Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which Bathurst was this?

Those same set of rules helped DJR win at Willowbank when their car was in the sandtrap at the end of the straight. I think it was Larry Perkins crying fowl that day, I am unsure of the driver for DJR that day but I think it was Paul Radisich.
Old 15-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I remember that after the red and white shytebox crashed OUT of the race Dick drove past the wreck , crossed the finish line and was half way up mountain straight when the red flag was waved . dick was declared the winner by all and sundry at first , then there was a protest within a few minutes and then the race was declared over at the time the red flag was waved , minus the last 2 completed laps ! apparently the EUROPEAN rules were being used for the race and they stipulate after a red flaged race due to serious crash or dangerous race conditions the result will stand at the red flag minus 2 completed laps (Richards was first across the line). Normally Bathurst was run under our touring car rules the result would be taken back to the last completed lap ( which would have been Dick first across the line ) !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 15-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man View Post
I remember that after the red and white shytebox crashed OUT of the race Dick drove past the wreck , crossed the finish line and was half way up mountain straight when the red flag was waved . dick was declared the winner by all and sundry at first , then there was a protest within a few minutes and then the race was declared over at the time the red flag was waved , minus the last 2 completed laps ! apparently the EUROPEAN rules were being used for the race and they stipulate after a red flaged race due to serious crash or dangerous race conditions the result will stand at the red flag minus 2 completed laps (Richards was first across the line). Normally Bathurst was run under our touring car rules the result would be taken back to the last completed lap ( which would have been Dick first across the line ) !
Bathurst 92 was run under World Touring Car conditions, if they were the rules, they were the rules for every car on track.
Those shyte boxes filled 4 0f the top 12 positions on the final standings, they couldn't have been too bad.

In fact they weren't bad at all.

What happened at Bathurst that year was the culmination for what was already in the minds of many race fans, no one liked the turbo charged Nissan as it was too bloody good.
Despite being handicapped (it was 2seconds off the previous years pace) it was still leading the race until it went into the wall.

It was in its own league.
Old 15-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
At Bathurst 2012 they showed an interview with Richards, and he referred to that as "My public speaking debut" with a sly smile.
He certainly got the audiences attention, and made a few headlines.
Old 15-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #35
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So Dick shouldn't have won his first Bathurst in '81?
No ! Brock hit the rock as well.

Dicky boy hit it and big deal, if he missed it good on him but he hit it, to bad so sad. to be truthful.

Someone hit a roo once down conrod, gee that looked good !

If you crash to bad the race goes on in my book.

I have no favorites, it is what it is a race not a bloody idolatry of the drivers to me.

I do take my hat off to all of the drivers but i do like to see the small teams get a win, big boys crash good the little ones may have a chance.
Old 15-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #36
The FOMOCO

Jim Richards had every right to be angry at the crowd that day it was very bad sportsman ship by the crowd .Also he is the best wet road driver that's gone around Bathusrt ever
Old 15-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #37
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's certainly not the only race that's been red flagged due to heavy rain.
Old 15-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FOMOCO View Post
Jim Richards had every right to be angry at the crowd that day it was very bad sportsman ship by the crowd .Also he is the best wet road driver that's gone around Bathusrt ever
Another thing that would have bothered Jimmy, was that earlier Denny Hulme passed away while driving in the race (heart failure I think?), Denny is a former Formula 1 champ. and a Kiwi.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #39
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a belief from import fans that the reason why Nissan was "banned from V8 Supercars" was due to the fans reaction to this event.

That isn't really true, no?
Old 15-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #40
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
There is a belief from import fans that the reason why Nissan was "banned from V8 Supercars" was due to the fans reaction to this event.

No its not.
Group A had become unsustainable. The manufacturers had to build 500 homologation specials during a recession.
They were complaining they couldn't sell them and that it was consuming too much of their engineering budget.
Not to mention rampant cheating....500 not made, illegal fuels, capacity of motors.
Old 15-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FOMOCO View Post
A yobo threw a can of beer, that's what set him off..I was there..
The crowd did settle after ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 16-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #42
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post

International Group A finished in 1988 but continued until 1992 in Australia before the switch to V8 Supercars. The formula was already going to change well before the Nissan GTR even entered racing here.
The VN Group A was allowed to race because of this. They only made 302 of the 500 required to be eligible
Old 16-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #43
69XWGT

Wasn't just the race that got the fans going.

Everywhere the Nissan team went so did the booing. That had been going on all year.

I've seen a photo of a couple of the Nissan team members flipping the bird to the crowd and apparently it was taken around 11am in the morning. So by races finish you would have had a heap of angry fans and then it was like trying to put a fire out with petrol when Richo buried it in the wall.

To the clown that said Dick shouldn't have won in 81. Slight difference.
In 81 the track was completely blocked. In 92 it was far from blocked and the rain had stopped at the top of the mountain when the race was called
Old 16-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #44
staity

Group A died in Aus because the fans were loosing interest. Most of the cars the average Aussie couldn't identify with as they were foreign and hella expensive (with the exception of some cars of course). Hence the introduction of V8 supercars and going back to Ford V Holden.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
Old 16-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't believe people are still so upset about it.
Ran was too heavy, track was dangerous, race was called. Rules said that whoever was leading at last complete lap was declared winner. Simple as that.

Literally the ONLY reason for the furor is that a Falcon or a Commodore didn't get declared winner, and the bogans didn't like it...one of them funny high tech furrin cars was declared the winner! the very idea! And it wasn't a V8!!!! That was the worst part I think.
If it had been a Falcon or Commodore, not a peep would be heard and people would have by now pretty much have forgotten all about the race, and now, 22 years later, no one would even raise an eyebrow about it or get all narky about the result.

Big part of the start to push towards changing the formula to "V8 only"...and then only Australian made ones, reducing it even further to Commodore versus Falcon.

Basically, people couldn't stand that something without a V8 won, and that it had a Nissan badge on it. That's about what it boiled down to.
I really don't think they could see that the future was coming where technology was going to mean that simply the number of cylinders just didn't matter that much anymore, and something with relatively low engine capacity (2.6ltr in the case of the Godzilla Skylines) and proper chassis development and modern drivetrain advances meant just having a V8 didn't guarantee victory.

God I miss the real Bathurst races with different class of car all racing together, big cars, small cars, fours, sixes, and eights (and occasionally 12's and rotaries), and you literally had no idea who was going to win and what upsets were going to happen to allow some unknown cars and driver to win. That was true exciting racing, not just an endless procession of Falcodores all fitted the virtually the same running gear and a shell on top...
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #46
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One more thing...
If Tricky Dicky had been declared winner, remember this: he would have been driving a foreign car...a foreign car with a turbo...a foreign car with four cylinders and a turbo...

Hell, if most of the "V8's are the only engine that has ever existed and will ever exist, so help me god" bogans there that day had actually thought about what they were demanding, their heads would have exploded at the facts of it...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 16-02-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 16-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #47
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Can't believe people are still so upset about it.
Ran was too heavy, track was dangerous, race was called. Rules said that whoever was leading at last complete lap was declared winner. Simple as that.

Literally the ONLY reason for the furor is that a Falcon or a Commodore didn't get declared winner, and the bogans didn't like it...one of them funny high tech furrin cars was declared the winner! the very idea! And it wasn't a V8!!!! That was the worst part I think.
If it had been a Falcon or Commodore, not a peep would be heard and people would have by now pretty much have forgotten all about the race, and now, 22 years later, no one would even raise an eyebrow about it or get all narky about the result.

Big part of the start to push towards changing the formula to "V8 only"...and then only Australian made ones, reducing it even further to Commodore versus Falcon.

Basically, people couldn't stand that something without a V8 won, and that it had a Nissan badge on it. That's about what it boiled down to.
I really don't think they could see that the future was coming where technology was going to mean that simply the number of cylinders just didn't matter that much anymore, and something with relatively low engine capacity (2.6ltr in the case of the Godzilla Skylines) and proper chassis development and modern drivetrain advances meant just having a V8 didn't guarantee victory.

God I miss the real Bathurst races with different class of car all racing together, big cars, small cars, fours, sixes, and eights (and occasionally 12's and rotaries), and you literally had no idea who was going to win and what upsets were going to happen to allow some unknown cars and driver to win. That was true exciting racing, not just an endless procession of Falcodores all fitted the virtually the same running gear and a shell on top...
The fact that it was a high tech sports car that probably shouldn't have been allowed to compete against touring cars really didn't help.
Old 16-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #48
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
The fact that it was a high tech sports car that probably shouldn't have been allowed to compete against touring cars really didn't help.
Dicks Sierra Cosworth was just as high tech...as were a number of cars in the field at the time. For a while, it had become apparent to thinking people that a simple rear drive naturally aspirated V8 was on the wane, and would soon be nothing more than an interesting technical piece of racing history.

Something had to be done to change that...and it was...resulting in the boring as bad guano racing series we have at the moment. The only "change" is that they are finally and begrudgingly letting in a few other badges to the field.
Old 16-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #49
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69XWGT View Post
l.

To the clown that said Dick shouldn't have won in 81. Slight difference.
In 81 the track was completely blocked. In 92 it was far from blocked and the rain had stopped at the top of the mountain when the race was called
The point is, both races were red flagged and cut short...both under respective rules. It is what it is, one win was not more fair and just then the other.

The reason why people still sook about it is because they need someone to blame when things don't go there way...the GT-R was the easy target because it didn't have a Ford or Holden badge on it.

One of the most idiotic things I've heard is from Nissan fans about the Altima..."they'll win and get banned like the old days"

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #50
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
The point is, both races were red flagged and cut short...both under respective rules. It is what it is, one win was not more fair and just then the other.

The reason why people still sook about it is because they need someone to blame when things don't go there way...the GT-R was the easy target because it didn't have a Ford or Holden badge on it.
Precisely...even though the Sierra that Dick drove was every bit as high tech and even more foreign than the Skyline. At least if you had the cash you could go into your Nissan dealer and buy a GTR...but Sierras were unavailable in this country and couldn't even meet our emissions requirements.

Quote:
One of the most idiotic things I've heard is from Nissan fans about the Altima..."they'll win and get banned like the old days"
It is an understandable sentiment though, because it's happened before in a quite blatantly obvious way, and history does have a way of repeating itself.
Although I would say, I'd be really interested to see what would happen if the Nissans (and Volvo and others coming soon) started winning regularly over the Ford and Holden...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 16-02-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #51
4stanger