Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #601
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What is stopping you buying some land and building some?

Of course the rents would not be so high if all the miners were not being paid so much more than tradesmen doing equal work in other places.......
Lol no land here ...the little that may become available will only be allocated to mining company anyway . I didn't build when land was offered to me as the families that have been here since day dot , said not to . Rent prices are not due to wages they are due to available profits to contractor companies needing accomadation to provide the service to the mines .they will pay at any cost ,because say a four bedroom house , it can have several rotating crews of 4 , with potential for 12 so the cost of say 3000 a week is spread over several men .

And essentially the mine adds this in their cost of services ( which they can't get by without ) .many houses are now going for close to mill ...good if you own one not so good for a miner with family to buy .

I now have a couple on my crew leaving due to cost of living , others that are leaving for the city with their house rented at 3500 thou a week , as their repayments were to much for what

they earn , but triple their income if they leave .

I don't know this is all gunna end its no good for families ...and I'm only lucky I'm in a company owned house , or I would go as well .
Old 22-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #602
Combat Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Wombat. You didn't anwser the question mate.
Would you mind if these camps, which can accommodate 1500-2500 people, be erected in your backyard or community?
I'm pretty sure you or your neighbours would not like the idea one bit.

Lets step back a little way before this gets totally out of hand. It is no secret that large mining companies are looking at FIFO. They have to, according to them, to tap into the labour shortage. Ok. I can accept that......for the moment.
What I fail to understand is there is land available here and has been developed for housing yet it is not being released. It has been ongoing for years now. I'm talking seven odd years here. Release the land. It has already been subdivided and allow people the option of bring there families to the place where they work and keep the family unit alive.
I have probably mentioned it already. I too have lived in camps both here and overseas, but never right next to a township or in it as is the developing case around here. I have been one of the lucky ones that never received a phone call or message from my partner saying, I've had enough. I leaving. I got out before that occurred and became a family again. But I saw it once to often to ignore the signs. Grown men shattered as all their hard work and sacrafice gone down the tube in just a few short words.
It's all well and good for a period of say twelve to sixteen months, but then it turns sour. As I was a supervisor at the time, my main responsibility was for the well being of my men. If they are not focused and fit for work, they become a hazard to themselves and others. I have had to council and take men home because they are emotionally compromised, and what makes it worse is the fact that they go back to their little box room with no one to talk to and no means of travel the 1100 plus kms to discuss the issue with the ones involved. It is the lowest feeling a man can have.
But, there are also those relationships that thrive on being apart. Mine? Well, I'd prefer to be apart of my kids life and help in watching them grow into as balanced a persons as they can be. To achieve that, the family unit has to survive as a partnership.
Governments have been pulling money from these small communities and give little in return. High revenue and income areas, not much is injected back. Our roads are a disgrace and no infrastructure invested into the communities to assist in their growth. Town water, sewerage, etc hasn't changed much in the eleven yrs I have been here, and counsil has been saying it was at capacity back then. If so, why introduce further strain on the system by allowing massive camps etc to be erected within communities where people shop, children walk to school and the elderly take their afternoon and early morning strolls.
I do however understand what large industry is asking and say. The township, in it's current state cannot accomodate for such large amounts of people. Fine. Where are our local and state governemnts when you need them? Invest in these communities and not allow them to just be raped as they are home to many families.
The camps. Put them on the mine sites as they were forty years ago. Fence them off and keep everyone inside unless there is a particular need for the individuals to enter the community (I believe this is what maybe going to happen).
If you are young and single as I was once, camp life is ok ...........but you soon get tired of it.
There are many other factors that arise with camps. Some of which are not pleasant. There have been numerous cases where women have been sexually assaulted and raped. Personally, I don't want that sort of business happening over my back fence. Would you?
I could rattle on about this all day with the pros and con of it all, but I have to stop somewhere. I have mixed feelings about camps in and around, close to family communities, and for good reason which I will not enter into. Either way, I'm only a small pea in a big pod and my opinions and values account for nothing when there is billions of dollars to be made and politicians palms to grease.
I understand what you are saying fully. I was merely suggesting ideas, not trying to solve the problem. As for broken homes and relationships, unfortunately the mining industry isn't the only one to have it. Believe it or not it happens in the ADF regularly. Outcomes that come out of those start minimal to the extreme; being problem worked out, spouse returns from deployment of so long expecting to come home to wife, kids and hard earned cash. Instead comes home, finds his house completely empty (Except on the odd occasion his fridge or something maybe there and believe it or not alot of the time they seem to take the ice trays to add insult in injury. Wife and kids gone, wife shacked up with joe blow and kids being brain washed. Bank accounts completely empty/ drained/ zilch. I am talking 80k + gone!

As for the camps in peoples backyards. How big is said back yard? 60-100km from say Mackay still in their backyard? Obviously you are going to have smaller communities a lot closer to the mines that can and probably will be effected, but unfortunately it happens. If Defence can deploy to a country set up a fully functioning camp with messing facilities, sporting and gym, stores and fast food outlets etc I can't understand why a mining company that thrives on FIFO workers can't offer something of similar value.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #603
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Positions Vacant:

Deputies (Underground) - Gujarat NRE

I work for GNRE. It's an Indian company with it's own Coking business over in India. Job security is pretty good with both our mines in expansion mode and several 100's of millions of dollars invesment going on. Our mines are in Wollongong, NSW.

4 day midweek rosters and fairly decent renumeration.

Resumes to jobs@gujaratnre.com.au or by post to PO Box 281, Fairy Meadow NSW 2519

Phone enquiries please call: Val Dale 0400446512 or Bill Kolevski 0448125132

Further info on Gujarat NRE available from the WEBSITE

__________________________________________________ ______________

Positions Vacant:

Electrical/Instrument Superintendent
Operations Process Engineer
Electrical/Instrumentation Fitters (HV Experience)
Senior Lubrication Technician
Mechanical Fitters
Accounts Payable Officer

These positions are available with Queensland Alumina Limited. (QAL)

Options to work shiftwork or 9 day fortnight (role dependent)
Good renumeration
Subsidised Medical
Job security
Quarterly "Bonuses"
QAL lifestyle package (free gym, golf and cinema passes)

Apply online WEBSITE

__________________________________________________ _______________

Positions Vacant:

Deisel Fitters - Downunder Minesite Maintenance

10 positions available for experienced Deisel Fitters at Orange, NSW.

4 on 4 off roster
Travel time each way paid at full rate
Kilometers paid
$50/hour
All accommodation & meals paid

Requirements:
Relevant Trade Quals.
Proven Mining Maintenance experience.
Experience with Caterpillar, Komatsu & Hitachi mining equipment such as Dump Trucks, Dozers and Graders.

Resumes to hmsw@downundermm.com.au or post to Unit 2, 29 Mustang Drive, Rutherford NSW 2320

For more info visit WEBSITE

Position Vacant:

Deputy (Underground) - Xstrata, Blakefield South Mine (Hunter Valley NSW)

Enquiries to Rebecca Gould 02 6570 4369 or by email rgould@xstratacoal.com.au

Applications close December 4

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #604
Combat Wombat

http://jobs.bhpbilliton.com/jobDetai...sJobIDs=738829

Quote:
Position Vacant - Trainee Production Operator

Mt Arthur Coal - a world‑class mine

Located less than 5 kilometres from Muswellbrook, BHP Billiton's Mt Arthur Coal is the largest individual coal production site in the NSW Hunter Valley. The mine produces around 20 million tonnes of energy coal annually for local and international customers, with plans underway to increase production to 24 million tonnes. Nestled in one of the premium wine growing areas of Australia, close to spectacular beaches and within driving distance of Newcastle and Sydney, the location provides a wonderful lifestyle opportunity. As an EEO employer and a leader in safety and environmental management, there has never been a more exciting time to join the Mt Arthur Coal team.

Highly motivated, diligent and safety oriented team players are required to join our award winning mining traineeship program. The successful applicants are responsible for safely and efficiently operating a range of heavy earthmoving equipment as well as completing a Certificate III in Open Cut Coal Operations.

You will be trained in Mine Health, Safety and Environment as well as attaining Production (truck) skills and one other operation skill (grader, dozer or loader). The appointed trainees will, subject to satisfactory performance, be employed for a fixed term of two years.

In addition to your willingness to learn and preparedness to work towards mutual goals to improve productivity and efficiency, serious contenders will demonstrate a real desire and aptitude to embark on a career in the open cut mining industry. A current driver's licence, (Green P minimum) is essential.

Local hiring conditions apply.

To apply for this position, please upload a copy of your resume and cover letter online, by Thursday 1st December on jobs.bhpbilliton.com. Reference no. 738829
Old 22-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #605
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Seek was full of these these morning...

thanks for that Combat
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #606
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well after applying for so many summer positions I have lost count I finally got in...just the medical check to be done.

Anyone work for Vale? Being posted up in Brisbane, cant wait, getting experience while at uni in this industry has been harder to come by than I thought!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #607
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Wombat
As for the camps in peoples backyards. How big is said back yard? 60-100km from say Mackay still in their backyard? Obviously you are going to have smaller communities a lot closer to the mines that can and probably will be effected, but unfortunately it happens. If Defence can deploy to a country set up a fully functioning camp with messing facilities, sporting and gym, stores and fast food outlets etc I can't understand why a mining company that thrives on FIFO workers can't offer something of similar value.
The camps are in the townships and expanding by the day. Others will be on the edge of town approximately 2-5k from a township with the population of about 12000.
As a parent and a member of one of these "smaller" community, why should we, as a community, tolerate it? Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you implying that because we are a smaller community and not a city, that it is just fine to plant 2000-3000 man camps throughtout and around the townships?
I do not for one moment agree with the idea of camps in towns. Place them on the mine site, close to where the employees have to work. That alone has added benefits such as less traffic on our roads at end of shifts etc.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #608
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm hearing you J.C.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #609
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
i'm hearing you J.C.
Yes. You know exactly where I'm coming from. Look around. I'm waving at you from the other end if the boat.
You too are part of the same community I'm referring to.
Old 23-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #610
Combat Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
The camps are in the townships and expanding by the day. Others will be on the edge of town approximately 2-5k from a township with the population of about 12000.
As a parent and a member of one of these "smaller" community, why should we, as a community, tolerate it? Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you implying that because we are a smaller community and not a city, that it is just fine to plant 2000-3000 man camps throughtout and around the townships?
I do not for one moment agree with the idea of camps in towns. Place them on the mine site, close to where the employees have to work. That alone has added benefits such as less traffic on our roads at end of shifts etc.
Thanks for basically rephrasing what I already said. Question, how far are said mines from your "community"?

As I said I am not the answer to the problem more so suggesting ideas. Obviously you are so passionate about what you are saying, stop being a warrior behind your keyboard and take the problem to your local/state member.
Old 23-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #611
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Combat, the problem is being taken on but when so many $$ are at stake it is hard to get the big players in the game ( the multinational mining corporations and the government) to do the right thing by the little guys caught in the middle of it all. The situation in Mooranbah is nothing short of a joke but the power mongers don't want to spend money on developing the town the way that they should, and the government hasn't got the balls to make them! As long as they can rake in the billions of $$ in royalties to spend in on Brisbane's new road network, Bligh and Co. couldn't care less about central QLD.

As for your suggestions, they would just create more problems, such as those already highlighted by JC. Large concentrations of males, not all of them model citizens to begin with neccesarily mixed in with a smaller family community with a scattering of females and young kids. Not the nicest neighbourhood to be in.

FYI, the mines around Mooranbah quite close. I haven't been out there for 5 years as I work on a minesite closer to Nebo, but from my vague recollection, some are as close as 10klm from the town centre.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #612
Combat Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Combat, the problem is being taken on but when so many $$ are at stake it is hard to get the big players in the game ( the multinational mining corporations and the government) to do the right thing by the little guys caught in the middle of it all. The situation in Mooranbah is nothing short of a joke but the power mongers don't want to spend money on developing the town the way that they should, and the government hasn't got the balls to make them! As long as they can rake in the billions of $$ in royalties to spend in on Brisbane's new road network, Bligh and Co. couldn't care less about central QLD.

As for your suggestions, they would just create more problems, such as those already highlighted by JC. Large concentrations of males, not all of them model citizens to begin with neccesarily mixed in with a smaller family community with a scattering of females and young kids. Not the nicest neighbourhood to be in.

FYI, the mines around Mooranbah quite close. I haven't been out there for 5 years as I work on a minesite closer to Nebo, but from my vague recollection, some are as close as 10klm from the town centre.
Thanks for the reply. Pretty much why i used the term camps loosely and in "". I understand how a small town would feel with 2000 odd blokes just coming into their peaceful community. I grew up in "miners" houses ran and owned by gordanstone.

Unfortunately with a lot of companies and workers having the preference of having FIFO, things are not going to change. The suggestion I did make about making massive "camps" just outside the mine to compensate for the influx of workers "may" help to ease the stress and hardship on locals and $$$ things are starting to cost. Truth to the matter is why the mines are around people are going to want to cash in.

Now not knowing much on what goes on in the small and central towns... What would happen if the mine packed up and closed? I want to know the pro's and con's. I think that if they did leave and were not part of the community the cons would out weigh the pro's but that is just my opinion.
Old 23-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #613
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I know a fitter and turner a spraypainter and a fabricator who are after FIFO jobs, they're in their 30s to 50s though, are they too old?

Also do have any paramedics on site? One is interested in that.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #614
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wombat. I'll get back to you in relation to your cheap shot. At the moment though I truely must return to work and achieve something constructive other than wasting my smoko breaks reading your poorly informed responses on a topic that you appear to have little knowledge of or affects you in anyway.
I will get back to you though. I promise.
Cheers.
John.
Old 23-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #615
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let's just say that the BMA owned Isaac Plains mine is close enough that my house moves around when ever they blast. the latest government "approved mine", also owned by BMA, is slightly closer but in the opposite direction. basically Moranbah has 2 open cut pits and a longwall underground operation within 5 km's as the crow fly's, of the town. close enough for you Wombat? none of these mines were present when i first bought my house here as little as 7 years ago.

*edit BMA is a joint venture between BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi,
Old 23-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #616
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I have a BMA induction for PeakDowns.. woohoo go me ...
Old 23-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #617
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
I have a BMA induction for PeakDowns.. woohoo go me ...
Well done. Which department you heading to?
Might see you floating around out here maybe.
Old 23-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #618
Road Games

Nah i'm off to do a shutdown at Curragh now.. i have been mucked around and waiting for my TAMS card from Leighton's for months...

Site Information

Leightons - Peak Downs

Location: - 30 mins from Moranbah on Peak Downs Hwy towards Dysart.

Roster: 4 nights on 2 off 4 days on 6 off
Shifts – 12.5 hour shifts

Transport :- Buses run at the end of each 4 days/nights to and from Mackay, Rockhampton and Townsville.

Daily buses run to and from camps (Dysart and Moranbah) at end and start of shift.

Accommodation is supplied at The Mac Camp Dysart and Moranbah. This will be confirmed closer to you site induction date.

Single camp and meals are provided. All rooms are have showers, toilet, also fridge, TV and kettle.

Pay Rates – Operator Level 2 $51.00
Operator Level 3 $53.00
Operator Level 4 $55.00
If you provide your own accommodation $400.00 per week allowance is
paid

Pay week runs Monday to Sunday . All timesheets are handed to your supervisor on Monday morning (or Sunday night). Pays will be processed and transferred into your account on Thursdays.

Unit 2/1 Longwall Place, Paget QLD 4740

PO Box 11210
Canelands Mackay QLD 4740
Ph: 07 4952 3329 Fax: 07 4952 3328
Old 23-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #619
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wish i got an extra 400 a week for being in my own house in Mbah or had all my accom/meals/transport paid for every week. LOL they wonder why us locals get so upset when we see stuff like that....

anyway, congrats xr6menace for scoring the job mate. make the most of it.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #620
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^ on the other hand, we get to see our families everyday. I can't put a price on that.
It's a choice that was offered (and we are fortunate to have had) and we grabbed it. I wouldn't trade my family time for time in a camp full of blokes any day of the week.
Been there. Done that.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #621
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
i wish i got an extra 400 a week for being in my own house in Mbah or had all my accom/meals/transport paid for every week. LOL they wonder why us locals get so upset when we see stuff like that....

anyway, congrats xr6menace for scoring the job mate. make the most of it.
Thats the problem mate ... i don't have it .. i drove all the way up there booked into the camp and then got turned away at the bathhouse for not having the Black Coal Competancy!!
Old 23-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #622
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I have seen your car gt 0733 and jc do I know you I'm b crew , rob Gordons mob truck shovel , I know most people out there , well most of the old mob

Seems like we are getting taken over with the newies these days
vanman_75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #623
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You probably would. You were on today then. Missing Brew yet?
Old 24-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #624
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Yer its all going down hill , they know how to wreck a good workforce .I'm still ****ed about judd and kerrie .becoming a real joke ...I am use to idiots but they keep finding more . Should catch up for a chat sometime .
Sorry to all for the highjack ...its a small world .

Side note all these mines popping up gunna be a minefield getting to the peak , its like death race now lol ...
Old 24-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #625
Road Games

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=174681&x=7&f=247743

https://www.catsimulators.com/docs/f...index.html#/6/

NewHope used these to train a shortfall of operators back when Jeebropilly started up again..

I am looking into who is currently hosting the training and the costings !

http://gogeometry.com/mining/trainin...aul_truck.html
Old 24-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #626
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ad for that is always on tv.
Ive heard its expensive, is booked out for quite a while and that some places don't recognise it as training. Could all be BS rumors though.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #627
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

yer those simulators are only good for seeing what the cab looks like , very misleading for people thinking that they are anything like the real thing .
they put us all through it ( as they do any new toy ) basically for a keep trainers busy exercise .
And me being a trainer and long time operator i have already expressed my view on em .got sister and a mate that did the truck course (new horisons rocky ) and then my boss proceeds to tell me that they dont recognise it as training so we would do em fresh anyway ( go figure ) so they are waiting inline for a start hopefully . makes me wonder why the businesses even exist when noone recognises it / nor draws from them ...
nearly had a greeny hit my shovel yesterday ...not happy , some of the training is real rush rush ...my pet hate . i pulled the show up and put a trainer back in with him ( not a bright fella ) they dont quite understand the seriousness of having a incident . they call it target selection ... i call it a lucky dip . not many are what i call suited to the job .
just hope we dont have any incidents , my crew is 16 years clean and want it to stay that way ...
xr 6 menace you are probably lucky you not with leightons they have had several show stopping incidents in recent weeks including trucks hitting trucks ...newby fell to sleep and rolled away from digger into another truck ( life and death moment ) and several collisions with dozers etc etc . they are on the edge with mines inspector , but its so hard with so many green people coming into a very tiring job . anyways good luck again all ...just be aware of the job your trying for and its dangers ..
Old 24-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #628
Road Games

Here is the e-mail i received just before *edit* i will PM it too you ...

I have e-mailed all the companies i am waiting on to get there opinion of this $3000 refresher course !!
Old 24-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #629
Road Games

Thumbs down Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Ok, so my work here is done .. i am too disillusioned to offer up possibly false advice anymore ...all the best team !

If ya get in show us how ya did it cheers Darren ..x..
Old 24-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #630
I reckon
Banned

anyone tried these guys??
http://www.miningjobsnoexperience.net.au/

i just did the register now part for a job , then they send you an email

Hi Piggsy

I hope you're having a good day. I read what you sent through, and I'm happy to say that we can help you. You've said that you don't have previous experience, but don't worry about it, we specialise in assisting people who are new to the industry. I really like the fact that you're keen to give any role a go. It means you're flexible, which is something employers are looking for.

The mining industry is hiring, and we've got all of your details on file here now. So we're ready to go ahead with everything as soon as you get the service underway.

Please visit our website at Mining Australia for details on working in the mining industry, and to get all of the payment side of things sorted. Once this is done, we will kick everything off straight away :-)

Thanks,

so now they want payment ,wtf they want people to work out there now they want us to pay ??

anyone ever went ahead and done this?

pretty skeptical to sending money to things like this.

Last edited by russellw; 17-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post