Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #61
V8 EF Fairmont

The T-Series were the best looking cars Ford have ever built, and the XRs aren't too far behind.
V8 EF Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #62
ltd
Force Fed Fords

That's why I love Fords and especially my G6E-T, because they haven't designed their cars on maximum sales and therefore no soul, they have designed them on keeping their already loyal customer base whilst taking a few more. At my fathers factory, you wouldn't believe the amount of camry driving chinese people who love the look of the ford, nor the amount of them who are starting to bag how crappy their camry's are - in perfect broken english. Even one of his employees recently traded in his sportivo camry for a demo G6E-T, and he couldn't be happier. It sort of works on a multicultural bonding level, as this guy now acts like we're brothers in arms. Honestly, it's brilliant, and I think the looks of the FG are scoring big hits.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #63
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Cool

[QUOTE=ltd]......... At my fathers factory, you wouldn't believe the amount of camry driving chinese people who love the look of the ford, ...one recently traded in his sportivo camry for a demo G6E-T, and he couldn't be happier. /QUOTE]

Have you ever noticed how Sportivo drivers seem to think they are real boy racers. Seem to have a real chip on their shoulders.

Now imagine a camry sportivo driving Chinese in a I6 TURBO on public roiads.

Now thats a scary thought.

Last edited by Munroman; 03-03-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #64
ltd
Force Fed Fords

^^^^^^^^^^

Mate, this bloke has learnt his lesson, he's already lost 6 points in his first three months of ownership. I've seen him drive and he's very sedate now.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
prydey
Rob

this thread is not about the looks of the AU. some have missed the point. there is also some comments about the FG. these suffer from the same problem as the b series. i can sit in an XT and then hop in the top of the line G6ET and apart from some different trim materials and colours, the basic design is identical accross the whole range.

in the AU range if you hop from a forte to a ghia, you know you've just stepped into an upspec model.

i know it costs money but designing a whole new dash/interior for the luxury models would help sales and resale, plus the owners know they are the next level up.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #66
TZENU
XY Driv3r

When i was looking for a daily driver a year and a half ago (after selling the XR), i began initially looking at an EL XR8 and stumbled across a two-owner AU V8 ghia and at first i was reluctant to even look at it, but eventually convinced myself to at least take it for a test drive....... I was so impressed that 3 hours later i was back there with cash!...

And now that i have sold the AU i kind of miss it a little, yet 3 years ago i would have never considered one.!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #67
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

There were a myriad of changes on the journey from VT to VE: body inserts, lights, bumpers, wheel trims, different sheetmetal VX to VY, and even VY to VZ for the funky guard vents. Holden enthusiasts are pretty spoilt when it comes to interchangeable parts!

The Commodore has been evolved very carefully and slowly (and its paid off) if you look at a VX2 there are still VN styling cues there! The plastic insert on the C-Pillar, Door frames and rubbers, and the crease/indent on the guards.

Even though the VY update was far too sharp and clashed with the bubble shaped cabin in basic details it still flowed on from the VX, and you're right- compare a VZ exec to a VE one and its the same front end-on steroids.

If only we'd had a similar flow on effect in styling, imagine what a BA Ghia might've looked like if it'd been half way between an AU TS50 and an FG 6GE Turbo! :evil3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Holden have been the masters of this.

VT was a VS on steroids.
VX had a change of lights (please correct me, as I am sure there were more changes than this, but I wouldn't know them...)
VY had a change in the rear and lights.
VZ got the Alloytec

VE is a VZ on steroids.

Holden have not really changed all that much over time either. The queues from the VZ are massive IMO.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #68
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Holden have been the masters of this.

VT was a VS on steroids.
VX had a change of lights (please correct me, as I am sure there were more changes than this, but I wouldn't know them...)
VY had a change in the rear and lights.
VZ got the Alloytec

VE is a VZ on steroids.

Holden have not really changed all that much over time either. The queues from the VZ are massive IMO.
VS & VT had no chassis/body components in common.
The VT, VX, VY and VZ all shared the same platform albeit some mods here and there over time.
VE is a whole new ball game.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #69
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this thread is not about the looks of the AU. some have missed the point. there is also some comments about the FG. these suffer from the same problem as the b series. i can sit in an XT and then hop in the top of the line G6ET and apart from some different trim materials and colours, the basic design is identical accross the whole range.

in the AU range if you hop from a forte to a ghia, you know you've just stepped into an upspec model.

i know it costs money but designing a whole new dash/interior for the luxury models would help sales and resale, plus the owners know they are the next level up.

Sorry but I disagree. The AU forte and Ghia had everything in common exterior wise, except for a grille. The base FG XT and G6E-T look completely dissimilar especially considering they have different front bars, different colour grille with chrome surround, mirrors, foglamps, lower front grille with chrome, body kit, rear and front colour coding, lights, spoiler etc etc. The interior of the XT to G6ET is much more varied than the AU ever was. You can take an FG XT and see where the design cues come from the BA, the G6E-T has looks vastly different from the BA.

As for the AU, i've owned a few in my time and I can tell you that the AU1 LWB was useless. Mine spent around 50 days in at Ford sevice for the front suspension noises, and the fit and finish on this car was the worst Ford has ever done. The rear door creases were over 10mm out and cost over 2K for ford to fix them at a panel beater. Interior wise the leather seats would gather dakron into a bundle which created a lump. Then there was the dash creak, the suede look alike substance sprayed over the rivers of grey plastic that would wear off, the big circles that polarised everyones opinions and the CD stacker that regularly ate discs and required over 4 exchanges per car.

The AU2 LWB was a comprimise in suspension stakes and was useless if you carried anything more than a golf bag in the boot with the rear end regularly visiting the bump stops. The reward for this suspension upgrade was that your front tyres would knock your front guards to crap at the crease, requiring a panel beater to roll the edges of the guards.

The stereo still suffered as per AU1 and the GPS would imitate Microsoft windows 98 by just stopping altogether. The same thing happened with the rear seat dakron and the sprayed suede. The roof lining always came down near the high stop lamp and required several gluing attempts, and the 5 litre 185kw weezer motor used to make a sound not dissimilar to piston slap despite assurances that all was normal (especially when encountering many of the same vehicles that did the same thing). Despite this, I did love the AU2 I had but got over selling it two weeks later. The AU1 I celebrated it being sold. The LWB was different from the SWB simply because the SWB was panned by the critics. Further, the LWB was later described as being too American, and was still outsold by a much prettier yet mechanically crap statesman. Whilst being different was a good idea, having a car as much loved and well received as "The Homer" and putting a different grille on it does not a classic make.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #70
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Sorry but I disagree. The AU forte and Ghia had everything in common exterior wise, except for a grille. The base FG XT and G6E-T look completely dissimilar especially considering they have different front bars, different colour grille with chrome surround, mirrors, foglamps, lower front grille with chrome, body kit, rear and front colour coding, lights, spoiler etc etc. The interior of the XT to G6ET is much more varied than the AU ever was. You can take an FG XT and see where the design cues come from the BA, the G6E-T has looks vastly different from the BA.

As for the AU, i've owned a few in my time and I can tell you that the AU1 LWB was useless. Mine spent around 50 days in at Ford sevice for the front suspension noises, and the fit and finish on this car was the worst Ford has ever done. The rear door creases were over 10mm out and cost over 2K for ford to fix them at a panel beater. Interior wise the leather seats would gather dakron into a bundle which created a lump. Then there was the dash creak, the suede look alike substance sprayed over the rivers of grey plastic that would wear off, the big circles that polarised everyones opinions and the CD stacker that regularly ate discs and required over 4 exchanges per car.

The AU2 LWB was a comprimise in suspension stakes and was useless if you carried anything more than a golf bag in the boot with the rear end regularly visiting the bump stops. The reward for this suspension upgrade was that your front tyres would knock your front guards to crap at the crease, requiring a panel beater to roll the edges of the guards.

The stereo still suffered as per AU1 and the GPS would imitate Microsoft windows 98 by just stopping altogether. The same thing happened with the rear seat dakron and the sprayed suede. The roof lining always came down near the high stop lamp and required several gluing attempts, and the 5 litre 185kw weezer motor used to make a sound not dissimilar to piston slap despite assurances that all was normal (especially when encountering many of the same vehicles that did the same thing). Despite this, I did love the AU2 I had but got over selling it two weeks later. The AU1 I celebrated it being sold. The LWB was different from the SWB simply because the SWB was panned by the critics. Further, the LWB was later described as being too American, and was still outsold by a much prettier yet mechanically crap statesman. Whilst being different was a good idea, having a car as much loved and well received as "The Homer" and putting a different grille on it does not a classic make.
you are missing the point. whilst both makes run an identical bodyshell accross the range (except series 1 au), only the fg has the same dash design accross the range whereas the au got 2 distinct designs. no matter how much chrome, carbon, woodgrain, gloss etc you put around the place you will never get a forte to look like a ghia short of putting a ghia dash in there. fg on the other hand is the same design.

i'm talking 'designs' here, not specific models. i'm talking differentiation between the models that goes beyond different fabrics and colours. this is not a 'au's are good, fg's are bad' thread.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #71
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
you are missing the point. whilst both makes run an identical bodyshell accross the range (except series 1 au), only the fg has the same dash design accross the range whereas the au got 2 distinct designs. no matter how much chrome, carbon, woodgrain, gloss etc you put around the place you will never get a forte to look like a ghia short of putting a ghia dash in there. fg on the other hand is the same design.

i'm talking 'designs' here, not specific models. i'm talking differentiation between the models that goes beyond different fabrics and colours. this is not a 'au's are good, fg's are bad' thread.
You're talking about the interior being the point of differentiation, but on the FG the exterior has the differentiation and the interiors whilst following the same basic architecture are vastly different.
Further, considering the sales flop that was the AU ask prospective customers what was the most discernable differences within the model range, most will tell you nothing, let alone any comments on the dashboard. Even ford fanboys went to the darkside over the AU as they all looked basically the same save for the LWB.

You say that the AU had the greatest model differentiation, I say it didn't. You denounce my reference to various levels of trim given to the presentation of the vehicle as to its differentiation of which you say is invalid, I say that there is no other distinguishing differences without it. The AU ghia received very little tarting up over its forte donor save for grille and wheels, the only "design" difference was the dashboard.
Whats worse is when the AU2 came out, the forte and Ghia looked exactly the same, even with the same size wheels. You can't possibly say the same is true of the FG, especially since ride height, wheel size, suspension spec etc are all different.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #72
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
You're talking about the interior being the point of differentiation, but on the FG the exterior has the differentiation and the interiors whilst following the same basic architecture are vastly different.
Further, considering the sales flop that was the AU ask prospective customers what was the most discernable differences within the model range, most will tell you nothing, let alone any comments on the dashboard. Even ford fanboys went to the darkside over the AU as they all looked basically the same save for the LWB.

You say that the AU had the greatest model differentiation, I say it didn't. You denounce my reference to various levels of trim given to the presentation of the vehicle as to its differentiation of which you say is invalid, I say that there is no other distinguishing differences without it. The AU ghia received very little tarting up over its forte donor save for grille and wheels, the only "design" difference was the dashboard.
Whats worse is when the AU2 came out, the forte and Ghia looked exactly the same, even with the same size wheels. You can't possibly say the same is true of the FG, especially since ride height, wheel size, suspension spec etc are all different.
by the end of the au, the exteriors were the same, yes, but when the au hit the market, you could instantly tell the difference between a forte/futura and fairmont/ghia and xr6/8 and LWB. i don't care how successful the sales were or weren't. that is not my point. my point is that from a design and build point of view more thought seems to have gone into the au. i brought it up earlier also, the au was by far the biggest spend ford have undertaken. the exteriors were changed due to bad reception with the public but at least with the release of the au you didn't have to be a ford enthusiast or trainspotter to see the difference between the models.

go and get your average woman off the street and show them inside a xt and g6et. apart from the difference in colours, i doubt they'd notice a whole lot different.

i do agree though that with the fg ford have tried to separate the xt from the g series externally.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #73
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
by the end of the au, the exteriors were the same, yes, but when the au hit the market, you could instantly tell the difference between a forte/futura and fairmont/ghia and xr6/8 and LWB. i don't care how successful the sales were or weren't. that is not my point. my point is that from a design and build point of view more thought seems to have gone into the au. i brought it up earlier also, the au was by far the biggest spend ford have undertaken. the exteriors were changed due to bad reception with the public but at least with the release of the au you didn't have to be a ford enthusiast or trainspotter to see the difference between the models.

go and get your average woman off the street and show them inside a xt and g6et. apart from the difference in colours, i doubt they'd notice a whole lot different.

i do agree though that with the fg ford have tried to separate the xt from the g series externally.
Hold on, you denounced my reference to the differentiation between the FG XT and G6E-T including the bumper as irrelevant due to it being cosmetic and not so much a design, but for the AU it's OK? Tell me, what was the difference between the forte and futura? Or even the forte and fairmont? Besides a badge the fairmont was exactly the same as the ghia externally and I am talking series 1 here? From 20 metres away you couldn't tell the difference, from behind you could never really tell the difference until you were 5 metres away across the range. Buy an XR8 now and it has a huge lump on the bonnet.

LWB were different yes but there is nothing to compare them to now.
As for the G6E interior, it's funny you should mentioned a woman, considering ford used a target group of women to help design the aforementioned interior. They considered that the partner, spouse of an enthusiast would need to like something about the car to push the purchase fords way as opposed to a Calais V or something.
I'm not having a go at you nor the fact that you have an AU and love it, but I just simply cannot see the differentiation you speak of and I think ford couldn't possibly give a rats about the AU now, considering they are selling FG's. Right now, anyone at ford will tell you the same thing they tell everyone; they think the FG is the best car they've ever built and do you know what? They're right.

Quote: