Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying first car, preferably EL-EF

I assume you're in Victoria?
$1,000
Find out what it needs for RWC, probably haggle down a bit.
$1,000
Same.
$850ono
Same deal, needs RWC.
$700.00 neg, with LPG

$999.00 neg. EF Fairmont with LPG
needs RWC and some work on the gas but at least has a bit of rego.
$1,000 EL on LPG
again, no RWC
$700 EF
Old 16-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #32
Tori
Starter Motor

Dazz pretty much nailed what I was trying to say, don't want to buy a car for 2k and have it let me down anyway. And yeah I just dont like the AU's at all, the interior the shape, nothing about them appeals to me lol; i'll learn how to fix an engine before that happens. I'm not totally against fixing my car myself, I just havnt tried anything like that before so i guess its a learning curve :P? I think I'll jsut wait for an EL with some rego and low kms. The deluded used car sales make it hard for someone like me to know what i should actually be paying though. I probably seem close minded, but I really just like these cars.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Why are people saying parts are hard to come by, you are kidding right?
Right now there are an abundance of parts, in fact the market price on these parts have dropped significantly.

Tori, join the E-series owners club on Facebook, heaps of good advice.

Personally, buying a car that has been looked after an not heavily modified is the way to go. They last forever (like any car) as long as it is maintained. I just sold my EL Fairmont for $1200, had 300k on it but never missed a beat. Sadly low klms comes at a price.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Yes, may be easy for someone that knows their way around an engine bay or has the knowledge / connections to do the work themselves but I assume by the questions posted that Tori has a limited scope (as well as funds) to undertake buying a car with a blown engine, then locate a suitable replacement engine, then arrange to have it swapped, then arrange for the inspection and change of details paperwork.

We all know how easily a person who presents themselves to a workshop with little mechanical understanding can be taken for a ride.
Yes, which is why i said 'if thats your thing'.
Evidently the prospect of doing some repairs is a possibility going by his most recent post.
Its only nuts and bolts man, if some dude on a production line can screw it together its not rocket science.
If i look hard enough i could find the step by step guide to doing it that i posted on here 5 or 6 years ago.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=AU+motor+EF

My point is, he wants an EF/L, the 'achile's' of the E-series cars is the head gasket, it gets 99% of them.
If he spends 1.5k on a 'running' EF/L he may end up with a milkshake next week, they are unpredictable.
If he bought one with the head already gone, he will get it for bugger all.
Throw an AU motor in which really isnt hard if you can follow basic instructions, and have the look he wants with a reliable powerplant, on the road, inside his budget.

When i was a teen starting out in the car scene i'd be all over it, if for nothing else than to prove i could do it.

Last edited by BENT_8; 16-10-2015 at 08:24 PM.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #35
esppwr

Tori look for a car that presents well, mechanicals on these cars are cheap.
2k is scrapping the bottom of the barrel of any car with reg & rwc.
It may pay to continue saving and purchase a cleaner example.
A clean Xr or ghia will more likely hold it's price v a flogged gli that nobody wants.
Buy yourself a manual and a tool kit, the problem solving and experience you gain from fixing your own car will far out way the cost of fixing it
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #36
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
Plenty of bargains around, just make sure you know what to look out for as others have said.

Have you tried the Auctions? http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-...matic?spr=true

A few other Falcons available too there.
I strongly advise against auctions for older cars. They are a minefield of rip off merchants. You don't get a chance to test drive at auctions and that is crucial with older cars.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #37
Tori
Starter Motor

Thanks again for all the help everyone, really appreciate it.

You did that procedure to an EF falcon, I'm buying an EL fairmont; would this still work?

I kind of do want a car like now though, since it would make things a lot easier. A car won't blow a headgasket or a head a week later without showing signs right? If so I can have a car to drive and fix that when it happens, or rather try to fix it lol. On a side note, what makes AU motors so much better than EL's? They're not much younger.
Old 16-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #38
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post

You did that procedure to an EF falcon, I'm buying an EL fairmont; would this still work?

I kind of do want a car like now though, since it would make things a lot easier. A car won't blow a headgasket or a head a week later without showing signs right? If so I can have a car to drive and fix that when it happens, or rather try to fix it lol. On a side note, what makes AU motors so much better than EL's? They're not much younger.
They had an improved head gasket on the AU series. Makes all the difference, even though my EL never blew a head gasket and last until 310,000 kms before being written off (was definitely an anomaly)
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #39
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:

Tori, How old are you and is there an urgent need (not desire) to own a car 'like now'?

Patience is a virtue and if you can wait for the right car and take your time to check things out, I truly believe that you will be better off in the long run - especially as you are getting plenty of very experienced advice on here.

Good luck either way you decide to go..
Old 17-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #40
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

EL run a Distributor as opposed to the coil pack used in EF and AU, though i cant see that being a problem as the hole to accomodate the distributor is present on the AU block.

It was just a thought.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #41
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you look at an EL Fairmont, I see a few styling cues carried over to the AU Monty.

In addition to fixing the head-gasket problem, there were big changes to the lower end of the engine for the AU. The block casting was revised, the main bearings were enlarged, new pistons were fitted with longer rods, and the sump was made from cast alloy and bolted through to effectively become part of the block, making the bottom end much stiffer and free from vibration. The result was an engine that is now legendary for its longevity.

Back when EL's were still popular, a very common and popular mod was to grab an AU engine from a wreck and drop it it (just required a little shave off the sump to accommodate the EL cross-member.)
Old 17-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #42
falcon_bandit
Banned

Quote:
And yeah I just dont like the AU's at all, the interior the shape, nothing about them appeals to me lol
test drive the EF & AU back to back, you may change your mind

ive seen heaps of AU Ghia's on gumtree for under $2000, great buying at the moment
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

For Christ sake he doesn't want an AU. And you're all kidding yourself if you think a $2000 AU is going to be any more reliable than a 2k EL. Either will depend on the previous owners.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #44
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
For Christ sake he doesn't want an AU.
Yes, but this is a forum, we mostly want to express our own opinions.

And yes, fact is the AU is a MUCH better car (if you can get past the looks) and the engines are MUCH more reliable.
Also, the price point at the moment sees AU's as the cheapest and most plentiful.

But of course that is only advice.
Most of the other advice applies equally if he only wants to look at EL's.

Personally, If the OP loves the look of EL's, I would SERIOUSLY consider a NL or DL. Generally better looked after, lower k's, more bang for your buck, more likely to have LPG, and on average very competitively priced for what you get.
Old 19-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #45
Pablo999
Banned

Try and buy an AU.

Au looks good with nice set of wheels. I think they look more modern than ef or el models and price to buy is almost same.
Pablo999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #46
Tori
Starter Motor

Yeah I don't think I'm going to get an AU, even though theyre meant to be mechanically better. Worst comes to worst I'll try that AU motor replace thing.
I'm 18, and I guess I don't need a car, although it would just make life easier obviously. That said I'm not going to rush it, but if i see something i think is reasonable, I will probably buy it and if it breaks down it breaks down; thats the risk of a car this cheap. I can probably become a little bit less useless with cars if i buy something that needs attention anyway.
You guys have been very helpful anyway, thank you .
Old 19-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #47
Falcman0o7
Banned

Should find a decent tickford powered EF EL Ghia for 2k
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #48
Falcman0o7
Banned

PS, AU's are great cars! LOL But i understand the issue with the looks.
XRs good good and TS50s are AWESOME!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #49
sleepisforthedead

Buy an EF Fairmont or Ghia, buy the best and lowest km one you can afford and hopefully the modifying bug won't bite you too hard and have you dropping coin on chrome inner door handles and EL Ghia grilles and AU diff cover and so on and so forth
XD - XE Ghia front, Arrow block - 427ci, Howards billet rods, CHI 225's, Active high rise, Transbraked C4 - full manual reverse pattern valvebody, 9" Strange alloy centre 4.11's & spool, 17x4.5 Drag Stars & 15x10 Weld ProStars, Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers F&R, Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs Caltracs and adjustable shocks, 90/10's and custom springs up front.. all just an expensive pile of parts in a shed.
sleepisforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #50
red_hotxr6
Banned

Bought my EL fairmont ghia, just over 3 years ago, apart from, the head gasket $600...4 new tyres, replace the radiator, and having the car serviced every 6 months, its brilliant...Also got an AU xr6 series 3, had to do more on this one as i dont think the previous owner looked after it....EL $2000.00 and the AU $3300..
with both cars pretty much right, they are both excellent cars to drive...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #51
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
How much are base model XT BA Falcons?
Funny you should ask - my mate picked one up for $520 a few weeks ago - best buy ever - he has pulled it apart trying to find anything wrong with it and all he can find is that it needs front brake pads lol

He was just at the right place and the right time 0 eBya at 2.30am in the morning lol

I have picked up an EL Fairmont Wagon with Concorde Interior on dual fuel with the only issue being head lining for $1,000 and also picked up a nice and neat EF Fairmont Sedan on dual fuel for $500...

So bargains are out there - you just have to look - get on facebook on Mobstarford E-Series Club and Ford ED EF EL AU XR6 and XR8 buy sell swap - there are some bargain e-series there up fro grabs

With EL's beware of rust in the sills

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #52
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I am love of EL's and and the 2 I have I only laid out $460 for and one had just been threw all its rego checks and had 12 months rego put on it. It still had a couple of tiny issues to fix but it to fix them it was more about time then money to sort and it has been a very good car and pretty much on the road since I got it only coming off the road for mods.

If you take your time, look at common area for rust like sills and around wheel arches and get a mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection then there is no reason why you cant grab yourself a nice tidy ef/el within your bugdet and have no dramas. Even modifying mine I havent spent alot but drives great, stops awesome and has some mod cons in it to. So even though it may be an 19yr old car it compares well with later models and I wont be giving it up at all but at the end of the day its your money and your choice.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post