Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #61
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Buying a New Car and dealing with 'The Pitch'.....

I guess Im looking at it from a business owner point of view. I try and treat all my clients and potential customers with a good measure of respect regardless of budget.

But you do sometimes get those who are looking for the cheapest deal no matter who you are, and it's usually up to me to determine if this person is serious at doing something or tire kicking as such to gain more information and advice from me without paying for it. A frustrating and time consuming process to spend for someone in my position to give my full attention to someone else with little to no intention to engage my business in works. (speaking from a Designer's point of view, not car related I realise)

But the principle still applies to some degree with salespersons. They just want to sell cars, and give a good price to someone genuinely willing to do a deal on the day.

Im not saying the spreadsheet method is bad, it's not. It's good, good for you! and pretty much you alone. Leaves little to work with from the salesperson for working out what kind of person you are, if you are actually genuine, or just wasting time to satisfy a need to penny pinch and then walk away and telling them 'you'll think about it'.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #62
Rodge
Banned

No question the power of e.mail and internet sites has given more power to the consumer, who hasn't searched www.carsales.com for their make and model and hit the button to list the vehicles from cheapest to dearest ?

It wasn't that many years ago you couldn't do that, you were at the mercy of reading newspapers and trying to peice together what was a fair price and visit dealers and "enjoy" the usual, gosh you're fortunate you visited the dealership today sir, we have an incredibly special offer valid just for today, especially for you and all the other B.S. that's common place in the industry including the aforementioned very pretty girl with big tits giving you the sultry "come on" to buy her vastly overpriced fabric and paint protection.

Of course dealers hate it when you take an approach that fully utilizes the power of the internet and e.mail, they make less money.

Service and warranty claims, (God knows we pay enough to get our vehicles serviced), shouldn't be affected by the fact that someone got a good deal and others paid more because they "enjoy" a so-called good relationship with their stealership, opps sorry, dealership.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #63
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Frankly, as a sales person, I hate this method.

And realistically, some of you people who act like this are the people later on who create threads about the lack of customer service they received. From an industry perspective, I'm happy to respond to these emails with a crazy price that I wouldn't normally do, but rest assured if I win the deal I won't be treating you to the level of service that someone who came into the dealership and wanted to create a rapport and a relationship with me would get.

Put simply, you want to get everything you can out of the dealer without paying any respect in return. Don't be surprised if dealers will give you the "best price" then consequently treat you like **** afterwards.
Interesting. The deal I got for the Mondeo wasn't the cheapest, as I was weary of the cheapest price and dealer. It was the service that sold me on the dealer. And driving from Footscray to Ferntree Gully to get a car serviced must say something about the way I was treated.

The service I got from the dealer was excellent, and if it wasn't for the lack of communication when my car was up for lease he would have got the deal on my current car.

I believe I created good rapport with the dealer selling me the Mondeo, and also with the Territory I purchased from Etheridge. I'll have to build a rapport and relationship with a new purchasing dealer now, that Andrew has left there.

You say you're a sales person, why not let people know what dealer you're from and you might get some business out of it? Is your dealer a Forum Sponsor?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #64
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
I don't see how emailing a few dealers asking for a good price is a bad thing or makes you look like a di*khead? In the end, it's your money that you worked for - and if a dealer gives you a good price, then go ahead and buy? If you ask me, it's "smart spending".

Unless you're being very rude to them in the email - then that's a different story. But if you're being respectful while searching for a great deal, I really don't see a problem?

When you buy a car, sure you want to be treated right - but let's face it. The salesman isn't your best friend or a family member, you don't need the whole relationship thing. Sure, you expect them to be nice and respectful (and the customer obviously should be too) but treating someone like ***** just because they got a good price is wrong, if you ask me.

No one made you sell it at that price - if you're so unhappy with the profit margin on that sale that you want to treat a customer like crap, then it seems to me like you shouldn't have made the sale.

In either case: if a deal is made - either party saw value in it. Either the customer thought they were getting their moneys worth, or the salesman thought, even at the 'lower' price, that he/she was getting a good deal (their pay check or whatever). No reason to treat a customer like crap. You don't go into Harvery Norman, ask for a better price and then have the sales rep treat you like *****?

Obviously, all of the above applies only if the customer is being respectful. If they are being a dog about it, treat them like ***** regardless if they pay full RRP or not. I hate rude people in general, customers or not.
My simple response is to this, for all those people who post up about issues with their relatively new vehicles might have a hope in asking ME to help them with the issues if they have treated ME well in their buying process.

The fact of the matter is, whilst you are not wrong in the spreadsheet opinions, I am at the end of the day a HUMAN BEING and in 99% of these cases customers talk AT me, not WITH me.
Old 24-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #65
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
With my Mondeo, I emailed all the sales managers in Melb giving them the specs I wanted and asked for their best price. I put them into a spreadsheet and went to the lowest price dealer and bought it from them.
Quote:
Interesting. The deal I got for the Mondeo wasn't the cheapest
You contradicted yourself here and I'm sure if you re-read the first quote there you will see what I was responding to.

Good on you if you rewarded customer service in your final purchase, but I was merely responding to your initial post that basically outlined the final $ figure was more important than the service level you received.

Quote:
You say you're a sales person, why not let people know what dealer you're from and you might get some business out of it? Is your dealer a Forum Sponsor?
I work for a Toyota dealership, so I'm not sure it would help around here
Old 24-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #66
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rodge,

If I think you are being somewhat harsh if you think that I'm getting screwed when I bought 3 Mercs from the same dealer. If the cost of a Merc in the UK or elsewhere is half or double to what you pay here, I think it is irrelevent. I reckon I got a good deal.

What is most important, it that my wife is happy.

A happy wife is a happy life.

If she is happy, I'm happy.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #67
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke

I personally back this. I myself am somewhat of an impulsive purchaser on most things. But I believe in customer service values.

Price is one thing, and sure it can be good to get a great deal but at the end of the day if you look at the price of something and consider it to be affordable, you're happy with the product, the service and everything seems positive then bobs your uncle.

Sure, I might not be the wealthiest bloke around due to this attitude, but I'm as happy as a pig in poo with most things too.
Old 24-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #68
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Put simply, you want to get everything you can out of the dealer without paying any respect in return. Don't be surprised if dealers will give you the "best price" then consequently treat you like **** afterwards.
You mean, if I pay more than someone else, you'll note down in my customer file that the mechanics servicing my car should try a bit harder?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #69
hawker

Years ago, our company was looking at buying a new car, because our call outs were increasing, and the current car was starting to have issues (Holden issues!!). We went to Ford, looked at an SR, went to Bitsaremissing and looked at a 380, and also Holden to look at an SV6. All 3 were very different.

Ford - The guy was in control, but let us tell him what we wanted, when he took us for a test drive, he basically let us go for it, even encouraged us to really put the car through its paces. He also got us a half decent trade in deal on the current S commodore we had.

Bitsaremissing - Was really weird, it was a female sales person who had just moved to Darwin from Adelaide, and she wouldn't shut up about it. Anyway, she let the stats talk for themselves and the test drive was ok. My company partner didn't like the idea of front wheel drive. She was the only one to follow up with a phone call though.

Holden - Across the road we went, to Kerry's Holden, which I wasn't too impressed about, as they are pretty rubbish (ask 99% of people in Darwin). Anyway, it was really stupid. They were doing renovations, so the place was falling apart, he couldn't get the car out, as it was about 10 cars at the back, so he basically said 'Oh you don't need a test drive, it drives like a Holden'.

So we wrote that one off. We were looking at the SR, however, some other things happened and we both ended up heading south and closing down the business from the Darwin POV.

At the end of the day they're trying to make a buck, some are good at it, others not so good. The sad thing is, that most of the born salesman, have good jobs, and are usually the boss, or off at a way better paying job. The problem with the leftovers is, they can't always read people. Some people need that push, others need the facts, the info, and then to be left alone. You need to make yourself clear, say as what's already been said. I'm shopping around and I won't be rushed. Ask them straight up questions, if you don't get them, go elsewhere, or ask to speak to someone else, or the sales manager. You're always in control. You have the power to walk away! That makes you in control. They're not going to walk away!
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #70
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
Rodge,

If I think you are being somewhat harsh if you think that I'm getting screwed when I bought 3 Mercs from the same dealer. If the cost of a Merc in the UK or elsewhere is half or double to what you pay here, I think it is irrelevent. I reckon I got a good deal.
Hawke,

I thought we got a good deal on our brand new Mercedes-benz S320 CDi too and then
the problems started with the diesel particulate filter blocking up, the salesman and
the sales manager had left the dealership so that relationship wasn't worth anything
and Mercedes-benz took a very arrogant and argumentative approach.

I had to resort to a extremly firm legal approach to get the problem eventually
resolved. It took about 200 hours of my time, five months, two expert engineers
opinions, several oil samples and thinly disguised threats of legal action to eventually resolve the matter.
There's the value of a "good relationship" with the biggest Mercedes-benz dealer in
New Zealand. We're now satisfied with the vehicle but so much for their creative
marketing "the best or nothing" and all the rest of their B.S.

The fact that M Benz haven't dropped their retail prices despite massive rises in the
currency confirms they are indeed price-gouging customers. Even if you get what appears to be a good discount off their recommended retail, the fact that the retail is probably 50-70% too high to start with means you are still being screwed. My wife is happy too,
but I'd prefer not to have gone through hell to achieve that.

Any wonder I take a cynical view towards the so called value of salesman "relationships".
P.S. I've never had such serious difficulty with Ford or FPV vehicles.

Last edited by Rodge; 25-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #71
bingoTE50
Steve

Dealerships will always have the aftermarket sales person selling paint protection,rust protection,tint,etc. The salesman also likes you too see them because he gets a percentage of that sale as well. When you make $30 on a Hyundai Getz as a salesman ( 10%) , another 10% of the tint cost helps.
Yep ,sold cars for two weeks ,base salary was rubbish and the commissions not much better,and they wonder why they cannot get good sales people in the industry! Let me tell you though , I have a lot of respect to anyone who is long term because it is a lot harder than what it seems to actually do the role!
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #72
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Dealerships will always have the aftermarket sales person selling paint protection,rust protection,tint,etc. The salesman also likes you too see them because he gets a percentage of that sale as well. When you make $30 on a Hyundai Getz as a salesman ( 10%) , another 10% of the tint cost helps.
Yep ,sold cars for two weeks ,base salary was rubbish and the commissions not much better,and they wonder why they cannot get good sales people in the industry! Let me tell you though , I have a lot of respect to anyone who is long term because it is a lot harder than what it seems to actually do the role!

Not all dealerships are the same though. I do not get a cut of the aftermarket sales income. $30 comm on a Hyundai Getz seems like a farce and personally if that was what was on offer I wouldn't even consider working for that sort of money.
Old 25-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #73
XWGT