Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #61
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFacts January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
So if they are going to reduce production to about 1800-1900 units per month won't that make it impossible to hit 30000 units for the year?
It would make sense for ford and holden to place both their local assembly operations under the same shell company for the next few years. Fords part will still be entitled to the same government contributions (as combined they will be over 30,000 cars), and they could split the extra contributions that ford will still be entitled to. For a few million dollars to put it all together, the potential payoff would be circa $60 million per year.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #62
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xtrail has been round since 2007 basically unchanged.
GU Patrol since 1997
D40 Navara 2005
Pajero 1999 (updated in 2006)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #63
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Xtrail has been round since 2007 basically unchanged.
GU Patrol since 1997
D40 Navara 2005
Pajero 1999 (updated in 2006)
The only one of those cars comparable to a Territory (being a volume selling family soft roader) is the X trail which had its 3rd gen model revealed last year, so it was a ~6 year model cycle which is the industry average. Territory is 10 this year and by the time they put it to rest in 2016 it will have been in service for 12 years.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #64
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory is the one model that Ford butchered. Falcon was always going to die, the large sedan market just can't support it. But with Territory Ford owned that market from before the start, I remember they sold over 1000 of them a month before they officially went on sale. They let that model wither and eventually everything else caught up to it. If they had have looked after it a bit better we might be sitting here discussing a very different topic...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #65
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
They let that model wither and eventually everything else caught up to it. If they had have looked after it a bit better we might be sitting here discussing a very different topic...
That's a rose-coloured view.... reality is Ford simply isn't considered a premium brand, nor its it the cheapest. There was plenty of room for competitors to position product on either side.

I do agree that Ford didnt put enough into Terri, a diesel from day one would have given it a much wider market.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #66
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
That's a rose-coloured view.... reality is Ford simply isn't considered a premium brand, nor its it the cheapest. There was plenty of room for competitors to position product on either side.

I do agree that Ford didnt put enough into Terri, a diesel from day one would have given it a much wider market.
I don't consider it a rose coloured view. They left Territory for 5 or 6 years without so much as a facelift, the one it did get was mild and done on the cheap. Territory was the most visionary thing Ford has ever done and they wasted the lead they had on every other manufacturer out there.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #67
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Territory is the one model that Ford butchered. Falcon was always going to die, the large sedan market just can't support it. But with Territory Ford owned that market from before the start, I remember they sold over 1000 of them a month before they officially went on sale. They let that model wither and eventually everything else caught up to it. If they had have looked after it a bit better we might be sitting here discussing a very different topic...
Compare what the 2012+ Explorer has and what the Tezza doesn't. Missed opportunity..
Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

30,000 cars has obviously been abandoned, but what that means for Ford I don't know. Ford would have done the sums and they would know what it will cost them, but in reality it's not like the government is going to help them in any way, shape or form anyway with Tony Abbott up on his high horse.

It might only effect them for next year anyway, and they will probably use it an an excuse to pull the plug sometime in 2015. I'd bet my life savings that Ford will not make it to 2016.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
. I'd bet my life savings that Ford will not make it to 2016.
I think that's a safe bet, maybe the next Falcon runs for 12 months, only question is parts inventory program...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #70
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
30,000 cars has obviously been abandoned, but what that means for Ford I don't know. Ford would have done the sums and they would know what it will cost them, but in reality it's not like the government is going to help them in any way, shape or form anyway with Tony Abbott up on his high horse.

It might only effect them for next year anyway, and they will probably use it an an excuse to pull the plug sometime in 2015. I'd bet my life savings that Ford will not make it to 2016.
Hard to believe in 2004 Ford Australia manufactured more than 100,000 cars...........

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The fall was so much faster than anyone could have imagined.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #72
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Compare what the 2012+ Explorer has and what the Tezza doesn't. Missed opportunity..
I've seen the current model Explorer and the SZ Territory next to each other... and the Territory looks like it's from the 90s...
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #73
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
I've seen the current model Explorer and the SZ Territory next to each other... and the Territory looks like it's from the 90s...
I don't think Tezza is that bad...just specification needs improving..
Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #74
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yeah and theres so many Aussies that would not buy an Explorer because when ever you say Explorer all they can think about is Firestone tyres and this ugly thing.

The Territory looks fine, its all in proportion and the rear is very similar to the Explorer.

2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #75
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The original Cherokee that we got had equally as bad reputation yet they seem to be selling quite well today.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #76
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
According to who? Territory uses Ford's current global design theme for SUV's, Explorer does not.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #77
Focused

Tis true. The last generation Explorer sold here didn't seem to create many friendships...
The front end is the SZ Territory's best but the side-profile, in particular, is looking dated. OK, but dated.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:23 AM   #78
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
According to who? Territory uses Ford's current global design theme for SUV's, Explorer does not.
Who? Read the first word in my post.
The SZ is (and looks like) a 2004 car with a 2013 "current global design theme" front end. Don't get me wrong, the high-end SZ front ends look great but there's no hiding the car's age when you look at that side profile, and that rear end isn't exactly fresh.

Last edited by Focused; 10-02-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #79
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

It might not be using the newest design language but the Exploder does have a much more modern body. The Territory does well considering its age. I remember when the original Territory came out and made North America's new Ford Freestyle look stupid. The Freestyle came out during the same year as the original Territory, yet it finished up production way back in '09.

Last edited by Dave R; 10-02-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #80
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I like the Territory (and always have) it doesn't compare with the Explorer.

People need to move on from the exploder thing it was over a decade ago, it's like how you guys (aussies) go on about the original Mondeo still, I mean get over it ffs.

I would have a Explorer Sport in a heartbeat given the chance.

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #81
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
People need to move on from the exploder thing it was over a decade ago, it's like how you guys (aussies) go on about the original Mondeo still, I mean get over it ffs.
Exploder is just a nickname, even some owners refer to their explorers as exploders in jest. And older Mondeos do have a bad name here. If you can't deal with it, take your own advice
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #82
rods falcon
Long time lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Exploder is just a nickname, even some owners refer to their explorers as exploders in jest. And older Mondeos do have a bad name here. If you can't deal with it, take your own advice
Still have people telling me who would buy a new falcon, they do head gaskets all the time, even though this was fixed in the au (about 15 years ago)
Old 10-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #83
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
As much as I like the Territory (and always have) it doesn't compare with the Explorer.

I would have a Explorer Sport in a heartbeat given the chance.

Just because it looks better? Even if it handles and drives like a barge **** compared to a Territory?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #84
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Just because it looks better? Even if it handles and drives like a barge **** compared to a Territory?
I wouldn't buy any vehicle of that size for it's handling ability (or lack of), it would be for fitting the family/dog/toys into. I can't compare it to a Territory as you know, and yes I'm well aware the Territory handles/rides very well for what it is.

Have you driven a Ford Explorer Sport ? if so enlighten me as to how much of a barge it is.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #85
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Territory is a better car then the Explorer. You cant even get the Explorer in diesel... It would not sell in this country as everyone in the SUV market is diesel happy.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #86
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Territory is a better car then the Explorer. You cant even get the Explorer in diesel... It would not sell in this country as everyone in the SUV market is diesel happy.
Keep dreaming, the bare boned Territory pales in comparison.

Why would you want a dirty old diesel when you could have a 270 kW V6 Ecoboost
Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #87
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats that, the base model explorer only has plastic hubcaps?

Yeah 270 kw gas guzzler.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #88
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
True that. The Petrol-only Toyota Klugar doesn't sell well at all. I don't think I've ever seen one on the road... ;)

Quote:
Whats that, the base model explorer only has plastic hubcaps?

Yeah 270 kw gas guzzler.
If you want performance, buy the 270kW model, if you want fuel efficiency, don't (I believe there's a 4cyl option). Dismissing it as a "270kW gas guzzler" would be like criticizing the FG GT and suggesting an EcoBoost XT as a far more fuel efficient option. Kinda missing the point of it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #89
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rods falcon View Post
Still have people telling me who would buy a new falcon, they do head gaskets all the time, even though this was fixed in the au (about 15 years ago)
The Buick motors in the VN-VY were known to do the gaskets on the heads and inlet manifolds .
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #90
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True that. The Petrol-only Toyota Klugar doesn't sell well at all. I don't think I've ever seen one on the road... ;)

If you want performance, buy the 270kW model, if you want fuel efficiency, don't (I believe there's a 4cyl option). Dismissing it as a "270kW gas guzzler" would be like criticizing the FG GT and suggesting an EcoBoost XT as a far more fuel efficient option. Kinda missing the point of it.
Yeah but thats a Toyota mate.