Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #31
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

To highlight a couple of points here:
Here in NSW your car doesn't need a separate RWC if it is under 3yrs old;
If your car is going to cost an exhorbitant amount to RWC, then do what i used to do - buy another cheap one with 10 to 12 mths rego (will probably cost similar if you include rego and CTP to your current car);
Our "Pinkslip" is approx. $30;
The average national fleet age is currently 10yrs old. This has drastically lowered since the introduction of compulsery RWC for rego.
This should lower the average age and raise the level of passive and active vehicle safety of the national fleet. Before you all slap me, I grew up with and still love some older cars, but you'll find that the enthuisist will still keep them and "Joe Blo" will buy newer cars.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #32
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Against!

One of the best parts about living in SA is you can drive whatever you want and do whatever you want to it!!

Quote:
The only cost effective and unbiased way is to have it done thru the government department, wether its it Vic Roads, QLd DoT or whoever.. The problem then being that although you will be changed a flat $20 for example for the inspection, the government will push your redgo up $100 to cover the extra staff and still put more in the coffers..
And imagine the turnaround time?!?! The benefit of having private sector do it is they are much more efficient.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #33
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I'd have to go against. Firstly there is no way to police this sorta thing (as obviously there are alot of cars on the road)
Instaed, Maybe if VicROads became more active in trying to fight ing_sm for motorists rights to pay a resoanble price for petrol! Mayb that would be a better initiative.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #34
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Pink slip's can't be a bad thing. I know I've had things picked up each time when I've had them done.

Sure there's dodgey mechanics but if it can keep a few of the sh*tters off the road then I'm happy.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #35
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Yes, I'm sure there are some dodgy mechanics out there who may do a favour for someone and pass an unroadworthy car, but surely this would be the exception rather than the rule?
Yes it's the exception to the rule, there are way more workshops that won't touch anything dodgy. However there are plenty who will do it.

Then on the other hand you have the dodgy mechanics who will throw in a "oh yeah this is stuffed, won't pass it unless you change it mate, I can do it for $200 no worries". Take part off, give it a lick of paint and slap it back on.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #36
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
No because its pretty obvious Vicroads are far to irresponsible to run this sort of thing and will turn to revenue raising after about an entire day.
That about sums up perfectly how the Bracks Government deals with anything they can get their hands on.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #37
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'm for them as much as a pain in the a$$ they are. I'd rather people whom don't service their car regularly find out once a year through inspection, that something is faulty or unroadworthy, than it break or for it not to work while driving the car causing an accident.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #38
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Nope, too easy to get a bodgey done, no point.
I'am with you on this yep for $250 you can get 1 with right contacts.
When some lowpaid worker struggling to pay the bills for eveyday living plus time lost from work has to coff up with more money for a screen or some trivial thing. While anyone with a company car or finacally secure has not the problem.
The real problem is more unregisted & uninsured cars on the roads. The police do a good enough job now in pulling up really defective cars.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #39
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Thats a no from me too! I would hate to do an engine swap/wiring loom swap on a yearly basis :(
I hear you...
Old 03-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #40
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez guys, there's been some really thoughtful, well-constructed arguments against compulsory RWCs:
  • "It costs too much/it's revenue raising" - yeah, $28 (which is what it costs in NSW) every 12 months is crippling...
  • "I don't agree because then they'll find out about the jet engine/racing slicks/rocket launcher I've got fitted to my car" - guess what, that's exactly the kind of attitude and behaviour that compulsory RWCs are designed to eradicate
  • "There's lots of dodgy mechanics who'll pass my car so its not worth regulating" - so you believe it's safer to let people make their own determinations on what is and isn't safe on their vehicle, as well as how long they can continue driving that vehicle in that condition? I can just see thousands of average, low-income punters saying ", the brakes are running down and those front tyres are getting a little smooth - better go and get them fixed straight away!".
    Yes, there will be mechanics who will help you break the law. Hell, I'm sure I could find someone to help me purchase, say, an illegal firearm. Does that mean we should scrap rules relating to posession of firearms? The best system is probably in Canberra, where your car has to go over the ACT government pits, and they determine whether you pass or fail. This at least eradicates the dodgy mechanic scenario.

Perhaps some people could think less about the negative effect compulsory RWCs would have on them personally, and more about the benefit to the public as a whole. Owning and driving a vehicle is a privilege, not a right, and if you can't afford or are just unwilling to maintain your vehicle to set safety standards then you forfeit that privilege.
:
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #41
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$28 yeah right. Come live in Vic and see what it costs. My guess is around $100. We're already paying between $55-$85 for a r/w.

I made mine legal for that exact reason. No BS to screw around with. Hence the reason I don't run bus exhuasts on my V8. Just db legal ones. I've been through the worst pit's in Vic, Vicroads Dandenong.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 AM   #42
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

well like most people on the forums poice and vicroads avoidance is at a premiuim not brcause our cars are unroadworthy but in my eyes they are tooroadworthy lol
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 01:01 AM   #43
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they can't get you because it's legal they'll try and get you for something trivial. For example : one of mine Pollution gear! On a 74model car?!?! WTF?!?! Yes, I was picked up for pollution gear as he couldn't find anything else note worthy. A set of slicks on the back too but hey I knew about those. The officer was quite good. A warning would have been nicer though. Since I wasn't speeding etc etc. Just cruising @ 90kph. He swore it needed pollution gear and so did Vicroads. Ford yes Ford verified it never had pollution gear from the factory. If it was a 75mdl it would have had a charcoal canister. Canary off in 48 hours with the 1st 24 hours being a public holiday.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #44
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
$28 yeah right. Come live in Vic and see what it costs. My guess is around $100. We're already paying between $55-$85 for a r/w.

I made mine legal for that exact reason. No BS to screw around with. Hence the reason I don't run bus exhuasts on my V8. Just db legal ones. I've been through the worst pit's in Vic, Vicroads Dandenong.
$100? I think your still underestimating Brenx. TAC will probably somehow make it one of their areas.... and the $300 a year is on the cards.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #45
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
$100? I think your still underestimating Brenx. TAC will probably somehow make it one of their areas.... and the $300 a year is on the cards.
Is that so as the head honcho can pay for his lunches and junkets etc?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #46
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

I am with FastXR on this one guys. I whinged alot about my car costing so much to get it up to Pink Slip status, but I did it anyway because I WANT MY CAR TO BE ROADWORTHY. Simple. I knew things were wrong with it but didn't know how much until it was taken for the Pink Slip, and I was just so shocked! lol

And you can tell the bodgy mechanics from the non-bodgy. I had three of them, totally unknown to each other, tell me exactly the same things were wrong with the car. Also one other pointed out things that were not needed to pass rego, but still needed to be done soonish. And they showed me the bits that were stuffed and I saw why these things needed to be done.

Because of this system, in NSW we seem to have a fair few bangers but mostly cars are kept in pretty decent nick. We all live out in the sticks and commute to the major towns/city to get to work and need our cars to be good and reliable... because the public transport system SUCKS.

There are some mechanics out there who are bodgy, but if they try it on me ("oh that'll do ya luv") then I take my car elsewhere. I want the truth dammit, no matter how much it hurts the hip pocket.

Although I lustfully think of Victoria as a safe haven (apart from all those freaking speed cameras)...

OH btw, my pink slip cost me $40.80, because of a) GST and b) on an LPG car there's the extra testing involved (gas tank lines etc).

And the amount is statewide. Nobody can charge more or less for this service, it is compulsory to charge the same amount everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #47
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it should be compulsary - gets the heaps of the road, and ensures people actually buy new tyres.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #48
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Because of this system, in NSW we seem to have a fair few bangers but mostly cars are kept in pretty decent nick. We all live out in the sticks and commute to the major towns/city to get to work and need our cars to be good and reliable... because the public transport system SUCKS.
A roadworthy doesnt give you a guarantee that the car will be reliable, it only states that your car is in a safe driveable condition, unless its different in NSW and you get a nice warranty for your $28.

Quote:
"I don't agree because then they'll find out about the jet engine/racing slicks/rocket launcher I've got fitted to my car" - guess what, that's exactly the kind of attitude and behaviour that compulsory RWCs are designed to eradicate
This kind of thing would put my car off the road, can you honestly think that the car I drive should be categorised with all the heaps you see around with blue smoke pouring out the tailpipe? Its in awesome condition, every suspension component is less the 30,000kms old, the tires are brand new, the brakes which are much safer and have way more stopping power than most road going cars these days are less than 20,000kms old but my car would be deemed unroadworthy because Im not prepared to give into the EPA and spend $3000 on an emission test to prove my car is emission legal.

In NSW this test is free and supplied by the RTA.

Maybe the Vic transport department should work on making things easier for people who want to modify their car and do it legally instead of blatant revenue raising.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #49
bindi

Quote:
A roadworthy doesnt give you a guarantee that the car will be reliable, it only states that your car is in a safe driveable condition, unless its different in NSW and you get a nice warranty for your $28.
Yeah I know what you are saying but the thing with Pink Slips is they normally say "Oh this part is dying too by the way, it's not necessary for rego but I think you should get it fixed soon because..." or "You will make it through this rego with this issue but you should try and get it fixed cos it won't make it next time" or "This is going to kill you if you don't get it done asap, but I can't fail it".

So yes, I think they help you keep it in a driveable condition and also a bit more reliable because they point out stuff that you may not have known about or is on the way out.

Also because of this system, a heck of a lot of ppl try to earn the money to keep changing their cars every 3 years so they don't have to worry about Pink Slips :

Quote:
Old 04-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #50
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I know what you are saying but the thing with Pink Slips is they normally say "Oh this part is dying too by the way, it's not necessary for rego but I think you should get it fixed soon because..." or "You will make it through this rego with this issue but you should try and get it fixed cos it won't make it next time" or "This is going to kill you if you don't get it done asap, but I can't fail it".
Any mechanic can check these things out for you for around $40. My family gets our local mechanic to look at cars we are going to buy before we buy them and we get a rundown exactly like the one you described.

It shouldnt be made compulsory.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #51
bindi

Quote:
Any mechanic can check these things out for you for around $40. My family gets our local mechanic to look at cars we are going to buy before we buy them and we get a rundown exactly like the one you described.

It shouldnt be made compulsory.
Yes it should imho, because if ppl aren't forced to do it, they won't. Not everyone is a car lover or understands how they work or CARE. Most ppl just want to get in their cars and drive. And if they are not forced to take care of it, they won't. They might take it to a mechanic if it makes a noise or feels a bit odd, but not always. They'll just put up with it till it dies.

Like Tim the Toolman's wife (was it Jill?) who, when questioned about why she didn't tell him the oil light had come on, said "I thought if it was really urgent it would get brighter"!!!

Quote:
Old 04-08-2005, 10:10 AM   #52
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So everyone else has to suffer becuase of these people? If they want to run the risk let them.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #53
bindi

Yes we all do... it's the same with everyone. All P Platers are tarred with the same HOON IRRESPONSIBLE brush, all redheads have bad tempers, and LIFE'S NOT FAIR.

Get used to it buddy... :(

Quote:
Old 04-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #54
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good thing its not compulsory here yet then.

I dont like having to put up with more crap because others are too stupid to help themselves.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #55
bindi

Well it will be soon enough... sad but true. Enjoy it while it lasts

Quote:
Old 04-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #56
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good thing I know a good RWC guy
Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No thanks,
if they did it to the letter of the law 70% of modified cars would be put of the roads and the aftermarket industry would slowly dry up...
Or.. a whole blackmarket for bodgey RWC's would open up.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #58
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The modified car scene in NSW is huge - all it does is stop the bodgy dangerous, glaringly obvious mods, its not such a big bad thing.

I understand what dan is saying about the emissions tests though and think if it was to become legal then the emissions tests should become free in VIC.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #59
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The modified car scene in NSW is huge - all it does is stop the bodgy dangerous, glaringly obvious mods, its not such a big bad thing.

I understand what dan is saying about the emissions tests though and think if it was to become legal then the emissions tests should become free in VIC.
Have to agree, You'll find insurance more of a worry mod wise than an annual pink slip! unless your mods are dangerous ones they wont raise eyebrows, and if the are they shouldn't be on the roads anyway.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #60
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes we all do... it's the same with everyone. All P Platers are tarred with the same HOON IRRESPONSIBLE brush, all redheads have bad tempers, and LIFE'S NOT FAIR.

Get used to it buddy... :(
Every P plater has fear put into them for the time they display P's it's common. To whine about it prooves fruitless as police won't stop doing that.

At a gustimate if I added up the amount of times I got pulled up in my stock engined, 2.0 escort Rally pack with a sports exhuast, I'd be in the hundreds maybe thousands. The car was just over 10yo. Some days I'd get pulled over 3 times. They check my license and they gave me a breatho. Off I went no skin off my nose. It got to the point they knew me by name before I even got out my license. Least they got to do their quota with my help.