Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #61
XG_Falcon

Default Re: Drug testers at work and job losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolade View Post
were I work most boys have had a billy or a pipe before rocking up to work, cause it's middle of boganville I guess
A mate of mine works with people like that, he has told me some stories that make me cringe.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #62
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Young trainee in my industry got random drug tested and got shown the door because he was positive for ice...while on a probationary period.
Way to piddle away a near-$120,000 a year job, idiot.

Ice is an absolute scourge...I don't want some plonker sitting beside me in a train and not knowing when they're going to phase out and ignore a red light or snap and go mental. Good on them for having a zero tolerance about it.

Come to that it worries me driving out along the Capricorn Highway and seeing some of the antics on oncoming and overtaking cars...either they're really bad drivers, or....
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #63
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

Guy that I am good mates with got word that one of his younger workers was smoking a lot of the weed. Called him in, told him he would give him 6 weeks to get off it before giving him a drug test (basically company not covered for insurance if worker on drugs). Worker said he would rather keep smoking and have no job. WTF is it with young people these days
Low Na is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Na View Post
Guy that I am good mates with got word that one of his younger workers was smoking a lot of the weed. Called him in, told him he would give him 6 weeks to get off it before giving him a drug test (basically company not covered for insurance if worker on drugs). Worker said he would rather keep smoking and have no job. WTF is it with young people these days
I've been listening to reports about ice, and I can't even understand that much less ordinary old weed. Why would you take the stuff?

I mean seemingly nice, ordinary people suddenly become attracted to trying some crystal stuff someone hands them who says it's great stuff, and become immediately addicted to it.
There seems to be a huge divide in attitude to drug use and mentality about drugs between generations...back when I was a teenager in the early eighties, yeah, you heard about some people smoking dope, but it was never really prevalent. Heroin? They were rightly derided as useless druggies losers. Pills? Didn't exist. And if someone walked up at a party and held out some home made pills and said "Here, you have to try these", the answer would have been "Bugger off...who knows what the hell thgey are or what they'll do to me?"
Teenagers (and adults) now? They seem to be constantly on the search for the "next experience" or "the next thrill", instead of just being happy to live life like a normal person (or, as we did back then, pour our spare cash into cars...as the old saying goes: "Bring your kids up with a car habit and they won't have money for a drug habit"...)
Instead of telling kids "Just don't take the stuff" and having them listen, our governments and activist groups are intent on telling kids how to "take drugs safely" and giving them legitimacy as "just another fun pastime"...because that's never going to end badly...

I don't know if something is wrong with my brain, but if someone offered me some unknown substance at a party, the first thing that sprang into my mind wouldn't be to answer "Yeah sure, why not!"....
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #65
mitelsx2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No room at work for muppetts. People get enough warnings and drug & Alcholol tests.

Its a requirement for new employees to have this done before being employed, plus Police & security checks

Previous rides: 2011 FPV GTE colour Edge 6-speed Auto, Build #019
BMC Twin air filter, street fighter oil breathers, Window tints & paint protection. CTB Tuned 364 rwKW
XR8 Black Lux pack 2004
Fiesta trend 2017
mitelsx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #66
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a question. I'm not a stoner, but if I came home from work and ripped a couple of bongs then started laughing at the cat on my kitchen table (I don't have a cat)...will that show up on a drug test the following day even though I'm sober?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #67
G6E-T

It will for up to 8 weeks which seems unfair but if your job is more important(it should be..) then just dont do it.
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #68
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E-T View Post
It will for up to 8 weeks which seems unfair but if your job is more important(it should be..) then just dont do it.
8 weeks? Imagine how high the unemployment rate would be if 3 glasses of red stayed in your system for that long.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #69
G6E-T

Yeah look we wont get into a whats ok, what should be could be and isn't... I dont really see the problem with green in moderate use but like any drug including alcohol or cigarettes it is addictive and can get out of hand. But the worst a bad pot head is guilty of is being usless, forgetful and broke..stack that up against a bad alcoholic or crack head and they hardly seem in the same league and legalisation may have some merit. It is however still a drug, causes cancer ect...

The real problem is how long its detectable in your system which has switched alot of users to ice which is out of your system in a couple of days. Ive first hand seen my best made become an a grade piece of **** when he started FIFO work and quit pot and hit the glass bbq hard. Wont even speak to the loser now and it took like 2 years max. Smoked pot for 12 years prior... make of it what you will..
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #70
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I have a question. I'm not a stoner, but if I came home from work and ripped a couple of bongs then started laughing at the cat on my kitchen table (I don't have a cat)...will that show up on a drug test the following day even though I'm sober?
Yes, THC stays in your system (fat cells IIRC?) for longer than almost any other drug.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #71
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
8 weeks? Imagine how high the unemployment rate would be if 3 glasses of red stayed in your system for that long.
No where near 8 weeks unless you smoke all day everyday for a long extended time. If you have a couple of random bongs or smoke a joint it will be out of your urine in a few days.

I know people who do a 4 day on 4 day off roster and they sometimes will have a joint after their last shift and **** clean again by the time they are rostered back on 4 days later.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #72
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am an employer and an employee in my own business. if your contract states what the policy is with regards to the use of drugs in the workplace/or detection of drugs in the system while in the workplace and people choose to take the risk and get caught well sorry NO SYMPATHY FROM ME....you made your bed ...... I must say the attitude above of a current employee wanting to continue drug use INSTEAD of having employment is amazing and very sad
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #73
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
i am an employer and an employee in my own business. if your contract states what the policy is with regards to the use of drugs in the workplace/or detection of drugs in the system while in the workplace and people choose to take the risk and get caught well sorry NO SYMPATHY FROM ME....you made your bed ...... I must say the attitude above of a current employee wanting to continue drug use INSTEAD of having employment is amazing and very sad
Its not much different to people having drinks at a bar on a Friday night after a long week at work, as long as they aren't under the influence when they come back to work on Monday it isn't really an issue. I agree though if you are under the influence while at work you get what you deserve.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #74
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E-T View Post
Yeah look we wont get into a whats ok, what should be could be and isn't... I dont really see the problem with green in moderate use but like any drug including alcohol or cigarettes it is addictive and can get out of hand. But the worst a bad pot head is guilty of is being usless, forgetful and broke..stack that up against a bad alcoholic or crack head and they hardly seem in the same league and legalisation may have some merit. It is however still a drug, causes cancer ect...
Has long amazed me what as you say "a bad pot head" can do though.Smoked a little way back when a young fella did nothing but make me hungry and stare at patterns on tablecloths so didnt bother,am a fairly avid motorcyclist and a good friend and i used to head off on our bikes as often as we could...big trips and this bloke would stop often to put it mildly and light up,off we would go on some pretty intense riding roads ie West coat South isle NZ and he was in the groove no problem if it was me no way i would have had to sit it out awhile.Constant use i guess...in saying that never had to work with him and knowing what i do guess i wouldnt want to.If i had to make a choice between working with a guy that smokes some weed or a ****head i would take the guy that likes green everytime.

Last edited by 98TLS; 02-01-2016 at 07:26 PM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #75
HBWC

a good friend nearly lost his to a positive test (he is lucky to even have one beer let alone anything else)
the unfair part was he had to go do a self funded test to prove he was insentient or get on the next plane home
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
69 f100 ambo future skid pig
HBWC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #76
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think its great, no time for it in any workplace, same as the zero alcohol in system when working, so it should be. Why should my life be in danger working beside someone who is under the influence?

The tests are also pretty touchy, i had 500mg of Ibroprufen three hours before a random drug test and came up positive. Obviously had medical documentation that i could take it, but it was good to know and have trust in a system that works.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #77
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWC View Post
a good friend nearly lost his to a positive test (he is lucky to even have one beer let alone anything else)
the unfair part was he had to go do a self funded test to prove he was insentient or get on the next plane home
I know a bloke that did lose his job,he and 3 others failed and were sacked...3 months later (or thereabouts) the company he used to work for were contacted by the outfit that did the tests saying the tests...after further tests had proved to be faulty to late for the 4 people that lost there livelihoods.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #78
goo33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
I know a bloke that did lose his job,he and 3 others failed and were sacked...3 months later (or thereabouts) the company he used to work for were contacted by the outfit that did the tests saying the tests...after further tests had proved to be faulty to late for the 4 people that lost there livelihoods.

Hard to believe that anyone who was FALSELY tested POSITIVE would not raise hell. If I were tested positive and sacked, I would get immediate retest(s) and head to the low-life lawyers for litigation.

Bring on the drug testing. Australia is fast gaining the reputation as a nation of junkies. Sorry for those of us who are 100% drug free.
goo33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #79
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Drug testers at work and job losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Its not much different to people having drinks at a bar on a Friday night after a long week at work, as long as they aren't under the influence when they come back to work on Monday it isn't really an issue. I agree though if you are under the influence while at work you get what you deserve.
I disagree. if its a policy it has nothing to do with being under the influence at all! otherwise as an employer id need to determine whether you are affected by something or tired or whatever. its pretty simple I think "when in rome do as the romans do!?"

Last edited by zoesgift; 03-01-2016 at 10:59 AM.
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #80
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
I disagree. if its a policy it has nothing to do with being under the influence at all! otherwise as an employer id need to determine whether you are affected by something or tired or whatever. its pretty simple I think "when in rome do as the romans do!?"
Yes it is very simple, if your employer / workplace has a drug and alcohol policy and random drug testing etc don't come to work while under the influence
Old 03-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #81
mitelsx2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Not so, there are strict requirements for drug & alcohol testing firms to have thier equipemnt tested and calibrated on a regular basis.

BMC Twin air filter, street fighter oil breathers, Window tints & paint protection. CTB Tuned 364 rwKW
XR8 Black Lux pack 2004
Fiesta trend 2017
Old 03-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #82
mitelsx2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Yes it is very simple, if your employer / workplace has a drug and alcohol policy and random drug testing etc don't come to work while under the influence
totally agree!!!

XR8 Black Lux pack 2004
Fiesta trend 2017
Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #83
HBWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo33 View Post
Hard to believe that anyone who was FALSELY tested POSITIVE would not raise hell. If I were tested positive and sacked, I would get immediate retest(s) and head to the low-life lawyers for litigation.

Bring on the drug testing. Australia is fast gaining the reputation as a nation of junkies. Sorry for those of us who are 100% drug free.
some people dont have the $625 to do that
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
Old 04-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #84
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
some people dont have the $625 to do that
It wont cost them anything when the courts reimburse them ;)
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #85
The Robot Devil
Starter Motor

Quote:
What I have been led to understand is that the roadside (swab?) test will only detect recent THC use (say in the previous several hours) whereas it takes a blood test to pick up what may have been smoked weeks ago.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected. Does seem a fair way to go about it though if true.
The Robot Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2016, 02:59 AM   #86
HBWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
It wont cost them anything when the courts reimburse them ;)
nut you have to have the $$$ up front not 6 months when it reaches court
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #87
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nut you have to have the $$$ up front not 6 months when it reaches court
My point was, you'll be completely reimbursed. If you cant find an emergency $600, then you're probably already ****** anyway ;)
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #88
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

8 weeks , yeah sure if you have a hair or blood test
Swab in the mouth youll be fine from the night before, good for a 8 hr or 10 hr break

I fact ive 'heard' of people passing after 4hrs..yes they are idiots.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post