Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #31
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota gone too if their export contact not renewed. abc report.

I have heard that the Japanese are quite ruthless when it comes to management and financial decisions......If it wasn't for the union keeping Toyota on their feet I reckon Japan would just shut it all down asap?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #32
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
I have heard that the Japanese are quite ruthless when it comes to management and financial decisions......If it wasn't for the union keeping Toyota on their feet I reckon Japan would just shut it all down asap?
Probably what has helped them become such a powerhouse since the war ( despite their current local downturn)

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doubt it. Toyota has only ever shut two plants, the Japanese do not like to loose face, so if TMA can make inroads into reducing costs they should be able to make a fair fist of it.

Also Toyota has 20% of the market here, Australia was the first market they got to number 1 in. There is some goodwill there.

The two questions that will have a bearing on it are:

1. Will there be a sufficient supplier base?
2. Can costs be brought down substantially?

The other is the AUD, which will provide a free kick should it fall to the predicted 80 cents in the medium term.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the feasibility of TMA doing a Cruze? ie. importing whatever components cant be sourced/made here?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #35
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Doubt it. Toyota has only ever shut two plants, the Japanese do not like to loose face, so if TMA can make inroads into reducing costs they should be able to make a fair fist of it.

Also Toyota has 20% of the market here, Australia was the first market they got to number 1 in. There is some goodwill there.

The two questions that will have a bearing on it are:

1. Will there be a sufficient supplier base?
2. Can costs be brought down substantially?

The other is the AUD, which will provide a free kick should it fall to the predicted 80 cents in the medium term.
I'm not exactly a pro on the value of the AUD but its looking like the USD is going to stay quite strong for a while yet while 'The Federal Reserve' in the U.S keep rates at 0.00 for along time yet trying to re stimulate the dying U.S economy.

And I really cannot see the AUD at 80c ever again???
Old 07-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #36
rdmr

What happened to the talk of Toyota adding a third vehicle to their production line here in Melbourne? Wasn't RAV4 being spoken of?
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #37
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never mind...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #38
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Never mind...
Don't think you'll be saying that if they do actually close......the next three years are going to be .....INTERESTING to say the least.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #39
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, ruthless, Mitsubishi paid my Brother In Laws mortgage for 10 years while they made a loss on the ADL plant most years, they sent him off with a nice package, yes, ruthless.

The unions have banged on since the holden announcement about the employees "upskilling""training up" and "increasing their value" which really misses the point that some of these guys will have to suck it up and take LESS pay for mainly unskilled work.Mining wont be the safety net that the Mitsi guys had in 2008.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
The unions have banged on since the holden announcement about the employees "upskilling""training up" and "increasing their value"
most wont. the doors will close, and the hands will come out in expectation of the taxpayer paying them to skill up. funny, I thought that's what their redundancy packages were for, but no doubt we'll see a whole lot of flashy speed boats on the Murray that year.....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't think you'll be saying that if they do actually close......the next three years are going to be .....INTERESTING to say the least.
No I misread a post I quoted so I deleted it...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #42
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
I work for a Japanese firm and yes there is always the consideration of the finances. Currently our organisation is slashing costs left right and centre due to the way of the AU economy.
We're told to take leave and even time in lieu is under review (overtime isn't paid unless agreed prior). All this is done to ensure jobs are maintained.
The Japanese aren't the job cutting type and only do it in extreme cases.
It is a tough climate right now and everyone needs to work together to get through it, some compromises are going to be required for the long term gain.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
What's the feasibility of TMA doing a Cruze? ie. importing whatever components cant be sourced/made here?
Nil. Toyota and Ford both stated they could not make any money building Corolla and Focus here, and both wondered how Holden were going to make a single cent on Cruze.

Rumours of RAV4 have been circulating but that's probably on hold until the factories future has been decided.

Luckily Toyota are one of, if not the, richest manufacturer in the world so they won't be too concerned about some financial losses here. And just remember they only finished their new engine plant here not long ago, they will want their return of investment on that. Maybe the sinking aussie dollar might be a blessing for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post