Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #61
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bathurst boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I like COTF and I'd like to see it extended further. The brand rivalry is nearly gone now and as time goes on it will disappear for good. So extend COTF to engines and components as well, or if not engines then their outputs, place a cap on team budgets and eventually what you'll get is a championship that is decided on a drivers pure talent rather than their teams bank balance.
They were talking about computer generated greyhound racing the others day as a way of keeping the sport without the animals (wtf)

I think if you push this vanilla COTF platform any furred you might as well just computer generate Bathurst as it would be that bloody boring, I personally think when it takes bad sportsmanship to make it interesting it's a pretty poor race

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #62
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day ,..I watched the Brock mini series last week . If accurately depicted to see just how stock the cars really were in those days is a real eye opener . A wheel change was a big deal with proper wheel nuts needing to be done..Pit stops were often 2-3 minutes plus by the look of it..Brock (no doubt most drivers ) actually worked on the cars too if the show was somewhat factual..Seat of the pants racing on skinny road tyres..Whoa..
JUST AWESOME...In those days Win on Sunday , Sell on Monday might have carried real weight..Cheers Rod....
I don’t know how ‘factual’ some of the dramatic scenes were, like, his A30 was never that pristine, straight and shiny with Mobil sponsorship, when Brock introduced himself to Moffat at a servo, and when Perkins walked out of HDT.
But the racing scenes were pretty spot on, yes, they did use wheel braces etc, everything was manual labour, and the drivers worked on the car because it was their car, mostly. The ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday’ mantra was very real.
My first trip to Bathurst was 1968, Bruce McPhee drove his Monaro to the race, won, and drove it home, so I understand very well what was, and what now is.
COTF was the end for me. Go-carts dressed up as Nascars. They may be quick, competitive, and very professional, but no soul, no identification with Fred Spectators car in the circuit carpark. And if you ignore the speeds, just like city peak hour traffic, all in a line, no passing allowed.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #63
tweeked
N/A all the way

Safety cars have ruined endurance racing. It is now more like that silly Olympic bicycle race were you spend 90 percent of the time sitting behind a motorcycle, then race for the last 2 laps. There is no reason to pull a decent lead, you know a safety car will bunch things up again.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #64
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have a safety car BUT, all cars to have a remote engine shut down and brakes on switch with a 3 minute warning so the cars all stop on the track the same distance apart. Imagine coming over the top of the mountain and your car starts to shut down.
Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #65
xr6per

QUOTE=CyberWasp;5788880]I still like Bathurst but I think the thing that is missing is small amount of cars in the race.
When I saw the start I took a double take.
What happened to the days when the starting grind when around the corner and way back?

I was at Bathurst and thought the same thing, the grid is way too small. That's why the first 90 laps was the most boring Bathurst ever, the space between cars was too big, not many cars were actually racing anyone. There is not much chance of anything happening when cars are going around alone.
Jamie Whincup may be a good driver, and 888 a dominant team, but it gets a bit boring and predictable, like when HRT had total dominance and you only turned the tv on to see who came third and fourth.
We were sitting at Murrays corner, and JW came past and went down the straight and around hell corner, then it all went quiet for a while, before pos 2 car came around.
The final laps got interesting and got the crowd up on their feet, but most of the day was boring.
The grid needs to be much bigger at Bathurst.
xr6per is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #66
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if they thought a crowded track means slower laps, so people would be less interested.

I was watching video with Fords, Holdens, Nissans, a few M3s, a bunch of Corollas, and it definitely made things interesting. But that may have also been the rain causing a massive pileup that made it interesting.

You know, I can't help but think the race has mirrored production.

Ford and Holden improved their models each year because a win at Bathurst in a car you could essentially buy meant people would buy that car.
Along comes a Nissan which flogs the pants off them both, but instead of improving they just ban it from racing and pretend no other cars exist.

The racing begins to stagnate, as does the local car industry. The local car industry lags behind and doesn't innovate, doesn't improve, just keeps making the same product without a thought to what else is happening, pretending other cars don't exist.

Admittedly, the Territory was a good response to the change over to SUVs, but on the whole people are buying less big sedans, but that's just about all we made.

Soon there won't be any Australian made cars, and certainly no Australian cars at Bathurst. It's likely in a few years, that after banning any other manufacturer, Holden and Ford will only be minor players in the great race, if involved at all.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #67
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway star View Post
What killed Bathurst for me this year and for ever more.

1. The only thing Ford or Holden was the badge on the cars.
2. How can you win a race when you never led a lap?
3. Listening to Mark Scaife for 6 hours talk about nothing but fuel and who had some or not, would drive any man to drink!
4. I missed the National anthem was it any good? because the rest was *****!
I can answer number 4. It was the worst rendition of the anthem I've ever heard.

But the race itself I enjoyed. It was uneventful for the first 90 odd laps but being at home with the family all glued to the TV made it all worth while. the latter part of the race was exciting, and for sure, I'll be tuning in again next year.

And as for number 2, that will all be sorted when the courts rule in Jamie's favour
Old 16-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #68
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I can answer number 4. It was the worst rendition of the anthem I've ever heard.

But the race itself I enjoyed. It was uneventful for the first 90 odd laps but being at home with the family all glued to the TV made it all worth while. the latter part of the race was exciting, and for sure, I'll be tuning in again next year.

And as for number 2, that will all be sorted when the courts rule in Jamie's favour
Nope wincups trio of ****ups has been confirmed

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorspo...092b1cf443cf55

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #69
Rob1964

Having been to Bathurst for the first time in 2015 I thoroughly enjoyed the venue and it's inspiring mountain plus the town itself with all the small business owners getting into the spirit with blue and red everywhere. As far as the race goes I'd like to see more cars in it. Why not have the top 10 Dunlop series cars enter the race ! That would definitely add more drama and it would give those guys a chance to show how good they are mixing it with the big boys. The top 10 Dunlop cars could be from the Saturdays race! So it gives more to the whole weekend! I miss the days when the grid wrapped around the end of the straight! And there were dramas unfolding right through out the race. I definitely think it should be put out there for opinions.
Rob1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #70
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I don’t know how ‘factual’ some of the dramatic scenes were, like, his A30 was never that pristine, straight and shiny with Mobil sponsorship, when Brock introduced himself to Moffat at a servo, and when Perkins walked out of HDT.
But the racing scenes were pretty spot on, yes, they did use wheel braces etc, everything was manual labour, and the drivers worked on the car because it was their car, mostly. The ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday’ mantra was very real.
My first trip to Bathurst was 1968, Bruce McPhee drove his Monaro to the race, won, and drove it home, so I understand very well what was, and what now is.
COTF was the end for me. Go-carts dressed up as Nascars. They may be quick, competitive, and very professional, but no soul, no identification with Fred Spectators car in the circuit carpark. And if you ignore the speeds, just like city peak hour traffic, all in a line, no passing allowed.
Slightly off topic, but I could only get 10 minutes into this poor example of Aussie drama.
The opening race sequences were so flawed with cars taking pathetic lines whilst allowing other cars to pass up the inside that it was nearly laughable, if it wasn't so embarrassing. The final moment for me was when a possible mechanic had his head over the A40 in the shed and said to Brock "yeah it's a burnt valve" apparently using his Xray vision. Then Brock startinmg wheeling over a liftingh frame to "pul the engine out" WTF pull the engine for a burnt valve on a 4 cylinder Austin? Were there any race drivers or mechanics at all advising these film makers? And the acting was circa 1970 Aussie as well.
It was a major cringefest.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #71
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I've only ever seen Bathurst on TV and one thing I do miss about it, which seems to have been removed from the past few years, is the live telemetry data and graphics they used to show during laps, including gears, speed, tacho, brake, etc.

Sometimes the commentators have even gone quite for a couple of minutes to let us enjoy the "experience" of a race lap.

Maybe they only do this during the shootouts these days? I didn't see that part.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #72
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
Slightly off topic, but I could only get 10 minutes into this poor example of Aussie drama.
The opening race sequences were so flawed with cars taking pathetic lines whilst allowing other cars to pass up the inside that it was nearly laughable, if it wasn't so embarrassing. The final moment for me was when a possible mechanic had his head over the A40 in the shed and said to Brock "yeah it's a burnt valve" apparently using his Xray vision. Then Brock startinmg wheeling over a liftingh frame to "pul the engine out" WTF pull the engine for a burnt valve on a 4 cylinder Austin? Were there any race drivers or mechanics at all advising these film makers? And the acting was circa 1970 Aussie as well.
It was a major cringefest.
Several good points there, but I don't think that they made this mini-series for car nuts like us. It was riddled with technical errors. The story was more about his life, not so much cars & car racing.

On the topic of the Austin, it was an A30, not an A40. Also it had a Holden 179 engine, not the original Austin motor.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #73
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fear not production car fans, and fans who like a big grid full of diverse types of vehicle that you can actually buy:

http://bathurst6hour.com.au/news-huge-grid-building

That, to this mug punter, is real racing. Like the races of legend I read about, but with today's cars.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2016, 02:35 AM   #74
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Bring back the Bull Ring.

Those that experienced it back in the 80’s & 90’s will tell you there is no video to show you just how wild it really was.

One night I watched a young P plater destroy his father's brand new Statesman, he kept sliding it in the dust bowl and ramming into the trees until there was almost nothing left of it.

Ah the days when Bathurst was a spectator sport.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #75
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose the fun police have put an end to that?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #76
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I suppose the fun police have put an end to that?
Lawyers and insurance companies, most likely.

People always enjoy themselves until they suffer self inflicted injuries.

Then they want to sue someone.

Anyone will do...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #77
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Those videos look very similar to B&S balls of today...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #78
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Several good points there, but I don't think that they made this mini-series for car nuts like us. It was riddled with technical errors. The story was more about his life, not so much cars & car racing.

On the topic of the Austin, it was an A30, not an A40. Also it had a Holden 179 engine, not the original Austin motor.

Dr Terry
This was your 308 post Terry, go the Holden's

Brock's heap was suppose to be a Austin A40 that he had on the farm or was it the first race car he had as well.
I think that blue A30 they showed was what brock built much later in the year 2000 or so.

My mate next door had a Austin A40 open chasse heap like Brock had as a kid on the farm, but my mates heap was with a Holden 149 in it and a lot of other A40's as well on his property that we thrashed and he had some over on Fraser Island as well.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #79
Carrion

Thumbs up Re: Bathurst boring.

Toilet rolls soaked in petrol, light and thrown into the crowd. Lol the memories that brings back.

Bathurst was never boring back then.
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #80
peteb57
Starter Motor

Bathurst does look boring, cars all look the same.
A shot of MOPAR may make it interesting, the "lazarus" of Charger !!
Now that would really be a sell, Imagine the big 3 back on the track with today's tech. V8 Charger, Monaro (or Torana ), Ford GT, and the rest.

peteb57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #81
Strange1

The 2 most boring words in motorsport... "Conserve fuel" urgh!

Some rounds they have a compulsory amount of fuel that needs to be dispensed, maybe Bathurst needs that as well...
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #82
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Then when they stopped being Holden and Fords and became instead silhouette bodyshells on the COTF platform it became even worse..
Blame NASCAR.
V8SC has this mentality that they must copy NASCAR in order to be as profitable and get crowds like they do. Eventually our cars will be same body shells with different stickers to designate the manufacturer...
Old 22-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #83
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

NASCAR have had unique front are rear bodies for a couple of years now.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post