Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #61
schultzie
Just Images

My gf still hasn't got power back on been 9hrs, and her old man whose in the cfa was saying it might be a couple of days.... must be chaotic in dem dare hills
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #62
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we had an accident out the front of work today due to the strong wind

the poor guy in a really sweet looking xd was traveling along when an old sign from an old tyre shop had broken loose and wrapped itself around the xd ( drivers door window and windscreen ) the piece of the sign was 1200mm X 2400mm (4' X 8' )

he managed to travel 200 mtrs without problem but he drifted a bit of course and clipped another car and then proceeded to finish hitting a lamp post

worst part about it was i was on the phone to the emergency services to find out what to do about the loose bit of sign

unfortunately i was a bit slow and now there is a neat xd no more

i cant recall the last time i have seen weather like this

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #63
turbonegro

eya blow gals here tooo! my cat almos blo away!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #64
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im in the windscreen game,,, My phone wont stop ringing! Gunna be a busy day tommorow

Need a Windscreen? www.windscreensmelbourne.com.au
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #65
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

Been bad down here in the apple isle too! Hurricane Force Wind Warning for the south of Tassie. Hobart recorded gusts of 100Kph. Higher down at Maatsuyker Island 140 ish i think it got too?

Hers - 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 5-speed man, Blue, all options
STANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #66
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

we only lost the fence. Not to bad here really for how windy it actually got.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #67
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heh, all I noticed was my thongs were blown into the garden. Bloody cold though
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #68
STANG_V6
Formerly FTE666

Truck had it's container blown off on the Tasman Bridge. no one hurt.

Hers - 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L V6, 5-speed man, Blue, all options
STANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #69
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Was bad in the Frankston area today, traffic at a stand still with all the traffic lights out and railway crossing boom gates stuck on. Most shops lost power so i couldn't get maccas on the way home : dodging trees and branches everywhere, a commodore utes hard lid landed on the car in front and saw a tree fallen on a mobile library truck which was parked at the shops. Was like something you only see on tv driving in these winds.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #70
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Power is still out here in yarrambat (on phone atm). Have been told we will be lucky to get it for a while yet.

Hawthorn coped it bad is well. Swinburne uni is a mess. Trees down on buildings. Parts of the libary roof ripped of and were flying round uni. And a giant shade sail broke with it's support poles smashing into buildings.
Not good or fun at all. Stay safe people.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #71
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Copped it bad in Ballarat. That dust that we all saw was Mallee dust, a real bugger to wash off ANYTHING. The premo brakes payed for themselves a few times today as I doubt the stockers could have pulled me up quick enough to miss all the rubbish on the freeway. On the downside the mrs car appears to be no longer. Had a branch fall on it and destroy the front drivers side guard and windscreen. She couldn't even open the drivers door. Poor old Lancer.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #72
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of central Cranbourne has had no electricity since about 1pm yesterday. When i left for work at 11pm it was all in darkness. Red Rooster, Foodplus, KFC & Mcdonalds all in darkness as well as all the traffic lights out.
I've just arrived home and it is still the same.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #73
rodderz

Our power in Bundoora was off for more than 12 hours, working at Macleod yesterday it looked like a bomb site. The estate I was in has redgums everywhere and most if them had lost limbs and a couple had completely fallen over onto driveways, luckily missing brand new houses and cars.

Bored out of my brain in the dark...phone battery flat, laptop flat, had to talk the missus!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #74
TadKa
Wait? What?

We got hit really hard last night in Tassie. There are roads closed all over the place and power off everywhere. I live in a 150 year old slapped together cottage and I really thought we were going to lose the roof. Quite a few houses did. The weather station 5km up the road at Droughty Point recorded 174km/ph
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #75
TadKa
Wait? What?

Edit- Now saying 176km/ph was on Maatsuyker Island. Hobart only had 124km/ph Still bloody scary.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #76
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My area got hit really hard, i was playing the computer and i heard a big gust of wind, look through the window and see the trees in the front garden bending completely sideways for a few seconds before flinging back....

The sky was also this really gray/pink colour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #77
kooky
WRX terrorist

Mornington pier, and some guys making sure a good swell does not go to waste!!

http://www.wellspun.com.au/g/main.php?g2_itemId=14835

http://www.pbase.com/torbreck/image/95054678
Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #78
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great photos, shame about the damaged & sunk boats though.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #79
schultzie
Just Images

well the missus still doesnt have electricity and because that bloke died to day in mornington the union has stopped all work as of 9pm so people can get some rest. looks like they wont have power till tomorrow some time...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #80
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Understandable stop work though from the union. A man did die. Somehow power doesn't seem that important hey! My thoughts go out to his family.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #81
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonegro
eya blow gals here tooo! my cat almos blo away!
Please repeat in english
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #82
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie
well the missus still doesnt have electricity and because that bloke died to day in mornington the union has stopped all work as of 9pm so people can get some rest. looks like they wont have power till tomorrow some time...
*-

Poeple worry about thier car , homes and thier power being on..

This guy was out doing what linesman do every day when the hits the fan.

How his family and friends must feel when you know a a mate or loved one has been hanging is his harness for over an hour prior to the body being retrieved.

As a person who has worked in this industry for over20 years this is so wrong, how this has happened is shocking.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...tion=australia

My best regards to his family and friends....
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #83
schultzie
Just Images

you know what the worst bit is though. he had probabbly had little to no sleep the night before, then ad in that they were all flat out and as we know resources were stretched well past their limits and the key mistake was made "he was working by him self" that is a fundamental NO NO!!! i know accidents happen but that is one thing that should never happen, all people doing any sort of hi risk work should never work alone.

im not flaming him or creating an argument a man has died. but as i have seen in my industry time and time again it only takes one person to to make a mistake.

Lose electricty... candles and lots of warm clothes, major concern my gf had was getting ready for work, no hot water and has to do typical female things, so she came down here to me, (then her brother coughed up his generator) so they could run their fridge and come lights lol,

they have power back now but hell the dandenongs copped it bad.... but i guess lots of people will have fire wood
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #84
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzie
snip..

im not flaming him or creating an argument a man has died. but as i have seen in my industry time and time again it only takes one person to to make a mistake.

snip
Doesn't sound like you are flaming him and neither should anyone else. The company he was working for on the other hand for letting/instructing him to go up there need to be shown the full force of the law.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #85
schultzie
Just Images

when i heard that a man got electrocuted i thought well accidents happen but when it was on the news about hanging there my head started spinning, especially when you are working around electricity,

working on a crane we do things that aren't always right but when it comes to the zappy zappy man we really don't take chances, just like wind is out biggest danger when the wind gets a hold of a 10t block of concrete and starts moving and 3 guys are holding on to it... well hands can get lost quickly among all the other crap that goes on. we often get phone calls what the weather is doing locally, the office is alway on our case but in the end it is us that makes the descion if it is safe or not to work.

sorry bout the rant, but i have seen enough close calls and know of when a little bit of mis judgment has cost some their life, you could have been doing this job all you life and the minute u get complacent and say yeah no worries that is when something will go wrong.