Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
herbicide

Default Re: 70 Series Landcruiser to die within 5 years

For the person asking about the 76, it's good enough for me on the road, it's no Euro sports car, but if that's what you expect, you have issues. Overtaking is effortless, especially since I've chucked the 3 inch exhaust on. The torque really comes in handy. I also have the optional front and rear difflocks and they've come in handy too - plus they're cheaper than ARB airlockers. Offroad it's capable too, though I have a Safari snorkel waiting to go onto it as the standard raised air intake is ordinary. Vision is excellent as all corners of the vehicle are easily visible. Post July 2009 build vehicles have driver and passenger airbags standard. As for no abs, I'm happy with that, ever used abs on loose gravel? It's garbage. Yank tanks just fall apart
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #32
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Ranger, BT50, Amorak and now Colorado (and I assume D Max) are all 5 star.
Isn't Colorado Dual cab the only variant 5Star Ancap?
Old 14-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #33
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone got a pic of the dual cab 79?
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #34
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I've had one every day since 81' (8) and they have been worth every cent!

Sorry i must have missed it but how many have you owned again.....?

Sad to see them go but ALL good things come to an end.....remember that!
Never owned one with my own money, but close to 15 years of working in construction and mining. Oh I forgot, I have this little company that over the past 3 years I have owned and run that trains around 700 to 800 people a month for the resource sectot including Rio Tinto, BHP, Chevron and over 170 other resource sector clients. So I think I know a thing or two about 4x4's. Is that enough experience with 4x4's for you or would you rather I built them as well?
Old 14-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #35
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Such a wonderful vehicle. I've owned a 40'and 60 series and they always got me home. My old 60 would have outlasted civilization itself.

Sad day indeed.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #36
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Never owned one with my own money, but close to 15 years of working in construction and mining. Oh I forgot, I have this little company that over the past 3 years I have owned and run that trains around 700 to 800 people a month for the resource sectot including Rio Tinto, BHP, Chevron and over 170 other resource sector clients. So I think I know a thing or two about 4x4's. Is that enough experience with 4x4's for you or would you rather I built them as well?
Obviously not....look, i don't expect everyone to agree with everyone else, but the well documented popularity and success of the vehicle in question clearly indicates that you are in the minority when it comes to judging the price Toyota put on them....

By the way, i started in the mining & construction industry (Tom Price) in 80' and left (Newman) in 94' but that means nothing really, but having owned and maintained my own Landcruisers for 30 years and the countless kilometres i have done in them does, and without a shadow of a doubt they have been the best value for money vehicle i have owned....

And what the hell was with the.......EAT YOUR WORDS SUCKERS!.....strange

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #37
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351

And what the hell was with the.......EAT YOUR WORDS SUCKERS!.....strange
Firstly I never made a claim you didn't know your car. Rather you made the implication because I don't or wouldn't own a 70 series means my opinion is irrelevant and uneducated. If you like your cruiser all the power to you. But as far as I am concerned 70 series are uncomfortable and over priced. Sure they are tough and sure they are an icon from days long gone. But it is my personal and professional opinion that they are over priced for what they are. A very basic work vehicle.

As for my comment, a month or so ago there were those on this very forum who would attack anyone that said that mining companies would ever choose another make over Toyota because of ANCAP. To them I say eat your own words. I have known for some time that it is a fact that they are doing just that.
Old 15-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #38
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Firstly I never made a claim you didn't know your car. Rather you made the implication because I don't or wouldn't own a 70 series means my opinion is irrelevant and uneducated. If you like your cruiser all the power to you. But as far as I am concerned 70 series are uncomfortable and over priced. Sure they are tough and sure they are an icon from days long gone. But it is my personal and professional opinion that they are over priced for what they are. A very basic work vehicle.

As for my comment, a month or so ago there were those on this very forum who would attack anyone that said that mining companies would ever choose another make over Toyota because of ANCAP. To them I say eat your own words. I have known for some time that it is a fact that they are doing just that.
while i agree that landcruiser utes are uncomfortable but for what they are they do the job bloody well!!! there over priced because of there reputaion. i like the crusiers clearance which is bloody handy!! there tested in australia for australian conditions which is another reason why they sell. good work horse. its the same as why alot of old cars are overpriced. because people want them.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Cruisers are "over priced" because there is no proper competition.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ford should import the F-150 in CKD kits and fit it with the Lion 3.6 V8 diesel
That engine is not produced anymore. Ford now builds a 230kw / 700Nm 4.4L V8 diesel in Mexico for the Range Rover. Ford has already tested F-150s and Expeditions with that engine, so I suspect it is ready to to go.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...-4-diesel.html
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #41
excopau

Landcruiser lost its reputation when they put an oil burning 4.5 litre v8 into them, more problems then there worth compared to old 6 cylinder. Now the new age ranger bt 50 colarado and so on are doing more then what the land cruiser can. So it would slowly die because toyota likes doing no change worth while for long time, like there hilux. Yes I have an 2005 factory turbo I own and an 4.5 lite troopie for work, troopie is rubbish compared to the turbo six in many ways especially since they widened front so rear track don't follow.
excopau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by excopau
So it would slowly die because toyota likes doing no chang for long time, like there hilux.
No, actually, not changing it was the success of its survival.
Buyers didnt want it to change, it did what it did how it was - just what people want.
They put the V8 in it to meet current Euro regulations - thats what killed it.
Start making things too complex and it is bound to break down more often - the same thing that will happen to everything else that is going to replace the Cruiser.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #43
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing like a Landcruiser...especially an old 40 series or an old or new 78 series troopie or ute.

You see them tottering about, ancient, battered, and abused, and you can't help but shake your head and think sadly "Look at the poor old thing...it probably only has another two or three hundred thousand k's left in it..."
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #44
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Cruisers are "over priced" because there is no proper competition.
yep.. seriously there isnt.. not nancy carpark minesite crap.. drive them shift fitter style.. underground....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took one a few years ago, it was a piece of crap. Sorry, for a V8 turbo diesel, it was absolutely gutless! Should have had a heavy duty powertrain and 700+Nm of torque with a 4.5 tonne towing capacity. But it has the same towing capacity as a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a bigger engine, with much less power and torque, a really crap interior (even for a Toyota) and a ridiculously high price tag. Good riddance to a third-world (not tough) vehicle.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I took one a few years ago, it was a piece of crap. Sorry, for a V8 turbo diesel, it was absolutely gutless! Should have had a heavy duty powertrain and 700+Nm of torque with a 4.5 tonne towing capacity. But it has the same towing capacity as a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a bigger engine, with much less power and torque, a really crap interior (even for a Toyota) and a ridiculously high price tag. Good riddance to a third-world (not tough) vehicle.
are you trolling.. i once had a focus as a loan car.. it was a pos..

we are talking mine site vehicles.. last time you dodged jumbos, boggers or dumpys was.....
Old 15-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
are you trolling.. i once had a focus as a loan car.. it was a pos..

we are talking mine site vehicles.. last time you dodged jumbos, boggers or dumpys was.....
Beat me to it pottery, a classic trolling post designed to do nothing but inflame a subject....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #48
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower

What you have to realise is that in Australia we only get things like Navaras and Hiluxes and Rangers with small engines, bodies made out of tinfoil and with suspension components made out of toothpicks. Unfortunately a lot of decent trucks and pickups are not made in RHD, hence the Landcruiser is the ONLY option for companies and people which want a 4wd ute tougher than the market-garden specials we have in the rest of the market.

Landcruiser ute wouldnt last 5 minutes in the US market due to its lack of comfort, space, payload, torque and towing capacity.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #49
herbicide

So much misinformation about the 1VD engine, I love mine with the 3 inch exhaust, once it gets a few more kms up it'll get chipped too. Craps all over the old 1HD FTE engine.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
What you have to realise is that in Australia we only get things like Navaras and Hiluxes and Rangers with small engines, bodies made out of tinfoil and with suspension components made out of toothpicks. Unfortunately a lot of decent trucks and pickups are not made in RHD, hence the Landcruiser is the ONLY option for companies and people which want a 4wd ute tougher than the market-garden specials we have in the rest of the market.

Landcruiser ute wouldnt last 5 minutes in the US market due to its lack of comfort, space, payload, torque and towing capacity.
you're right.. we're aussies we don't give a **** about comfort.. we just want the job done and hose it out at the end of shift...

couldn't think of anything more useless than an F truck on shift...
Old 15-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #51
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we had f250's on site a few years back as fitters utes, all the fruit, gen sets crane yada yada, 3000km saw the front suspension rooted and rebuilt, bottomed out on everything because of the lenght of the chassis. plenty of grunt, but thats about it. pretty sure both ended up on their roof too.

cruisers might be rough, but they're simple and go just about forever, they still have a ~1980 ute running about...
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #52
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

MIM (Xstrata) in Mt Isa has tried every type of 4wd underground over the years and none of them handle what a landcruiser handles.i personally would never buy a cruiser but its pure fact that nothing compares to them in the mining industry.
Ford should have sent a Ranger underground for the Ranger challenge,that would have been worth seeing.could have also picked up some sales for them if it made it through.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8
MIM (Xstrata) in Mt Isa has tried every type of 4wd underground over the years and none of them handle what a landcruiser handles.i personally would never buy a cruiser but its pure fact that nothing compares to them in the mining industry.
Ford should have sent a Ranger underground for the Ranger challenge,that would have been worth seeing.could have also picked up some sales for them if it made it through.

Out in WA, they use Dodge Rams underground even with the OH&S concerns of them being LHD. A lot of underground rental firms, lease out the big American trucks as well - not only is it a mining vehicle, its a RENTAL mining vehicle, imagine how much they are trashed.

The Landcruiser Ute is great, but they are held up on a pedestal simply due to their longevity, but longevity is easy if you make it crap at everything else. Lets be honest; they dont drive well, dont handle well, dont tow amazingly well, average payload, crap comfort, crap economy, crap price, crap room. I could make a ute last 100 years - you just wouldnt want to drive it.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #54
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Out in WA, they use Dodge Rams underground even with the OH&S concerns of them being LHD. A lot of underground rental firms, lease out the big American trucks as well - not only is it a mining vehicle, its a RENTAL mining vehicle, imagine how much they are trashed.

The Landcruiser Ute is great, but they are held up on a pedestal simply due to their longevity, but longevity is easy if you make it crap at everything else. Lets be honest; they dont drive well, dont handle well, dont tow amazingly well, average payload, crap comfort, crap economy, crap price, crap room. I could make a ute last 100 years - you just wouldnt want to drive it.
is this hearsay again.. last time you drove a vehicle underground was.....

lol@classic internerd exsperts..

Last edited by pottery beige; 15-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #55
GTMOND

The old 1hz were good old thing, but the new V8 are a big step backwards. Infact we have one sitting in darwin 38,000klms on it with the v8 sitting in its tray. Toyota qouted 27,000 bucks for a replacement motor. Second hand there 15,000 thousand. And the stater motor in a **** spot. 2000 dollars to change. 3 of them so far had this done so far. Its a shame because they have great power and not bad economy below 110.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #56
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Out in WA, they use Dodge Rams underground
Oh really...and who told you this?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Oh really...and who told you this?

+61 8 9088 0660. Murray engineering services include machine rebuilds, tyre division, electrical division, Dodge Ram underground vehicles and a hire divison ...
Old 15-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #58
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
+61 8 9088 0660. Murray engineering services include machine rebuilds, tyre division, electrical division, Dodge Ram underground vehicles and a hire divison ...
was that it.....
Old 15-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #59
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND
The old 1hz were good old thing, but the new V8 are a big step backwards. Infact we have one sitting in darwin 38,000klms on it with the v8 sitting in its tray. Toyota qouted 27,000 bucks for a replacement motor. Second hand there 15,000 thousand. And the stater motor in a **** spot. 2000 dollars to change. 3 of them so far had this done so far. Its a shame because they have great power and not bad economy below 110.
blokes i know at Hastings at Ernest Henry say they change the starter motors every couple of months due to the position of it.

on another note, the company i worked for at Ernest Henry swamped a great wall with 3000km on the clock lol,apparently they dont like water. great wall quoted them 19g to replace the motor.god knows how but it was written off by the insurance mob.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #60
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
LOL OK. Did you actually speak to someone who works there, or just did a flurry of Google searching and found a random website with incorrect information?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post