Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #31
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Re: Car Parking Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Here are the NSW requirements.

Are you fit to drive.

If you're over 75 you are required to have a medical review every year to keep your licence.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/lice...-to-drive.html
If that is the case, then the situation outlined by the newspaper article by the OP, means the driver has been reviewed and cleared to drive...
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I don't think when referring to miks example that the 20 something year old woman driving the munro wilfully ran into the servo ice fridge.
Might be a bit more comparable if she then stuck it in reverse and took out 3 cars and a bowser, put it back into drive then drove through the servos front window.

Everyone makes mistakes, but having 1 accident, stopping, selecting a different gear then proceeding to having 2 more accidents indicates something is wrong and not just a case of a stuff up due to inattention or whatever.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #33
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Might have been running from the aliens.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Please post up your reference link, I like to read it.
I don't have one ... I had to crunch the raw stats from scratch. IIRC, I compared drivers <25 with drivers >70. Way more drivers <25 have crashes because they travelled far more, but in terms of crash rates per km, the older drivers were as bad or worse than <25's, and the <25's were far more likely to have single vehicle crashes while the >70's more likely to crash into others.

As others have mentioned, large-scale mandatory re-testing probably isn't workable, but perhaps an 'E' (for elderly) plate to identify older drivers might be worthwhile, so that people drive with a little more caution around them.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #35
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
If that is the case, then the situation outlined by the newspaper article by the OP, means the driver has been reviewed and cleared to drive...
https://www.onlinepublications.austr...tems/AP-G56-13

It's really only looking at existing medical conditions that might be incompatible with driving (eg. blackouts, diabetes, etc). The bigger issue is reaction time, ability to cope with stress, multitasking, etc.... I've seen some guys sharp as a tack into their 90's, others, probably couldn't lick an envelope without ending up in hospital. Age affects us all very differently.
Old 21-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Until you know ALL the facts keep your pathetic opinions to yourself. Your neighbors may say similar comments about your driving.
Seriously? On the basis of the description of the actions of that driver, that 78 year old should not have been driving at all. The actions described are of someone in total confusion, and the MOST IMPORTANT part of driving is the ability to make correct decisions. He is just lucky no-one was killed or injured.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #37
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I don't have one ... I had to crunch the raw stats from scratch. IIRC, I compared drivers <25 with drivers >70. Way more drivers <25 have crashes because they travelled far more, but in terms of crash rates per km, the older drivers were as bad or worse than <25's, and the <25's were far more likely to have single vehicle crashes while the >70's more likely to crash into others.

As others have mentioned, large-scale mandatory re-testing probably isn't workable, but perhaps an 'E' (for elderly) plate to identify older drivers might be worthwhile, so that people drive with a little more caution around them.

So your previous post has no factual reference but your own assumptions, and that is what it is, an assumption.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
So your previous post has no factual reference but your own assumptions, and that is what it is, an assumption.
no, like I said, I got it all from ATSB data. it's publically available, but not all in one report and has to be calculated from several sources. you are free to do so if you wish. I'm not prepared to do so for a perfect stranger because it's fairly involved.

given you appear to operate from the position that everyone is out to lie to you, here are some links which support the data I've seen ...

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/07/29/...-most-at-risk/
http://www.smh.com.au/national/elder...03-1myys4.html
Old 22-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #39
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post

Whilst I defend any driver whom is fit to drive of any legal driving age, in this case the driver is not fit to drive.

Even in this case if it was a medical issue, then needs to be addressed and assessed before getting behind a wheel again

This could have been so much worse, luckily it wasnt
These comments can be applied to 17-25 year olds, they **** up more on the road than anyone.

Lets make the legal driving age 26-???....congestion addressed and road toll reduced....win win.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #40
monzie

As others have mentioned, large-scale mandatory re-testing probably isn't workable, but perhaps an 'E' (for elderly) plate to identify older drivers might be worthwhile, so that people drive with a little more caution around them.[/QUOTE]

Yes a great idea, we could have E elderly, or S for seniors, or A for Asian, or I for Indian, or B for British etc etc etc.
P plates haven't worked so why should any other labeling system?
Old 22-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #41
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

L plates work, and P plates, debatable ... I find them handy (I can either expect someone that's indecisive or has a deathwish). And anyone driving a Camry can be relied to be a complete waste of time on the road....
Old 22-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #42
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
Quote:
Yes a great idea, we could have E elderly, or S for seniors, or A for Asian, or I for Indian, or B for British etc etc etc.
P plates haven't worked so why should any other labeling system?
Maybe on that we could include orange flashing lights and beepers? How about putting red lights at intersections? Now that would stop a lot of accidents.
Old 22-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #43
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
L plates work, and P plates, debatable ... I find them handy (I can either expect someone that's indecisive or has a deathwish). And anyone driving a Camry can be relied to be a complete waste of time on the road....
L platers have a driver with them which is probably why they work. Once you are on your own and have 'control', the mindset changes in a lot of drivers - well thats what I think.
Old 22-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #44
monzie

Quote:
Yes, agree L plates do work, always give learner more time and space. Everybody was in that situation at some time in there life.
As for Camry drivers....
Old 22-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I for Indian, or B for British etc etc etc.
Nah you don't need those plates, if you need to identidy Indian drivers keep an eye out for the yellow Falcons or white Toyota Camry on the roads
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #46
XG_Falcon

I don't know what you guys were arguing about, reads to me like he had total control over the vehicle.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
I don't know what you guys were arguing about, reads to me like he had total control over the vehicle.
He just doesn't like boats, cars, camper trailers and garages.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #48
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Until you know ALL the facts keep your pathetic opinions to yourself. Your neighbors may say similar comments about your driving.
Keyboard warrior.

I don't understand all the fuss about retesting elderly drivers. It's nothing personal, the body and brain just get a bit slower with age and for everyone else's safety they should be tested.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #49
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Here are the NSW requirements.
yet in Vic, all the VicRoads web site has to say is
Quote:
Drivers 75 years of age or older

If you are 75 years of age or older, VicRoads at its discretion, will only grant you a driver licence for a maximum of three years. At the end of each three year period, the licence will be renewed for a further three years.
I can't find any reference to needing any medical checks - looks like it is all self monitored. Another reason for harmonising Road Rules?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #50
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I can't find any reference to needing any medical checks - looks like it is all self monitored. Another reason for harmonising Road Rules?
I think you will find that medical checks fall back to your GP - regardless of age but based more on your history and prognosis.
Old 22-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #51
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, agree L plates do work, always give learner more time and space. Everybody was in that situation at some time in there life.
As for Camry drivers....
I had a Camry (Vienta Touring manual) many years ago - it was driven unlike typical Camry and best sleeper ever :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #52
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Many elderly drivers do have restricted licences. They may be restricted to a X km radius from home.

I can't see a problem with them having a "R" plate, for arguments sake, so other drivers are aware that they don't have that 100% driving ability, and we should be more aware and make allowances, and have patience for them.

Can't see that working though, as many drivers have the "this is my road" attitude.
Get out of my way.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #53
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

My dad is 85 and he has to do all the yearly medical tests etc...

I'd back him against so many drivers that I see every day, it's not funny!

My mum on the other hand.......(not being sexist, but she is hopeless god love her!)
Old 22-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have seen the exact same reports.
Yes there are more fatalities in the <25's bracket, but when you look at the the amount >70's drive, there is more fatalities for the amount of distance covered.
Some people can't seam to comprehend the difference between raw numbers and ratios.
According to the TAC, your risk drops the older you get, until you get to the 50-59 group your risk starts to climb again

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safet.../older-drivers

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safet...ver-statistics

Last edited by Ben73; 22-11-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post