Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #61
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How many kms should be on a new car at delivery?

In a past life in computer manufacturing in Australia we had a small team who would pull computers off the end of line for real world testing; Random Out Of Box Audit (ROOBA). They were checked that all features ordered were present, all accessories, all custom software, and perform a Hot-Room test where the machine was run for up to a day in various heat cycles to make sure it worked. The machines that passed were boxed back up and sent on. They were statistically good machines ...
... If someone had done the equivalent for any car I purchased new I would be happy. So personally I wold be ok with higher delivery KM if it could be verified it was actually for "additional testing".
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #62
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I remember reading that they were taking random XR8's from the factory to Sunbury and back to ensure that the cars were operating exactly as they should. May explain why I had 76km on the odo.
Old 30-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #63
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there is anything loose or any unusual noises in the car, those roads between Campbellfield and Sunbury will sure as hell show it haha

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #64
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76
Well if i was buying a new car, i'd expect the car to have 0kms on it, other wise it isn't a new car anymore is it.
If I rocked up to a dealership to pick up my new car to find it had 0km on the clock, I'd be high-tailing it out of there and never going back. All that does is confirm that the dealer is not reputable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Well technically speaking if the car has been driven and used for test track ect it isn't new anymore is it.
Technically true. However, practicalities must come into it. And as described by others, it is impractical to have a car arrive at a dealer and then be made available to the purchaser with 0km on the odometer. To do so requires some fiddling, which in itself, is far worse than the original problem.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
What test does Ford Oz do to a new car that comes off the line anyway?
Does it do a few kms on a dyno or are they driven a certain distance.

If you are one to be worried about the Kms or have a limit of what you think should be on the Car then it should be highlighted when you are making the deal when purchasing.
They drive it from the line (after finished). To test areas and do balancing of the tail shaft and IRS. Its a few hundred meters. Then through a small squeak and rattle track that like about 1km. Then it goes over to Toll. Unless something wrong is found and needs fixing. At worst you'll see 3-5km.
Old 30-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #66
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
They do a quick test drive to check if the diff bushes will get the car to the dealership and maybe stop off for a milkshake.
I think you hit the nail right on the head, but They usually expect them to see the warranty out.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #67
brens

Mine was also delivered (picked up!!) with approx. 75k's on it. Who cares? It's got 3k on it now and it is still a new car, doesn't stink as bad as what it did for the first week though now.

The two new motorcycle I've purchased in my life both had zero on the ODO when delivered. In both instances I was a bit apprehensive riding away hoping that all the bolts had been done up tight. On the second ZX6, I got home to find the sump plug had only been done up finger tight with spots of oil in the wheel rim. Not happy is an understatement!

2015 Ford Falcon FGX XR8 in Emperor
brens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: