Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #31
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAU1
Any pics yet ?
Pics of what? a new oxy sensor?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #32
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Pics of what? a new oxy sensor?
Lame i know, but yes.

Do i have to beware of anything when replacing it ??
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #33
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
yeah a hot exhaust ! .. hehehe , just make sure you let the car cool down fully before you do it . :

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #34
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Only time will tell. Im hoping LPG isnt as hard on these leads and plugs as it is normally.
Sorry to tell you, but LPG is a LOT harder on plugs. You will be lucky if they last half as long.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #35
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Lame i know, but yes.

Ooopps, sorry forgot all about it! Were you after a picture of the sensor itself?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Yeah, I saw the ad but it mentions nothing about being a Bosch sensor (except for the pic).
I got one as well - for $70, I thought why not? They are bosch, they are new, and it is the same part number for AU I6 and V8s (just the 8s take 2) - Part Number 0 258 006 165. $70 odd is way cheaper than the $180 I've been quoted elsewhere. Funny thing is, from Ford, a new O2 sensor is $280 odd for the 6s, and $160 each for the 8s. Go figure.

F5MZ 9F472 B SENSOR HEGO $285.00
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #37
XR6Stu

I might have to get get hold of a new sensor. DO they really make that much of a difference?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #38
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
I might have to get get hold of a new sensor. DO they really make that much of a difference?
Only if the old ones no good. new ones are a nice bronze/coppery colour. Old ones are very black and crusted with carbon deposits. The blacker they are, the less effective they are. If your car has done 70,000+ km, it wouldn't hurt to change the O2 sensor(s).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #39
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I got one as well - for $70, I thought why not? They are bosch, they are new
Thanks JC, sounds good to me then. Ill order a couple for the ute.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Thanks JC, sounds good to me then. Ill order a couple for the ute.
Would you need 2? Wouldn't 1 & 3/4 be enough??? :nutsycuck

Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 AM   #41
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Would you need 2? Wouldn't 1 & 3/4 be enough??? :nutsycuck
lol.....smartar s e :P

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #42
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

These 02 sensors make me wonder , like in doing to a sparkplug / to an extent / is it possible to just remove/clean the carbon rubbish off the sensor without damaging it ? , obviouslly it still wouldn't be as good as new , but it would have to work better you would think if all the carbon buildup was cleaned off the sensor end ?? .

Maybe its possible to just remove and clean the sensor / maybe at least once / to get a half decent 2nd cycle out of it before buying a new one ?.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #43
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
These 02 sensors make me wonder , like in doing to a sparkplug / to an extent / is it possible to just remove/clean the carbon rubbish off the sensor without damaging it ? , obviouslly it still wouldn't be as good as new , but it would have to work better you would think if all the carbon buildup was cleaned off the sensor end ?? .

Maybe its possible to just remove and clean the sensor / maybe at least once / to get a half decent 2nd cycle out of it before buying a new one ?.
i guess you probably could, give it a try and see if it makes a difference, then you can let everyone know lol...i dunno what you could use to clean it with though..
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #44
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Only if the old ones no good. new ones are a nice bronze/coppery colour. Old ones are very black and crusted with carbon deposits. The blacker they are, the less effective they are. If your car has done 70,000+ km, it wouldn't hurt to change the O2 sensor(s).
Hahah, mine has done over 200,000! I reckon I should change it hey! Could be a plan.
Old 13-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #45
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Well i tried just cleaning mine off. When i removed it it was pretty black and had exhaust deposit/buildup on it lightlly .I just used my small toothbrush size brass wire brush to clean it up roughly , then used some metho on a cloth to clean of any stain etc ( it came up pretty clean / you could use isophrophyl/100% alcohol too np) , then just boiled it in RO/Distilled Ph0/nuteral water for 10 mins. Then just shook it off / wipe it dry and installed it again , i also used a drop of locktight for good measure .
( I have used test equipment / sensors etc etc in the past that are alot like a cars o2 sensor / except they didnt have exhaust crap all over them ..lol, and yes it is safe to boil it , and there is reason for doing it too ;) )

I have had good results , works fine , but also brought on worse economy as i expected ! - ....

My idle is better , it accelerates better - all this was extremely noticable , and also my dte reading going 'down' faster than usual was noticable too !...lol.. I had a funny feeling this would happen , with power gain you expect more fuel usage sorta , but i had the idea that if the sensor was cleaner then it would say "hey i can breath again" / thus getting more oxygen/o2 ... so .. the ecu says "Oooo the car has heaps of 02 in the exhaust so i better add more fuel to richen it up and get the mix right" , thus using more fuel !.

So it seems they are cleanable no worries , i couldn't recomend for how many cleans though, and if the sensor had a crack of any sort or anything like that in it then it would definatelly have to be replaced anyway.

To sum it up, although for the bit more fuel usage im not too fussed , as the car is running heaps better/smoother and better acceleration again. Since i did get the sorta results i expected , i did a bit of hunting around to find out if i was on track and found this small article on oxygen sensors , very good explination of what they do and how they work ( for those not to sure ) , for those wanting to have a read check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

cheers .

Old 13-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #46
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Sorry to tell you, but LPG is a LOT harder on plugs. You will be lucky if they last half as long.
If you see my thread in AU projects, my plugs dont look to bad at all. Turns out they have been in my car since 50000. So, they lasted 60k without much issue.

But yes, I fear I will indeed be proven wrong when the car begins to back fire miserably. in around 20k time, i hope.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #47
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well i tried just cleaning mine off. When i removed it it was pretty black and had exhaust deposit/buildup on it lightlly .I just used my small toothbrush size brass wire brush to clean it up roughly , then used some metho on a cloth to clean of any stain etc ( it came up pretty clean / you could use isophrophyl/100% alcohol too np) , then just boiled it in RO/Distilled Ph0/nuteral water for 10 mins. Then just shook it off / wipe it dry and installed it again , i also used a drop of locktight for good measure .
( I have used test equipment / sensors etc etc in the past that are alot like a cars o2 sensor / except they didnt have exhaust crap all over them ..lol, and yes it is safe to boil it , and there is reason for doing it too ;) )

I have had good results , works fine , but also brought on worse economy as i expected ! - ....

My idle is better , it accelerates better - all this was extremely noticable , and also my dte reading going 'down' faster than usual was noticable too !...lol.. I had a funny feeling this would happen , with power gain you expect more fuel usage sorta , but i had the idea that if the sensor was cleaner then it would say "hey i can breath again" / thus getting more oxygen/o2 ... so .. the ecu says "Oooo the car has heaps of 02 in the exhaust so i better add more fuel to richen it up and get the mix right" , thus using more fuel !.

So it seems they are cleanable no worries , i couldn't recomend for how many cleans though, and if the sensor had a crack of any sort or anything like that in it then it would definatelly have to be replaced anyway.

To sum it up, although for the bit more fuel usage im not too fussed , as the car is running heaps better/smoother and better acceleration again. Since i did get the sorta results i expected , i did a bit of hunting around to find out if i was on track and found this small article on oxygen sensors , very good explination of what they do and how they work ( for those not to sure ) , for those wanting to have a read check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

cheers .
perhaps it might take take a few days for the computer to recalibrate with changed inputs, economy might improve down the road time will tell
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #48
XR6Stu

Didnt the original post say that the economy was better with a new o2 sensor?
Old 14-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #49
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
Didnt the original post say that the economy was better with a new o2 sensor?
Ok, i should probably make it a bit clearer why i have worse fuel economy than before / but smoother running again and better throttle response again.

For starters , i allready have a K&N flat panel filer an 2 extra cai's from behind the grill. When i originally added these items a few months back i did get slight increase in throttle response and better fuel economy.
After a few months the car had started to run a tadd rough on idle / slight jolts ( like its missing ) in low rpm ranges when cruising and a slight loss in power .... but ! - my economy had gone down over the last few months too since i had installed the 2 extra cai's and K&N filter.

Basically the car was ruinning rough latelly , but the economy was lower than ever before with the K&N and CAI's ( down to around 10L/100km ! ) , but yeah it was getting rough . Since i cleaned the O2 sensor the power and fuel economy has gone back to about what it was when i first installed the K&N filter and CAI's a few months back.

So my economy is higher again , but by no means is it higher than what it should be/ or higher than waat it originally was when i first installed the K&N and CAI's .

I hope that clears it up a bit , cheers .

Old 14-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #50
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Ok, i should probably make it a bit clearer why i have worse fuel economy than before / but smoother running again and better throttle response again.

For starters , i allready have a K&N flat panel filer an 2 extra cai's from behind the grill. When i originally added these items a few months back i did get slight increase in throttle response and better fuel economy.
After a few months the car had started to run a tadd rough on idle / slight jolts ( like its missing ) in low rpm ranges when cruising and a slight loss in power .... but ! - my economy had gone down over the last few months too since i had installed the 2 extra cai's and K&N filter.

Basically the car was ruinning rough latelly , but the economy was lower than ever before with the K&N and CAI's ( down to around 10L/100km ! ) , but yeah it was getting rough . Since i cleaned the O2 sensor the power and fuel economy has gone back to about what it was when i first installed the K&N filter and CAI's a few months back.

So my economy is higher again , but by no means is it higher than what it should be/ or higher than waat it originally was when i first installed the K&N and CAI's .

I hope that clears it up a bit , cheers .
Do you think maybe it's drinking more because it's more responsive and you might be enjoying that extra response?!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #51
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Do you think maybe it's drinking more because it's more responsive and you might be enjoying that extra response?!
not really , it just seems now that my air/fuel mixture seems to be better / it must be / its running smoother again and as responsive as when i first installed the K&N and CAI's a few months back....

lets put it this way, i can see why guys on here got better economy and better throttle response when installing the 3 items / as i got better economy and throttle response too just using number 1 & 2 .

1. larger or extra CAI's.
2. K&N filter.
3. O2 sensor.

Before i added just the K&N and CAI's months back, i was roughlly using around 16L/100km.

After adding the K&N and CAI's , over the next few months i was down to around 12L/100km.

Now after a few months it had dropped even lower , to around 10L/100km , but it was running rougher at idle and giving the occasional miss in the low rev range ( cruising in 4th etc ) , it had also seemed to have lost a bit of the throttle response.

NOw after cleaning the O2 sensor just recentlly, the car is now what it was like again when i first installed the 2 extra CAI's and K&N air filter. I have my throttle response back / its running smoother again etc etc , and im also back to about 12L/100km ...

So Hopefully that clears it up a bit ! ..lol , my economy is up on what it was just recentlly , but no-where back in the range it originally was before the CAI's and K&N too, but it was too low anyway just recentlly and the car was running not as good as could be. All is much better again now i have cleaned the sensor and im back on around 12L/100km again now with good throttle response and smooth running again , im happy , it was worth cleaning it , it did make a difference ! ;) ..

If you check out that small link i posted back a few posts, it sorta explains the wall i hit when i cleaned mine. Although im using that tadd more fuel again now than just recentlly , really the fuel/air ratio is back to where it should be now i think.

cheers.

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 14-09-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #52
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Ooopps, sorry forgot all about it! Were you after a picture of the sensor itself?
Yes, I have the new sensor ready to fit, but for the life of me i cant find where it is...

what do i have to do to replace it ?

unplug first ?
unscrew counter clockwise like normal ?

how tight do i have to tighten it back up ?

anything else to be aware/careful of ?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #53
HLC
Audi S3

i bought an xr6t snorkel the otherday. marginally better throttle response. probably mind over matter crap.

but the induction noise is way cool :P

also my trip computer is all over the shop : must have been reset somehow :S ????

on monday goin to the beach it said 14.4L/100km and today on the way to work it said 13.1L/100km. which is weird because for the last 8 months its been locked on 14.2 hmmmmmm
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #54
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
on monday goin to the beach it said 14.4L/100km and today on the way to work it said 13.1L/100km. which is weird because for the last 8 months its been locked on 14.2 hmmmmmm
Probably due to the better throttle response . Although you are probably using the same amount of foot on the accelerator , it's picking up quicker and using more fuel in the process too ... hehehe. You can allways go to backing the foot of a bit more than usual now , it will probably sound like its not trying as hard as before , but it gets to speed just as quick. :

Definatelly worth the few bux they are . ;) , cheers .

Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #55
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Probably due to the better throttle response . Although you are probably using the same amount of foot on the accelerator , it's picking up quicker and using more fuel in the process too ... hehehe. You can allways go to backing the foot of a bit more than usual now , it will probably sound like its not trying as hard as before , but it gets to speed just as quick. :

Definatelly worth the few bux they are . ;) , cheers .
well the economy as the computer said, fluctuated by 1.3 litres in 5 days, where the snorkel only went on on the 3rd day. i dont know whats up with it hahaha. it does seem a bit more revvy, but i think its more a mind over matter thing. the difference in real honesty is probably SFA, as shown by dyno graphs etc.

EDIT: i figured it out now LOL. i had my new sterring wheel put on, on wednesday, thus the battery would have been disconnected resetting the computer explaining my all over the shop economy readings.

Last edited by HLC; 08-10-2006 at 07:45 PM.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #56
snozzau
Starter Motor

Just to add to this -$70 is a damn good price.
Tried an aftermarket shop and was quoted $166,then tried the local rip off ford dealer and was quoted $366!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is this item a genuine Bosch unit.?
Scott
snozzau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #57
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzau
Is this item a genuine Bosch unit.?
Scott
yes it is

Old 20-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #58
Abacus
Life's a Gas

EFI Parts Australia - $72

EFI Parts Australia
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post