Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #61
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: So I bought a Jeep......

Would members please stick to the original subject and stop turning this thread into a spitting contest.

Otherwise it may have a very short life.

Last edited by GasoLane; 25-11-2015 at 01:31 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #62
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Good thing Ford hasn't ever had any reliability issues. You never hear anyone bashing the stereotypically unreliable Ford!
You haven't been on any Holden forums then!! Hahaha
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #63
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for a drive in Perth and there are grand Cherokees everywhere, the general manager was about to beat me with her bag when I was saying "there a jeep" to everyone I saw
Old 25-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #64
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
You haven't been on any Holden forums then!! Hahaha
Or a Mazda Forum....Do a search on there problematic diesel engine for starters...
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #65
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
I wasn't comparing Jeep to Falcon, I was comparing it to every other manufacturer.

I take interest in these matters because I like to expose these cars for the garbage that they really are. Unlike others, I don't get sucked in by slick marketing campaigns and can see right through them.
For years we have had to put up with criticism of local cars and how inferior they are to imports. I take great delight in proving how wrong people are about this.
What's your experience with the current Jeep range tempted?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #66
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Personally none of course, as I would never be stupid enough to part with my hard earned money for one.
There are enough horror stories out there to be able to form an opinion without needing to own one....unless you are suggesting the horror stories are all false and it's just a great big conspirasy against Jeep.
Didn't say anything of the sort, you seem to have a strong anti Jeep opinion so was wondering what real experience you have.

As you noted, you clearly don't and have formed your opinion by looking for Jeep horror stories yet your seemingly ignoring all the good stories from OWNERS and a mechanic who services 5 of these vehicles. Therefore, i'd suggest your opinion is unbalanced.

I'd suggest the biggest problem in recent years with Jeep Australia is Clyde Campbell (Google his exploits). He was successful in promoting the brand but it was all about sales (making $$), the backup was very poor (cost $$) and Jeep dealer service was rubbish as a consequence. Owners become frustrated when they take their vehicles back with a warranty issue time and time again hence many of these horror stories.

Clyde and his successor Veronica Johns have gone and the current FCA chief has made big changes to Jeeps backup and this is quite noticeable at the dealers, they are quite willing to do a little extra now, for instance, I had them install the wiring loom to actuate dynamic gridlines on my Larado which doesn't have them) - its a half day job.

That's not to say the vehicles themselves don't have issues, they do like other brands but its the way the company deals with these issues that generates some of these 'horror stories'.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #67
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
I have empirical data and service experience to back my hypothesis. You have..........
...an open mind.
Old 25-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #68
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

Has the OP made the right choice?

Only time will tell!

What you have to remember,is that he has bought the vehicle,not you.

Yes there is a lot of,horror stories about Jeep,but you will find horror stories,on any car forum,world wide.

Some of you will never,own a Jeep this being based,on known factual issues.

But for those who have,or will buy a Jeep in the future and never have a issue,it is a moot point.

The OP stated clearly,he bought a Jeep he didn't buy it,to please the AFF masses,
he bought it because it ticked,all the boxes in a vehicle,that meets his needs,not everyone else.

If you don't like the fact,that he bought a Jeep! one word TUFF,the OP hasn't turned around and said,he doesn't the like the fact,that you drive around in poorly,designed Australian car.

So the fact is the OP bought a Jeep and others haven't,so show a little respect,for each others individualism.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS New One Coming

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont,LX Focus

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Didn't say anything of the sort, you seem to have a strong anti Jeep opinion so was wondering what real experience you have.

As you noted, you clearly don't and have formed your opinion by looking for Jeep horror stories yet your seemingly ignoring all the good stories from OWNERS and a mechanic who services 5 of these vehicles. Therefore, i'd suggest your opinion is unbalanced.

I'd suggest the biggest problem in recent years with Jeep Australia is Clyde Campbell (Google his exploits). He was successful in promoting the brand but it was all about sales (making $$), the backup was very poor (cost $$) and Jeep dealer service was rubbish as a consequence. Owners become frustrated when they take their vehicles back with a warranty issue time and time again hence many of these horror stories.

Clyde and his successor Veronica Johns have gone and the current FCA chief has made big changes to Jeeps backup and this is quite noticeable at the dealers, they are quite willing to do a little extra now, for instance, I had them install the wiring loom to actuate dynamic gridlines on my Larado which doesn't have them) - its a half day job.

That's not to say the vehicles themselves don't have issues, they do like other brands but its the way the company deals with these issues that generates some of these 'horror stories'.
Going off recent articles in carsguide (I know, I know), things seems to have not changed one bit with Jeep. Apparently a lot of Jeep dealers are scathing of the lack of support they get from head office, not to mention the ridiculous waiting times to get parts bought in. Seems very little has changed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #70
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Going off recent articles in carsguide (I know, I know), things seems to have not changed one bit with Jeep. Apparently a lot of Jeep dealers are scathing of the lack of support they get from head office, not to mention the ridiculous waiting times to get parts bought in. Seems very little has changed.
Unfortunately, some twat drove into the side of mine last week, 10 days to get the parts (front RHS fender+ associated trim, lower windscreen plastic trim) because they had to come from the Eastern states by truck. Bonnets, chrome trim, badges was available in Perth. I also had some internal trim replaced due to a third party damaging it, all available in Perth.

I'm not saying there isn't issue still, just reporting my very recent experience.
Old 27-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #71
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Personally none of course, as I would never be stupid enough to part with my hard earned money for one.
There are enough horror stories out there to be able to form an opinion without needing to own one....unless you are suggesting the horror stories are all false and it's just a great big conspirasy against Jeep.
but your stupid enough making comment on something you have had no ownership experience of
Quoted in a previous post of yours
"I take interest in these matters because I like to expose these cars for the garbage that they really are. Unlike others, I don't get sucked in by slick marketing campaigns and can see right through them.
For years we have had to put up with criticism of local cars and how inferior they are to imports. I take great delight in proving how wrong people are about this."

Maybe your girlfriend or wife ran off with a JEEP owner to get away from a bitter
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #72
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How's this for a plan, first 3 years you have warranty, they fix **** for you for free, at the end of 3 years if its a lemon, get rid of it, new jeep, new car, new brand whatever you feel like, if it's been trouble free keep it or get another jeep, same situation that every person that buys a car deals with either new or secondhand, I had a XR8 I bought new in 04 by 06 it was gone, to much wrong with it, bought a SS, still have it now and just clicked over 10 years old, only done the cooling system and aircon which I think is well and truly fair after 10 years in Kalgoorlie heat, I haven't even changed a globe in it! My AU XR8 I've had for 8 years, same story, it's cost me a power steer pump and air con compressor after 15 years of use,
Old 27-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #73
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
I don't recall any of my posts being personal attacks on people
Well, you kinda did, insinuating all Jeep owners as stupid.

Quote:
I would never be stupid enough to part with my hard earned money for one.
Personally I find it funny that all the bagging is about Jeep, when in reality Jeep is just a make of vehicle, just like Ford, GM, Toyota etc...
I'm no fan of Falcons, but then I don't slag off Ford as crap, because they do have some great vehicles.
Jeep also have some crap vehicles, Patriot, Compass etc
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #74
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Had a call from a mate, just last night, in fact. He's been winging to Jeep about the rear brakes on his jeep for about 12 months, it's a manual.

Anyhow, yesterday he left it parked in his driveway, yes, sloping, in neutral, hand brake engaged and yes at some stage it rolled down the drive across the suburban street and down into the gully full of scrub opposite his house.

He managed to get it outa there but the back of the thing is a mess.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #75
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Had a call from a mate, just last night, in fact. He's been winging to Jeep about the rear brakes on his jeep for about 12 months, it's a manual.

Anyhow, yesterday he left it parked in his driveway, yes, sloping, in neutral, hand brake engaged and yes at some stage it rolled down the drive across the suburban street and down into the gully full of scrub opposite his house.

He suspects it has a brake problem and he leaves it out of gear on a slope was he hoping for a right-off?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #76
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How old is this Jeep..? and what Model

what do year mean he managed to get outa there? did he jump?

or if its parked up engine off normal practice in a manual is to put it in gear as an extra security. especially if there is concern with the brakes.

so why is the Car at Fault here?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
what do year mean he managed to get outa there? did he jump?
I think Burntout said "he managed to get IT outa there"
Old 30-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #78
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry, must put my Glasses on!
Old 30-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #79
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
You mean a 'write off?'
You can't really blame the bloke if that was the case. He was probably at his wits end as Jeep couldn't or wouldn't fix his brakes properly.
The more I read the more it becomes apparent to me that Jeep is completely devoid of any morals and ethics and simply washes their hands of their customers as soon as a sale has been made. Then again, they did have a ceo who was allegedly living the high life on the company's expense account, so nothing should really come as a surprise.
IF you are really that concerned about people buying Jeep and/or actually want to know about the level of issues, jump over to jeepgarage.org and have a read (not only the issues, but the very many happy owners (and from people that actually have or do own a Jeep). Look across ALL recent models not just one.

Basing your thoughts about Jeep's on a couple of news reports, or basing current thinking on old models, or thinking the all Jeep models are having major issues, is just plain wrong.

Yes they have issues, yes some more than others, yes a couple of people out there are not happy with the level of service, response they may have received from FCA. But seriously, some of the comments and generalisations on this thread are Hulk worthy (aka no basis in reality).

Given your previous comment being "For years we have had to put up with criticism of local cars and how inferior they are to imports. I take great delight in proving how wrong people are about this" I don't hold much hope that you will actually do the above, but whilst I don't expect it to change your opinion, at least you'll be basing your opinion on actuals, not just a couple of media reports (which for other brands there are plenty recent ones out there), or some other pie in the sky stuff.

Good luck!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #80
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

For every 1 horror story you hear there are probably 50 owners who have had no problems at all, so they don't go online saying how they bought the car and it hasn't broken down yet.

I have heard some horror stories of Ford products. But most of this forum seam not to have any horror stories to tell.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #81
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have never owned a Jeep but there's a couple of things that would make me wary of buying one.

My son-in-law bought a new 300S 18 months or so ago. A couple of small issues plus an auto transmission that didn't seem to know which gear it should be in.

Dealer made his life a misery. S-I-L ended up escalating it to the QLD Chrysler Rep who intervened with the dealer on his behalf. Long story short - nothing much improved.

SIL traded 300S 6 months ago. Couldn't take any more crap.

More recently, I had an ex-Chrysler/Jeep/Whatever salesman through work. Different dealer than SIL's but much the same story. He ended up leaving and going to a Hyundai dealership because of the constant harassment by unhappy customers (plus the **** way the employer treated staff).

I'll be buying a new car after xmas. I don't mind 300S's or Jeeps but I really don't want to be on the wrong side of a **** dealer if there's a prob. Same for any car but there seems to be enough anecdotal evidence regarding Chry/Jeep customer service to make me think twice.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #82
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Had a mate come pick me up in my Falcon, stopped on a small slope, engaged the handbrake, he put it in N and jumped out of the drivers seat and into the passengers seat... As I quickly ran over to the drivers side to engage the foot brake before it rolled into a brand new car at the dealership!

Thats my mate with no experience with Falcons and their ****** Handbrakes (when not properly adjusted that is, as 90% arent)

But YOUR mate has no excuse, he owns the JEEP.

This pic is taken from the owners manual of my Jeep, clearly stating to park in first - Feel free to show it to him.

mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #83
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Had a mate come pick me up in my Falcon, stopped on a small slope, engaged the handbrake, he put it in N and jumped out of the drivers seat and into the passengers seat... As I quickly ran over to the drivers side to engage the foot brake before it rolled into a brand new car at the dealership!
I'm afraid that your Falcon wouldn't pass the annual roadworthy here in NSW
Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #84
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I'm afraid that your Falcon wouldn't pass the annual roadworthy here in NSW
I'm in NSW. I usually adjust it up for the inspection if required. Adjusted it lasts good for the most part of a year.
Though having said that, I do go to a place who doesn't really look things over too closely. At best he will say "Car passed, but adjust that handbrake".
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #85
qdda5

Well, There's some great feedback as usual. Seems positive overall so that is a good thing. To me the stigma is based more upon the older model Jeeps rather than the newer ones. Personally I think Jeep have cleaned up there act considerably. 9k and still going strong for me. Grand Cherokee suits my needs perfectly. I feel the power figures are understated and would love to throw on a Dyno. Have had my share of modified cars and this isn't bad for what its having to haul around. The Penstar motor shines right there.
Space, ride, power, balance and economy tick all the right boxes for me.
As well as some quirky stuff that keeps me entertained.
Air con is outstanding!!!!!!!!

One thing I will share is the reason I bought the Jeep in the first place.
I am 50 and have been pretty much a Ford man all my life. Have been waiting for the Mustangs to arrive in Aus since I was a kid like most others on his site. I started having issues with my hip and went to see a specialist about it. Yep, hip replacement. Not one side but both .... Bugger. One will be happening soon and the other prob 5 years away. My dreams of a Mustang shattered. I have waited forever now Im too old to have one. Lol. Would get in but getting out a task in itself.
Anyway, I liked the look of the GC and couldn't be happier.
Maybe I could put a lift kit in the stang.
Thanks again for the feedback guys. FFS is an amazing site and I always enjoy being apart of it.
Cheers
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #86
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so i just droped my jeep off for its first dealer service. I have 80k on it now. Servicing it locally until now.

after lots of research (and no way i am going back to castle hill dealer) i choose mcarthur chrysler. well see how that goes but they have a good rep and were pretty good when dropping it in (knew straight away the gear box didnt need a change if it was done previously per the book)

warranty issues to be fixed (never been to dealer for a fix yet so i have saved them all up)

drivers seat not working (loose wires)
rear shock mounts (known issue .... now but was a struggle for owners to get a solution for years)
car looses all power for 5 minutes once a month (loose terminal i think but it is under the drivers seat so they can look at it)
electric throttle fault (just started yesterday if you give it the beans) - no idea
crusie control not working property (just needs a flash - known issue)

Sounds a lot but not that bad for one of the first of that model/spec. I usually dont stress and wait for issues to get sorted and then take it in so the dealer knows what they are doing.

got to say its still a great car and i love driving it. and if you do your own service (under the supervision of a licenced mechanic) they are cheap to maintain. (except for spares which are becoming better priced and easier to get)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #87
snowcone

I had the older style Cherokee for about 3 months.
That was all I could handle owning it for with all the faults.
The dealer didn't seem to be able to fix them and Jeep didn't bother even getting back to me until 2 months after I had sold it.
Besides overheating and shutting down constantly, faulty sensors, and other annoying things, the biggest bugbear was the transmission that didn't know what gear it needed to be in. It spent the whole time upshifting and then downshifting if you drove over a match head.
Lost money but pleased to be out of it.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #88
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
I had the older style Cherokee for about 3 months.
That was all I could handle owning it for with all the faults.
The dealer didn't seem to be able to fix them and Jeep didn't bother even getting back to me until 2 months after I had sold it.
Besides overheating and shutting down constantly, faulty sensors, and other annoying things, the biggest bugbear was the transmission that didn't know what gear it needed to be in. It spent the whole time upshifting and then downshifting if you drove over a match head.
Lost money but pleased to be out of it.
sorry Cherokee's were pretty rubbish, don't compare them to the new Grand Cherokees
Old 17-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #89
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
so i just droped my jeep off for its first dealer service. I have 80k on it now. Servicing it locally until now.

after lots of research (and no way i am going back to castle hill dealer) i choose mcarthur chrysler. well see how that goes but they have a good rep and were pretty good when dropping it in (knew straight away the gear box didnt need a change if it was done previously per the book)

warranty issues to be fixed (never been to dealer for a fix yet so i have saved them all up)

drivers seat not working (loose wires)
rear shock mounts (known issue .... now but was a struggle for owners to get a solution for years)
car looses all power for 5 minutes once a month (loose terminal i think but it is under the drivers seat so they can look at it)
electric throttle fault (just started yesterday if you give it the beans) - no idea
crusie control not working property (just needs a flash - known issue)

Sounds a lot but not that bad for one of the first of that model/spec. I usually dont stress and wait for issues to get sorted and then take it in so the dealer knows what they are doing.

got to say its still a great car and i love driving it. and if you do your own service (under the supervision of a licenced mechanic) they are cheap to maintain. (except for spares which are becoming better priced and easier to get)
So did all the known and warranty issues get rectified at service?
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #90
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
sorry Cherokee's were pretty rubbish, don't compare them to the new Grand Cherokees
But I still paid good money for it and it was a lemon that Jeep wouldn't support.
Not much has changed here!
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post