money raised for charity. 

New glass installed today by The Sunroof Centre in Noble Park, Vic.

I DID NOT receive a letter from FORD about the recall, word of mouth is how I found out about the recall & found the info on here.

My sunroof is Ford factory fitted

Here is what I did & you guys should do it & enquire

I firstly rang 'The Webasto Hollandia Customer Service HOTLINE' on 1800 450 755

I was told to take my car to the sunroof centre in Noble Park for replacement. I rang, booked it for today.

I get there and they tell me I should have been sent to Ford for the new sunroof. So they ring Webasto for authorization and their instructions were for them (Sunroof Centre) to fit the glass. So they fitted it, re programmed & checked it over

So just try ringing Webasto first and see what they say before you ring Ford

My 2 cents worth

Miss Aly
Miss_Aly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #56
PrestigeSunroof
Starter Motor

Default Sunroof Felt Seal

Hi ESP,

I can see what you are indicating in the photos. You will notice that the seal is sitting closer to flush at the centre of the roof. Basically what is different here is the curvature of the new glass panel.

We always set the glass panels slightly lower at the front and higher at the rear as this reduces windnoise. What this means is that we have set the glass just high enough to meet this criteria at the centre. Due to the change in curvature of the new panel (slightly less) the sides sit a little higher.

I hope this makes sense. We set the curvature of the roof during the installation to match the original galss panel. It can be reset but it takes a fair rework and involves dropping the headlining down etc.

THE FELT SEAL is a far superior seal to the old rubber one. Tho old rubber one used to shrink. We used to have a felt seal and the only problem with it was the "flock" used to erode. Hopefully lessons have been learnt!

cherrs, Paul

Prestige Sunroofs
11 Harker St,
Burwood, Vic

PH 03 9808 8966
Old 15-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #57
KITBAG

[QUOTE=ESP]Paul

That look's crap,......
glass panel don't line up with roof.............
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #58
HSE2

I tend to agree.
If thats the fix i am not too keen.
Think i will wait on Fords letter.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #59
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeSunroof
Hi ESP,

I can see what you are indicating in the photos. You will notice that the seal is sitting closer to flush at the centre of the roof. Basically what is different here is the curvature of the new glass panel.

We always set the glass panels slightly lower at the front and higher at the rear as this reduces windnoise. What this means is that we have set the glass just high enough to meet this criteria at the centre. Due to the change in curvature of the new panel (slightly less) the sides sit a little higher.

I hope this makes sense. We set the curvature of the roof during the installation to match the original galss panel. It can be reset but it takes a fair rework and involves dropping the headlining down etc.

THE FELT SEAL is a far superior seal to the old rubber one. Tho old rubber one used to shrink. We used to have a felt seal and the only problem with it was the "flock" used to erode. Hopefully lessons have been learnt!

cherrs, Paul

Prestige Sunroofs
11 Harker St,
Burwood, Vic

PH 03 9808 8966
Paul

Thanks again for taking the time to respond
The glass curvature and roof line actually isn't too bad........its almost spot on.

I was more concerned about the positioning of the felt seal on the glass. As you can see from the pic , the felt seal sits below the glass edge , so when the roof is closed , the glass , the felt and the sunroof roof surround do not line up 100%.

I would have thought that the felt seal would have sat higher up so that everything sat a bit more flush. What do you think ??

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 15-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #60
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

[QUOTE=87 XF - AU11]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Paul

That look's crap,......
glass panel don't line up with roof.............
The Glass panel and the roof actually line up OK..the picture has skewed the lines slightly. The issue is more the felt seal not sitting flush with the glass and the roof.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin