Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: If a "Middle aged White male" BOO's in the forest, is he still a RACIST???

Agree with the political correctness gone mad thing....

What bothers me about the whole saga is that the indigenous round is about 'bringing two cultures together' (off the AFL's website), yet Goodes' war dance was the opposite, an aggressive gesture that was divisive at its core, and certainly not befitting an Australian of the Year. And he should have been taken to task for doing it when he did it. And if he had been, and acknowledged it, the crowd would have gotten over it and moved on. But we all know that's not how modern 'equality' works...

If a white player had made an analogous 'white' gesture at the indigenous round, he'd have been labelled insensitive, inappropriate, racist, would have been forced to issue a public apology, would have been forced to undertake some sort of counselling and take part in some campaign against racism.

Now I read stories about 'the conversation about racism we need to have' ..... conversation?? Or do they just want to freely give us some label to shut us down, and have us all apologize, without listening to the opposing view. Oh wait, that is just like a normal conversation .... with the Mrs
Old 02-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: If a "Middle aged White male" BOO's in the forest, is he still a RACIST???

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Agree with the political correctness gone mad thing....

What bothers me about the whole saga is that the indigenous round is about 'bringing two cultures together' (off the AFL's website), yet Goodes' war dance was the opposite, an aggressive gesture that was divisive at its core, and certainly not befitting an Australian of the Year. And he should have been taken to task for doing it when he did it. And if he had been, and acknowledged it, the crowd would have gotten over it and moved on. But we all know that's not how modern 'equality' works...

If a white player had made an analogous 'white' gesture at the indigenous round, he'd have been labelled insensitive, inappropriate, racist, would have been forced to issue a public apology, would have been forced to undertake some sort of counselling and take part in some campaign against racism.

Now I read stories about 'the conversation about racism we need to have' ..... conversation?? Or do they just want to freely give us some label to shut us down, and have us all apologize, without listening to the opposing view. Oh wait, that is just like a normal conversation .... with the Mrs
I don't usually agree with what you say because we seem to be on opposite ends of the political spectrum but I reckon this is 100% correct.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #33
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does my head in is not "Goodsey" and what he has to say but the extreme left bandwagon jumpers who think they hold the moral high ground and viciously shout down and accuse all and sundry of racism if they dare question any part of the story.
"YOU'RE A RACIST"
They are incapable of having a sensible debate and the worst part is the rest of the media and politicians are too scared of debating what constitutes racism for fear of being labeled a racist themselves.

Goodsey lead us down a road that needs to be addressed and debated.
It's just a pity our media and politicians are incapable of having that debate!
5 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #34
zilo
BANNED

I grew up in the inner suburbs of Melbourne.

Amazing how the majority thinks a minority should toughen up and put up with verbal abuse and it all starts in the playground.

Which ethnic group do you reckon invented:-

italian wog and dago jokes
Greek are all dirty and greasy jokes
Irish are all stupid jokes
French frog jokes
Aborigines are all on welfare jokes, abbos
American yankee jokes
Asian chink jokes

and plenty more that I've forgotten..

Just jokes and harmless right?

As I recall the same group did, (and still does), take great offence at any criticism of itself to this day...

Middle Aged white man in Australia?

Thread topic should be

"Is Middle aged Anglican descent white man in Australia racist if he Boos?

Flame away...

Last edited by zilo; 02-08-2015 at 02:35 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #35
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

Amazing how the majority thinks a minority should toughen up and put up with verbal abuse and it all starts in the playground.

French frog jokes
American yankee jokes
Asian chink jokes

As I recall the same group did, (and still does), take great offence at any criticism of itself to this day...

Thread topic should be

Flame away...

A joke is a joke regardless, be it true half true or what ever, so what !

No one got up set years ago about it at all.

My Grand dad coped it all, when he came to Australia.
Oh your a new Australian and his reply was, I will never be a new or an old Australian and they made jokes at him being so tall etc and he just said something back.
He said he liked the Aussies and said they were nice welcoming friendly people.

In the pubs before the 90's people would make a crack at ya directly and if you were man enough to sling something back all was good, as you were one of the boys out for a good time and just to let your hair down say, it was not done in malice at all, but only to a wimp or a fool could it would be taken the wrong way, it was then you were classed as not a true man and not respected as one of.
Gutless winging people were despised as was dobing people in.

A man would come up to you and say how ya going ya so and so bastard and shake your hand like a man, and your response was what made the friendship regardless of what race you were at all.
5 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #36
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

French frog jokes
American yankee jokes
Asian chink jokes

Thread topic should be

Flame away...

You raise a good point.
And the jokes along with extreme bullying were unfortunately part of growing up for me in the 70s with me mostly on the receiving end.
But I turned out relatively normal.
My background;
I was bought up in the western suburbs of Sydney.
I have been a blue collar worker all my life and usually always surrounded by multiple ethnic groups.
My wife is Irish.
My best mates (since school) are Greek, Maltese and Pommies.

Pardon the pun but Racism is not black and white.
I also have quite a few South African (white) mates(and people think Aussies are messed up)
Whilst I admit racism is alive and well in Australia, people also need to recognise that Australia has an open door to all ethnicities and does not discriminate when it comes to immigration.
Yet Australia regularly gets branded as one of the most racist countries in the world.
From my experience immigrants are usually the most intolerant people when it comes to other races.
NOW you can flame me.

A lot of my mates are very prejudice and I regularly remind them of it BUT as I've mentioned before they judge each guy on what he does and says like most Australians and to me that is the most important thing.
Everybody no matter who they are, have prejudices, some BIG and some small but we all have our own little prejudices.
How Racism fits in to all of this these days I'm not sure but I try and be non-prejudice.

Cheers!
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #37
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
A joke is a joke regardless, be it true half true or what ever, so what !

No one got up set years ago about it at all.

You are either really young or ...whatever...
Here...read this as a google example contradicting your known universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_jokes
Old 02-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

South African migrants are interesting, I have a South African friend who took place in a lot of the violence during apartheid back home, and he still holds the same sentiments against white South Africans to this day, refuses to have anything to do with them even here in Australia.

My Italian grand parents still hated Germans because of WWII.

They also hate other Italians that are from Calabria/Sicily wich are the Southern parts of Italy, because grand parents are from the Northern/Central parts over some silly perception that Southern Italians are all scumbags even though they migrated over to Australia in 1949 and 1954.

WTF!?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #39
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I mentioned my wife is Irish, a Belfast girl.
If she hears a Southern Ireland accent, she starts muttering all sorts of expletives under her breath.
After a few years I couldn't take anymore and had to remind her that some of her best friends were southern Irish.
What she said floored me "yeah but their good southern Irelanders"
I suppose she just can't help it, and after the carnage she grew up in I can't really say much.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #40
maat1985

at the end of the day Australia as a country and government have certainly some of the least racist and most open immigration policies in the world. we also have some of the most open foreign investment policies in the world. so Australia as a country cannot ever be classed as racist we are the furthest from it then any country i can think of.
as i said previously as example to become an Israeli citizen one needs to be Jewish.
to invest in property in China one needs to be a Chinese citizen.
here in Australia our government does not care who you are or where you are from our doors are open for you. so anybody who says Australia is a racist country is one of the most ill-informed unknowledgable backward people ever to grace the face of this earth.

when you talk about the people living here yes you may have a different picture. yes there is racist white males here. yes there are racist chinese here. yes there are racist lebanese here. yes there are racist aboriginals here. yes there are racist mexicans here and so and so on.
most of this so called racisim stems from people who do not understand Australian humor. overuse of political correctnes and the desire to not offend anyone. but moreso than anything it stems from little things like people from different backgrounds who come out here and do not fully assimilate ie live together in groups of the same background. do not learn the english language. have all the signage on their shops in their own language not in english.
eg. a chinese shop that has a job wanted advert only in chines (illegal by the way) and then refuses to employ a white australian because they want only chinese employees.
it is all these sorts of things that create and exaggerate racisim.
if the immigrants who came out here assimilated fully into our community and accepted everyone who is here as who thery are and what they are then there certainly would't be the problem to the same extent as there is.
my question is how can someone from any country in the world move to another country and then be racist??? we have given them every opportunity and every courtesy more so than their countries would often extend to us and yet they then create these problems here.....
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #41
maat1985

i just do not understand how everyone who already lives here and everyone who moves here cannot just accept everone else for the person that they are. There are a**holes and d***heads from every corner of the globe and no one should be judged as such by what their background is only be judged by the person that they themselves are.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm booing, cherry on ya boot !
gee gee , this latest biggest absolute load of crap in the media about booing and racism, some of these humans in sport being offended by booing need to harden up a bit,

people boo for many reasons , and 99.9 % of the time its nothing to do with skin color , it may be that they just do not like ya because your on the opposing team and have the dam ball,
or they think your a bloody sook,
or your wearing the wrong colored guernsey.

or you get offended get all upset like and act big girl which makes em boo more because nobody likes to see a big sook.

bloody hell i was going to the footy 40+ years ago , and it was every patron/ticket holders god given right to boo the **** out of/ curse any one they god damned wanted too and you didnt need a reason and no one questioned it , it was a part of barracking for your own team and it added to the atmosphere ,
and at the end of the day every one talked the footy talk , players did the job and did not bat an eye lid, it was part of the bloody game.

these days we hear this crap coming up more and more, we often here some of these footy players being all offended because another football player called him a name ......... next thing you know its in the news !!!

i mean seriously, what is this country coming too .... a once great rough tough game with tough players in it now , and with so many rules in it its becoming a gentlemanly/girly game full of easily offended pansies .

Some of these dudes that get all offended in public playing sports need to either harden and just play the game and gain some respect ..... or continue to act like a big sooks , no one likes big sooks and they will continue to get razzed, so either deal with it or pick another sport like chess or billiards.

i used to be passionate about footy, ..... i no longer watch it .... to many bloody sooks bringing the game down.
7 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #43
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat1985 View Post
i just do not understand how everyone who already lives here and everyone who moves here cannot just accept everone else for the person that they are. There are a**holes and d***heads from every corner of the globe and no one should be judged as such by what their background is only be judged by the person that they themselves are.

Because you, like me will never be able to understand what it's like to experience a war, especially a civil war where the hatred runs extremely deep.(read my previous post about my wife)

I'm trying to understand what my wife is on about by reading a few books on the subject and those books are absolutely horrifying.
There's nothing worse than a Civil War where it's country man vs country man, neighbour vs neighbour and family vs family.
Truly shocking!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #44
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
My Italian grand parents still hated Germans because of WWII.
Or the enmity between Croats and Serbs, even when they're born here ....
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #45
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so im not alowed to boo at the footy as its racist but it seems im alowed to go there and do a war dance depicting me speering or shootin the people im doing it towards Hmmm ??? don't understand why or how that situation is being condoned after all this nonsense

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because when a minority does something like that, they're celebrating their culture, it's empowering etc. if the majority do it. yep. racism.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #47
maat1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Scrotum View Post
Because you, like me will never be able to understand what it's like to experience a war, especially a civil war where the hatred runs extremely deep.(read my previous post about my wife)

I'm trying to understand what my wife is on about by reading a few books on the subject and those books are absolutely horrifying.
There's nothing worse than a Civil War where it's country man vs country man, neighbour vs neighbour and family vs family.
Truly shocking!
yes i can understand your point but why is any of that brought here???? i understand that many bad things have happened to many people over the course of history. however here we are supposed to be the land of oportunity for all.... people come here to get away from whatever is happening back where they came from yet still hold on and bring it here with them. it may sound harsh but it needs to get left behind when you come here to start afresh. because it is people who bring their issues here with them taht make half the problem we have here.... i am not saying that it is the only thing that creates problems and i am not trying to say it is easy to do... and i am thankfull that i have never experienced any of these things. but i am seeing more and more that there is growing racisim against the white Australian. which i cannot understand. the only people here who have any kind of right to bad feelings and misconcerptions about white Australians would be the Aboriginals and i think it is time we all need to move on from that as i know for one i had nothing to do with any of those atrosities and i do not want to be judged by any of that.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #48
maat1985

Quote:
because when a minority does something like that, they're celebrating their culture, it's empowering etc. if the majority do it. yep. racism.
white australians maybe the majority now but even still most of them have a background from elsewhere. i for one have danish, welsh and english background.
but also i would be confident that if all the minorities were added together there would be more people falling into a minority group then falling into the majority catagory. and that would be getting larger and larger. does anyone actually think that 50% of australians are 3rd gen or higher white Australians???
and further more can white australians really be racist when are infact white australians classified as a race??? or are we just infact a growing and developing Australian race with influences and backgrounds from every corner of the globe???
Old 02-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #49
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat1985 View Post
yes i can understand your point but why is any of that brought here???? i understand that many bad things have happened to many people over the course of history. however here we are supposed to be the land of oportunity for all.... people come here to get away from whatever is happening back where they came from yet still hold on and bring it here with them. it may sound harsh but it needs to get left behind when you come here to start afresh. because it is people who bring their issues here with them taht make half the problem we have here.... i am not saying that it is the only thing that creates problems and i am not trying to say it is easy to do... and i am thankfull that i have never experienced any of these things. but i am seeing more and more that there is growing racisim against the white Australian. which i cannot understand. the only people here who have any kind of right to bad feelings and misconcerptions about white Australians would be the Aboriginals and i think it is time we all need to move on from that as i know for one i had nothing to do with any of those atrosities and i do not want to be judged by any of that.

Using my wife as an example (and if she finds out, she'll string me up by the balls), with her I think it's just an unconscious automatic thing that she's really not aware of and she's been living in Australia for 35 years.
Very hard to get your head around but I'm trying.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Or the enmity between Croats and Serbs, even when they're born here ....
Its bloody ridiculous, went to TAFE for two years and befriended two born here friends (but parents from overseas, migrated here).

One has Croatian parents, the other has Italian parents, both guys in their 40s, they nearly ended up in a punch on between each other at a night out at the pub with class mates because one showed photos of a nice area in Croatia which used to be Italian territory before WWII and it turned into a fight, then one had a shot at me about Maltese people.

Cool story bro I'm here for steak, chips and coke not to punch on between three people born over here over something that happened well before all of us were even born half way across the planet.

I swear no one hates each other more than Europeans.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-08-2015 at 05:18 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #51
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I'm from a family of European immigrants to Australia of about 4 generations ago - so I'm white. I used to be racist as a teenager, but no more. I'm so sorry that I felt that way - it was so very wrong to be like that. I wasn't taught to be like that way, and have fully changed my thinking. We're all humans of the same race regardless of where we come from. We're all from the same planet and all from the same race regardless of what we as individuals think.

I relate this to Mr Goodes situation to how I feel like: Tony Mundine was/is a great NRL player who became a great boxer, no worries about that! I quietly wanted to see Mundine dropped in the ring everytime he fought. Not because he was indigenous, but because of his mouth.

I feel the same with Mr Goodes. He's a great footballer, but FFS, STFU and it will stop.

Just my 2c.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #52
maat1985

at the end of the day racisim based on skin colour is mostly bs... there are a very few who actually share this opinion. racisim is created by cultural differences.. ie the way things are done in africa is different to the way things are done here... the way things are done in china is different to the way things are done here..... you will find that almost all racisim and so called racisim stems from that... otherwise germans would have never invaded poland they are both white... racisim stems from the differences between people and it just so happens that skin colour is all to often used as a descriptive factor and to make an insult worse....
Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #53
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its bloody ridiculous, went to TAFE for two years and befriended two born here friends (but parents from overseas, migrated here).

One has Croatian parents, the other has Italian parents, both guys in their 40s, they nearly ended up in a punch on between each other at a night out at the pub with class mates because one showed photos of a nice area in Croatia which used to be Italian territory before WWII and it turned into a fight, then one had a shot at me about Maltese people.

Cool story bro I'm here for steak, chips and coke not to punch on between three people born over here over something that happened well before all of us were even born half way across the planet.

Nah it's not just them, Middle East has been fighting each other since the ottoman's same with allot of asia.

Oh and forgot Africa, don't even know what they fight over anymore tbh.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Last edited by Dash_XR; 02-08-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #54
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Says it all...

Last edited by csv8; 09-08-2015 at 10:03 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #55
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
LOL agree with you and.... the only non-europeans mentioned in this thread are the aborigines...
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #56
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Says it all...
Doesn't quite say it all...forgets the itty bitty bit about controlling oil supply.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

middle class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34u_3Z9_LUw

and white
Old 02-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #58
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I know is that if he ***** while he boos, that would make him a Bear...

Either that, or a Catholic?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #59
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yet Goodes' war dance was the opposite, an aggressive gesture that was divisive at its core, and certainly not befitting an Australian of the Year. And he should have been taken to task for doing it when he did it.
I disagree with the notion that his dance was somehow aggressive and racist.
(Personally, I think it's a little silly, as it looks foolish and has NO basis in Indigenous culture.)
I have no problem with him doing his little dance, in the sense that I don't view it as any more offensive or divisive than any other celebration.

Thing is, he stirred up the crowd, and they reacted. THAT should have been the end of the story, and in the ordinary course of business it would have been.
BUT, as usual, Goodes had to climb on his little soap-box, and brand the whole world wacist because opposition fans reacted.

I'm an Eagles fan, and in the lead up to the game, I pondered a couple of points:
  1. Who will get the job on Buddy, and how many goals will he score?
  2. Who will Sydney use in the Ruck if Pyke isn't available?
  3. What is the "human headline" Goodes going to do, to spoil this game and make it all about him?
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #60
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'm from a family of European immigrants to Australia of about 4 generations ago - so I'm white. I used to be racist as a teenager, but no more. I'm so sorry that I felt that way - it was so very wrong to be like that. I wasn't taught to be like that way, and have fully changed my thinking. We're all humans of the same race regardless of where we come from. We're all from the same planet and all from the same race regardless of what we as individuals think.

I relate this to Mr Goodes situation to how I feel like: Tony Mundine was/is a great NRL player who became a great boxer, no worries about that! I quietly wanted to see Mundine dropped in the ring everytime he fought. Not because he was indigenous, but because of his mouth.

I feel the same with Mr Goodes. He's a great footballer, but FFS, STFU and it will stop.

Just my 2c.

Cheers!
That letter he wrote to Mayweather was gold, is he on drugs?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Closed Thread