Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #61
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why Manual Ferrari's Are Gone For Good

Ultimately it is each to their own. Some just prefer auto, some just prefer manual.

Personally I'm a manual guy.

The one line of argument that makes me cringe every time is when people defend the auto (DSG or whatever flavour) by saying it gives you the same control and feeling as a manual.

No, just .. no!

Clicking a button is not the same as using a clutch, gear stick, timing the change correctly etc.

I find autos (ZF, DSG included) boring. Sure they are an easy option for traffic, but then again, driving manual in traffic isn't difficult either..

But, you can't deny the popularity of autos. I mean, you look at a GT for example. It's meant to be seen as a drivers car, but how many of them are auto? Probably a massive percentage. That's 1 car I would of assumed that most buyers would want to be completely involved and do all the work, but I'm obviously wrong..
Old 22-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #62
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I've used my sequential shift every day I've had my XR8, now past 7000km. Unlike the Ghia, which made no difference, the car does ebb and flow better when I want to get frisky. But if I just wanna chill and enjoy the open road ahead, I can flick it back to D and get on with my day.

Horses for courses, but I'm happy with my choice and it doesn't make any less of a man for opting for 2 pedals. Your opinion, my opinion.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #63
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
I've used my sequential shift every day I've had my XR8, now past 7000km. Unlike the Ghia, which made no difference, the car does ebb and flow better when I want to get frisky. But if I just wanna chill and enjoy the open road ahead, I can flick it back to D and get on with my day.

Horses for courses, but I'm happy with my choice and it doesn't make any less of a man for opting for 2 pedals. Your opinion, my opinion.
Absolutely. I'm sure I wouldn't complain if I had an auto XR8 to play with. My preference would be manual but I'd still be happy with the auto.
Old 22-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #64
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Certainly not FGX335, I also don't get the "more manly" comments from the manual only crowd.

I had a 2005 XR8 that I really liked, but ultimately the ZF was the main reason I got rid of it.. just missed the 3rd pedal..

As you said, it's all opinion.
Old 22-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #65
Sioso
irregular member

Growing up I always expected the H pattern box to be replaced with a sequential box at some time in the future, especially in performance cars.
It appears we skipped this step all together, it's a pity, I always dreamed of slamming up and down gears in a street car.
I have seen the conversion kits but don't know how well they work.
Old 22-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #66
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
Agreed. Speaking of novelty, nothing more novelty than 'manual mode' in an auto car. I used it for about 1 week when I had it then can't remember ever using it again.
I don’t find it a novelty, I use it all the time in my Merc apart from the first ten minutes or so while it goes through its warm up stage.

I don’t use it because I’m silly enough to think it gives me the feel of a manual as it doesn’t even come close and I’m not fooled by its prowess as the fully auto changing sports mode makes the car quicker than the manual mode anyway.

I use it because it allows me to hold a gear and to change up and down when I decide to.

It gives me some control to have a bit of fun that a full auto mode doesn’t allow.

The advantage I get from it in normal daily driving in traffic is the enjoyment of listening to the exhaust doing its thing.

When I hold a low gear I don’t have to go fast to have the exhaust open up and sound like hell has just spewed out of the pavement and when I change down 1 or 2 gears in quick succession it rev matches and pops, burbles, crackles and farts as the sound echoes and bounces off the cars in the adjacent lanes.

I sometimes see the startled faces in the cars around me with that puzzled look of did that come from that sedate little Mercedes.

Manual mode gives me cheap thrills.

I can only wish it came with a clutch.

I’m sure the owners of auto equipped supercharged FPV and XR8’s know what I’m talking about.

It’s not a manual but it still can be fun.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #67
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Growing up I always expected the H pattern box to be replaced with a sequential box at some time in the future, especially in performance cars.
It appears we skipped this step all together, it's a pity, I always dreamed of slamming up and down gears in a street car.
I have seen the conversion kits but don't know how well they work.
I had a sequential shifter, not a box in my Torana for a while and it was ok to use.

It’s a different way of thinking that you quickly become use to and the shifts we nice and quick.

Think motorbike and you’re on track.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #68
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Ultimately it is each to their own. Some just prefer auto, some just prefer manual.

Personally I'm a manual guy.

The one line of argument that makes me cringe every time is when people defend the auto (DSG or whatever flavour) by saying it gives you the same control and feeling as a manual.

No, just .. no!

Clicking a button is not the same as using a clutch, gear stick, timing the change correctly etc.

I find autos (ZF, DSG included) boring. Sure they are an easy option for traffic, but then again, driving manual in traffic isn't difficult either..

But, you can't deny the popularity of autos. I mean, you look at a GT for example. It's meant to be seen as a drivers car, but how many of them are auto? Probably a massive percentage. That's 1 car I would of assumed that most buyers would want to be completely involved and do all the work, but I'm obviously wrong..
I have driven only manual cars for over 20 years. I agree that driving a manual car is a skill and very enjoyable . Full control over driveline , short shift or redline , slip the clutch - no computer overriding your decisions or gear changing points.
I probably have gone soft - few years my Osteo asked while working her magic if I was driving a manual car . Years of clutch in and clutch out on punt rd or any other road in Melbourne peak hour do add up. Especially if the clutch is heavy .
It is asymmetrical movement that simply you don't have to do if you buy a different type of car. Luckily autos are so good these days that it doesn't matter any more. Even most racing cars are two pedal only .
So like I said I have gone soft :-)
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #69
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

All the 'manly' comments about manual gearbox's must be from 'manly' drivers.

I wonder why auto's are popular in Drag Racing and F1 drivers have push button's .

Maybe they're not 'manly' enough
Old 22-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #70
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
You just reaffirmed what I said you are just lazy. It's not a novelty when changing gears become second nature, I don't even notice that I'm changing gears in Melbourne peak hour traffic. Manual is relaxing as it's enjoyable for me to do it.

If you want a lesson or two on how to drive manual I'm more than willing to teach you.
The only thing i have reaffirmed is that you are a moron. Yes you are the expert (note: the sarcasm, unsure if you have the mental capacity to comprehend), i am lazy individual in your eyes. However last time i checked working 2 jobs and 60+ hours a week is anything but lazy, but I'm sure because i have lost the interest to drive manual all that goes out the window......

If you want a lesson or two on how to remove your adorable Fiesta's gear shiftier from your bum (which is clearly up there). I'm sorry but i am of no help.

Good day to you sir.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #71
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Ok transmission zealots. It's fine to discuss but there is no need to insult those who don't share your preference.
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread