Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #61
Trendseeker

Falcon wagon luggage capacity (second row seats up): 1260l
Falcon wagon luggage capacity (second row seats down): 2584l
Territory luggage capacity (second row seats up): 1153l
Territory luggage capacity (second row seats down): 2541L

Not much in it really.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #62
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I'm sure the wagon has a significantly longer loading length with back seats down.

I need the load length, don't want the height, weight or fuel consumption of the Terri.

One FG XR6 wagon with premium interior here please.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #63
systema
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
My thoughts are that Ford will add the FG engine and 5spd drivetrain by spending $10M and create the BF4. That there is no interior mod’s either. No way to get 5 stars without those airbags in the B series body either. This simply means it is not a long term solution. But, it would then suffice for another 18mths (8000 units) bringing the R&D cost down to $1250 per car. This though, means you NEVER attract new private customers and perhaps a dwindling business base too.

Burela said 2 months ago that the FG wagon has been designed. What he didn't say is that it isn't engineered. That will take a while. Certainly more than the 7-8 mths we now have left until 1st July 2010. But could do it within 12-15mths. This would cost about $100-$110M based on the VE SW. You could then say, that would be the last substantial facelift it needed until 2015 when the FG platform gets retired.

I think comparing #2 FG SW R&D cost permutation to the BF4 costs is the most apt. Why? Workcover is trying to push 5star safety for work vehicles. This would spell the end for the BF4 business fleet business. So, essentially the cost difference is $850-$1750 longer term for R&D. Have a look at the price of an SV6 SW compared to SV6 sedan and FG XR6 sedan. In order it’s $41990da, $37990da & $36990da. I think the $4k retail pricing difference more than offsets the R&D cost.

I hope Ford builds an FG SW, but keeps the vast bulk of the BF practicality.
How about using the FG ute's floorpan? It already has a longer wheelbase than the current wagon. What Ford needs to do is really engineer a new rear end to mate with the ute's cab (plus all the interior stuff as well, but they can raid the current Territory and BF wagon's parts bins for them).

Considering that it already has a 4-star ANCAP rating with scores close to 5-star. Throw in a pair of side / curtain airbags should make it eligible for pole test, which is likely to be able to bring it up to 5-star.

Drivetrain can be the same as the ute, with only some tweaking to suspension to handle the additional weight of the wagon body. It certainly sounds more viable than investing into an outgoing platform (BF 4), considering that the FG is a current platform and is likely to form the basis of Huntsman.

Quote:
I also think that adding an FG front to the current platform would be a big mistake. Taking the FG as a range downmarket, particularly perception, which is the opposite of what the sedan has been doing.
Ford probably should market the wagon and the ute under a different name as commercial vehicles imho, just so that they can position the FG sedan and the Terry as premium products instead of fleet specials. More differntiations should also be made around the front end of the car to separate them from the sedan range.
systema is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #64
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG ute is a seperate chassis behind the front seat. The styleside is just a box that bolts to it. So you cant put a wagon rear on it. So effectively every ute from au on can be turned into a trayback.

My money is on either the BF wagon being retired, or given FG drivetrains and kept alive for another 18 months depending on whether customers like telstra will buy it.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #65
systema
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
FG ute is a seperate chassis behind the front seat. The styleside is just a box that bolts to it. So you cant put a wagon rear on it. So effectively every ute from au on can be turned into a trayback.
With the rear bulkhead of the cab is removed, Ford should be able to engineer a rearend to bolt onto where the current tub goes, kinda like the Matra Rancho. Once the rear bulkhead is removed, the current B-Pillars can be replaced by the sedan equivalents, allowing them to attach the rear doors. Floor of the rear seat may be a bit tricky, as the chassis rail may intrude into the floor of the rear seat, but the current storage area behind the driver and passenger seats may be utilized to create some space for the rear seats (w/ the rear seats mounted on the rear chassis rails).

Last edited by systema; 18-11-2009 at 11:57 PM.
systema is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #66
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
You could (maybe) build a panel van on it though.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #67
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon wagon under cloud
STEVE COLQUHOUN AND RICHARD BLACKBURN
November 19, 2009 - 1:34PM
Ford Falcon Wagon

Ford Falcon Wagon

Ford’s Falcon wagon, a staple of Aussie families for almost five decades, looks set to meet its maker just months before its 50th birthday.

In a move that could provide a pointer to the future of the entire Falcon range, the Ford wagon looks set to fall victim to the smaller and more efficient Mondeo, imported from Europe.

Ford decided against updating the wagon version of the Falcon when it introduced its new FG range last year, sticking with the car’s outdated rear suspension and existing four-speed transmission so that it could offer the car at a reduced price to fleet customers.

But the wagon has been comprehensively beaten in the sales race by Holden’s svelte-looking new Commodore Sportwagon, which has been a big hit, regularly outselling the most popular four-wheel-drives on the market.

The Commodore has outsold the Falcon despite a significantly smaller load area, which has Ford reconsidering whether the mid-sized Mondeo wagon would be better equipped to take the fight to the Sportwagon.

The Mondeo is smaller, more modern and more fuel-efficient than the Falcon, but has a bigger load area than the Commodore.

“We’ve been please with the Mondeo acceptance and the wagon in particular is now starting to attract an enormous amount of interest from fleets, the government, and we’re seeing interest from small business and the private buyer,” Ford president Marin Burela told journalists this week.

“The Falcon wagon has been a great vehicle for us and we’re continuing to monitor and study it. The great challenge is to make sure we’re not competing with ourselves in the actual market and what we’re beginning to see is that more and more of our customers that have bought into the Falcon wagon are now looking at the Mondeo and saying ‘wow, the package of the Mondeo is outstanding’.

“So we’re looking at this and talking to our customers and asking them, ‘what is it that you want?’. We haven’t made any firm or definitive decision on anything. We will probably be in a position by the end of this year or by early January to be able to make a declaration on where we’re going with the Falcon wagon.”

In contrast with the wagon, the Falcon sedan last month outsold its Commodore rival for the first time since 2006. But doubts remain about the long term future of the Falcon range, with the Mondeo looming as a likely long-term successor.

The cars are very similar in size and will soon be powered by the same twin-turbo four-cylinder engine, prompting speculation that Ford may decide it’s no longer economical to build two similar cars on different platforms.
Old 19-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #68
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Geez they talk cr@p!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #69
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha ha ha, I never knew the Falcon was in so much trouble.... I guess we should all run for the hills? Swear filter stops me from saying what I really feel.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #70
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Falcon wagon under cloud
STEVE COLQUHOUN AND RICHARD BLACKBURN

In contrast with the wagon, the Falcon sedan last month outsold its Commodore rival for the first time since 2006. But doubts remain about the long term future of the Falcon range, with the Mondeo looming as a likely long-term successor.

The cars are very similar in size and will soon be powered by the same twin-turbo four-cylinder engine, prompting speculation that Ford may decide it’s no longer economical to build two similar cars on different platforms.
I was thinking most of that article was typical Drive / Blackburn stuff. Then, there was the highlight about the FG sedan outselling VE sedan. But it soon retraced to the Falcon is doomed. Then got even more inaccurate and stupid with talk of a twin turbo 4cyl. Idiots. Absolute idiots.

Perhaps they could mention that dropping the wagon could open up the possibility of building more sedans, which are at 95% XR & G series...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #71
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the people who are deadset against the falcon being replaced with the Mondeo, are you actually in the market for a Falcon Wagon, ever owned one or looking to buy one in the forseable future, or is it for the reason that a FWD car will replace a RWD one that this decision does not sit well?

Ford are in the business of selling cars and making money. If they arn't doing it with the Falcon Wagon, and Mondeo Sales are on the increase, then how is it such a bad move. You would expect them to try and do something about it. What would you prefer, brand survival, or dwindling sales and increased dominance of Holden?

There is a greater percentage of buyers out there who are looking for value for money, have no brand loyalty and will seek the best deal they can get. If the Mondeo brings these people through the doors and into a Ford, then it has to be a step in the right direction.

While both Falcon and Mondeo are made by the Ford Motor Company, I am happy to see Ford take on the others and succeed, rather than try to survive on the idea that theres a percentage of Australian's who are against the Mondeo, yet would never put their money where their mouth is an buy the product they are trying their hardest to see survive.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #72
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Ford are in the business of selling cars and making money. If they arn't doing it with the Falcon Wagon, and Mondeo Sales are on the increase, then how is it such a bad move. You would expect them to try and do something about it. What would you prefer, brand survival, or dwindling sales and increased dominance of Holden?
Fair points, but you'll probably find the Falcon Wagon currently outsells the entire Mondeo range. It's about horses for courses, and selling your customers what they need, not what you can deliver with the least amount of commitment.
Old 19-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #73
xrford
WAGONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Well guys and gals, the AU2 is being traded in next week - for an SSV Sportwagon. Yes, a Holden.
Extremely happy as the Sportwagon offers all the space and grunt I could ever need, and it's a shame Ford did not see fit to continue develop their Falcon wagon range, but hey, what can you do.
Cheers guys,

Andy B.

If Ford sold a falcon sportswagon for everytime i heard this^^^^^^ then theyd be wishing they got onto it sooner!
I realise theyre not exactly doing it easy and its crucial to keep sales figures on the rise but times and trends have changed since the e series XR wagon... or is it a case of once bitten twice shy?
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #74
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrford
If Ford sold a falcon sportswagon for everytime i heard this^^^^^^ then theyd be wishing they got onto it sooner!
I realise theyre not exactly doing it easy and its crucial to keep sales figures on the rise but times and trends have changed since the e series XR wagon... or is it a case of once bitten twice shy?

Nothing of the sort. I always smile at the way we all seem to think that Ford has unlmited resources, and that they can develop whatever platform they want. It doesn't work like that in the real world, where everything has to be justified and every cent scutinised.

Holden only got their Sportswagon developed because they were going to send it to the US as a G8 Wagon. Same with the Ute. If the American Dollars didn't get thrown into this, there would not be a wagon down the line at Elizabeth. Fords wagon, for better or worse, has paid for itself, but it isn't as easy as it might look to justify another. Especially as the Falcon wagon is now a one of a kind vehicle. There is not another one anywhere else in the world, and even then, I think its days are numbered.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #75
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
All the people who are deadset against the falcon being replaced with the Mondeo, are you actually in the market for a Falcon Wagon, ever owned one or looking to buy one in the forseable future, or is it for the reason that a FWD car will replace a RWD one that this decision does not sit well?

There is a greater percentage of buyers out there who are looking for value for money, have no brand loyalty and will seek the best deal they can get. If the Mondeo brings these people through the doors and into a Ford, then it has to be a step in the right direction.

While both Falcon and Mondeo are made by the Ford Motor Company, I am happy to see Ford take on the others and succeed, rather than try to survive on the idea that theres a percentage of Australian's who are against the Mondeo, yet would never put their money where their mouth is an buy the product they are trying their hardest to see survive.
\

Well said. Fact is as everyone knows 98% of falcon wagon sales are fleets. If ford can convince enough of those fleets that a mondeo wagon (prob diesel) is just as good or more importantly better than the VE sportwagon then bye bye Falcon wagon. Its about investment and maximising returns. Due to the RWD and horsepower (FPV etc) situation the Falcon sedan has a solid future for at least the forseeable future. BUT, the lower sales of wagon means it needs to really justify the expenditure. Given the sportwgaon would be more expensive and atcually smaller in load area a mondeo wagon could be just the ticket and cost Ford Aus 0 bucks in development. Why should they spend money on the FG wagon (at least 150-200mil depending on how much work has been done and/or is carry over) if they can keep 80-90% if their current fleet clients??

Thinking longer term what is wrong with pitching diesel mondeos/diesel territories as effective replacments for the wagon depending on role? Hell the ecoboost I4 mondeo wagon (which could be here in 2011) would be no slower than an current LPG BF wagon anyway....and be safer, have more kit, and cost less. And it ain't that much smaller inside believe me.

I'd love the Falcon wagon to continue on, but just like Ford's decision to stop fairlaine turned out be right (witness much lower statesman/caprice sales since then) so too might the wagon. As paxton says the VE sportwagon got off the ground because it was meant for export (same as long wheelbase) and its been responsible for alot of substituting of the VE sedan anyway. Having driven a mondeo hatch i can't for the life of me think why anyone would go the BFIII wagon over a mondeo....for private or fleet use. RWD aint' worth that much to me. Moreover would an FG wagon be that much better/more capable then an mondeo wagon with I4T?? Probably not enough for Ford to justify the cost anyway....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #76
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I was thinking most of that article was typical Drive / Blackburn stuff. Then, there was the highlight about the FG sedan outselling VE sedan. But it soon retraced to the Falcon is doomed. Then got even more inaccurate and stupid with talk of a twin turbo 4cyl. Idiots. Absolute idiots.

Perhaps they could mention that dropping the wagon could open up the possibility of building more sedans, which are at 95% XR & G series...
Someone asked in another thread if the 'good press' drive and other media outlets were giving ford lately would reverse our 'view' of them as dodgy. Well no, it wouldhn't have. Drive has always been a misinformed, biased, sensationalist two bit drivel of a website and this just provides further proof. There is so much wrong with that piece one struggles to comprehend it. I've had Holden fans admit to me that Drive seems anti-Ford and here is further evidence. The bias is compounded by ludicrously long shots at proving the falcon is 'doomed'. I mean logic alone says it woud be hard for Ford to engineer a situation where the Mondeo, which sells at barely 10-15% of Falcon sales would somehow replace its RWD brother any time soon. As for th I4T comonality pleeeaase.....so a Mondeo diesel is buggered because a Focus diesel uses the same engine????? Claptrap. This isn't even a good beat up anyway....its inconsistent with a veiled reference to Commodore being outsold in sedan form. So now is the VE sedan doomed too?? FFS what a disgrace some modern journos (not just car guys) truy are.

I remember talking to a former journalist who told me that the aussie media business is just 'too small' to have proper impartiailty at the top level. A handfull of journos control the big 'stories' etc. Well it a bit like that in the automotive media....about 8 or 9 guys put out the bulk of the syndicated drivel. When you take into account many of them are former employees/racers/assocaites etc of car companies you wonder why so much straight bias is present. Throw in the uninformed hacks that write for the 'dodgy' websites who go after sensationalism rather than true journalism and you can see why we end up with such quality reporting....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #77
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silly question to those that want a Falcon Sports Wagon (might be a good poll topic). Would you be happy (consider buying) if Ford imported the Mondeo Titanium (both Petrol & diesel) or even XR5 in wagon form? Or does it have to be Falcon to make them happy?

I can understand peoples need for a “Sport” style wagon & the fact the current Mondeo range stops short of upper spec models & diesel..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #78
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I saw a Mondeo wagon in a dealership late July, I still have not seen one on the road. In answer to your question Joe5619 I would be happy driving a Mondeo wagon BUT at the momemt I dont think the 4 banger has enough punch, maybe a Titanium oil burner if it was avaialble.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #79
Bodizephr
AnArChIst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Silly question to those that want a Falcon Sports Wagon (might be a good poll topic). Would you be happy (consider buying) if Ford imported the Mondeo Titanium (both Petrol & diesel) or even XR5 in wagon form? Or does it have to be Falcon to make them happy?

I can understand peoples need for a “Sport” style wagon & the fact the current Mondeo range stops short of upper spec models & diesel..

The argument from my side is payload/carry space. I would dearly love a territory, besides fuel economy being a negative, i can almost store more stuff in the boot of my ef sedan than in the back of a territory. I also have an EF wagon, and the amount of space is paramount for us, especially with a family of 5 when we go camping.

So what is the alternative?? The mondeo has no real towing capability (what front wheel drive does?), so if you want a car for recreation, work and family with the XR5 or the Mondeo deliver this? I think not.

Sport wagon, nice gimmick (seems to be working for holden) and could definatly bolster sales IMO, but lets not forget what the wagon was built for. Shes a family work horse. The ground work is already there to update. The rear end from the ute (remember people its not a race car), the fg box and engine, some panels on the front and interior update (all of which should just about bolt in from the sedan, in the front at least), some pretty skirts like the SR AU falcon gimmick had and the 17" XR wheels, OH DAMN, you have a sport wagon, which can actually do some work.

Will be a sad day in fords history if we loose the LWB wagon. I get the argument for profit, and consumer demand and if the consumer demands a mondeo then so be it. More fuel efficient, blah blah blah, but remember this: ford ditched the V8 in the XF in a similar argument didnt they. Funnily enough i saw Boss 260 on my way to work this morning. Bad decisions can be undone.

I6 Assassin
Bodizephr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #80
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi there first post, great site!

Stumbled across this forum whilst googling info on a new Falcon wagon - Saw a TV ad for the $36,990 XR6 and we really want a wagon one - I currently have a AU2 Fairmont sedan.

Reading the posts though it looks like Ford is not going to bring one out. Ford is crazy if they think the future is sedans, people want much more versatility in their cars, and sedans are very 1990s. Look at all the SUVs, CUVs and hatchbacks on the road, thousands of sedan sales are turning over to vehicles which can offer their owners a lot more practicality and utility. My wife has a Ford Escape, and after living with that for a year I know my next car will not be a sedan.

How can Ford sell 400 or sometimes more wagons a month with only one trim at XT level, 4 star safety, 4 speed trans and only in 6 cylinder, in a body which is 11 years old and yet with all these sales still not see a market there (and by the way, outsells the entire Mondeo range every month)!. Whats even more amazing is that ford only sell about 100 XT sedans a month which has 5 star safety,5 speed auto, updated engines in a new body and interior. Imagine the sales of a new FG wagon with a full range including XR and G series.

The Holden wagon has outsold every SUV for the year - even without a LPG variant, and yet Ford thinks noone wants an Australian made, rear wheel drive wagon, in a variety of trims, models and engines.

Ford AU is very typical of an American company, instead of Ford asking what people want, they are telling people want they want. Buyers want a Falcon wagon, Ford is saying buy a Mondeo.

Its like last year at our work, we wanted to replace about 70 to 75 of our old Hiluxes with Falcon RTVs due to excellent feedback from other construction contractors we deal with. Fords response, "Ford is no longer producing the RTV, however we believe the updated Ranger is an excellent substitute". Sorry Ford, we wanted the RTV. Our new utes are still Hiluxes (I think these Hiluxes must bankroll the chiropractor industry, just an awful,
uncomfortable ute in base guise).

I hope my points arent insulting Ford followers as I am a real Ford enthusiast (I have bought 12 new Fords in my time). But gee is Ford turning into a company which cancels cars instead of developing them further (another American company trait), they let cars whither on the vine with no development then cancel them due to the 'lack of sales'. Although not thinking long-term and not pumping money back into the company must generate a better short-term annual performance bonus for the current flavour of the month CEO....

Holden has spent a fortune advertising the humble wagon to make it relevant again to Australian families. Ford can ride the coat-tails of this - with a more practical wagon with more space, better towing, more power, better interior and exterior design, better trans with an LPG option and down the track add the EcoBoost engine.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #81
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Stumbled across this forum whilst googling info on a new Falcon wagon - Saw a TV ad for the $36,990 XR6 and we really want a wagon one - I currently have a AU2 Fairmont sedan.

Reading the posts though it looks like Ford is not going to bring one out. Ford is crazy if they think the future is sedans, people want much more versatility in their cars, and sedans are very 1990s. Look at all the SUVs, CUVs and hatchbacks on the road, thousands of sedan sales are turning over to vehicles which can offer their owners a lot more practicality and utility. My wife has a Ford Escape, and after living with that for a year I know my next car will not be a sedan.

How can Ford sell 400 or sometimes more wagons a month with only one trim at XT level, 4 star safety, 4 speed trans and only in 6 cylinder, in a body which is 11 years old and yet with all these sales still not see a market there (and by the way, outsells the entire Mondeo range every month)!. Whats even more amazing is that ford only sell about 100 XT sedans a month which has 5 star safety,5 speed auto, updated engines in a new body and interior. Imagine the sales of a new FG wagon with a full range including XR and G series.

The Holden wagon has outsold every SUV for the year - even without a LPG variant, and yet Ford thinks noone wants an Australian made, rear wheel drive wagon, in a variety of trims, models and engines.

Ford AU is very typical of an American company, instead of Ford asking what people want, they are telling people want they want. Buyers want a Falcon wagon, Ford is saying buy a Mondeo.

Its like last year at our work, we wanted to replace about 70 to 75 of our old Hiluxes with Falcon RTVs due to excellent feedback from other construction contractors we deal with. Fords response, "Ford is no longer producing the RTV, however we believe the updated Ranger is an excellent substitute". Sorry Ford, we wanted the RTV. Our new utes are still Hiluxes (I think these Hiluxes must bankroll the chiropractor industry, just an awful,

I hope my points arent insulting Ford followers as I am a real Ford enthusiast (I have bought 12 new Fords in my time). But gee is Ford turning into a company which cancels cars instead of developing them further (another American company trait), they let cars whither on the vine with no development then cancel them due to the 'lack of sales'. Although not thinking long-term and not pumping money back into the company must generate a better short-term annual performance bonus for the current flavour of the month CEO....

Holden has spent a fortune advertising the humble wagon to make it relevant again to Australian families. Ford can ride the coat-tails of this - with a more practical wagon with more space, better towing, more power, better interior and exterior design, better trans with an LPG option and down the track add the EcoBoost engine.
Many valid points made. But, I do think Ford are changing, at a great rate for the better. Both in the US and Australia.

I encourage you to go to the Ford Aus website and provide some feedback.

https://www.secure.ford.com.au/servl...=1137384211579

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #82
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mate i agree with you 100%. I hope Ford OZ are listening...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #83
xrford
WAGONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Nothing of the sort. I always smile at the way we all seem to think that Ford has unlmited resources, and that they can develop whatever platform they want. It doesn't work like that in the real world, where everything has to be justified and every cent scutinised.
What do you mean every cent scrutinised?..... F6X territory??? at the start of this year when they were axed they had sold a total of only 178 and still had 40 left in dealers which they were couldnt get rid of!
i would confidently say a new model falcon wagon would go alot further than one of them even if it is a completely new car.

Not only that as said before to make the mondeo a success first you have to convince all new fleet car buyers that the mondeo is a more practical car otherwise risk them jumping ship for the next best thing along with a huge loss for ford.
And even if they did all change to the mondeo what about in the 2-3 years max when resale comes up, think the falcon wagon resale isnt that crash hot now, good luck if you need a wagon and want to tow anything, and say goodbye to any traides and builders who would want to buy a modeo wagon, bye to the people who need the capacity of a falcon wagon and dont want a ute, and i honestly cant see mondeos getting around with roof racks on.
This is only for the people who use the wagon for commercial use id still buy a wagon for private use as long as it could tow a boat or trailer.
If the falcon wagon is axed and theres still a lot of people out here just after the 5 seats and a bigger boot than a sedan then it could work otherwise all i can say is hope things works out.

EDIT: brazen has said it all.

Last edited by xrford; 20-11-2009 at 01:09 PM.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #84
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

The Ranger (BT50) is an extremely capable competitor next to the Hilux espically in the base model level.

However as a former RTV operator, I'd still like to know why it was dropped.
Old 20-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #85
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i would confidently say a new model falcon wagon would go alot further than one of them even if it is a completely new car.

Not only that as said before to make the mondeo a success first you have to convince all new fleet car buyers that the mondeo is a more practical car otherwise risk them jumping ship for the next best thing along with a huge loss for ford.
And even if they did all change to the mondeo what about in the 2-3 years max when resale comes up, think the falcon wagon resale isnt that crash hot now, good luck if you need a wagon and want to tow anything, and say goodbye to any traides and builders who would want to buy a modeo wagon, bye to the people who need the capacity of a falcon wagon and dont want a ute, and i honestly cant see mondeos getting around with roof racks on.
This is only for the people who use the wagon for commercial use id still buy a wagon for private use as long as it could tow a boat or trailer.
If the falcon wagon is axed and theres still a lot of people out here just after the 5 seats and a bigger boot than a sedan then it could work otherwise all i can say is hope things works out.

I think Burela coming out and saying how wonderful the Mondeo wagon is as a fleet replacement for the Falcon must be making other carmakers licking their lips in anticipation. In marketing, you are always told to sell the differences in your product not the similarities - the Mondeo is like any other imported wagon on the market whereas Falcon wagon is unique.

As a fleet vehicle the Falcon wagon was a formidable product to be up against if your a compititor. How could you argue against: the most cargo room of any wagon, the highest payload, the biggest towing capacity, rear wheel drive, cheap maintenance sevice and parts, most power, most interior room, legendary durability and comfort, with LPG cheaper to run than a hybrid and Australian made.

If I was Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Skoda, VW and others I will be counting down the days till the Mondeo wagon replaces the Falcon. As a competitor they had no real answer to the Falcon wagon, but with the Mondeo taking over, it will be 'game on' for the other imports to steal Fords fleet business.
Old 20-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #86
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
What do you mean every cent scrutinised?..... F6X territory??? at the start of this year when they were axed they had sold a total of only 178 and still had 40 left in dealers which they were couldnt get rid of!
FPV is a different company with its own operating budget and is not under Ford's thumb with the R&D it can carry out.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #87
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the problem boys & girls is this.. All these people jumping up & down about keeping the Falcon Wagon, yet NONE of you are spending your money & buying it!! So who is Ford going to listen too? I'd say it current 400 fleet customers they have & not those that are not buy it now anyway!! Burela has already said he is asking the current Falcon Wagon buyers what they want. Side by side, Falcon & Mendeo.. The customer will decide this battle.. And this is current customers, not people that haven't bought a Falcon Wagon in a 100 years!!
Old 20-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #88
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Here is the problem boys & girls is this.. All these people jumping up & down about keeping the Falcon Wagon, yet NONE of you are spending your money & buying it!! So who is Ford going to listen too? I'd say it current 400 fleet customers they have & not those that are not buy it now anyway!! Burela has already said he is asking the current Falcon Wagon buyers what they want. Side by side, Falcon & Mendeo.. The customer will decide this battle.. And this is current customers, not people that haven't bought a Falcon Wagon in a 100 years!!

You already have Falcons nearest competitor averaging 1400 wagons a month, the customer is telling Ford what to do! The current Falcon wagon is 11 years old, only available in XT trim with no factory or dealer incentives for private buyers. Ford is determining the level of private purchases not the customer.
Old 20-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #89
shakows

I was reading this article on SMH and noticed this bit

the Falcon sedan last month outsold its Commodore rival for the first time since 2006

Did this really happen, I just dont remember seeing anything about this when the sales figures came out
shakows is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #90
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You already have Falcons nearest competitor averaging 1400 wagons a month, the customer is telling Ford what to do! The current Falcon wagon is 11 years old, only available in XT trim with no factory or dealer incentives for private buyers. Ford is determining the level of private purchases not the customer.
Not any more, it is closer to 1,000 & the competitor does not have the same type of Wagon as Ford does!! 2 Different cars for 2 different types of buyers.

Ford has the Territory & Holden has the Sports Wagon. When Territory was new it was selling 2K plus. We can't have everything, Ford does not have an endless pit of money. It is either the Territory or a sports Wagon & personally I think Territory is the way to go over sports Wagon!