Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #61
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Buying car for my son - 2006 LS Focus Zetec (Manual) VS BA Series 1 Fairmont Ghia

AU series 1 Falcon Forte vs a Fairmont VCT

Yep .... the Forte everyday of the week.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #62
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying car for my son - 2006 LS Focus Zetec (Manual) VS BA Series 1 Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGM86 View Post
I find it amusing the number of people saying that Fairmonts are "old people cars". Fairmont as a name has plenty of heritage.

Would you consider an XR Fairmont 289 to be a boring old person's car? Are XY Fairmont GS 351s, XA and XB Fairmont GS Hardtops, XC Fairmont GXLs, XD and XE Fairmont Ghia ESPs, and EL Fairmont Ghias (with their Tickford XR6 motors) all boring old people cars? Were BF2 Ghias with their aggressive styling an old person's car? No way!

Fairmont was a great badge. Maybe I'm slightly biased though, my parents had a couple of V8 Fairmonts when I was young (an XW 302 and an XC 302 wagon)...
Fairmont is far from a boring old persons car. I like the old XD-XFs the best and I don't care that the XF didn't have a V8 option either
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #63
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would recommend a manual Focus (if it has to be Ford) . Diesel version is torquey and economical. Driving a manual is much better idea for a young driver if he is the type interested in actual skilled driving .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #64
markb

I have a BA wagon - worst car I have ever owned, it drives well enough and they can be a good thing but at around 200,000 k's on the clock it's a hideous collection of small stuff that goes wrong ALL the time.

Everything is worn out and ready to fall apart on these cars by this time as they are made to a price and really aren't expected to be on the road by now.

If you buy a Fairmont Ghia make sure it has low k's and a trans cooler AND in the southern states please make sure you check the climate control thoroughly as if that $10 mixer shaft fails or the stupidly expensive controller module you are up for $1000 in labour to remove the dash to replace it - no parts.

Parts are not cheap, they are more expensive than BMW parts - I paid $44 for 2 tiny little gaskets just yesterday and while 2nd hand engines etc ARE cheap, it's not much use if you have to pay $1000 for someone to swap it over for you?

if you buy a falcon just get a lower k's one 180,000 is asking for trouble IME.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #65
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Markb.... there is a thing called maintenance....

Some people maintain their cars, sadly some don't.
My 566,000kay Xcab drives like new... But I have replaced a few parts myself.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #66
nhmustang

Get him a BF MK2 Fairmont Ghia. They are the best value for money cars on the second hand market. I have one and it's great, heaps of power, super smooth and quiet to drive. I'm averaging 10.4L/100ks doing heavy city driving (only 6L/100ks on highway)!! Fuel economy depends on how heavy you are on the pedal, doesn't matter what car you drive.

Generally they were purchase by older folk when new and most on the second hand market have been well maintained.
nhmustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #67
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
AU series 1 Falcon Forte vs a Fairmont VCT

Yep .... the Forte everyday of the week.
We still have our old AU1 Futura, has been very reliable over the last 10 years (replaced last year with the Territory)... Its getting past on to the youngest lad...

Second youngest had a Xcab AU1 600k on the clock, overheated it twice. Welsh plug went and 3 days later heater pipe Grrrrr. It was the quickest LPG AU I have driven... It didn't look pretty but was great fun dusting VN-VT's in the area It just kept on keeping on....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #68
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
this might sound silly to some but a very relevant question to a young guy...

whats the respective 0-100km/h times of each of these cars? Young guys (assuming the condition/km of both is comparable) will always want the quicker car and better base for mods.

380 is the quickest in that list.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #69
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
380 is the quickest in that list.
but he wants a Ford. unless someones put Ford badges on a 380???
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #70
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Markb.... there is a thing called maintenance....

Some people maintain their cars, sadly some don't.
My 566,000kay Xcab drives like new... But I have replaced a few parts myself.
Agreed but it is sometimes a big burden trying to bridge a maintenance gap..thing is this car has 1 missed service (all at various ford dealers) in the service book to the current k's.

It's just a friday car unfortunately :-(
markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #71
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
We still have our old AU1 Futura, has been very reliable over the last 10 years (replaced last year with the Territory)... Its getting past on to the youngest lad...

Second youngest had a Xcab AU1 600k on the clock, overheated it twice. Welsh plug went and 3 days later heater pipe Grrrrr. It was the quickest LPG AU I have driven... It didn't look pretty but was great fun dusting VN-VT's in the area It just kept on keeping on....
and thats why I have had 6 AU's. Not because they kept breaking but because I kept going back to them.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #72
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
but he wants a Ford. unless someones put Ford badges on a 380???
I don't know why people keep suggesting the 380. It may be a good car, but it isn't a Ford.

That's reason enough for me not to buy it over a Ford, and I can definitely understand if others feel the same way.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #73
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

If he isn't worried about fuel consumption, and likes the BA Ghia interior, when it sounds like the BA (or a BF) would be the way to go. Cheap to buy, plenty of parts, and still safe.

Safety-wise, BA I & II Ghias have front & side airbags, traction control, but no ESC stability/braking control. They have the 4 speed auto.

BF I & II Ghias have the BA specs, plus stability/braking control, & the 6 speed.

My BF I Fairmont doesn't have a leather interior (it's velour), and doesn't have a colour screen, but it has the same safety features of a BA I/II Ghia & still has dual zone & electric everything. Does your son specifically want the colour screen & leather seats? If not, then a BF Fairmont could be an alternative to a Ghia. Then again Ghias are more sale-able, being the recognised flagship model & all.

It really depends on what kind of driving he'll be doing. If I did city driving I'd go a hatch over a Falcon, for fuel savings and parking ease (which is exactly why a mate of mine swapped from his BA to a hatch), but each to their own.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post