Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #691
dl86
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Any VF performance figures out there yet?

I think we are missing point that this is a HOLDEN, performance figures aside. Most unreliable cars ever made.

The horror stories that I have read about and seen on the news about HSV/Holden are enough for me.

FG MKII GT ZF, 444.8rwkw, 61mm YT snout, 1000cc injectors, 460lph fuel pump, big kpm intercooler, shockworks w/12kg front springs, SSR GTX01 18X9.5" +22 F/R, nizpro input shaft, 1pce 4" AL tailshaft, poly bushings all round, trutrac, headerback exhaust 3", whiteline sway bars, IMS diff hat, herrod spark booster, Alpine R type speakers/Alpine R type 2x12" ported subs/Pioneer GM-D9601/8604 amps and other bits
9 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #692
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Modify ?
I could buy a 2nd hand BA XR6T for about $10,000 and mod the hell out of it for say another 20-30k and make the GTS and GT look way overpriced.....

Stock vs stock is what counts.
Stock vs stock only counts if you leave it stock.

How many of the GT or GTS owners will actually leave it stock though? Considering a few GTS owners have already got their cars on youtube being dynoed with mods, I'd say that not many will leave them stock.

So on a value per $$$ basis, I reckon you are better off buying a GT at the current point of time.

Old 17-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #693
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
I must "LOL" and agree to this statement at the same time. While I believe your statement to be true, and I also believe the GTS to be faster, by how much exactly, I don't know. I "LOL" because the GT & GT Rspec owners have probably got better value for their money, from a performance & modding point of view.

If people can currently buy FPV GT's for $60-70k, and VF GTS' can be bought for $90-95k at best, that means that GT owners can spend $20-$30k on their car before they meet the cost of buying a VF GTS.

When comparing from stock vs stock point of view, the GTS will be faster, but I'm pretty confident that people who purchase these cars will rarely keep them stock. So that gives GT owners far better value for money atm, because for the $20-$30k price difference, the GT owners can modify their car to a supercar level. The fact that you can already see GTS' cars on dynos with mods done proves that people who buy these cars, rarely keep them stock.

So in summary, if you a buy a FPV GT or HSV GTS and want to keep it stock, buy a GTS. If you want to modify, then buy a FPV GT. Honestly, it doesn't get much simpler than that!?!?

Stephen
It would probably cost around 30k alone just to bring the GT up to GTS specs let alone surpass them. The GTS already has strengthened driveline, adjustable suspension, massive brakes, widened wheels with sticky tyres and its already intercooled. You also have other things like oil coolers, torque vectoring diff, better seats, tech and features.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #694
FPV_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
It would probably cost around 30k alone just to bring the GT up to GTS specs let alone surpass them. The GTS already has strengthened driveline, adjustable suspension, massive brakes, widened wheels with sticky tyres and its already intercooled. You also have other things like oil coolers, torque vectoring diff, better seats, tech and features.
If it costs $30k to strengthen the GT driveline to GTS standards as previously mentioned in another user post, then fair enough, I agree the GTS is better.

But if you ignore the driveline, it doesn't cost $30k to bring the GT to GTS standards in terms of performance. Torque vectoring and brakes are for people who track their cars, which is a small number. If you're looking at purely performance, you can modify a GT with wider tyres and engine mods for far cheaper than it takes to buy a GTS standard. And the GTS doesn't stand a chance down the 1/4 mile.

The driveline mods are up in the air at the moment. A user here says $30k for GTS standard driveline mods which I'll believe once I see the receipts. Otherwise I believe you can do the driveline and performance mods for cheaper than you can buy a GTS.

Once again, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong

Old 17-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #695
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed a blue VF SS wagon weaving through the traffic along Wanneroo Road in Warwick late last week chasing me down when I was driving the GT. When he finally got next to me he planted his boot and took off. As did I. The problem for him was that he didn't stay ahead of me, instead he end up behind the GT. The performance of the VF SS is nothing to brag about IMO and I don't know why the peanut bothered in the first place.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #696
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me View Post
And when it does a lot better times than the manufacturer claims it does smell of BS
Exactly....bullshit. I'd like to hear some info from the guys to just confirm it. The kiwi guys certainly can drive too

I've been suspisous ever since that one off fast strip time for the GTS. Apparently it was a magazine testing...(which makes it a history first that a mag has timed at the drags and not using vboxes like EVERY other time since the beginning of mankind)

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 17-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 17-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #697
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
I noticed a blue VF SS wagon weaving through the traffic along Wanneroo Road in Warwick late last week chasing me down when I was driving the GT. When he finally got next to me he planted his boot and took off. As did I. The problem for him was that he didn't stay ahead of me, instead he end up behind the GT. The performance of the VF SS is nothing to brag about IMO and I don't know why the peanut bothered in the first place.
And I've done the same thing twice now....one a VF SS. And the other a redline. And that's in my G6ET

I'm also keen to hear how long a set of those hsv tyres last.....as they didn't seem to last that long at the track testing mentione earlier. Sticky tyres can take ALOT of time off, but cost you a lot aswell!

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 17-11-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 17-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #698
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl86 View Post
I think we are missing point that this is a HOLDEN, performance figures aside. Most unreliable cars ever made.

The horror stories that I have read about and seen on the news about HSV/Holden are enough for me.

no shoes, no shirt, no start
Old 17-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #699
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
no shoes, no shirt, no start
No thongs, no wifebeater, no start
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #700
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
If you're looking at purely performance, you can modify a GT with wider tyres and engine mods for far cheaper than it takes to buy a GTS standard.
But is this the only measure of a car? How it accelerates in a straight line? I guess for some people it is, but the performance of the GTS extends far further than that. Just because you don't believe many people will ever see the full potential of the GTS's dynamic ability on public roads is no reason to dismiss it. You can't legally go faster than 110 on public roads either. We all have our favourite stretches of highway and our favourite mountain roads. For the moment, the GTS is better in both places. It's faster, it's dynamically superior, it stops better, it has far more technologies and features- HSV should be applauded for taking the Aussie performance sedan to a place it's never been before. Since the beginning of time, the one criticism of Australian performance cars was that they had the power, but the rest of the package didn't exist. In the GTS it does. Say what you will about the potential of modifications (it's a messy argument that I think should be left out of this discussion), the GTS is a performance bargain in this market.

Now onto other things. I have a new VF SS. After driving my FG XR6T every day for 3 years, I'm in a good place to compare them. Instant power of the V8 is very nice. The 6.0 loves revs and past 4000 I cannot pick the difference between it and the XR6T. The noise the oldschool pushrod unit makes is lovely. If I raced them to 120, they'd be neck and neck. Drive tested them at WSID, they both did a 13.1 and whilst I was suspicious when I first saw it, now I can believe it. The VF is a lighter car than the VE. In every other area the VF is a better car. Technology, handling, ride comfort, build quality- the VF is an outstanding car. I would have loved to have bought another FG, it would have been number 4, but the VF is simply a generation ahead and Ford has neglected the FG which is a terrible shame.

Regarding reliability. I laugh when I read "Holden is the most unreliable car". Across 3 FGs, the amount of warranty work has been immense. They are not a reliable car either! If this was a BMW forum, you could understand the jabs at reliability. But modern Falcons being the pinnacle of reliability? From extensive experience, it's simply not the case.
7 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #701
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it costs $30k to strengthen the GT driveline to GTS standards as previously mentioned in another user post, then fair enough, I agree the GTS is better.

But if you ignore the driveline, it doesn't cost $30k to bring the GT to GTS standards in terms of performance. Torque vectoring and brakes are for people who track their cars, which is a small number. If you're looking at purely performance, you can modify a GT with wider tyres and engine mods for far cheaper than it takes to buy a GTS standard. And the GTS doesn't stand a chance down the 1/4 mile.

The driveline mods are up in the air at the moment. A user here says $30k for GTS standard driveline mods which I'll believe once I see the receipts. Otherwise I believe you can do the driveline and performance mods for cheaper than you can buy a GTS.

Once again, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong
I dont think you could upgrade the GT gbox, tailshaft, diff, wheels/tyres, brakes and suspension to GTS specs plus add power mods for under 30k
Old 17-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #702
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
When comparing from stock vs stock point of view, the GTS will be faster, but I'm pretty confident that people who purchase these cars will rarely keep them stock. So that gives GT owners far better value for money atm, because for the $20-$30k price difference, the GT owners can modify their car to a supercar level.

The fact that you can already see GTS' cars on dynos with mods done proves that people who buy these cars, rarely keep them stock.

Stephen

I would strongly disagree that most people who buy these cars mod them, they don’t.

A higher percentage of owners on this forum and something like LS1 might but most people who can afford these cars are not even on these forums to start with and would never consider voiding their warranties. The same can be said for most other performance orientated vehicles.

Modding cars becomes more prevalent as they get older, become cheaper and no longer have manufacturer warranty.

I do agree you could spend the money saved by purchasing a GT over a GTS on the GT and outperform the GTS but that is only of importance if outright power and speed is your only objective.

I’d be interested to see the break down in cost to outfit a GT to GTS spec in all other aspects.

2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #703
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
But is this the only measure of a car? How it accelerates in a straight line? I guess for some people it is, but the performance of the GTS extends far further than that. Just because you don't believe many people will ever see the full potential of the GTS's dynamic ability on public roads is no reason to dismiss it. You can't legally go faster than 110 on public roads either. We all have our favourite stretches of highway and our favourite mountain roads. For the moment, the GTS is better in both places. It's faster, it's dynamically superior, it stops better, it has far more technologies and features- HSV should be applauded for taking the Aussie performance sedan to a place it's never been before. Since the beginning of time, the one criticism of Australian performance cars was that they had the power, but the rest of the package didn't exist. In the GTS it does. Say what you will about the potential of modifications (it's a messy argument that I think should be left out of this discussion), the GTS is a performance bargain in this market.

Now onto other things. I have a new VF SS. After driving my FG XR6T every day for 3 years, I'm in a good place to compare them. Instant power of the V8 is very nice. The 6.0 loves revs and past 4000 I cannot pick the difference between it and the XR6T. The noise the oldschool pushrod unit makes is lovely. If I raced them to 120, they'd be neck and neck. Drive tested them at WSID, they both did a 13.1 and whilst I was suspicious when I first saw it, now I can believe it. The VF is a lighter car than the VE. In every other area the VF is a better car. Technology, handling, ride comfort, build quality- the VF is an outstanding car. I would have loved to have bought another FG, it would have been number 4, but the VF is simply a generation ahead and Ford has neglected the FG which is a terrible shame.

Regarding reliability. I laugh when I read "Holden is the most unreliable car". Across 3 FGs, the amount of warranty work has been immense. They are not a reliable car either! If this was a BMW forum, you could understand the jabs at reliability. But modern Falcons being the pinnacle of reliability? From extensive experience, it's simply not the case.
I agree with a lot of that. But as for reliability. Our BA XR6Ts (sedan and ute), BF F6, Territoy, FG F6, and thus far FG MK II GT-E have all been faultless.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #704
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:

Good honest write up mate..

But have to put my 3 cents in..

FG xr6t will beat a vf SS to 120ks, yes I have driven one mate..

Lights ahead compaired to the VE and quicker for sure, but still hasn't got that punch of the FG's smaller turbo 2000-3000 rpm..

And to be honest it fealt like it would pull away after 120ks...(vf)

Not the other way around..

My G6ET just pulls away easy but its tuned now or I would be able to tell ya whats quicker lol

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Old 17-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #705
Bossxr8
Peter Car

VF SS is only 40kg lighter so it still won't get near an FG turbo.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #706
FPV_Steve

Quote:

I'll try to make this pretty clear, if you want to leave the cars stock, then the GTS is clearly the better option with its better brakes, improved driveline (how improved, we don't know yet), its torque vectoring and other performance additions. I am not doubting that. But if you want value for the $$$ you spend, you can probably buy a new GT and modify it to a better standard than the GTS for the same, if not less, $$$ than it costs to buy a GTS.

But once again, I agree that HSV have done exceptionally well in providing a standard car, with warranty, that has quite a few of the bits and pieces that us performance car enthusiasts have been wanting for years, so they have definitely hit a spot with the GTS.

So if you leave the car standard, buy the GTS. If you modify, buy the GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT
I dont think you could upgrade the GT gbox, tailshaft, diff, wheels/tyres, brakes and suspension to GTS specs plus add power mods for under 30k
The gearbox = $4,700 for ZF Stage II from Nizpro (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ight=Nizpro+ZF)

Tailshaft = no idea actually, but say $3,000 to be on the conservative side of things.

Diff = I've been quoted roughly $1,800 to replace my diff bushes, but if you include the diff costs as part of the overall work, it would probably drop significantly.

Suspension = $2,000 for Shockworks coilovers, from what I've read, they drastically improve the handling of the GT's.

Wheels/Tyres = say $5,000 for a top of the line set of rims & tyres.

Brakes = Race Brakes Sydney quoted me $6,500 for the Harrop Ultimate Set which is their biggest and baddest brake kit.

If I've done my maths correctly, this should leave $7,000 in the bank for performance mods. More than enough to modify the GT to outperform the GTS.

Old 17-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #707
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Anyone thats driven and enjoyed a modded F6 should not be speculating on leaving the GTS stock as its not going to last that way.

Guys like us that want a car that will fully satisfy our cravings for speed, not just straight line but in handling and braking without requiring any work via the aftermarket then forget looking in either the red or blue camps right at this point in time... I hope that the top tier Mustang product can change this as the current GT500 is a bloody well designed car from a handling and powertrain POV and its times at the track show what a SRA car is capable of... the addition of world class IRS and removal of weight would seal the deal with the upcoming S550

As of right now... yes the GTS is a more complete car stock than an FG F6 or GT but at that price id either forget leaving it stock and pick between Ford(FPV) and HSV (which strengthens the Ford position) or if you really have the desire to retain warranty bypass it and head north of 100K

Daniel
Old 17-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #708
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
But if you want value for the $$$ you spend, you can probably buy a new GT and modify it to a better standard than the GTS for the same, if not less, $$$ than it costs to buy a GTS.

Am I right in assuming you only associate value for money from a performance point?

Many who play in this price range may be looking for something with more modern day tech in the cabin and not be exclusively hung up on the engine bay.

Those people would be better waiting for the FH to appear before laying down a lot of cash on either of these two cars.

They may not have the rear seat leg room or be as fast as these two but I see the CLA45 AMG and A45 AMG as good value for $$$.

I wonder what they would offer in a straight line if you threw another 10 grand at them?

Old 17-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #709
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
Anyone thats driven and enjoyed a modded F6 should not be speculating on leaving the GTS stock as its not going to last that way.

Guys like us that want a car that will fully satisfy our cravings for speed, not just straight line but in handling and braking without requiring any work via the aftermarket then forget looking in either the red or blue camps right at this point in time... I hope that the top tier Mustang product can change this as the current GT500 is a bloody well designed car from a handling and powertrain POV and its times at the track show what a SRA car is capable of... the addition of world class IRS and removal of weight would seal the deal with the upcoming S550

As of right now... yes the GTS is a more complete car stock than an FG F6 or GT but at that price id either forget leaving it stock and pick between Ford(FPV) and HSV (which strengthens the Ford position) or if you really have the desire to retain warranty bypass it and head north of 100K

Daniel
Gezzz I hope so Dan..

Seen a older GT500 today and to say it was just dam sexy is a understatement..

Have you had a bash in the new GTS mate? I can see it to ticking a few cat600 boxs?

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Old 17-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #710
FPV_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Am I right in assuming you only associate value for money from a performance point?

Many who play in this price range may be looking for something with more modern day tech in the cabin and not be exclusively hung up on the engine bay.

Those people would be better waiting for the FH to appear before laying down a lot of cash on either of these two cars.

They may not have the rear seat leg room or be as fast as these two but I see the CLA45 AMG and A45 AMG as good value for $$$.

I wonder what they would offer in a straight line if you threw another 10 grand at them?

You're correct in that I'm associating value for money from a performance point of view. Why else would you buy a GT or GTS if it wasn't for the performance they offer, both from a stock and modified point of view??

The people who play in this price range have two different situations, those who have a decent amount of money and want the prestige and luxury, ie: BMW & Merc owners, or those who want the best that FPV & HSV have to offer, ie: GT & GTS. So those who are after the FPV/HSV style car will be looking more from an engine point of view than life's little luxuries. There will be exceptions to this rule of course

And I agree, if you bought the AMG cars and threw some money at them, you could turn them into some serious street cars. And they would both represent great value for $$$, so I can't blame anyone for choosing them. But choosing between the GT and GTS is what we are discussing here, hence why I've focused on those two cars alone.

My point is simply that you can buy a VF GTS for $90-$95k or you can buy a GT for $60k and spend $30-$35k on it and end up with a better car than the VF GTS for the same price. Hence the GT is better value for $$$.

Once again, I'm not denying the VF GTS. It is an excellent car and it is what the FPV GT should be like when rolling off the showroom floor. And at the moment, the VF GTS is the pinnacle of factory standard Australian performance cars.

2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #711
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Haven't been for a drive myself but I've sat in one and another mate has throw $$$ at it to run a 10 (Eddy from Actives) and all ill say is we've got it pretty good at our price point

Daniel
Old 18-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #712
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Just read an older Motor magazine article on the GTS.
I didn't realise the amount of engineering required by HSV to fit the LSA engine into the GTS along with the auto and manual boxes. It wasn't just a "plug and play." The whole driveline in the GTS is different to that in the remainder of the range.
Here is the magazine article

Old 18-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #713
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD ESP! XELR8
Good honest write up mate..

But have to put my 3 cents in..

FG xr6t will beat a vf SS to 120ks, yes I have driven one mate..

Lights ahead compaired to the VE and quicker for sure, but still hasn't got that punch of the FG's smaller turbo 2000-3000 rpm..

And to be honest it fealt like it would pull away after 120ks...(vf)

Not the other way around..

My G6ET just pulls away easy but its tuned now or I would be able to tell ya whats quicker lol

You definitely feel the lack of torque low down and that's the first thing I noticed. I'd usually apply 1/4 throttle at 2500-3000rpm in the turbo and the rush of torque just propelled the car forward so beautifully. Can't do that with the V8, it goes nowhere- either you need a lower gear or more throttle input. I said I think they'd be even till around 120 largely because the V8 gets off the mark a little better and by the time the FG starts to reel it in the V8 is punching its hardest and at the same time the small-turbo FGs start to run out of puff up top. Past 120 (start of 3rd gear for the XR6T and once again in its most formidable slice of the rev range) forget it, the torque of the I6T is too much. Same deal on the roll, the I6T just has so much torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
VF SS is only 40kg lighter so it still won't get near an FG turbo.
I think you'd be surprised. The VF also isn't driving a hydraulic power steering pump anymore (electric steering) so that helps too. Combine that with less weight, better aero, revised engine tuning (the 6.0 makes max power and torque a little lower this time), it's closer to the FG turbo than Holden has even been.

Quote:
I'll try to make this pretty clear, if you want to leave the cars stock, then the GTS is clearly the better option with its better brakes, improved driveline (how improved, we don't know yet), its torque vectoring and other performance additions. I am not doubting that. But if you want value for the $$$ you spend, you can probably buy a new GT and modify it to a better standard than the GTS for the same, if not less, $$$ than it costs to buy a GTS.

But once again, I agree that HSV have done exceptionally well in providing a standard car, with warranty, that has quite a few of the bits and pieces that us performance car enthusiasts have been wanting for years, so they have definitely hit a spot with the GTS.

Fair argument, although I guess it depends on a couple of things. Firstly spending a lot of money on a GT so it performs like a GTS starts to look shaky when you're approaching GTS money once the mods are done and you've lost your factory warranty. The other thing would be, depending on whether you appreciate the technology, it's going to be very hard to add things like competition mode stability control, electronic car setup options that change everything from steering weighting to the torque vectoring, heads up display, blind spot alert, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, remote start and things like that. Some of it has nothing to do with the performance but it helps justifying spending over $90k. I think the GTS will be a very sought after car in a few years when they start popping up used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I agree with a lot of that. But as for reliability. Our BA XR6Ts (sedan and ute), BF F6, Territoy, FG F6, and thus far FG MK II GT-E have all been faultless.
I think all of my cars have been built on Friday arvos
Old 18-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #714
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The gearbox = $4,700 for ZF Stage II from Nizpro (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ight=Nizpro+ZF)

Tailshaft = no idea actually, but say $3,000 to be on the conservative side of things.

Diff = I've been quoted roughly $1,800 to replace my diff bushes, but if you include the diff costs as part of the overall work, it would probably drop significantly.

Suspension = $2,000 for Shockworks coilovers, from what I've read, they drastically improve the handling of the GT's.

Wheels/Tyres = say $5,000 for a top of the line set of rims & tyres.

Brakes = Race Brakes Sydney quoted me $6,500 for the Harrop Ultimate Set which is their biggest and baddest brake kit.

If I've done my maths correctly, this should leave $7,000 in the bank for performance mods. More than enough to modify the GT to outperform the GTS.
Good list, but once you add upgraded rear shafts and intercooler (all stock on the GTS) plus fitting of all those parts etc it would be pretty close to if not more than 30k just to get the GT up to GTS specs. Would be a killer GT though
Old 18-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #715
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl86 View Post

Do they really come with a preheated boot lid for winter and precooled for summer?

Last edited by GCRXR6; 18-11-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo
4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #716
FPV_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Good list, but once you add upgraded rear shafts and intercooler (all stock on the GTS) plus fitting of all those parts etc it would be pretty close to if not more than 30k just to get the GT up to GTS specs. Would be a killer GT though
Thanks mate I'm quite surprised I managed to put that list together with pretty accurate quotes

You could add the KPM Premium Intercooler Package (with warranty) into the mix at an extra cost of $4,950 fitted according to their website. Add in $1,000 for injectors and $1,650 for tune and you're looking at just over $30k. Some of my prices include fitting already as well so you would add a little extra for fitting. If you did it all through the one tuner, you could probably get a discount lol

In the end, the modified GT I've listed would cost as much as a GTS with a custom tune probably and would more than match it on the street & 1/4 mile.

Old 18-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #717
dl86
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In the end, the modified GT I've listed would cost as much as a GTS with a custom tune probably and would more than match it on the street & 1/4 mile.
The GT would be doing high 10's whereas the GTS would be on low 12's. A significant performance difference for similar coin as a GTS.

Then you can take it to the next level with an upgraded supercharger and forged internals.

The Coyote motor is a monster with what you can extract out of it. They have a Mustang running a flat 7 second quarter with it.

http://www.nmradigital.com/2013/08/1...wered-mustang/
FG MKII GT ZF, 444.8rwkw, 61mm YT snout, 1000cc injectors, 460lph fuel pump, big kpm intercooler, shockworks w/12kg front springs, SSR GTX01 18X9.5" +22 F/R, nizpro input shaft, 1pce 4" AL tailshaft, poly bushings all round, trutrac, headerback exhaust 3", whiteline sway bars, IMS diff hat, herrod spark booster, Alpine R type speakers/Alpine R type 2x12" ported subs/Pioneer GM-D9601/8604 amps and other bits
Old 18-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #718
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Harrop stg 3 kit

http://youtu.be/D_evI4Ta0mA
Old 18-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #719
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
So those who are after the FPV/HSV style car will be looking more from an engine point of view than life's little luxuries. There will be exceptions to this rule of course

AS they say, you learn something new every day.

Even taking into account I must be a part of the exception to the rule because I like a liberal helping of both power and new tech, comforts and luxuries, I wasn’t aware that high end FPV and HSV owners were more interested in an engine than luxuries. I was reading a thread earlier about the end of the GT and many posters were unhappy to see a GT dumbed down to a XR8. It also makes me wonder why the slower HSV’s have been outselling the faster PFV for the last few years.

Quote:
My point is simply that you can buy a VF GTS for $90-$95k or you can buy a GT for $60k and spend $30-$35k on it and end up with a better car than the VF GTS for the same price. Hence the GT is better value for $$$.

My point is, if outright power is not your ‘is all and end all’, the GTS tech is the better value.

In case you are living in a sheltered performance forum world and this is coming from someone who mods everything I buy as it rolls out of the dealership, I’ll go back to what I wrote in an earlier post. Very few people in the real world mod their cars and the more expensive the vehicle, the less likely it is.

I respect and understand your argument and you can have the final say but it will be futile and go nowhere as we obviously have very different wants in a car.

And even though it doesn’t suit your argument, in my case the a CLA/A45 AMG is the best value.

I love power but I want to be comfortable in my cocoon as well, otherwise I’d just stick with my XY breathing in petrol fumes and have neither.

Old 18-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #720
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Double Post ?

Closed Thread