Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #31
Dez
Banned

at least i know they'll never stop p platers driving my car....lol

if they do, kill us all....its de-tuned mo-ped time
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #32
lizardmech

Ahahaha no V8s or turbos? Just as well theres never been any fast non turbo 6 or 4 cylinder cars produced... I mean the nissan 350z, mazda rx-8, honda s2000, porsche boxster S, 911, 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS, renault clio 182 sport, honda integra type R, honda NSX, honda civic type R, TVR tuscan, mitsubishi FTO, BMW m3, older bmw M5, bmw Z4 3.0L and alfa 147 GTA arnt fast cars are they.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #33
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ I'm fairly certain that they will realise that their anti v8 policy doesnt cover all "performance" cars. I'm sure they will bring in a power to weight ratio like they have with bikes
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #34
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
^ I'm fairly certain that they will realise that their anti v8 policy doesnt cover all "performance" cars. I'm sure they will bring in a power to weight ratio like they have with bikes
I doubt it Vicroads still can't even calculate to power to weight ratios correctly and don't seem to understand that power to weight ratios are constanlty going up on every new model, they have banned some base model BA already.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:28 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Ahahaha no V8s or turbos? Just as well theres never been any fast non turbo 6 or 4 cylinder cars produced... I mean the nissan 350z, mazda rx-8, honda s2000, porsche boxster S, 911, 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS, renault clio 182 sport, honda integra type R, honda NSX, honda civic type R, TVR tuscan, mitsubishi FTO, BMW m3, older bmw M5, bmw Z4 3.0L and alfa 147 GTA arnt fast cars are they.
Seems like a pretty small loophole to expect 18yr old P platers to afford the majority of those cars.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 11:49 PM   #36
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Seems like a pretty small loophole to expect 18yr old P platers to afford the majority of those cars.
Second hand Zs and RX-8s will be cheap enough in a few years, clios and some other fast hatches are down to $20,000 these days or you can just mod a 6 cylinder falcon. Its pretty stupid that they decided to make a rule that specifically targets Australian performance cars while any P plater with rich parents could easily buy a performance car.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #37
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Second hand Zs and RX-8s will be cheap enough in a few years, clios and some other fast hatches are down to $20,000 these days or you can just mod a 6 cylinder falcon. Its pretty stupid that they decided to make a rule that specifically targets Australian performance cars while any P plater with rich parents could easily buy a performance car.
I still think Z's and RX-8's will hold their value enough and will only be cheap enough when they're entirely clapped out.

When I bought my first car, it was under the supervision of my parents. I guess they knew I was a hoon and they wanted to make sure I didn't drive something I was going to smear myself all over (my mother always hated cleaning up after me).

What they're currently targetting is simplistic, perhaps that will change. Perhaps there will be a banned cars list somewhere down the track. Perhaps they'll realise that without adequate driver training, they're only tacking one source of the problem, who knows right now. The law in the first place seems to have come suddenly out of right field, when I first heard about it I thought it was someone taking the ****, but I seriously see nothing wrong with limiting what young, inexperienced drivers can drive in their first 3 years on the road.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 12:16 AM   #38
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TT Zeds are cheap as when you think about it. To buy anyways but to uphold is a different matter. The only way you wil pay big bucks is for low kms and the guaretee they havent been thrashed for these sort of cars.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 12:23 AM   #39
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ok guys.. expect to see many XR6 Turbos out there without the "Turbo" badge. Or, how about a BA GT with a "diesel" sticker on the back :
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #40
hqtunna
FNTUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
As Im just off my P's, I can understand why people would be annoyed. But if you can come up with a logical reason why a P plater HAS to have a hi-po car then be my guest
Why does anyone need a high powered car??? Its just up your personal preference and if some dumb shits recon its a good idea to go 150kph in a 60 zone then they get whats coming to them and the government should'nt put the blame on the whole turbo and v8 community.

I live in the ACT and its a good thing the government didnt agree with NSW even though it wouldn't effect me coz i already have my p's.

its all just a ploy from the government to get votes and they had to do something because they were gettin all this critisicms from the media until they finally caved in.
hqtunna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #41
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I still think Z's and RX-8's will hold their value enough and will only be cheap enough when they're entirely clapped out.

When I bought my first car, it was under the supervision of my parents. I guess they knew I was a hoon and they wanted to make sure I didn't drive something I was going to smear myself all over (my mother always hated cleaning up after me).

What they're currently targetting is simplistic, perhaps that will change. Perhaps there will be a banned cars list somewhere down the track. Perhaps they'll realise that without adequate driver training, they're only tacking one source of the problem, who knows right now. The law in the first place seems to have come suddenly out of right field, when I first heard about it I thought it was someone taking the ****, but I seriously see nothing wrong with limiting what young, inexperienced drivers can drive in their first 3 years on the road.
Its not like you can get a fast v8 that cheap either the mid 90s ones arnt exactly fast unless you mod them. They are not really tackling an legitimate issue they are just making a law because of media pressure and the fact they are completely incompetant and unable to do their job properly.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:41 AM   #42
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well... i have a question about this 1 person as a passenger if you have your licence disqualified? Does this ONLY apply to people that have lost their licence after July 11th? Yes, i have lost my licence, due to speeding, doing 85 in a 60 (mind you i was going down and then UP a massive hill)... in a 1.6L... so you can speed in any car, just takes longer to get there.

I feel really sorry to my 18yo cousin.... she ordered a Mini Cooper S Cabrio with the JCW kit on it in early January (her and her husband) and she is still on her Ls... and the car arrives in Late July.... a TOTAL waste of $70, 000 as she cant drive it anymore for 3 years!!!!! But, what is strange is that the car has the same power as a Renault Clio Sport, which is a na4..... the logic?!

As i mentioned above, yes i have lost my licence, but DAMN ive learnt my lesson, and hope i NEVER speed again, because having your car sitting in the drive way really hurts... and public transport is a pain in the back side. So really, ive learnt my lesson, and im sure all others that lose their licence for 3 months have as well... that extra 12 month punishment is just bull$h!t

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #43
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just out of curiousity how old are you?

And what kind of P plater drives a M3! If parents are buying their kids NSX's, as you say, then they need there head checked; regardless of how much cash they have.

A law has to be made so it can apply to everyone. There are always going to be exceptions.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #44
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Some older V8 cars "are less powerful than modern cars with six cylinder engines", NRMA chief Tony Stuart said.

oh so true.... shows how stupid the new laws in NSW will be, and how stupid they are currently in VIC.

the thing is though that anyone can buy a car that when standard is within the limits, and mod it so it is way beyond the power to weight. It just isn't genuinely enforceable imo.

And what are the chances of this actually being enforced? it certainly ain't an issue on the cops mind down here in VIC :
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #45
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
And what kind of P plater drives a M3!
2 of them went to my school.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 08-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #46
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep guy I know through work got a new 350Z at 18/19, just got the second and third 42" plasma screens :
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #47
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Just out of curiousity how old are you?

And what kind of P plater drives a M3!
the ones in the same financial situation as those that spend massive amounts on their rexes, with custom paint and interiors, performance mods etc....yet have no interest in imports....they may be inclined to drive an M3
Old 08-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #48
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

ive seen a ferrari f355 going round numerous times in the lygon st/chaps/coburg area..

and a merc SL55 going round the essendon area.. both on numerous equations..

now not sure about the second one, but the first blows power to weight thru the roof.. but does it stop people?

its all useles..

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #49
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoitaliano
ive seen a ferrari f355 going round numerous times in the lygon st/chaps/coburg area..

now not sure about the second one, but the first blows power to weight thru the roof.. but does it stop people?

its all useles..
Most people don't even seem to know it exists, in the last 3 months I have heard a senior police offical state there is no power to weight law and the herald sun ran a story demanding a P plater power restriction. Vicroads didn't put it in the book they give you when I got my license either. If you download the actual list from the vicroads websites you will find it is full of mathematical errors, inccorrect model names, imaginary models that don't exist and cars that were never even sold here. Its not suprising its not enforced.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #50
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

i love how at the bottom it says "this is not the complete lists.. ring vicroads to be sure" or something along those lines..

why cant we just have a full, correct, complete list to refer to.. it really isnt that hard!

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #51
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Its not suprising its not enforced.
It's being enforced a lot more than it used to be.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #52
buickman
buickman

I don't think banning P platers from performance cars is solving the problem. Education and goverment paid compulsary driving courses for young 1st time drivers could help some to understand how deadly the roads can be and understand that one testostrone fuel moment could end lives & be another satistic with flowers and a X on a pole or roadside.

But in the end a ******** will always be a ******** and be more of a risk than the average driver of being in a accident either driving a hyundi or V8 and being a P plater or someone with 5-10 years driving experience would not matter .
I've worked with those type of characters and if an accident occured at the workplace with forklifts or cranes they were always involved and had regular car accidents or police infringments for over .05.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:52 AM   #53
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoitaliano

its all useles..
with P plates? omg! thats insanity
Old 09-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #54
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
with P plates? omg! thats insanity
Pretty sure the Lambo Gallardo with plates "ROOKIE" going around in Sydney is a P plater....

Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 AM   #55
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hey I've seen a red 360 spider being driven by a FEMALE P-plater... Beat that out:
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 AM   #56
One Drone
Lane HO

I don't think a Porsche 911 is harder to drive than say my fairlane, much much easier IMO. That is what they were designed for!

The passenger limit I totally support, good Idea I believe. If you do something wrong, you suffer by not being able to have more than 1 passenger for so long..
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 AM   #57
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Pretty sure the Lambo Gallardo with plates "ROOKIE" going around in Sydney is a P plater....
Quote:
Hey I've seen a red 360 spider being driven by a FEMALE P-plater... Beat that
these are just insane examples! so much for guys in their rexys. lol
Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #58
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

You already suffer by not driving for 3 months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drone
I don't think a Porsche 911 is harder to drive than say my fairlane, much much easier IMO. That is what they were designed for!

The passenger limit I totally support, good Idea I believe. If you do something wrong, you suffer by not being able to have more than 1 passenger for so long..

Old 09-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #59
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
Hey I've seen a red 360 spider being driven by a FEMALE P-plater... Beat that out:
Yeah just hope she doesnt have to park it lol
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post