Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #31
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default Re: the worst mod you ever did to a car

In my short car ownership career... I can really only think of one proper regret..... so far! And it's another exhaust one.

After two months of having my Wagon, and having my licence, I went to the QUIT Forest Rally in Nannup, and the backward end of the tailpipe, coming out of the resonator, had rusted out, and came loose on the corrugated dirt roads! Rattled around all day, and sounded awful!

So I took it in to a exhaust shop in Busso, where they said they could sell me a whole new tailpipe with resonator for $170ish, or one the same, but without the resonator, for $145. Being a bit low on cash back then, I went for the cheaper option.
For the next 9 months, I had to put up with a disgusting exhaust note, most notable around 2000rpm. It was basically a quiet farty drone.

Then I replaced it with a Redback 2.5" catback, with extra resonator installed into the tailpipe...... one of the best mods I've done yet. Sounds great, nice low burble at low revs, great roar at higher revs, no drone at all, and quiet when cruising!

I put a Supercheap twin tip on it though, with the rolled lip. I think this slightly affects the sound, so I've got a better one waiting without the rolled lip, so hopefully that'll sound a little better!?

Last edited by OffRoadFalcon; 08-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #32
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Fitted genie headers and exhaust system to a XE crossflow. Back in those days, the air conditioner lines ran down the drivers side and I didn't insulate the lines.
High pressure line blew spraying R12 everywhere, scaring the crap out of me and everyone else in the car.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slight spring lift on a Jeep Patriot. Didn't put bigger shocks on it so they would top out over big bumps. First gen Patriots were so low to the ground when stock, I had people asking me if I lowered it.
Never should of bought that car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #34
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lowered my BF XR8 too low.. looked great when standing still, but would scrape on a baby ant.. made for embarrassing times in car parks with speed bumps..
Old 08-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #35
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Fitted Water Injection to my TF Gem Gem Gemini in the belief it would triple my horsepower.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #36
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Black anodised valve covers for my tyres.

They faded to grey after about a week.

Now I know why they're called Supercheap.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #37
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Black anodised valve covers for my tyres.

They faded to grey after about a week.

Now I know why they're called Supercheap.
ha, i got red they went pink, the lady who bought the car ask why i would put pink valve covers on
i have little alloy pistons now no the other cars, they look the biz!
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #38
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I decided to add a 'kill switch' to my 180B....

Not knowing anything about car electrics I just stripped one of the wires out of a piece of 3 core house wire and extended one of the cables running to the starter.

Looped it through the firewall and into a nook between the transmission tunnel and the centre console.

Didn't work the first time. Switch got real hot.

Oh, the switch was a regular house light switch, just popped out of the plastic housing.

Hmm I think I went through a few hours of trial and error - mostly error.

Ended up going to Jaycar and buying a much heavier gauge wire. Worked a treat.
My anti-theft device for my 180B back in '87 was to remove the rotor, worked pretty good.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #39
GT2

Chrome plated everything in the engine bay of my XW GT.
All back to standard now.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #40
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fitted a glass FPV pursuit ute body kit to a perfectly good XR8. Looked good from a distance but up close mismatched metallic paint, cracks everywhere after a few hunfred kays. Cost a small fortune too. Traded in the car to get away from my mistake. Never again...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #41
thehammer

throttle cable was ****** on my ED and had to wrap it around the shock tower to get full throttle, made the throttle VERY touchy and nearly impossible to drive, but at least it got full power, took me 6 months to bother to get a new cable
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #42
JustBlown

Put a 283 Chevy V8 in an short WB FJ40 Landcruiser in Meb. 40 years ago and the clutch throw was too short-boy I learnt about double clutching as we went up the Birdsville track-TOWING A BEFRIENDED KOMBI ! Yes, at Christmas,40C.What were we thinking-towed them to BRIS. !!
The other overlooked engine swap detail was that the fan blades ended up about a foot from the radiator-so lots of stubby stops on the way !
JustBlown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #43
JustBlown

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFalcon View Post
In my short car ownership career... I can really only think of one proper regret..... so far! And it's another exhaust one.

After two months of having my Wagon, and having my licence, I went to the QUIT Forest Rally in Nannup, and the backward end of the tailpipe, coming out of the resonator, had rusted out, and came loose on the corrugated dirt roads! Rattled around all day, and sounded awful!

So I took it in to a exhaust shop in Busso, where they said they could sell me a whole new tailpipe with resonator for $170ish, or one the same, but without the resonator, for $145. Being a bit low on cash back then, I went for the cheaper option.
For the next 9 months, I had to put up with a disgusting exhaust note, most notable around 2000rpm. It was basically a quiet farty drone.

Then I replaced it with a Redback 2.5" catback, with extra resonator installed into the tailpipe...... one of the best mods I've done yet. Sounds great, nice low burble at low revs, great roar at higher revs, no drone at all, and quiet when cruising!

I put a Supercheap twin tip on it though, with the rolled lip. I think this slightly affects the sound, so I've got a better one waiting without the rolled lip, so hopefully that'll sound a little better!?
Great outback rig !! Good work
JustBlown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #44
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't do the mod but bought the car with it like that back in the day.
It was a 1971 Charger that originally had a beige coloured interior / roof lining painted black.....with a paint brush and you could see the brush strokes / fade through.......nice !!!!
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #45
KurtisEBear