Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #61
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

...sounds like Summernats should be made a full no alcohol event. And security have powers to eject any intoxicated people...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #62
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH
i think this bloke will be glad to see it gone, check out his summernats 09 movies
http://au.youtube.com/user/kwatflacker
Interesting fellow......

His "friend" heididale43 looks like a keeper though...!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #63
GK351

Summernats 15 was the last time i went. Seen a security guard get run over by the yellow V8 landcruiser monster truck.

What ****es me off about it is the stupid drunks pushing in your QTR panels
trying to get you sideways.

Always was and always will be a bogan event.
Plenty of other sensible shows out their so bugger the nats.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #64
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You'd just about need a 4wd lawnmower to lap the Thunderdome now!!!
Not true, I did a John Bowe course on the Thunderdome. A weed here or there, but otherwise it was fine.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #65
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
Not true, I did a John Bowe course on the Thunderdome. A weed here or there, but otherwise it was fine.
Yeah i guess its not too bad... the stadium seating is interesting though!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #66
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Have been told that Summernats 2010 dates are Jan 7 to 10....

what venue? and is your source reliable or just peddling more rumours?

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #67
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
what venue? and is your source reliable or just peddling more rumours?

steve
http://www.summernats.com.au/index.p....html&Itemid=0

Must be reliable i suppose????
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #68
Dr_Hoon

Chic Henry was from qld originally, not sure where he lives now, I think it is Canberra.

It is at NatEx because that is where the last proper ASMF Street Machine Nationals were held in 1986 before Henry left the ASMF completely and joined forces with Street Machine magazine to turn what used to be an event ostensibly run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts into a spectacle. Henry organised a deal with the territory govt.
Zoom and Extreme Performance Production Editor
----
Dr_Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #69
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

id like to know how other events like powercruise and (correct me if im wrong please) supernats?, are both grog free events and both seem to be growing in popularity every year..... maybe chic needs to look outside the square a little in regards to the booze and summernats.....

but IF summernats went to eastern creek/WSID.... what would they do so different to whats already being done at powercruise etc, or will it become SummerPowerCruiseNats.....

will admit tho powerskids at summernats would be sweet, unfortunatly that wont happen in canberra

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #70
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
I did a JB course about 5 years ago and the instructor took us around in 2 cars afterwards (one of them was mine). The Thunderdome felt pretty rough (I think we were doing 150-180kmh) and an equivalent AU Falcon felt much smoother around there.

I have gone around there in the years when they ran a combined circuit/Thunderdome layout. My memory tells me that the Thunderdome was much smoother then and it was still intimidating for a first timer, especially turn 3. The ‘dome newbies like me kept well away from the walls and were lifting accelerators very early. Slightly scary at racy speeds, should be fine at sub 120 km/h “cruise” speeds.

Personally I’ve never understood “cruising” around a race track. I prefer to go as quick as my low skill levels and the my cars capabilities will take me.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #71
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K

Personally I’ve never understood “cruising” around a race track. I prefer to go as quick as my low skill levels and the my cars capabilities will take me.
But in the context of the Nats it is as much for the visual and aural pleasure of the spectators more so than the entrants cruising. The cruising around is the big thing the Nats, PowerCruise etc have over the hundreds of static show and shines.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #72
dub racing
t3 own the road

I went two years in row many years ago when you could cruise northbourne ave one of my best memories was sitting behind OVAKIL a blown 351 clevo running on methenol in a XC coupe and my eyes starting to water because of the methenol fumes .When the hoons and drunks had stuffed up so much that the cruising on northbourne was stopped thats when they lost me never been back since and dont plan to .

cheers mark
dub racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #73
VSSII

Summernats has always had idiots. Anyone else remember back as far as Summernats 2 (I think..maybe 3). The wet T shirt comp that went pear shaped and about 25k worth of plastic seats were smashed by the 'fans'. Some thought that was to be the end because nobody would want to host it. No doubt somebody on here was there and could elaborate. What year was Peter Fitzpatrick's FC damaged? I went to one. Didn't feel the need to return. The cars were fantastic. It just seemed to attract the bottom feeders.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #74
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

any modified-car event in australia is going to have derro's, ferals, bogans and 'bottom feeders', as they're a reasonable percentage of the population.. it's just how drunk they're allowed to get that screws it up..
Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #75
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:

ta for that , it should put a stop to some of the rumours

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #76
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that video doesnt work for me? the accounts been removed..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #77
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
But in the context of the Nats it is as much for the visual and aural pleasure of the spectators more so than the entrants cruising. The cruising around is the big thing the Nats, PowerCruise etc have over the hundreds of static show and shines.
I can appreciate your point of view.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #78
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
that video doesnt work for me? the accounts been removed..
you're not missing much, the guy has serious issues :
Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #79
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
you're not missing much, the guy has serious issues :
i was watching the video lastnight, whats the blokes deal? never made any sence, :S

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #80
500SEC

I went on Saturday and enjoyed it a lot. No evidence of bad crowd behaviour, unless u call a few isolated loud vocals in the crowd 'bad behaviour'. To me it's all part of the fun. The 'show us your tits' mentality is all round, but I also think that's kinda funny too in a (and that's coming from a Canberra-based Chartered Accountant turned IT consultant).

Anybody who refers to the crowd as bogan-esque needs their head examined. A fair proportion of the crowd was represented by young men with their tops off, and showing off their biceps.... nothing wrong with that.

The petrol and rubber burning was sensational and the effort that some people put into customising their cars is awesome. Let's celebrate that.

I too wonder why it's held in Canberra, but think it's a great anti-dote to the otherwise staid and (too) well-behaved city.

Perhaps the downturn in audience numbers is due to the 'global financial crisis'... everything else is down, why shouldn't a high-priced event such as the Summernats also suffer?
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #81
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iv been the last couple of years and didnt go this year more so cause of the econermory and justifying the prices for everything.

i would never take a women with me again as at about 2:00 on the saturday we had to leave as she was getting harassed by a large group of a certian ethnic background
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #82
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all the problems centralise on that little mini cruise thing they do though.. thats where the girls ride around on utes, get their tits out and rev the crowd up.. then it continues on and on and on until girls are getting harassed all over teh place by groups of people - remember last year? "tits out for the boys, tits out for the boys" chanting and all that.. it can be pretty scary...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #83
swanee
spoolin!

Quote:
The date they were announced was 18 November 2008.

Things can still change.

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #84
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Dates not the problem though, its the whereabouts that's up in the air...

Just gotta wait till march
Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #85
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

wat happens in march?

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #86
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
I went on Saturday and enjoyed it a lot. No evidence of bad crowd behaviour, unless u call a few isolated loud vocals in the crowd 'bad behaviour'. To me it's all part of the fun. The 'show us your tits' mentality is all round, but I also think that's kinda funny too in a (and that's coming from a Canberra-based Chartered Accountant turned IT consultant).

Anybody who refers to the crowd as bogan-esque needs their head examined. A fair proportion of the crowd was represented by young men with their tops off, and showing off their biceps.... nothing wrong with that.
How many times have you been there? Last time I went about 4 years ago (and had gone 10 years in a row), a mates 16yr old sister almost had her top ripped off by the bogan element who wouldn't let women past without showing tits - granted she was large for her age and didn't look 16 but that's besides the point. There was a group of about 50-100 visible and as many cheering them on 10-20 meters away so there wasn't much you could really do about it but try and calmly remove them from the situation. They were having their clothing grabbed or being doused in beer and anyone who interviened copped a flogging. Is there something wrong with that?

It used to be about the cars, you could participate and not have your women assaulted by drunken yobos. That incident was the last straw for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
Perhaps the downturn in audience numbers is due to the 'global financial crisis'... everything else is down, why shouldn't a high-priced event such as the Summernats also suffer?
Perhaps. I know there's at least 10 of us that no longer attend due to the bogan element... and judging by this thread alone there are a lot more.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #87
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

anyone that's never been before and reads this thread would almost get the impression that as soon as you enter Natex/EPIC your family is going to get raped...
i'm not saying there are no bogans etc, and bad crap doesnt happen, but if you keep away from 'lunatic lane' on sat arvo and night, and the cruise route by the pavilions after 8ish on sat night it's fine.
there were heaps of families there at the show'n'shine, trade pavilions, burnouts etc on friday and sat, and all around the oval for the supercruise/'stunt' show... kids, teenage girls etc all having a good time..

or maybe that was just a hallucination, and it really was a rape/bash/stab/fully sick fest..
Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #88
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
iv been the last couple of years and didnt go this year more so cause of the econermory and justifying the prices for everything.

i would never take a women with me again as at about 2:00 on the saturday we had to leave as she was getting harassed by a large group of a certian ethnic background

from what i see its a certain non ethnic background that get sloshed on warm beer and do the harrassing.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #89
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
wat happens in march?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...s/1400405.aspx

Quote:
He said a decision would be made on the future of the event in March.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #90
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I wouldn't take my missus either or any half decent looking female relatives. Because I have seen and heard the abuse yelled at them if they don't get their tits out. And it's not always the ethnic background fellas but because they are always in large numbers they are the ones to worry about. But it won't stop me going again I really enjoyed myself last time and look forward to going again, but if I were female I wouldn't go any where near the joint.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post